• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghibli99

As far as hibernation issues, I have never once in my life been able to get sleep to work with an OC'd machine. But really, I never use sleep in the first place. No good if you have an SSD too.
This is good to know since this just happened to me last night.

Prozel

Thanks for the answers guys! Even though it sucks right to save up more, but hell if AMD doesn't work I should of course not buy it.

Intel it is!

ghibli99

I currently have an Asus P6T w/ I7 920... if I get a new mobo and proc, will I be OK to move my primary boot drive (SSD) over? I really don't want to reinstall everything if I don't have to, but would love to hear from folks who have upgraded this way.

scogoth

In terms of $:performance, it most certainly isn't.

I'm man enough to say that my purchase of a 690, 7970, and three 670s is not based on a carefully calculated cost:performance analysis. I'm fucking crazy, and that's okay.

For people aiming to get 60fps @ 1080p, 670/7970 now and upgrade when it gets long in the tooth is the best way to go.

I feel like the person who *needs* the 680 is the type of person who isn't posting for advice on a build, but maybe just notifying of their recent purchase of two 680s and waterblocks.

=D

mkenyon

Banned
I built a pc back in June with lots of guidance and help from this thread. You guys are doing God's work.

My question now: I'm thinking about getting one of those Korean 27" IPS panels. Is this stupid? Can my 7850 even handle the resolution bump?
It'd be pushing it in a lot of games. Getting a second 7850 would help quite a bit, but then you'll be dealing with crossfire profiles for all of your games. It'll straight work with a number of them, but you'll need to create custom profiles for a lot of new releases or even current games that are out there.

I still say 120hz > anything though.
I currently have an Asus P6T w/ I7 920... if I get a new mobo and proc, will I be OK to move my primary boot drive (SSD) over? I really don't want to reinstall everything if I don't have to, but would love to hear from folks who have upgraded this way.
With a different socket/chipset/proc, you will most definitely want to do a fresh install. Use the USB tool, it'll take an hour of your time.

Castcoder

Banned
So I'm on the fence on if I should get the 3770K processor or not. Is it really worth the investment? I have my build down to about $1300 now.

It'd be pushing it in a lot of games. Getting a second 7850 would help quite a bit, but then you'll be dealing with crossfire profiles for all of your games. It'll straight work with a number of them, but you'll need to create custom profiles for a lot of new releases or even current games that are out there.

I still say 120hz > anything though.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I definitely don't want to hassle with crossfire. And I'm pretty sure that 27" would dominate my desk anyway. I'll look in 24" 120hz monitors! Any suggestions for models/brands? I couldn't be less interested in 3D, and would absolutely not pay any extra money for that "feature."

beje

Banned
Argh, the stupid cunts at Pixmania borked my HD7850 delivery, and after sending me a mail and an SMS telling me the parcel arrived at the store and I could go pick it up, it was nowhere to be found and they had to order it again to arrive ON MONDAY because Friday is Bank Holiday here. Want my advice? never EVER shop there if you need something urgently.

I bet they just sold it to someone else in store thinking it was regular stock without checking if it was an order for someone else.

Ty4on

At that point it would make more sense to just go microATX, it seems.

Up here at least all AMD mATX mobos are outdated and very poor for overclocking. They're all using outdated chipsets because the newer ones haven't got integrated graphics and I've yet to find one with 8pin power let alone mosfet cooling.

It is interesting now that the bulldozers are so cheap. If you overclock an 8120 it will still suck at gaming, but be amazing bang for buck for heavily threaded tasks. The 8150 tends to fall between the i5 and i7 in threaded tasks like video encoding and rendering. That was awful when the 8150 cost more than the 2500k, but now the 8120 is now just a hair more expensive than an i3 and it's pretty much just a lower clocked 8150. It will need a lot of power and a somewhat decent mobo, but it could make for a decent work computer for some.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

Did you read the OP? Since this is a comfy couch build, I'd point you towards the SFF builds. Click the bit.ly link that has SFF written in it.

Ooh, didn't honestly. Did now. Got a fairly solid system semi-built, let's see what GAF thinks.

1) i7 3770K
2) ASUS 98z77
2) Corsair 16GB RAM (what NewEgg has as a shocker special)
4) 1TB WD Black (not interested in SSD)
5) Gigabyte 670GTX 2GB
6) Cooler Master XAF
7) Cooler Master Heatsink
8) 750W Corsair PSU (already owned)

So, this is good? I am minutes from pulling the trigger :p Just shy of $1200

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I do have one lingering question... does the HDMI in the 670 output 5.1 audio? Or do I need something else?

Turrican3

No idea on question 1, but TRIM is a OS level process that basically does garbage collection on an SSD to increase the life of it. It's less necessary with current gen SSDs as they all have firmware level garbage collection. Unless you want this SSD to last you a really long time (7+ years), it's not something I would really worry about.
Thanks!

So I take that my new Samsung SSD 830 series is one of those newer devices that don't really need TRIMming (or, well, not so much), and that anyway, TRIM itself being an OS-level feature should be done with each and every operating system I have installed on the SSD, so basically on a dual boot system with Win7 + Linux Xubuntu both of them should, theretically speaking, TRIM their own partition(s).

Is this correct?

EDIT: since we're in the right topic I guess... is there any internal (PCIex), cheap, full-hardware ( = no driver necessary, disks seen as a single drive regardless of RAID mode chosen) RAID1 solution nowadays?

I can see there are lots of RAID PCIex controllers around, but I'm not sure they actually work the way I'd like them to (as I said, no need for drivers at OS-level, by the way I assume some kind of BIOS-level configuration/ROM would be necessary for setup and things like that...)

mkenyon

Banned
Slipstream, you mean? I've always meant to do this.
Nope.

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

That's the ISO for win 7 and the USB tool. Both legit, from Microsoft.
So I'm on the fence on if I should get the 3770K processor or not. Is it really worth the investment? I have my build down to about $1300 now.
If multimedia stuff is going to be a big portion of use, yes. Otherwise, no.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I definitely don't want to hassle with crossfire. And I'm pretty sure that 27" would dominate my desk anyway. I'll look in 24" 120hz monitors! Any suggestions for models/brands? I couldn't be less interested in 3D, and would absolutely not pay any extra money for that "feature."
Samsung S23A750D since you have an AMD card.
Ooh, didn't honestly. Did now. Got a fairly solid system semi-built, let's see what GAF thinks.

1) i7 3770K
2) ASUS 98z77
2) Corsair 16GB RAM (what NewEgg has as a shocker special)
4) 1TB WD Black (not interested in SSD)
5) Gigabyte 670GTX 2GB
6) Cooler Master XAF
7) Cooler Master Heatsink
8) 750W Corsair PSU (already owned)

So, this is good? I am minutes from pulling the trigger :p Just shy of $1200
Some of these are missing specifics, like the motherboard. But, as I pointed out above, if you aren't doing multimedia, the 3770K isn't worth it over the 3570K. Otherwise, looks good.

*edit* Also, yeah, it will output sound via HDMI.
Thanks!

So I take that my new Samsung SSD 830 series is one of those newer devices that don't really need TRIMming (or, well, not so much), and that anyway, TRIM itself being an OS-level feature should be done with each and every operating system I have installed on the SSD, so basically on a dual boot system with Win7 + Linux Xubuntu both of them should, theretically speaking, TRIM their own partition(s).

Is this correct?
There was a link a guy posted a page back about differences between TRIM and GC. I didn't get a chance to read over it yet, but I would do that before listening to me.

*edit* Here we go:

Tess3ract

Banned
Which will be better with emulation under Dolphin/PCSX2/etc?

3570k @ 4.5
3770k @ 4.5

I want to make sure I have the best of the best here.

bro1

Banned
Just started my build! I got the Samsung 830 SSD on the NE quick draw deal for $79.99.

Two questions. If I have zero intentions of OCing, is there any reason to buy a K CPU?

Also, I need to cut some fat out of my budget. Is the GTX660TI that much better then the vanila 660?

Tess3ract

Banned
There's no reason to not OC your i5 cpu, you can easily put it to like 4.2 on stock cooling, and it gives a somewhat substantial boost for free.

It's like someone paying $20 for a $15 item at the corner store, and telling them to keep the change. Why??

mkenyon

Banned
Just started my build! I got the Samsung 830 SSD on the NE quick draw deal for $79.99.

Two questions. If I have zero intentions of OCing, is there any reason to buy a K CPU?

Also, I need to cut some fat out of my budget. Is the GTX660TI that much better then the vanila 660?
7850>660 in just about every way.

You also will indeed want to OC your chip. Hit F8 when booting. Go into CPU settings, change multiplier to 41. Boot into windows. Nothing left to do. It's really that easy.

Post your proposed build, might be some other places to trim. $10-20 here and there adds up quick.

Tess3ract

Banned
If I'm running with two monitors, and hope to game on one, and in the future would like to upgrade one of my 1680x1050 monitors to 2560x1440/1600 and keep my 1920x1200 as well.

Should I get a 660ti or a 670?

bro1

Banned
There's no reason to not OC your i5 cpu, you can easily put it to like 4.2 on stock cooling, and it gives a somewhat substantial boost for free.

It's like someone paying $20 for a $15 item at the corner store, and telling them to keep the change. Why??

it's really that easy? I haven't built a system in a long time and OCing always gave me trouble.

bro1

Banned
Here is my proposed system. Tell me where I can save some money. Like I said before, I wasn't planning on OCing but if you can walk me through it, I will.

Intel Core i5-3550 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I53550 - Intel
$194.99

ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Asus
$138.99

SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD
$79.99

Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - TX650 - Corsair
$89.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2048MB GDDR5 DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP, SLI Graphics Card (02G-P4-3660-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-3660-KR - EVGA
$299.99

Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R Mid-Tower Computer Case (CC-9011014-WW) - Corsair
$74.71

Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) - Asus
$23.49

Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B - Corsair
$37.99

mkenyon

Banned
Here is my proposed system. Tell me where I can save some money. Like I said before, I wasn't planning on OCing but if you can walk me through it, I will.

*snip*
Swap motherboard for ASRock Pro 4, case for Diablotek Evo or NZXT Source 210 Elite, and PSU for Antec BP550. Up the processor to the 'K' model.
Please elaborate.
More VRAM (660 is more like 1.6GB), lower price, higher OC headroom. They already trade back and forth a bit on benchmarks. A comfortable 5-10% bump in performance via moving sliders is easily achievable without a noticeable impact on anything.
If I'm running with two monitors, and hope to game on one, and in the future would like to upgrade one of my 1680x1050 monitors to 2560x1440/1600 and keep my 1920x1200 as well.

Should I get a 660ti or a 670?
It's hard for me to recommend a card that doesnt have 3 or 4GB of VRAM for 2560x1440. I think you should look at the 7950. At higher resolutions, it has its way with the 660Ti and competes fairly well with the 670. That's not taking into account OC headroom (which AMD is seemingly fond of this generation).

Stubo

Built another PC today (not for me) using the R4, what an amazing case. Quite jealous that it didn't exist when I put mine together! (Fractal Arc Midi)

The difference between modular and regular power supplies is ridiculous in these cases with lots of space out back to hide the cables. I now feel quite stupid for picking modular and clogging up the bottom of my case with cables. A learning experience indeed!

Alienups

Got a call from the pc shop earlier. Guy told me that he was worried about the airflow in my case because it's pretty big so he asked permission to install a SCYTHE Mugen III cooler. Excellent service (if i wasn't ripped off)

mkenyon

Banned
That heatsink is ridiculously awesome, in a laughing and serious at the same time sort of way.

177d1ddf2746a4e892900934096b7bf7.JPG

Tess3ract

Banned
Swap motherboard for ASRock Pro 4, case for Diablotek Evo or NZXT Source 210 Elite, and PSU for Antec BP550. Up the processor to the 'K' model.

More VRAM (660 is more like 1.6GB), lower price, higher OC headroom. They already trade back and forth a bit on benchmarks. A comfortable 5-10% bump in performance via moving sliders is easily achievable without a noticeable impact on anything.

It's hard for me to recommend a card that doesnt have 3 or 4GB of VRAM for 2560x1440. I think you should look at the 7950. At higher resolutions, it has its way with the 660Ti and competes fairly well with the 670. That's not taking into account OC headroom (which AMD is seemingly fond of this generation).

I don't want ATI. I want supersampling bits. AMD supersampling is a pain in the ass.

I'll possibly get a second gfx card much later.

Thraktor

Interesting reading for anyone thinking of getting a Trinity APU.

Apparently increasing RAM clocks from 1333MT/s to 2133MT/s boosts framerates in Arkham City by 40%. Much greater benefit than overclocking the GPU itself. DiRT3 benefit was smaller, but still around 25%. It was something I'd thought might benefit the integrated graphics, but I hadn't imagined by that much. Getting some Samsung 30nm RAM up to 2400MT/s+ and overclocking the GPU should give a 50%+ boost in framerates in some games.

Done!

34jhssx.jpg

Mobo: Asus Rampage 4 Extreme
CPU: i7 3820 (OC @ 5.0)
GPU: 2x 690 GTX
Cooler: H100
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: Corsair 1200
Media/Games: 2X 1TB Samsung 7200rpm (RAID 0)
Drive: Plextor Bluray
Case: HAF X

In action:

photoqnskb.jpg

8339_original_YesJackNicholson.gif

mkenyon

Banned
What are your settings on the 3820 to get it to 5.0? TBH, I'm somewhat surprised the H100 can handle those kinds of volts.

I'm sure Sk3tch has some pointers on getting quad-SLI to work in a lot of games if you need any help with that. Also make sure you have the supplementary PCI-E power cable plugged in. Can't see it there, but I think it's obstructed.

ghibli99

670 OC arrived to replace my 285... ran my 3DMark and Heaven baselines on the old card. Curious to see what things will be like after this. :)

LQX

Done!

http://www.abload.de/img/34jhssx.jpg[IMG]

Mobo: Asus Rampage 4 Extreme
CPU: i7 3820 (OC @ 5.0)
GPU: 2x 690 GTX
Cooler: H100
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: Corsair 1200
Media/Games: 2X 1TB Samsung 7200rpm (RAID 0)
Drive: Plextor Bluray
Case: HAF X

In action:

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/photoqnskb.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://pichars.org/store/8339_original_YesJackNicholson.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Great system buy why skimp on the SSD's?

mkenyon

Banned
Im curious: in what specific situation/game would you require to work with what's basically 4 680s?

is he gonna game on 4k? :p
There's basically zero scaling after Tri-SLI. It's for benchmarks.
and epeen
Great system buy why skimp on the SSD's?
???? Force GT's are some of the fastest/best SSDs out there.
How do you guys manage to make your computers look so clean, I have cables everywhere.
Cable management guide in the OP.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Finally purchased this...

1 x ($399.99) GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$399.99

1 x ($329.99) Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
$329.99

1 x ($149.99) ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$149.99

1 x ($109.99) Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
$109.99

1 x ($59.99) CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
$59.99

1 x ($30.99) COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+
$30.99

1 x ($15.99) LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
$15.99

1 x ($9.99) Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM - OEM
$9.99

2 x ($3.49) Nippon Labs Model SATA3-0.5M 19.7" SATA III Flat Cable with Latch
$6.98

Subtotal: $1113.90
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $1113.90

PLUS! From Amazon!!

A 1 "Cooler Master 690 II Advanced Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 Ports and X-Dock (RC-692A-KKN5)"

Did I do good GAF?!?!

Panzon

Found a tech store not too far from me that price matches newegg. Super stoked about it and they have the i7 3770k for $280. Gonna go go check em out sometime next week and see what the store is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom