• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

new WD HDD is producing a low reading noise every like 5 seconds during windows idle

normal? for some reason it's annoying me, but then again what noise doesnt

ghibli99

The 920 @ 4GHz survived Prime95 all night and things have been rock-solid today. Not a 24-hour test or anything, and who knows, maybe this is giving me a false sense of confidence. So far, so good though.

Straxus

try uninstalling your drivers and then reinstalling them.

Alright. I uninstalled the drivers (306.23 - including drive sweeper) and installed the updated (306.97). Crysis is just a black screen on boot. No EA logo.

GTA IV had the same freeze issue, but then I downgraded to (v1.0.4.0), and played for a few hours. No problems (beside the shit frame rate).

Crysis 2. No problems (except for windows secruity warning that black screened the game before I could save).

I guess I'll just have to keep working at it.

Prime95 ran for 10-16 hours. No problems. So I guess I have t test gpu and ram.

Thanks, nerdy1

What am I doing wrong with the stock HSF installation of my i3?

The twist clip arrows are not touching the side of the heatsink. I push down real hard then lock it by twisting the clips to the right so that the arrows directly point to the heatsink. Problem is I can still pull the clips up pretty easily.

Edit: Checked beneath the motherboard and made sure everything is inserted properly. I think two pins weren't secured.
9cA4G.jpg

Temps went down by ~12c so I'm 53c idle. Huge improvement.

kakashi08

I need to get a nice gaming laptop.
Do you guys/gals recommend "Alienware M18x" ? Need a MinimuM screen of 17inch.
Price does not matter, but what I need is to play the latest games on it and keep the laptop for couple of years. 2-4 years :)
Any of you had a good luck with those?
Or any gaming laptop :) ?

Edit: NVM. Should've posted this to the "gamer approved laptop". I guess. Lol

Jburton

Banned

The twist clip arrows are not touching the side of the heatsink. I push down real hard then lock it by twisting the clips to the right so that the arrows directly point to the heatsink. Problem is I can still pull the clips up pretty easily.

Edit: Checked beneath the motherboard and made sure everything is inserted properly. I think two pins weren't secured.

53c is a very high idle temp, unless your ambient (room temp) is insanely high.

Maybe clean off the processor and heatsink and reapply thermal grease and try reseating.

For example my i5 is clocked at 3.7ghz and it idles around 30c on the stock cooler.

53c is a very high idle temp, unless your ambient (room temp) is insanely high.

Maybe clean off the processor and heatsink and reapply thermal grease and try reseating.

For example my i5 is clocked at 3.7ghz and it idles around 30c on the stock cooler.

Yeah, my ambient temp is kinda hot. I'll estimate 30c.

Here's after an hour of playing Dark Souls.

2rt8g.jpg

ITS ALIVE, ALIVE MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i haven't installed the os yet but according to the MSI bios its temp is around 45 degrees Celsius, is that alright for stock (fans are apparently on auto)?

and godamn its quiet as hell so far :O

Yea, even at 30C ambient, you should still be getting something around ~40C idle.

its like around 43 - 46 but i realized i made an error with the cooler and i'm also noticing some better paths for cable management so i'm gonna deal with those tomorrow.

that's what i get for being massively rusty in building a PC LOL

deleted

I want to build a silent couch-PC.
Right now, I'll probably buy this case, because it has its front cooler hidden and looks really good:
SilverStone Sugo SG06

Because of the case, I have to pay special attention at the length of the cards:

These two seem to fit and look alright for my price category (has to be Nvidia):
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC or ASUS GTX660-DC2O

I've read a bit about the ASUS one and it seems to be really quiet, but I can't find any information about the Gigabyte 660.

Rest of the stuff I have in mind:
G.Skill 2x4 GB
i5-2450P, 4x 3.20GHz (its not Ivy, but I can get a good used one for 70 EUR)
ASRock H67M-ITX/HT, H67 (B3)
Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB

That's more than enough to play everything on the market right now and possibly even UE4 games on 720p (wishful thinking). What about Dolphin? The CPU is to slow for that, right?

What do you think GAF? I know I could get faster stuff for my money with a bigger case, but thats not my goal. What graphics-card would you recommend? Any experience with the ones I have in mind?

Quoting myself - Can anyone help me out here?

Sethos

Banned
So, can anyone point me in the right direction if I want to downsample on my U3011? Found a guy to the custom resolution downsampling but I've never read anything that incomprehensible. Didn't understand a word. Looking for some easy guide / settings for my monitor.

The joys of games where AA just isn't working ...

Began ordering parts. After 3 successful orders from Amazon, I ordered something from Overclockers UK and typed in the wrong online security code.

After I re-typed the online security code correctly at Overclockers, it came up with a message immediately saying there was a problem and that they'd call me tomorrow to confirm my order over the phone.

Now my card is being declined at Amazon and Scan and I'm getting emails from both places saying they are having issues with processing payment, despite having Amazon taking money out of my account and confirming my order for the 3 parts I ordered before I went to Overclockers.

Is it possible that my bank has flagged my purchase history / typing in the wrong verification code as suspicious and cancelled my card?

I can't believe this shit, I want my PC!

Edit, they did block my card, jerks!

Xdrive05

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70111&vpn=AX7970 3GBD5-2DHV3&manufacture=PowerColor&promoid=1258

$360 7970, Powercolor with a decent aftermarket heatsink. Insane deal. This thing competes with the 680.

As a pc gamer on a budget, stuff like this really makes me want to jump ship to AMD. But I actually do really like physx...

What's the state of AMD driver support these days? Nvidia is still awesome at regular updates and stable/quality drivers in general (the other reason I haven't felt the need to switch yet).

My SSD was supposed to arrive today, but I was sleeping when the postman came and didn't hear the doorbell. Now I have to wait until monday.

Weekend ruined.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171646

This a good SSD gaf?

Only one at stock at the hardware store and the dude called me to tell me I could just trade the WB hdd I got today for it since he knew I originally wanted one

...but for $80 more, you can get twice the space. For $140 more, you can get awesome :D

I keep pushing this PCI-E solution but PC-Gaf doesn't want to buy what I'm peddling ;_;

I will say this: On a fresh install of windows 7, Malwarebytes did a scan of 84000 files in 144 seconds on my RevoDrive (Edit: MSE was doing a full system scan in the background while this was happening, It started before malwarebytes and finished before it as well... too much powa!).

mug

That's still quite high for an i3. I'd suggest reseating the cooler after cleaning and applying new thermal paste. The trick with the stock cooler is to get the clear plastic pins through the motherboard first and MAKE SURE they are all through - then press down on the clips to insert the black spacer to lock it in place.

sixthsense

Neo Member
Hey guys, my motherboard temperature is nearly at 80'C after playing World of warcraft for a while. What kind of cooling do I need ? just more case fans and one more thing is the 42'C for CPU and 32'C for GPU alright ?

Edit : I use speccy to check the temperature.

...but for $80 more, you can get twice the space. For $140 more, you can get awesome :D

I keep pushing this PCI-E solution but PC-Gaf doesn't want to buy what I'm peddling ;_;

I will say this: On a fresh install of windows 7, Malwarebytes did a scan of 84000 files in 144 seconds on my RevoDrive (Edit: MSE was doing a full system scan in the background while this was happening, It started before malwarebytes and finished before it as well... too much powa!).

Ooooh thank you for bringing this to my attention :)

Salsa

this thread is doing bad things to me

E6eh0.png

alright so: should I go about upgrading the firmware before installing the OS in it?

guess it's safe to just format it as NTFS and such right out of the gate?

I'm looking to spend aprox 220-280 in a graphic card but I'm not quite sure what to get. I'm looking at:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...n_HD_7870_2048MB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card

What say GAF on this I also have 600 watt power supply and an i7 3820 with the card.

You can comfortably drive a 670 on a 500W PSU so I think you are good for whatever you get but at that price point, you may get more bang for the buck with an AMD card.

EDIT: didn't see your upper limit of $280: this?

Benchmark comparisons (chipset)?

Salsa

according to the corsair firmware upgrade tool im at 5.02 firmware and 5.03 came out late august

wondering if I should even bother.. there's no changelog available

Salsa

found a changelog:

CHANGE LOG

1. Restored a minor TRIM performance variation from a previous release
2. Fixed a power management condition where the device failed to respond to COMWAKE, which might have resulted in the SSD not responding without being reset by the host

ehhhhhhh

how risky is upgrading it? the corsair pdf file sure scares the crap out of me with all the warnings on what could go wrong

scogoth

Day 2 of watercooling and making good progress. My fingers hurt but its worth it.
FrozenCPU sent me the wrong part for the SLI bridge so only one GPU for now. Going to get some black screws to replace the copper ones that came with the radiators and maybe get some black motherboard blocks to replace the blue.

Tau

He probably thought you were asking for a modem because you said (ADSL). Your connection type doesn't matter unless you have a combination wireless router and modem. Do you have a separate DSL modem? Or is it all in one box?

Anyways wired for gaming is preferred but if that is impossible then I'd look at a wireless N router. This may help or it may not depending on what is causing the signal to decrease by the time it reaches your PC.

Oh right well it must be all in one box (combination type), yeah I mean I was thinking of going wired may have to be an option.

If distance from the router is the issue then wireless N will not help, same goes if an obstruction is the issue.

I think N would only be helpful if the bandwidth provided by G is not enough.

My old Linksys WRT54G was capable of giving me an excellent wireless connection and latency, but all the N routers I've used have sucked unless I was in the same room.

Yeah I was looking at wireless N, since my current router is upstairs and my PC is directly underneath the signal still drops in online gaming, may just be best to wire it. Thanks guys.

Day 2 of watercooling and making good progress. My fingers hurt but its worth it.
FrozenCPU sent me the wrong part for the SLI bridge so only one GPU for now. Going to get some black screws to replace the copper ones that came with the radiators and maybe get some black motherboard blocks to replace the blue.

What's the noise level on your radiator fans and your pump?

scogoth

What's the noise level on your radiator fans and your pump?

Right now? 0 I haven't run it yet.
Need to go buy some distilled water and run it for a bit. Then PSU wiring, add sound card and other stuff, test some more and then OCing, more testing, then benching marking, then finally I can game!

kharma45

You can comfortably drive a 670 on a 500W PSU so I think you are good for whatever you get but at that price point, you may get more bang for the buck with an AMD card.

EDIT: didn't see your upper limit of $280: this?

Benchmark comparisons (chipset)?

That benchmark is for the Ti version.

This is the 7870 vs the normal 660

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660

Welcome to the future! Nothing else makes your PC feel so snappy

I don't even have any other storage medium (besides RAM) on my new rig other than my SSD... I don't even want to give the system an oportunity to cache on something slower.

Strange side-effect for those running 32GB of RAM
Between my Hibernation and Paging files, I've lost 60+GB of my 223MB (after formatting) SSD :(
I will go in and cheese down the paging file but I doubt I can do much about the hibernation file since I like suspend and resume.

scogoth

I don't even have any other storage medium (besides RAM) on my new rig other than my SSD... I don't even want to give the system an oportunity to cache on something slower.

Strange side-effect for those running 32GB of RAM
Between my Hibernation and Paging files, I've lost 60+GB of my 223MB (after formatting) SSD :(
I will go in and cheese down the paging file but I doubt I can do much about the hibernation file since I like suspend and resume.

Disable hibernation, delete hibernation file and with 32GB you can probably disable paging unless you actually use that much RAM

Roki6

Banned
I need some help.

I've just bought a MSI GTX 670 Power Edition OC. It requires two PCI-e 6-pin power connectors.

My power supply is a Thermaltake Smart M550W (Modular) which has one PCI-e cable with a 8 pin and 6+2 pin connectors.

Since I can't connect the 8 pin connector I figured I'd just use the 2 molex to 6-pin PCI-e adapters that came with the graphics card.

But those adapters don't fit inside the power connectors on the graphics card.

The PCI-e connector on the adapter:

round-round-square
square-SQUARE-round

The PCI-e connector on the graphics card:

round-round-square
square-ROUND-round

Am I doing something wrong or are those faulty adapters?! I mean they came with the graphics card.

Photos:

Salsa

anyone remember what was that website/application that was like an executable with all the must-have free software on a fresh windows install? would come in handy now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom