• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Need some advice, I'm caught between two CPUs that will work with my PC, not sure what the difference between em is besides the series names and the price.

It's either this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4615717&csid=_61

Or this one.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6394302&csid=_61

This would be my choice from Newegg for $85 as another option

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

Although if it had to be from the two you've listed the Phenom.

deleted

One last try:

I'm indecisive between two graphics-cards for a new PC. They should be pretty silent and have to be of a certain lenght because they have to fit into this case:
62735wtx12.jpg
SilverStone Sugo SG06

After searching for a while, the best fit seem to be either one of those two:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC or ASUS GTX660-DC2O

I find these two appealing in features and price, but I can't find any tests or details about the Gigabyte 660. Is it a good choice considering that its much cheaper than the ASUS one? Or is that one worth the extra buck?

Hyphen

Hi guys. UK gamer here looking to replace my 10 year-old PC. Only thing I'm looking to keep from it is my Creative Speakers. I'll be limited to the selection of parts provided by Cyber Power Systems, as I have no desire to put the system together myself. But they seem to have quite an extensive selection of parts to choose from. I'll be gaming at 1080p, and also looking to do some picture and video editing.

I've kept my eye on this thread (and Part 1) for ages, which has made me change/learn a few things - Upgraded the CPU due to my usage and downgraded the PSU which was overkill. And apparently my motherboard (previously selected an Asus Sabertooth) was slight overkill too.

So anyway, here I am looking for views on my current selection of parts below. At the moment, money isn't really an object, but I don't want to go unnecessarily overboard...

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
CPU: i7-3770K
Cooling: Arctic Freezer i30 CPU Fan
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Intel Z77 Chipset
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston DDR3/1333MHz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB
PSU: Corsair 650Watts CMPSU-650TXV2
Hard Drive 1: 256 GB Crucial M4 Series SATA III
Hard Drive 2: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive
Optical Drive: 24X DVD±R/±RW
Sound: Creative SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional Series

Many thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I keep quoting your posts, then see you already did something!
I need some help.

I've just bought a MSI GTX 670 Power Edition OC. It requires two PCI-e 6-pin power connectors.

My power supply is a Thermaltake Smart M550W (Modular) which has one PCI-e cable with a 8 pin and 6+2 pin connectors.

Since I can't connect the 8 pin connector I figured I'd just use the 2 molex to 6-pin PCI-e adapters that came with the graphics card.

But those adapters don't fit inside the power connectors on the graphics card.

The PCI-e connector on the adapter:

round-round-square
square-SQUARE-round

The PCI-e connector on the graphics card:

round-round-square
square-ROUND-round

Am I doing something wrong or are those faulty adapters?! I mean they came with the graphics card.

Photos:
I'd just file the molex connector. Does the 8 pin not fit on the side of the 6 pin slot on the GPU?
One last try:

I'm indecisive between two graphics-cards for a new PC. They should be pretty silent and have to be of a certain lenght because they have to fit into this case:

I find these two appealing in features and price, but I can't find any tests or details about the Gigabyte 660. Is it a good choice considering that its much cheaper than the ASUS one? Or is that one worth the extra buck?
GB 660 based on their 670/680 line.

Those cards from GB and ASUS are both very nice, but ASUS has that price premium. I think many here including myself are very happy with their GB 670's for cheaper.
What do you all recommend as far as a mechanical keyboard for gaming?
See the Accessories section in the OP and Mech KB thread in there.
Maybe pickout something you like the look of, functionality, if you need a numpad, and the types of keys you think you want.
Hi guys. UK gamer here looking to replace my 10 year-old PC. Only thing I'm looking to keep from it is my Creative Speakers. I'll be limited to the selection of parts provided by Cyber Power Systems, as I have no desire to put the system together myself. But they seem to have quite an extensive selection of parts to choose from. I'll be gaming at 1080p, and also looking to do some picture and video editing.

I've kept my eye on this thread (and Part 1) for ages, which has made me change/learn a few things - Upgraded the CPU due to my usage and downgraded the PSU which was overkill. And apparently my motherboard (previously selected an Asus Sabertooth) was slight overkill too.

So anyway, here I am looking for views on my current selection of parts below. At the moment, money isn't really an object, but I don't want to go unnecessarily overboard...

Many thanks.
Maybe someone else can chime in for other prebuilt options in the UK. I think you can do better than CyberPower.
Apart from that fill out the sheet in the OP so I know your relative budget and what you actually want/need to do with the PC.

That said, all the part selection is good. Only thing I'd swap is the Audio card for: 1) Nothing, or 2) The Xonar DGX

Ty4on

I'm not sure as those cards are "only" 130W TDP, but dual/triple fan coolers like that will blow most of the exaust air into your case. Blowers are perfect for small cases because they exaust all the air, but blowers that fit in your case are usually noisy (Nvidias blowers for 670/660ti/660 buzz because the fan is mounted to plastic). Radial blow half the air out, half of it into the case. Reference radials usually only use an aluminium heatsink which forces the fan to run at a high speed, but non reference ones with a better heatsink (heatpipes etc...) like the HIS IceQ cooler for 7850 shouldn't be very loud.

But who knows, I could be wrong. Does anyone have or know of any experience with non reference coolers in a SG06? I just god a bit afraid because there is only one intake fan and the PSU acts as an exaust.

Salsa

mU63A.png

pretty good for a mid range ssd, afaik

a shame I cant get the force GT series here but I think this is pretty alright for a first foray into the solid state world

DTKT

Any reasons why HDScan and Crystal Disk can't pick up my hardrive? I can run some basic tests but Crystal doesn't read anything from the HD.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
mU63A.png

pretty good for a mid range ssd, afaik

a shame I cant get the force GT series here but I think this is pretty alright for a first foray into the solid state world
Those seem really low.
Make sure you have a SATA 6gbps cable and it's plugged into your motherboards primary SATA ports (Usually marked and are Intel).
Any reasons why HDScan and Crystal Disk can't pick up my hardrive? I can run some basic tests but Crystal doesn't read anything from the HD.
Check Windows Disk Management?

DTKT

Yeah, it works fine with Windows but any disk health software doesn't seem to work on it. Might just be a compatibility issue.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
this thread is doing bad things to me

E6eh0.png

alright so: should I go about upgrading the firmware before installing the OS in it?

guess it's safe to just format it as NTFS and such right out of the gate?
Finally!
So proud X3

thanks bras

also wtf have I done, I can barely stand the lag/noise my secondary regular HDD does now :(
Yeah, that happens.
Welcome to the future :D

EDIT: those numbers seem fine to me. Your Seq speed isn't particularly high, but those are the ones that matter less anyway.

Salsa

mh, something's definetly wrong when running the ATTO benchmark:

I first I got this ridiculous result:

jBX38.png

and I was like WTF

then I simply changed the drive from one sata port to another (weird, they are both literally the same), and got this:

U3V6m.png

wich is still about half of what this drive should be able to pull

any ideas?

Xdrive05

mh, something's definetly wrong when running the ATTO benchmark:

I first I got this ridiculous result:

jBX38.png

and I was like WTF

then I simply changed the drive from one sata port to another (weird, they are both literally the same), and got this:

U3V6m.png

wich is still about half of what this drive should be able to pull

any ideas?

Are they SATA II? (3gb/s)

If so that's about exactly right. I was getting those numbers with my Sammy 830 on my previous mobo. And then it doubled with the 6gb/s SATA III on my new mobo.

Actually, the small file transfer might be a little low... I don't recall. but that's about right for the 16.0 and up if you're on a SATA II 3gb/s line. Someone else might be able to speak to how those lower measurements stack up to expectations.

Double check the settings in your BIOS to make sure it's allowing the full transfer speed on your SATA pipes. Some BIOS's have settings that regulate that stuff.

Salsa

they're SATA III 6gb/s

also.. it.. fixed itself?

elCWh.png

that's just creepy

it's as if it was previously limiting to 3gb/s but now it suddenly works fine. I swear I didnt change the cable/port. It's been always at the grey 6gb/s port on my p8p67

Salsa

Perhaps that "SATA 3" means SATA 3Gbps... :p

If so, that's misleading as fuck.

hahah I was starting to worry about something like that but this last benchmark puts me at ease I guess.. I feel like it's hitting its ceiling too early tho, right? is that indicative of anything?

Xdrive05

they're SATA III 6gb/s

also.. it.. fixed itself?

elCWh.png

that's just creepy

it's as if it was previously limiting to 3gb/s but now it suddenly works fine. I swear I didnt change the cable/port. It's been always at the grey 6gb/s port on my p8p67

Bizarre! It was behaving exactly as a SATA II would. That's a very specific kind of limit.

You might want to look over the BIOS again and make sure nothing is suspicious relating to your SATA config. And of course, test it again regularly to see if you ever get the 3gb/s-looking results again, and let us know if you do. I'm curious about this...

Salsa

tested a couple more times after reboots. Seems it's sitting where it should be now

but yeah, this gives me a bit of the creeps. Guess i'll report after a couple days

Xdrive05

Excellent that it works right away after reboot. That's a great sign. If it was just a fluke, I'm not sure what would have caused it. But as long as you don't get wonky results any more then who cares, right?

Now, how awesome is it having a 6gb/s SSD? So awesome, right? SSD's are the greatest PC storage advancement since... probably USB or something.

AkIRA_22

No I just wanted to try something different. The other option is to put heatsinks on all the RAM and VRM chips on the board but I don't like how that looks.

Couldn't agree more, the VRM heatsinks are horrible, unless you get the anodised black ones.

What you have done is actually really smart, the fan on the GPU should spin slow, reducing noise but giving the VRM a lot of air.

AkIRA_22

OK people. I'm having MASSIVE issues wit the latest (12.8) Catalyst drivers, the fucking things will not install. What I've done so far;

1. Uninstalled EVERYTHING, went to safe mode, deleted and 'Driver swept' all AMD/ATI drivers out. Tried to reinstall 12.8 but couldn't, then found that 12.6 Beta worked, so I'm currently running that.

It's REALLY pissing me off.

Roki6

Banned
I'd just file the molex connector. Does the 8 pin not fit on the side of the 6 pin slot on the GPU?

Thanks. I used a scalpel to cut away one of the unused pins so I can get access to square one. Then I just peeled away the corners of the pin until it fit in the connector :)

Seems to be working fine. I used the 6-pin PCI-e from the PSU and this modded molex->6-pin.

Will try to find a 8 to 6+2 adapter or new modular cable, tough.

scogoth

Thanks. I used a scalpel to cut away one of the unused pins so I can get access to square one. Then I just peeled away the corners of the pin until it fit in the connector :)

Seems to be working fine. I used the 6-pin PCI-e from the PSU and this modded molex->6-pin.

Will try to find a 8 to 6+2 adapter or new modular cable, tough.

Probably not a good idea. If you connected a +12 to a ground or vice versa you could damage your card

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Got my new computer up and running and OSX is performing incredibly well. Mountain Lion 10.8.2, both GTX 670 and Quadro 600 fully working with OpenCL, Cuda, and QE/CI support. DisplayPort works on both and I can switch inputs on them without the display getting disabled. Don't have to use GraphicsEnabler or any other hacks to get them working, it's native. Almost too easy, honestly. Those new Mountain Lion drivers nVidia released are great. Davinci Resolve sees the GTX 670 properly and the Quadro 600 is more than adequate for running the interface. Really happy it wasn't a headache to get all this stuff working.

Specs are:

i7 3770K
16GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH (the Thunderbolt ports work in OSX but no hot-plugging yet)
Gigabyte GTX 670
PNY Quadro 600
Samsung 128GB 830 SSD (TRIM working)

Everything works except no TB hot-plugging as mentioned and no DD/DTS audio over optical through VLC, but that's a problem with most Hackintosh builds I think. Also haven't tried to see if sleep is working properly, but I rarely use that so it's not a big priority for me. If anyone has any questions, just ask. Can't recommend this build enough for a Hackintosh, especially if you're interested in video/photo work.

ghibli99

Thanks for everyone's help in this thread. My PC is very happy, Dishonored at 2560x1440 maxxed out is so damn smooth (Skyrim still looks all sorts of ugly art-wise, though... gonna have to try some mods), and my fans don't sound like an F-14 taking off anymore.

scogoth

Up and running with one GPU water cooled and one air cooled. Unforseen problem VRM and power circuitry is running really really really really hot. I can't get an exact temp but sticking a temp probe around the back plate reads 70-80C vs 60C for the air cooled one. I can ramp up the fan which helps but whats the point of water cooling then? Also CPU mounting didn't seem to go well temps only at 55C under load, thought it would be lower, GPU is 41C under load.

still can't get over the insane boot times for win 8 with this thing :)

plus i can actually see Steam's big picture mode now.

a few slight issues happened where my normal HDD was not detected and had to find disk management, which lead into my second issue of "wtf" in regards to windows 8. I have no idea where shit is now :O

ghibli99

are mechanical hard drives really that annoying to people? their ear right up in the case or what? lol. Guess pc noise has never really bothered me, still more quiet than a 360 imo
Not a slim. I can't even tell when that thing is on! :) If you're water-cooled, I could see any noise coming from the PC as being annoying. Also depends on where folks have their cases relative to where they're sitting.

Jzero

still can't get over the insane boot times for win 8 with this thing :)

plus i can actually see Steam's big picture mode now.

a few slight issues happened where my normal HDD was not detected and had to find disk management, which lead into my second issue of "wtf" in regards to windows 8. I have no idea where shit is now :O
Right click the bottom left corner of the screen (taskbar) and click disk management. ;)

Salsa

are mechanical hard drives really that annoying to people?

not really, until I started using this SSD

to be fair my 1.5gb is a samsung Sata II 5400RPM, over a year or two old and it is quite noisy

it's just storage though so I dont really need anything better. Quieter? sure, but i'll stick with it for a bit more

mkenyon

Banned
OK people. I'm having MASSIVE issues wit the latest (12.8) Catalyst drivers, the fucking things will not install. What I've done so far;

1. Uninstalled EVERYTHING, went to safe mode, deleted and 'Driver swept' all AMD/ATI drivers out. Tried to reinstall 12.8 but couldn't, then found that 12.6 Beta worked, so I'm currently running that.

It's REALLY pissing me off.
Delete everything in C:AMD ?
Up and running with one GPU water cooled and one air cooled. Unforseen problem VRM and power circuitry is running really really really really hot. I can't get an exact temp but sticking a temp probe around the back plate reads 70-80C vs 60C for the air cooled one. I can ramp up the fan which helps but whats the point of water cooling then? Also CPU mounting didn't seem to go well temps only at 55C under load, thought it would be lower, GPU is 41C under load.
Temps seem about right. What's your loop order? GPU heat adds more to CPU temps than vice versa.

Try removing the shrouds?
are mechanical hard drives really that annoying to people? their ear right up in the case or what? lol. Guess pc noise has never really bothered me, still more quiet than a 360 imo
It's a case of hearing a rig without one. I swear before I made the switch to flash storage only my HDDs were quiet. Now that I'm using my recording rig since my primary is temporarily out of commission, its all I can hear.

Roki6

Banned
Probably not a good idea. If you connected a +12 to a ground or vice versa you could damage your card

I checked the pinout, everything is fine. 12V to pin 1 and 3. Pin 2 is not connected (the one I cut off). Ground to 4,5,6.

Basically there are two versions of the adapter. Version 1 has a square pin and version 2 a round. It seems that MSI was bundling the wrong type by mistake.

Hyphen

Hyphen said:

Many thanks.

Hazaro said:
Maybe someone else can chime in for other prebuilt options in the UK. I think you can do better than CyberPower.
Apart from that fill out the sheet in the OP so I know your relative budget and what you actually want/need to do with the PC.

That said, all the part selection is good. Only thing I'd swap is the Audio card for: 1) Nothing, or 2) The Xonar DGX

Your Current Specs: AMD Athlon 3400+ / 1GB RAM / GeForce 6800 GT
Budget: Around £1700.
Main Use: Gaming {5}, Video Editing {4}, Photoshop {3}
Monitor Resolution: 1080p.
SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Crysis 3. Star Wars 1313 and beyond. 60FPS would be nice, but coming from a PS3, anything above 30 is fine for now.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Just my Creative speakers.
When will you build?: Would be nice to have it by Xmas.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably - Know nothing about it, but they say it's worth it.

deleted

GB 660 based on their 670/680 line.

Those cards from GB and ASUS are both very nice, but ASUS has that price premium. I think many here including myself are very happy with their GB 670's for cheaper.

I'm not sure as those cards are "only" 130W TDP, but dual/triple fan coolers like that will blow most of the exaust air into your case. Blowers are perfect for small cases because they exaust all the air, but blowers that fit in your case are usually noisy (Nvidias blowers for 670/660ti/660 buzz because the fan is mounted to plastic). Radial blow half the air out, half of it into the case. Reference radials usually only use an aluminium heatsink which forces the fan to run at a high speed, but non reference ones with a better heatsink (heatpipes etc...) like the HIS IceQ cooler for 7850 shouldn't be very loud.

But who knows, I could be wrong. Does anyone have or know of any experience with non reference coolers in a SG06? I just god a bit afraid because there is only one intake fan and the PSU acts as an exaust.

Thanks guys, I'll sleep on that decision.

kharma45

Your Current Specs: AMD Athlon 3400+ / 1GB RAM / GeForce 6800 GT
Budget: Around £1700.
Main Use: Gaming {5}, Video Editing {4}, Photoshop {3}
Monitor Resolution: 1080p.
SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Crysis 3. Star Wars 1313 and beyond. 60FPS would be nice, but coming from a PS3, anything above 30 is fine for now.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Just my Creative speakers.
When will you build?: Would be nice to have it by Xmas.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably - Know nothing about it, but they say it's worth it.

I've had a look around at some sites I know to be reputable like Chillblast who offer this http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Mamba.html system but I'd change the SSD to an Intel one in it.

Another site is Cougar Extreme who I've used myself and for roughly the same price as that Chillblast they can build you this

. Intel i7 3770k Quad Core 3.50 GHz,
. 1155 ASUS P8Z77-V Pro,
. 16GB Corsair Vengeance (2 x 8Gb),
. Corsair Hydro H80 High-Performance Liquid CPU Cooler,
. DVD+/- RW - 22X Samsung SATA,
. 240Gb SSD SATA SSD,
. 1000Gb SATA Hard Drive SATA 3,
. 2 x Nvidia GTX670,
. Corsair Obsidian 650D Black Gaming Case,
. CORSAIR CMPSU-850TXUK PSU
. Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit & Windows 8 Upgrade Offer,
. Shipping England & Wales,

That comes to £1797 delivered. You could save money on that Cougar Extreme one with the case by dropping it to something like an AeroCool X-Predator or by choosing the Cooler Master CM-690 it'd be below £1701 delivered then which would be pretty much max of your budget.

I'll have a look around at some other sites for custom builds.

Tomodachi

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but the Samsung 830 SSD is $170 for 256 GB on Amazon right now with free delivery or Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC128B-WW/dp/B0077CR60Q/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

You linked the 128GB model, which is even more inviting. I wish amazon.it had the same prices on those SSDs :(

EDIT: actually I just checked it out again on amazon.it and it has a similar price, I recalled wrong it seems. Any chance they'll drop even more this holiday season? Because I'm in a mind of upgrading my CPU, mobo, ram and maybe case and I'm saving, might as well throw in my first SSD ever (are 128GB enough for OS + the steam game I'm currently playing?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom