• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

Uhm... wtf is this? Crucial M4 128 GB SSD, just put it in the SATA 3.0 port on my mobo, latest firmware, AHCI is on.

I've had this disk for a few months now and it didn't occur to me to benchmark until now...

namnlsktz8a.png

dddarxd2.png

EDIT: Installed Intel RST and got this, is this the score I should be getting or is it still too low? Also WTF at the HUUUUUGE difference in speed compared to default Win7 drivers...

namnls2grk6.png

dddzepat.png

greenry

In a dilemma at the moment, some advice would be appreciated.

I have an i7-920 @ 3.8ghz and SLI GTX 560ti. I have been mulling around two options:

a. Upgrade the i7-920 to an i5-3570k (would also have to upgrade my motherboard)
b. Upgrade the SLI 560ti to GTX 670 (I only game at 1680x1050)
c. Do nothing at all, just getting upgradeitis.

Are those upgrades just really side grades or will it make a difference?

scogoth

I have an i7-920 @ 3.8ghz and SLI GTX 560ti. I have been mulling around two options:

a. Upgrade the i7-920 to an i5-3570k (would also have to upgrade my motherboard)

At 1680x1050 its sidegrading. Why don't you treat yourself to a 1080p monitor first?

This has surely been asked before, but what are the hazards of updating nvidia drivers? Could I screw myself out of inspector game settings, overclocks and precision x fan curve settings? Do I need to manually uninstall old drivers or use a driver cleaner, or are modern drivers safe to just update via the nvidia prompts?

Lkr

so i never got a response to my dilemma:
will a phenom ii x4 bottleneck a gtx 660ti range card? my brother wants to upgrade because he is getting ~30fps with a gts 250 in borderlands 2, poor performance in guild wars 2, etc at 1920x1080. wondering if i need to swap out mobo/cpu/video card or just video card

x3r0123

This has surely been asked before, but what are the hazards of updating nvidia drivers? Could I screw myself out of inspector game settings, overclocks and precision x fan curve settings? Do I need to manually uninstall old drivers or use a driver cleaner, or are modern drivers safe to just update via the nvidia prompts?

There are no hazards afaik if you do it properly. You would just have to readjust the settings back i think

if you are going to uninstall video drivers, dont use driver cleaner. I had previous experience where the cleaner would delete necessary registry files. As a result, that caused me some stupid bsod. I know nvidia has the option to do a clean install and can't recall if it has the same option for ati. On the safe side, i would recommend doing a manual removal of your drivers before installing new drivers.

kitch9

Banned
snaps%20realness.gif

I did, and checked in safe mode to ensure everything was deleted. It's got me completely puzzled. I just can not update.

Don't use sweepers, there's no need and they can damage Windows and cause the problems you have now.
Express uninstall all AMD programs in control panel and roboot. Now go in device manager and uninstall the card from there selecting delete driver software as you go and reboot. If windows boots in vga mode you have reset the driver cache, if not go back to device manager and repeat the last step until windows runs out of old drivers in its cache and boots in vga mode.

Now install new driver.

You should find it much easier just to install new drivers over the top of old drivers in future.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
What the hell is...

Richmond, VA, United States 10/12/2012 7:20 P.M. Forwarded to the facility in the destination city.

That supposed to mean? Anyone who's had that before from UPS? My case hasn't registered any updates since then =(

Akkad

Banned
What the hell is...

Richmond, VA, United States 10/12/2012 7:20 P.M. Forwarded to the facility in the destination city.

That supposed to mean? Anyone who's had that before from UPS? My case hasn't registered any updates since then =(

That mean they sent it to the UPS facility where you live.

beje

Banned
Oh perfect, after months sending even the most insignificant orders through a courier, Amazon UK has decided they're going to be sending the most expensive and probably delicate thing I've ever bought from them (a CPU) through royal mail. OK, I know it's free delivery and all that, but I expected the same as the couple dozen orders I've done in the last two years.

kharma45

Oh perfect, after months sending even the most insignificant orders through a courier, Amazon UK has decided they're going to be sending the most expensive and probably delicate thing I've ever bought from them (a CPU) through royal mail. OK, I know it's free delivery and all that, but I expected the same as the couple dozen orders I've done in the last two years.

I'd rather them than City Link.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Your Current Specs: AMD Athlon 3400+ / 1GB RAM / GeForce 6800 GT
Budget: Around £1700.
Main Use: Gaming {5}, Video Editing {4}, Photoshop {3}
Monitor Resolution: 1080p.
SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Crysis 3. Star Wars 1313 and beyond. 60FPS would be nice, but coming from a PS3, anything above 30 is fine for now.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Just my Creative speakers.
When will you build?: Would be nice to have it by Xmas.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably - Know nothing about it, but they say it's worth it.
A single GTX670 would demolish what you want right now. £1700 is massive overkill, so you should get a nice monitor with your system :)
I've had a look around at some sites I know to be reputable like Chillblast who offer this http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Mamba.html system but I'd change the SSD to an Intel one in it.

Another site is Cougar Extreme who I've used myself and for roughly the same price as that Chillblast they can build you this

That comes to £1797 delivered. You could save money on that Cougar Extreme one with the case by dropping it to something like an AeroCool X-Predator or by choosing the Cooler Master CM-690 it'd be below £1701 delivered then which would be pretty much max of your budget.

I'll have a look around at some other sites for custom builds.
If the Chillblast is from a good store that looks overall pretty nice. Swap for the Intel SSD as he said. An OC'd 3770K and a GTX680 will have you set a looooooooong time.

Sidegrades.
Any recommendations on 3TB drives?
The only thing I could say is to grab a WD Red 3TB, run diagnostics on it, and disable TLER.

None of the choices for 2TB and up are good right now.

hypernima

Banned
Ight sooooo I have finished installing everything and I want to install windows 8 preview now
It won't detect the ISO file

So I wonder if I bought Win 7 pro upgrade would it work instead? I'm friggin confused.

t-ramp

Ight sooooo I have finished installing everything and I want to install windows 8 preview now

So I wonder if I bought Win 7 pro upgrade would it work instead? I'm friggin confused.
Are you using a DVD or a USB drive? You can't just copy the .iso to your media. You'll need to burn the image to a disc or open up the .iso and copy the files to a bootable USB drive.

Mangotron

How are you trying to install it? If it's on a disk, did you use something like ImgBurn to put it on there, or no?

hypernima

Banned
Are you using a DVD or a USB drive? You can't just copy the .iso to your media. You'll need to burn the image to a disc or open up the .iso and copy the files to a bootable USB drive.

How are you trying to install it? If it's on a disk, did you use something like ImgBurn to put it on there, or no?

I am an idiot.
LOL

I'm going to extract the files to my usb now and try it again.

fushi

The only thing I could say is to grab a WD Red 3TB, run diagnostics on it, and disable TLER.

None of the choices for 2TB and up are good right now.
Should've been more precise: it'll be used for data storage mostly, not going to run any games off of it, let alone an OS. Seagate and WD have the cheapest 3TB ones out and they are priced exactly the same (130 EUR), hence my question.

On the subject, though: I currently have all my games on a HD103UJ 1TB drive. Would an upgrade to WD10EZEX even be worth it, performance-wise? I would go SSD, but they still offer way too little space for money, and I kinda like having a ton of games installed (helps me clear out my backlog more easily).

Sanctuary

This isn't really related to building a new PC necessarily, but I did have kind of an odd question regarding 16:10 vs 16:9 screens and FOV.

Does anyone else still use a 16:10 monitor, and do they ever get really strange looking models if they adjust the FOV beyond 80? In just about every game where I've increased the FOV, the actual terrain looks great for the most part, but round objects like a moon (Borderlands) does this really wierd warping or stretching as I pan the screen around and it doesn't look natural at all. The same thing happens when character models are close to me and they walk off screen or I simply pan. Their heads/body seem to stretch instead of adjusting to the FOV. Is it just a limitation of a 16:10 screen, or is it the game engine?

The most recent offender is Dishonored. I really want to go beyond 80 FOV, but it starts looking really silly when I do.

ghibli99

What the hell is...

Did it ship via UPS MI (Mail Innovations)? If so, be prepared to wait another 3-5 days. :( I ordered some memory from Newegg last Saturday, it arrived in my town the following Monday, got forwarded to USPS that same day, and here I am, 6 days later, and it should finally be here tomorrow. What a joke. We already pay for Amazon Prime, so I think I'll just buy there from now on unless a deal at Newegg is too good to pass up.

hypernima

Banned
Meh I extracted the files, still will not work :\
Wonder if I just have to give in and buy an overpriced copy of windows.

I feel dumb lol, I could hook up a computer but when it's comes to the OS installation I'm stupid. hahaha.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Did it ship via UPS MI (Mail Innovations)? If so, be prepared to wait another 3-5 days. :( I ordered some memory from Newegg last Saturday, it arrived in my town the following Monday, got forwarded to USPS that same day, and here I am, 6 days later, and it should finally be here tomorrow. What a joke. We already pay for Amazon Prime, so I think I'll just buy there from now on unless a deal at Newegg is too good to pass up.

Oh shit... well the tracking number says this:
UPS 2nd Day Air®

So I guess its not the same... I hope =(. This is from Amazon too, as Newegg was charging me to ship the case while Amazon (Prime here) didn't.

hypernima

Banned
Thanks for putting up with all my mess these past months guys, shouts out to mkenyon, hazaro and thraktor for some good advice on my build!

Hope to show you some good video/3d art soon with this rig!

ixgGhYxqjSqAc.jpg

Hieberrr

Is it possible to build a steambox for $400-$500 in a compact case? I want to build one for my little brother so he can play steam games and so he can play Minecraft/LOL without any hiccups in performance.

t-ramp

Is it possible to build a steambox for $400-$500 in a compact case? I want to build one for my little brother so he can play steam games and so he can play Minecraft/LOL without any hiccups in performance.
You should be able to build a nice PC with $500. However, if you need a monitor or operating system that might make it harder. Otherwise, an i3 build with a ~$120 video card should fit nicely into that budget.

Hieberrr

You should be able to build a nice PC with $500. However, if you need a monitor or operating system that might make it harder. Otherwise, an i3 build with a ~$150 video card should fit nicely into that budget.

A monitor and OS won't but a problem (I already have those laying around from an old broken PC).

i3 is okay? I always thought the i3 was supposed to be relatively slow (my i3 in my laptop isn't very fast).

mkenyon

Banned
OP, SFF (small form factor) guide. I'd link, but I'm on my Note on the way home from hawks game.

t-ramp

A monitor and OS won't but a problem (I already have those laying around from an old broken PC).

i3 is okay? I always thought the i3 was supposed to be relatively slow (my i3 in my laptop isn't very fast).
The i3s with hyperthreading are pretty quick. Slower than an i5, of course, but not shabby at all.

OP, SFF (small form factor) guide. I'd link, but I'm on my Note on the way home from hawks game.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42660100&postcount=195

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a feel for the GTX 650 Ti 2GB. More specifically how it would compare to a GTX 460 768mb. I'm looking to upgrade and I'm looking at the 650 Ti or a Radeon 6870.

Shambles

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a feel for the GTX 650 Ti 2GB. More specifically how it would compare to a GTX 460 768mb. I'm looking to upgrade and I'm looking at the 650 Ti or a Radeon 6870.

Looks like the 650 Ti is about 10-20% faster than the 1GB GTX 460 so let's saw it might be an average of 30% faster than the 768 GTX 460 at most. Not much of an upgrade really.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/680?vs=542

I'd say getting anything under a 7870 at least wouldn't be worth the money. I'd also say as far as GPU upgrades go if the current market doesn't easily convince you that an upgrade is worthwhile just continue to wait until the next generation of cards that have a clear upgrade $/upgraded performance advantage.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
When you guys upgrade, do you like to get "new everything" or do you like to keep your old parts that you can still use?

I'm thinking I could...

KEEP:

Blu Ray Writer
Media Reader
128GB M4
2x Gentle Typhoons
875W Thermaltake PSU

SELL:

GTX570
300GB Velociraptor HDD
2TB Green (yuck, I hate these green drives)
i7 920 and crappy Mobo (worth anything at all?)
Alienware Aurora (latest type) case

BUY:
GTX670x2
128GB M4 (to Raid0 with my current drive as boot drive)
256 SSD for games
2TB WD Black HDD for media
Some type of MOBO and PROC combo
Case (leaning toward going balls out on the Cosmos II)

Looking at sales for most everything, and the gently used market for the 670s, I think I could snag all the above for about ~$1800. If I could sell my stuff for $300 or so; I'd be very happy with that beast of a rig for about $1500 out of pocket.

Just thinking out loud...

Looks like the 650 Ti is about 10-20% faster than the 1GB GTX 460 so let's saw it might be an average of 30% faster than the 768 GTX 460 at most. Not much of an upgrade really.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/680?vs=542

I'd say getting anything under a 7870 at least wouldn't be worth the money. I'd also say as far as GPU upgrades go if the current market doesn't easily convince you that an upgrade is worthwhile just continue to wait until the next generation of cards that have a clear upgrade $/upgraded performance advantage.
I may end up doing that. Is there a general rule of thumb as to when an upgrade is worth it?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Laptop CPUs are massively downclocked and use much less power.

A desktop i3 performs very well for most games, often netting above 60FPS if your GPU can handle it.
When you guys upgrade, do you like to get "new everything" or do you like to keep your old parts that you can still use?

I'm thinking I could...

KEEP:

Blu Ray Writer
Media Reader
128GB M4
2x Gentle Typhoons
875W Thermaltake PSU

SELL:

GTX570
300GB Velociraptor HDD
2TB Green (yuck, I hate these green drives)
i7 920 and crappy Mobo (worth anything at all?)
Alienware Aurora (latest type) case

BUY:
GTX670x2
128GB M4 (to Raid0 with my current drive as boot drive)
256 SSD for games
2TB WD Black HDD for media
Some type of MOBO and PROC combo
Case (leaning toward going balls out on the Cosmos II)

Looking at sales for most everything, and the gently used market for the 670s, I think I could snag all the above for about ~$1800. If I could sell my stuff for $300 or so; I'd be very happy with that beast of a rig for about $1500 out of pocket.

Just thinking out loud...
What about just dropping 2x670's in your machine now and OC'ing the 920 a ton?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Laptop CPUs are massively downclocked and use much less power.

A desktop i3 performs very well for most games, often netting above 60FPS if your GPU can handle it.

What about just dropping 2x670's in your machine now and OC'ing the 920 a ton?

I got an amazing deal on my Alienware when I bought it - worth way more than I spent at the time. But the truth is, it's thermal control sucks. It has just a single intake and a single exhaust - and the intake fan is covered behind hard plastic on the front. A single 570 runs just about as high as I'd like. And the mobo is iffy - I struggle staying stable past 3.4. I'm running at 3.6 now; but in the summer I dropped it down 200MHz.

To be completely honest - it's a 3 year old rig. I think I'm just ready for something new. And now seems like a pretty darn decent time to upgrade.

My co-worker just got a GTX680 - so that's not helping me ignore my gadget lust.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd wait until Haswell. That 920 is still a beast, and you'll only be held back in UE3 games.

670s consume quite a bit less power than 570s, so I wouldn't sweat it. You could also just get a new case if you wanted to improve cooling.

Personally, I'm on a never ending binge of upgrading everything. Water cooling has helped fill in the gaps between major hardware changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom