• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
question.

got a gtx 460 and it seems to be able to handle most games at high settings fine at 1440p.

Any upcoming games outside of Star Citizen that will need a beastly gpu?

Based off rumors... what kind of gpu would i need to be next gen proof anyways?

mkenyon

Banned
No one will be able to answer that accurately. Just wait until you want to upgrade, then upgrade. GPU gens move so quickly that waiting for the next thing turns into forever.

I'm trying to debug a problem I'm having with a new system. The system is as follow:
Case: Corsair 400R
CPU: i7-3770K
Cooling: coolmaster Hyper 212
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680
PSU: Corsair 650Watts Corsair HX650
Hard Drive 1: 128 GB Crucial M4 Series SATA III
Hard Drive 2: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive
Optical Drive: 24X DVD±R/±RW

I'm running some checks on the system and I'm getting a continuous beep when I run Furmark. I checked the temps and everything looks good. I went through bios to see if an alarm was being trip but I'm not seeing anything. Any ideas?

EDIT: looks like it didn't like being plugged into a UPS power supply.

DTKT

I'm trying to debug a problem I'm having with a new system. The system is as follow:
Case: Corsair 400R
Cooling: coolmaster Hyper 212
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680
PSU: Corsair 650Watts Corsair HX650
Hard Drive 1: 128 GB Crucial M4 Series SATA III
Optical Drive: 24X DVD±R/±RW

I'm running some checks on the system and I'm getting a continuous beep when I run Furmark. I checked the temps and everything looks good. I went through bios to see if an alarm was being trip but I'm not seeing anything. Any ideas?

Like a Motherboard beep or something like coil whine?

Lkr

so i never got a response to my dilemma:
will a phenom ii x4 bottleneck a gtx 660ti range card? my brother wants to upgrade because he is getting ~30fps with a gts 250 in borderlands 2, poor performance in guild wars 2, etc at 1920x1080. wondering if i need to swap out mobo/cpu/video card or just video card

shameless bump. i really need to know so i can get him the right stuff

mkenyon

Banned
Check out the Techreport article called 'Inside the Second'. Link is in the news section in the OP. (On tablet, bitch to multitask). Short answer is yes in some games, no in others. The performance loss is worse than raw FPS numbers can articulate.

AkIRA_22

Don't use sweepers, there's no need and they can damage Windows and cause the problems you have now.
Express uninstall all AMD programs in control panel and roboot. Now go in device manager and uninstall the card from there selecting delete driver software as you go and reboot. If windows boots in vga mode you have reset the driver cache, if not go back to device manager and repeat the last step until windows runs out of old drivers in its cache and boots in vga mode.

Now install new driver.

You should find it much easier just to install new drivers over the top of old drivers in future.

Thanks for the input, but unfortunately that's what I did the very first time, I thought, well I'll just un-install the drivers (catalyst install manager and windows device manager) and delete folders (I do that when CCC doesn't want to open after an update). It wasn't until that didn't work, I Googled it and found the process I detailed earlier had been effective. Problem is, it hasn't been. One guide even had me checking Key Tokens, I didn't know what one was before this.... (not the issue by the way)

I'll just wait until 12.9 come out. It's just very odd.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When you guys upgrade, do you like to get "new everything" or do you like to keep your old parts that you can still use?

I keep what I deem useful. My most recent system upgrade was this past May and I kept the drives (a handful of HDDs, an SSD, and a BD-RE), GPU (GTX 570) and PSU (Corsiar HX520, which has since been replaced by a Seasonic XP-1000).

Salsa

When you guys upgrade, do you like to get "new everything" or do you like to keep your old parts that you can still use?

my CPUs and mobos always last a long time

everything else I always buy thinking it'll last me 2-3 years but in the end I end up changing a year or so down the line

Arulan

I've never really posted in here before but have kept track of these threads for a while now. If anyone has any comments or recommendations on the following I'd appreciate it. :)

Essentially I'm currently running with:

i7 920 OC'd to 3.8 on air. I could go 4.0 but my temps weren't great.
GTX 275.
6GB RAM.
No SDD.
HAF 932 Advanced case.
Samsung 950D monitor. (120hz)

I currently have a second monitor setup as well but connected to another PC. I basically use Mouse Without Borders to use it from primary PC.

My focus is gaming. I've been holding off on a GPU upgrade for a while, my original target was the GK110, which may be the GK114 now? (780/770) My current plan is to wait for Haswell and build a new PC, picking up either the 780 or SLI 770 (thoughts?) with the new build. I've never done SLI in the past, but I spend a lot of time tweaking/optimizing game profiles, inspector, etc. so I'd imagine it wouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm also interested in getting into water for this new build, probably going for a single/double loop instead of something like the H100. Although I'm inexperienced with water though. As for cases, currently I really like the aesthetics of the 800D. On the OCN forums, there is a thread from a Corsair representative asking for improvements to the 800D so I'd imagine an update is in store in the near future. What are the opinions of the current 800D in terms of performance?

I realize that my current plan involves a build that may be a year away. If anyone has any general comments or opinions that would be great, or perhaps of ideas of what not to do, or possibly upgrades I should just go ahead and make now instead of waiting. Thanks.

kitch9

Banned
Thanks for the input, but unfortunately that's what I did the very first time, I thought, well I'll just un-install the drivers (catalyst install manager and windows device manager) and delete folders (I do that when CCC doesn't want to open after an update). It wasn't until that didn't work, I Googled it and found the process I detailed earlier had been effective. Problem is, it hasn't been. One guide even had me checking Key Tokens, I didn't know what one was before this.... (not the issue by the way)

I'll just wait until 12.9 come out. It's just very odd.

Did windows boot into VGA mode after deleting from device manager or did it find old drivers and install them? You must keep repeating the process until windows stops finding old drivers and resorts to VGA mode to reset your corrupt driver cache. Driversweeper has corrupted my cache on numerous occasions, until I figured out what was causing it. Deleting the AMD folder achieves nothing as that is not where Windows looks to find its archived drivers, its an infuriating trait of Windows that it insists on installing any old drivers it finds in its cache without user input.

The other alternative is using GPedit to force windows to ignore the driver cache, but you need Windows professional and above for that. Let me know if you need further info.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I got an amazing deal on my Alienware when I bought it - worth way more than I spent at the time. But the truth is, it's thermal control sucks. It has just a single intake and a single exhaust - and the intake fan is covered behind hard plastic on the front. A single 570 runs just about as high as I'd like. And the mobo is iffy - I struggle staying stable past 3.4. I'm running at 3.6 now; but in the summer I dropped it down 200MHz.

To be completely honest - it's a 3 year old rig.
I think I'm just ready for something new. And now seems like a pretty darn decent time to upgrade.
It might be a 3 year old rig but the single threaded demands overall on computing haven't increased much at all.

From a gaming perspective viewpoint and unless you are doing a ton of rending / encoding a bump to SLi 670's would be a fantastic jump for FPS/$.

Then you can hop on Haswell when it comes out and get a true full upgrade (even if it's only another 10-15% on Ivy's gains).

Whooter

If I have a 3-year-old Core 2 Quad Q8200, what would be the most GPU I could hope to pair with it before the CPU becomes a bottleneck?

Hyphen

Your Current Specs: AMD Athlon 3400+ / 1GB RAM / GeForce 6800 GT
Budget: Around £1700.
Main Use: Gaming {5}, Video Editing {4}, Photoshop {3}
Monitor Resolution: 1080p.
SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Crysis 3. Star Wars 1313 and beyond. 60FPS would be nice, but coming from a PS3, anything above 30 is fine for now.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Just my Creative speakers.
When will you build?: Would be nice to have it by Xmas.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably - Know nothing about it, but they say it's worth it.

I keep reading that having a sound card is not needed unless it's an Asus DG (or something). Well, I'd rather save money and not get a card if it's not necessary. But I have no idea how good sound will be on the motherboards below. But I'm going to trust you guys and leave out the sound card.

I'm not interested in SLI - I'd rather buy the best bang/buck single card available to suit my needs/games. I presume this makes my choice of motherboards much greater. And would I be correct in assuming that although the next set of CPUs from Intel will require a new motherboard, this will not impact upon the next wave of GPUs from AMD/NVIDIA? So the below motherboards will be fine in terms of upgrading my GPU?

Ok, made some configurations at some websites and here are my results/choices. What worries me is the lack of stated brands (or dependent upon availability) for the cheaper systems -

CYBER POWER SYSTEMS

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
Cooling: Arctic Freezer i30 CPU Fan
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston DDR3/1333MHz
GPU: Gigabyte Superclocked GeForce GTX 670 2GB
PSU: Corsair 650Watts CMPSU-650TXV2
Hard Drive 1: 256 GB Crucial M4 Series SATA III
Optical Drive: 24X DVD±R/±RW (Brand not stated)
Sound Card: None
Extras: Enhanced packaging, professional wiring, thermal compound optimised for thermal Dissipation.

£1532.40

------------------------------

DINO PC

Cooling: Xigmatek Dark Knight Nighthawk Edition SD1283
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) (Brand is dependent on stock availability)
GPU: GTX 670 2GB (Brand is dependent on stock availability)
PSU: Corsair 650Watts TX Modular
Hard Drive 1: 240 GB Corsair Force3 SSD S-ATAIII
Hard Drive 2: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s (Brand is dependent on stock availability)
Extras: None.

£1299.90

COUGAR EXTREME

Cooling: Gelid Tranquillo
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M LX
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance
GPU: GTX 670 2GB (Brand not stated)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TXUK
Hard Drive 1: 240 GB SSD SATA (Brand not stated)
Hard Drive 2: 1TB SATA-III (Brand not stated)
Optical Drive: 22X DVD±R/±RW Samsung

£1358.81

I've fallen in love with the Obsidian 650D case. I must have this to house my components. The Chillblast website recommended previously only has this case as an option on certain systems which is strange.

kharma45

I keep reading that having a sound card is not needed unless it's an Asus DG (or something). Well, I'd rather save money and not get a card if it's not necessary. But I have no idea how good sound will be on the motherboards below. But I'm going to trust you guys and leave out the sound card.

I'm not interested in SLI - I'd rather buy the best bang/buck single card available to suit my needs/games. I presume this makes my choice of motherboards much greater. And would I be correct in assuming that although the next set of CPUs from Intel will require a new motherboard, this will not impact upon the next wave of GPUs from AMD/NVIDIA? So the below motherboards will be fine in terms of upgrading my GPU?

Ok, made some configurations at some websites and here are my results/choices. What worries me is the lack of stated brands (or dependent upon availability) for the cheaper systems -

CYBER POWER SYSTEMS

Cooling: Arctic Freezer i30 CPU Fan
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston DDR3/1333MHz
GPU: Gigabyte Superclocked GeForce GTX 670 2GB
PSU: Corsair 650Watts CMPSU-650TXV2
Hard Drive 1: 256 GB Crucial M4 Series SATA III
Extras: Enhanced packaging, professional wiring, thermal compound optimised for thermal Dissipation.

£1532.40

DINO PC

Cooling: Xigmatek Dark Knight Nighthawk Edition SD1283
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) (Brand is dependent on stock availability)
GPU: GTX 670 2GB (Brand is dependent on stock availability)
PSU: Corsair 650Watts TX Modular
Hard Drive 1: 240 GB Corsair Force3 SSD S-ATAIII
Hard Drive 2: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s (Brand is dependent on stock availability)

£1299.90

COUGAR EXTREME

Cooling: Gelid Tranquillo
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M LX
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance
GPU: GTX 670 2GB (Brand not stated)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TXUK
Hard Drive 1: 240 GB SSD SATA (Brand not stated)
Hard Drive 2: 1TB SATA-III (Brand not stated)
Optical Drive: 22X DVD±R/±RW Samsung

£1358.81

I've fallen in love with the Obsidian 650D case. I must have this to house my components. The Chillblast website recommended previously only has this case as an option on certain systems which is strange.

It might be worth emailing Chillblast and see if they could give you the 650D on a build you want, sites like that are generally pretty flexible imo. Also for that Cougar Extreme build you'll want a Z77 motherboard to give you the ability to overclock that i7. With Cougar too it'd be worth an email or a quick call too to find out what brands of component they put it, when I had any queries with my build I always got the manager when I phoned and they were pretty helpful.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd contact them and ask for the 650D case on that specific URL that was linked and what changes we talked about. See no reason they can't do it.

The 3770K OC and 670/680 will set you up for a looooooooong time.

Arsin

Quick question tech GAF, I am going to need a new wireless router and was wondering which one would be best? I see that ASUS brands are pretty highly rated, how do they hold up? The only thing I need on the router is a gigabyte LAN for media streaming.

Thanks in advance.

Right guys. Quite a weird problem here.

This has happened about 5 times since January and it scares the hell out of me every time. Last night, I was uninstalling a few steam games when Windows started to really chug, I mean really chug (about 10 second delay) and then just powered off. And when I would start her up, it wouldn't even boot, the fans would start and after about 2 seconds it would turn itself off and then on again doing the same thing each time. The only way to stop the cycle is to power off at the back. After about an hour of leaving it off, it boots normally again.

At first I thought it was the CPU overheating but if you take a look at the attached image, it's hovering at 40. Is that too hot?

(PS. I have noticed it's happened a few times after physically moving the entire tower)

1hxBMl.png

EDIT: Just checked CPU-Z and it says my CPU is running at 3.8Ghz...I have no idea how to overclock and I didn't even think you could on the non-k series?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It might be worth emailing Chillblast and see if they could give you the 650D on a build you want, sites like that are generally pretty flexible imo. Also for that Cougar Extreme build you'll want a Z77 motherboard to give you the ability to overclock that i7. With Cougar too it'd be worth an email or a quick call too to find out what brands of component they put it, when I had any queries with my build I always got the manager when I phoned and they were pretty helpful.

on that basis why not just get the dino pc which has that motherboard and is £60 cheaper?

It'd be tempting to see how much it'd cost to put together the same build yourself. Wonder if you could pull it together for under a grand?

I understand the simplicity and convenience of buying off the shelf, but they really are a piece of piss to put together, especially with the support you'll get from this thread.

Lkr

Check out the Techreport article called 'Inside the Second'. Link is in the news section in the OP. (On tablet, bitch to multitask). Short answer is yes in some games, no in others. The performance loss is worse than raw FPS numbers can articulate.

ok, this is what i was afraid of. it is an old am3 board, so i'd probably put him on an intel path. now i have to decide between i3 and a pentium.

i'm probably going to take the am3 cpu(used to be my rig before i moved), put a 560 or something in it, and play steam games and bf3 since neither are very cpu dependent

kharma45

on that basis why not just get the dino pc which has that motherboard and is £60 cheaper?

It'd be tempting to see how much it'd cost to put together the same build yourself. Wonder if you could pull it together for under a grand?

I understand the simplicity and convenience of buying off the shelf, but they really are a piece of piss to put together, especially with the support you'll get from this thread.

Dino PC I don't really know much about, don't know anyone who has used them so can only go by the reviews online whereas I've used Cougar in the past myself.

Yeah building is the best option, threw this together quickly on Ebuyer

jb11Az5Ajy0IBj.PNG

Stubo

I really can't recommend scan enough for UK builds. Great prices on parts and exceptional delivery service. The only down side is that delivery isn't free.

You do get an hour time slot the day after you order though, pretty awesome.

abunai

I really can't recommend scan enough for UK builds. Great prices on parts and exceptional delivery service. The only down side is that delivery isn't free.

You do get an hour time slot the day after you order though, pretty awesome.

If you have 20 posts on the hexus.co.uk forums you can link accounts and get free scan delivery for life. But disregarding that I still agree, scan are the best.

Stubo

If you have 20 posts on the hexus.co.uk forums you can link accounts and get free scan delivery for life. But disregarding that I still agree, scan are the best.
I think it's the same with avforums, but gaf is the only forum I post on.

Might have to cheese 20 in someday ;)

mkenyon

Banned
PSA for my frozen brothers/sisters to the north.

NCIX has the Fractal Node 304 and 605 in stock! $90 and $150 CAD respectively.

uYX15l.jpg

F0V9Ll.jpg

golem

Right guys. Quite a weird problem here.

This has happened about 5 times since January and it scares the hell out of me every time. Last night, I was uninstalling a few steam games when Windows started to really chug, I mean really chug (about 10 second delay) and then just powered off. And when I would start her up, it wouldn't even boot, the fans would start and after about 2 seconds it would turn itself off and then on again doing the same thing each time. The only way to stop the cycle is to power off at the back. After about an hour of leaving it off, it boots normally again.

At first I thought it was the CPU overheating but if you take a look at the attached image, it's hovering at 40. Is that too hot?

(PS. I have noticed it's happened a few times after physically moving the entire tower)

EDIT: Just checked CPU-Z and it says my CPU is running at 3.8Ghz...I have no idea how to overclock and I didn't even think you could on the non-k series?

Hmm according to google the max boost on your CPU should be 3.4Ghz, so you might want to get that checked out in the Bios and make sure no automatic overclock setting is on or reset everything to default?

Stubo

So I had another attempt at tidying up my cables when I put my Xonar DGX in. After being depressed by how clean another build turned out in the R4 with a non-modular PSU for someone else I had to try...

Before:
UvziO.jpg

After:
dOIcl.jpg

Still nowhere near the madness some of you guys have produced, but it's about as good as I can get it I think!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
NOOOOO!!!

UPS fucked me :p. Pieces get here today, but case...

Scheduled Delivery:
Wednesday, 10/17/2012, By End of Day

*sniff* Why..., why.. WHYYYYY!!!

Shambles

PSA for my frozen brothers/sisters to the north.

NCIX has the Fractal Node 304 and 605 in stock! $90 and $150 CAD respectively.

Sadly the downfall of my HTPC is that it's always going to be a compilation of hand-me down parts from the desktops in the house which means that my HTPC has to support ATX motherboards. :( Those are some pretty nice looking boxes for the living room.

I may end up doing that. Is there a general rule of thumb as to when an upgrade is worth it?

It really depends on your disposable income. Some people to the latest and greatest. Some people upgrade every 3 generations of GPUs, some people upgrade once they can double the performance of their GPU for the same price of their old GPU. I usually go 3-4 years and do a full rebuild and hand my machine off to the wife. A good indicator of an upgrade being worth it to you is when you start loading up games and start to become really disappointed in the performance you get. Usually the less extra money you have the happier you are with mediocre performance.

mkenyon

Banned
Sadly the downfall of my HTPC is that it's always going to be a compilation of hand-me down parts from the desktops in the house which means that my HTPC has to support ATX motherboards. :( Those are some pretty nice looking boxes for the living room.
The Node 504 is an ATX case.

Quick question:

I just got my SSD and connected it as a secondary drive just to see if it works and which firmware was on it. After I installed Intel RST drivers, my DVD drive disappeared from my devices. It was only listed in the Intel RST program as " ATAPI device" (I think) but I couldn't do anything with it. Why is that happening?

I'm going to do a fresh Win7 install on the SSD later, but wanted to check first how I could fix that.

ghibli99

Hmm... how's the life for these SSDs? Better than before? Would it last as an OS drive and some programs for a system turned on 24/7 for like.... 4-5 years?
With the overall decline in mechanical drive quality this year, getting a good SSD as a main is a no-brainer. Have a secondary drive, a RAID-1/5 NAS, or cloud storage for anything important (all 3 is what I do). I don't keep my user folder on my main drive either in case it fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom