• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
First choice is blend. Blend does RAM and CPU at the same time and isn't quite as taxing. Do Small FFT for CPU-specific stress testing.

mkenyon

Banned
mkenyon what tape do you use for your SSDs? I used some that came with the laing d5 and it fell off within an hour.
3M Scotch Heavy Duty Mounting Tape.

It's black, covered with red lining. I had to literally fold my sheet metal in half to get it off of the drive bay area.

I also use it as sound dampening whenever I can mount something with it. My D5 bay/res is now mounted with it. A lot more quiet.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I know you have to register evga cards on the website and the warranty is non-transferable, but what's the story with msi cards? Do I still need to register on the website?

Darknight

Need some help please!

My specs:

Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Intel i5 2500k
Antec Cooler Freezer i30
8GB Ram
1TB HDD
MSI Geforce GTX 460 v2 1GB DDR5 192bit bus (SLI - 2x of these) [INFO]
Antec Truepower 750W
Case: Antec 900

Ok I think I got everything listed. I have some issues with some games such as NFS: Hot Pursuit (2010-2011) PC and say Tribes Ascend games. My issue is that I'll be playing the game for a few minutes then the video/game freezes for like 2-3 seconds, screen goes black and then the game comes back on like nothing happened. On tribes, the audio goes out after the crash but still playable.

Im curious whats wrong. Not sure if my PSU cant handle the load or if my graphic cards are faulty or maybe they just cant "sustain" HD assets [:(...wtf is the point of SLI then?]

NFS:HP Settings
Res: 1280x720
Shadows: High
Textures: High
Antialiasing 8x CSAA (game does the same without this)

Anyone here know what I can do to see what the problem is? Is it the 1GB video memory just not good enough? If so why sli cards in the first place? Well just looking for some advice here. Weird I can run PlanetSide2 beta on all High settings at 720p without any crashes. Nothing is being OC'd, maybe that would help?

golem

Im curious whats wrong. Not sure if my PSU cant handle the load or if my graphic cards are faulty or maybe they just cant "sustain" HD assets [:(...wtf is the point of SLI then?]

NFS:HP Settings
Res: 1280x720
Shadows: High
Textures: High
Antialiasing 8x CSAA (game does the same without this)

Anyone here know what I can do to see what the problem is? Is it the 1GB video memory just not good enough? If so why sli cards in the first place? Well just looking for some advice here. Weird I can run PlanetSide2 beta on all High settings at 720p without any crashes. Nothing is being OC'd, maybe that would help?

Your power supply certainly appears to be strong enough for that setup but it sounds like a power issue. Have you tried reseating your power connectors or running in single card mode?

hypernima

Banned
Anyone with knowledge of wireless adapters could I get some tips? Should I go USB or PCI?
And if there's any ones you would suggest.

Tess3ract

Banned
Quick help, my power supply only has an extra 4 pin power connector, but the motherboard has an extra 8 pin power connector slot, what do I do?

mkenyon

Banned
I never registered my gtx680 am I boned?
Nah, they did away with that. People holding on to old data without updating it, don't listen to them. They switched it to serial # like every other company in the world finally.
Anyone know where can I get an extra CoolerMaster TPC 812 fan (in the US)? I've been searching but can't find.
It should just be some random cooler master fan. Look for something similar on the cooler master store. It probably has PWM function.
I know you have to register evga cards on the website and the warranty is non-transferable, but what's the story with msi cards? Do I still need to register on the website?
They did away with this. MSI, ASUS, et all, all do it through serial #.

ghibli99

Before (GB GTX 285, 6GB DDR3 1333, stock cooler):
rjqCV.jpg

After (GB GTX 670 WF OC, 8GB G.Skill RJ DDR3 1600, CM Hyper 212 Plus w/ 2 fans):

I'm done for now. Upgrading the wife's PC with an SSD later this week, plus some more RAM, and then it's time to actually play some games. LOL

Thanks again for this thread. It was really helpful in guiding a number of my purchases and OC paths.

Tess3ract

Banned
So I found the 8pin on my PSU but now my Z77A-GD55 keeps throwing out a "A2" error, help?

Seems to be related to waiting for usb stuff but I don't know what to do

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I found the 8pin on my PSU but now my Z77A-GD55 keeps throwing out a "A2" error, help?

Seems to be related to waiting for usb stuff but I don't know what to do
Power off your machine. Turn PSU off. Hold power button for 20s.

Clear the CMOS/BIOS using a button or jumper or taking the battery out for 20s. Reseat the RAM, GPU, and unplug/replug all power and data connectors. Swap your HDD cable to a different port on your motherboard (Usually the left most slots are the best).

Tess3ract

Banned
Power off your machine. Turn PSU off. Hold power button for 20s.

Clear the CMOS/BIOS using a button or jumper or taking the battery out for 20s. Reseat the RAM, GPU, and unplug/replug all power and data connectors. Swap your HDD cable to a different port on your motherboard (Usually the left most slots are the best).
Thank you. Back in the Bios now. What the fuck was the problem -_-

Tess3ract

Banned
Well I can boot up to the windows error recovery....then I get a blue screen and the computer restarts when I try to boot into windows. Safe mode just restarts on me.

I have 0 desire to reinstall windows 7, and even if I did, that's another several hours of backing shit up and reinstalling everything...

Would popping in a repair disk work?

mkenyon

Banned
Bump. Anyone?
It's not a hard and fast rule. Read 'Inside the Second' article posted in the news section of the OP. Bottlenecks are entirely game dependent. It will exist no matter what kind of GPU you have in games running UE3, or in Bilzzard games. It won't matter a lick in Battlefield 3.

Buy the best GPU you can afford, then upgrade mobo+cpu when you can.

Whooter

It's not a hard and fast rule. Read 'Inside the Second' article posted in the news section of the OP. Bottlenecks are entirely game dependent. It will exist no matter what kind of GPU you have in games running UE3, or in Bilzzard games. It won't matter a lick in Battlefield 3.

Buy the best GPU you can afford, then upgrade mobo+cpu when you can.

Ah! Interesting! Thank you very much, sir! :)

Well I can boot up to the windows error recovery....then I get a blue screen and the computer restarts when I try to boot into windows. Safe mode just restarts on me.

I have 0 desire to reinstall windows 7, and even if I did, that's another several hours of backing shit up and reinstalling everything...

Wouldn't hurt to try (hell its usually the first thing i do when Windows goes to complete shit)

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm working on making my old thumb drive into a bootable disk here, I'll boot into that and do a repair.

I know not reinstalling windows after a mobo change is asking for trouble, but i have to be up in 5 hours

ScRYeD

If ya have an ssd go into the bios and check to see if your ssd is in ACHI mode, had a similar problem when my bios changed it for some unknown reason.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Well, I finally upgraded from a reference gtx 280 to an msi twin frzr 4gb gtx 680 and I'm impressed. Not only does the card stay silent during gaming, but I can definitely tell that it's significantly faster in BF3 than my old 3gb gtx 580.

Hey guys I'm prone to headaches and I've read that low refresh rates can contribute quite a bit to them, so I'm in the market for a high refresh rate monitor.

Any suggestions?

I would say my budget is around $200.

AkIRA_22

Did windows boot into VGA mode after deleting from device manager or did it find old drivers and install them? You must keep repeating the process until windows stops finding old drivers and resorts to VGA mode to reset your corrupt driver cache. Driversweeper has corrupted my cache on numerous occasions, until I figured out what was causing it. Deleting the AMD folder achieves nothing as that is not where Windows looks to find its archived drivers, its an infuriating trait of Windows that it insists on installing any old drivers it finds in its cache without user input.

The other alternative is using GPedit to force windows to ignore the driver cache, but you need Windows professional and above for that. Let me know if you need further info.

Yeah it went into VGA. I checked the device manager and it was coming up and standard VGA device, really odd. I tried the 12.8 and 12.7 to no avail.

Whooter

Hey guys I'm prone to headaches and I've read that low refresh rates can contribute quite a bit to them, so I'm in the market for a high refresh rate monitor.

Any suggestions?

I would say my budget is around $200.

I believe low refresh rates only contribute to that if you're using a CRT monitor. LCD panels don't "flicker" at low refresh rates because they don't do blanking.

I believe low refresh rates only contribute to that if you're using a CRT monitor. LCD panels don't "flicker" at low refresh rates because they don't do blanking.

Ah that makes sense.

Do you think a 120hz monitor is worth it then?

I suppose I'm still in the market for a new monitor, so any recommendations around the $200 level would be great, 120hz or not.

beje

Banned
Well, unless I can find a 200-300ft Ethernet cable I'm pretty boned.
I live upstairs and the modem is all the way downstairs :\

Wifi is not THAT bad. Unless there are a fuck ton of walls in the way, it doesn't add any significant lag to the connection. I've been gaming all my life on wifi and I've never got ping values above 50ms for regional servers.

If you send a ping through the windows command prompt:

Code:
ping -t "IP address of your router"

you'll see the response time of your wifi connection. Protip: it barely adds 1-2ms lag.

Just my two cents, I think it doesn't hurt trying a 10 bucks PCI wifi card.

Tess3ract

Banned
What kind of temperatures should a 3570k have at idle? In the Bios it seems I had temps of less than 50 with a 212+ and a fresh coating of AS5

abunai

What kind of temperatures should a 3570k have at idle? In the Bios it seems I had temps of less than 50 with a 212+ and a fresh coating of AS5

I'm idling at 26 but it's really cold today (4 or so celsius) and the heating isn't on. And I've got 2 fans on the heatsink, 2 top exhaust fans and a rear fan if that makes a difference.

beje

Banned

You shouldn't worry much about idle temps because most of the times they're not completely correct and they are affected by the room temperature, anyway, maybe you could google "3570k EVO 212" and there most likely will be somebody reporting their temps in a thread, or in a benchmark. The most important temps are load ones, and as far as I know anything below 70ºC is completely safe.

Halp, what card to pick?

Even before reading any kind of reviews and benchmarks (which you should do :p) I'd initially be interested in the Gigabyte one for the extra fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom