• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

I believe low refresh rates only contribute to that if you're using a CRT monitor. LCD panels don't "flicker" at low refresh rates because they don't do blanking.

Some people have had issues with the strobing from LED monitors. The lighting itself can cause issues.

ithorien

Like I know. It's computers man.

If I could like things on Gaf, I would press like on this a million times. I work for a software dev that supplies software for independent pharmacies, and that's what I hear all day. "Why is it broken?" Like I know which one of the million things went wrong.

Tess3ract

Banned
You should come up with a different reason every time.

"Sounds like a ghost came up and gave the server a big slobbery kiss. The ectoplasm tends to mess up electric components."

ithorien

You should come up with a different reason every time.

"Sounds like a ghost came up and gave the server a big slobbery kiss. The ectoplasm tends to mess up electric components."

My favorite is explaining hard drive errors to people. Or holding back the snark when they tell me they have an 8 year old PC and don't understand why it's slow.

mkenyon

Banned
Well what do we have here.....

214b8d6c_20121016_070952.jpeg

gokieks

Wifi is not THAT bad. Unless there are a fuck ton of walls in the way, it doesn't add any significant lag to the connection. I've been gaming all my life on wifi and I've never got ping values above 50ms for regional servers.

If you send a ping through the windows command prompt:

Code:
ping -t "IP address of your router"

you'll see the response time of your wifi connection. Protip: it barely adds 1-2ms lag.

Just my two cents, I think it doesn't hurt trying a 10 bucks PCI wifi card.

It's not just ping. There's a much bigger risk of dropped or lost packets on a wireless connection, and that's not something that'll manifest through looking at a ping number but can have a major effect.

That said, Wi-Fi is good enough, especially with a good router, that if you have to go the wireless route it's not a tremendously major issue. But an ethernet connection will always be preferable.

Veal

You shouldn't worry much about idle temps because most of the times they're not completely correct and they are affected by the room temperature, anyway, maybe you could google "3570k EVO 212" and there most likely will be somebody reporting their temps in a thread, or in a benchmark. The most important temps are load ones, and as far as I know anything below 70ºC is completely safe.

Even before reading any kind of reviews and benchmarks (which you should do :p) I'd initially be interested in the Gigabyte one for the extra fans.

So how bad are temps above 70C? For instance, 73C on load?

kennah

What's the verdict on OCZ SSD's?

I had one die (Petrol), it's replacement is holding up so far (Vertex 3).

Generally avoid, as getting the known brands (Crucial, Samsung) isn't that that much more. And if you can, wait, everything is falling in price right now.

SoulClap

I'm going to replace my AMVA Philps 273PQPY and Dell u2311h setup with an Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSBS and BenQ XL2420T. I would have preferred the S23A700D over the BenQ but it doesn't have a DisplayPort connector. It also doesn't support 3D Vision either. I'm nervous about ordering the Korean brand monitors too. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't break down after a few months.

mkenyon

Banned
I have both, fortunately. The XL2420T has lower lag time and a bit of a 'cripser' feel to it, if that makes any sense. Like, my enjoyment of playing Warsow on it is higher than the S23A750D. The colors aren't nearly as nice though, and I've spent hours trying to calibrate the XL2420T. If it weren't for NVIDIA having the worst displayport issues that give me constant headaches, I'd swap the S23A to be on my primary computer. Works great with the 7970 though.

*edit*

Looks like the 950D has come down quite a bit in price too.

As far as 3D goes, I have zero interest. I buy these ones for 120hz. I'm completely clueless as to how any of the 3D stuff works.

SoulClap

I have both, fortunately. The XL2420T has lower lag time and a bit of a 'cripser' feel to it, if that makes any sense. Like, my enjoyment of playing Warsow on it is higher than the S23A750D. The colors aren't nearly as nice though, and I've spent hours trying to calibrate the XL2420T. If it weren't for NVIDIA having the worst displayport issues that give me constant headaches, I'd swap the S23A to be on my primary computer. Works great with the 7970 though.

*edit*

As far as 3D goes, I have zero interest. I buy these ones for 120hz. I'm completely clueless as to how any of the 3D stuff works.

My knowledge of 3D Vision is pretty limited as well. I'm just curious to see what titles like Metro 2033 and Arkaham City would look like in 3D. Thanks for the info regarding the XL2420T. I was hoping the color accuracy issues could be resolved with calibration but that doesn't seem to be the case. Oh well, I'm looking forward to 120Hz anyways. Congrats on the 3x 670 too.

Vigilance

Is it possible to use the HD4000 of my 3570k to do the work of displaying one monitor, while my HD4890 displays on the other?

I have my hd 3000 hooked up to my secondary monitor via the motherboard's vga and the main monitor to my 7870. You might need to enable the integrated gpu in bios.

scogoth

My knowledge of 3D Vision is pretty limited as well. I'm just curious to see what titles like Metro 2033 and Arkaham City would look like in 3D. Thanks for the info regarding the XL2420T. I was hoping the color accuracy issues could be resolved with calibration but that doesn't seem to be the case. Oh well, I'm looking forward to 120Hz anyways. Congrats on the 3x 670 too.

Not worth it for those games. 3D is only really amazing in racing/flight sim games. Its a nice novelty playing FPS games but it is such a huge performance hit that online games feel like a chore. Its funny that 3D looks so much better with visual candy cranked up yet requires >2x the performance to achieve it, I get headaches from 3D when visuals are turned down. Really 120Hz 2D is much more useful than 3D unless you are really into sims.

scogoth

I enjoy surround BF3 but thats also 120Hz screens.

EDIT: UPS tracking show my aquaero and WC parts all arriving tomorrow! Now I learn how to drain my loop without making a huge mess

abunai

*edit*

Honestly, after using both for a while each the S23750D feels better to me. There's absolutely zero noticable ghosting on the Samsung but I keep noticing some ghosting on the XL2420T. You're right though, the XL2420T has about 8ms less input lag than the Samsung.

Not my pic, but it shows that the XL2420T does ghost a tiny bit. It's still ever so slightly more responsive than the S23A, but for me I'd take no ghosting over 8ms of input lag. I just can't tell the difference between 3ms and ~11ms.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What kind of temperatures should a 3570k have at idle? In the Bios it seems I had temps of less than 50 with a 212+ and a fresh coating of AS5
Bios temps are dumb. Don't sweat it.
35C idle in Windows, max 65C load if possible.
If I could like things on Gaf, I would press like on this a million times. I work for a software dev that supplies software for independent pharmacies, and that's what I hear all day. "Why is it broken?" Like I know which one of the million things went wrong.
I do things that seem to fix things most of the time. If they don't work? Well shit.
Well what do we have here.....
Not the superior Gigabyte cards obviously. Take the RAM off those and put it on some OC Editions.
Is it possible to use the HD4000 of my 3570k to do the work of displaying one monitor, while my HD4890 displays on the other?
Should be able to on Z77 tmk. Why not run two displays off your 4890 though?
I don't think that model is 3D Vision compatible either. It seems to be discontinued too. I think I've seen you mention the XL2420T before. Would you say it's pretty comparable to the Samsung monitors?
The Samsungs are not NVIDIA 3D vision compatible, but they use another solution which seems like it's ok.

The colors on the Samsung panel should not be possible on TN, but they are. I like mine very much.

beje

Banned
Just received the mobo, RAM (those orange G.Skill stick are gorgeous) and will pick up the water cooler tomorrow. Now I only have to wait to get the CPU and I'm set! If only Amazon didn't decide to send it via Royal Mail (which means it will take a week as soon as it arrives to Spain) I would be building stuff today .__.

Lkr

i'm poor, so bare with me.

my brother is going to get an i3 and an intel mobo, new ram, new gpu, etc. i will get my old phenom ii x4 and my old am3 mobo with my old ddr3 ram, gts 250, etc. i really want to play some older games like bf3, arkham city, etc at 1080p. am i good with just a gpu upgrade to a current midrange(i would be getting my old gts 250 back with it), or would i have to reinvent the wheel here and build something new? i'm basically just trying to squeeze all of the life i can out of old hardware, i don't need to play at 1080p with 16xAA and get 100FPS. i just want to play on something that will handle it better than the 6770m in my laptop and not get as hot.
mobo is a m4a785td-m evo i believe

mkenyon

Banned
That's right on. 70s for Ivy is fine. 65 was good to shoot for with Sandy, but not Ivy.

*edit* Meaning that 65 is a silly restraint, but still good if it's there regardless.

scogoth

my brother is going to get an i3 and an intel mobo, new ram, new gpu, etc. i will get my old phenom ii x4 and my old am3 mobo with my old ddr3 ram, gts 250, etc. i really want to play some older games like bf3, arkham city, etc at 1080p. am i good with just a gpu upgrade to a current midrange(i would be getting my old gts 250 back with it), or would i have to reinvent the wheel here and build something new? i'm basically just trying to squeeze all of the life i can out of old hardware, i don't need to play at 1080p with 16xAA and get 100FPS. i just want to play on something that will handle it better than the 6770m in my laptop and not get as hot.

Grab as much GPU as you can afford and you're fine for the rest =)

t-ramp

You should be fine. A Phenom II X4 with a decent video card should handle most games at lowered settings. Also, calling BF3 and Arkham City "older" games struck me as kind of odd.

1-D_FTW

Not worth it for those games. 3D is only really amazing in racing/flight sim games. Its a nice novelty playing FPS games but it is such a huge performance hit that online games feel like a chore. Its funny that 3D looks so much better with visual candy cranked up yet requires >2x the performance to achieve it, I get headaches from 3D when visuals are turned down. Really 120Hz 2D is much more useful than 3D unless you are really into sims.

Disagree with most of that, but whatever. YMMV. Metro and Batman games are two 3D showcase games IMO. Absolutely fantastic in 3D.

The only part I really agree with is racing sims. Absolutely makes it easier to keep your view forward and have better spacial awareness of the upcoming track. Can't even agree with the flight sims, because I've yet to find a flight sim without significant issues. It's the one genre that would most benefit from 3D, yet it's the only genre in existence that seems to constantly employ cheats in rendering techniques that makes 3D suck.

beje

Banned
Grab as much GPU as you can afford and you're fine for the rest =)

Yeah, this. You can then upgrade the mobo + CPU + RAM combination later down the road when you feel you absolutely need it and you'll still have a beast machine for some years.

bro1

Banned
Parts arrived today! Corsair 300R case is here, EVGA GTX 660 SuperClock, Corsair Vengeance Memory 8 gigs, Corsair and an OCZ 600w PSU (order mistake), and I have my Samsung 830SSD.

Still need to order the CPU, Mobo, and disk drive. Do you think there will be sales on Black Friday?

Finally, Windows 8 or 7? I don't have either and I'm leaning towards 8. Also, still can't decide on the mobo. Help a brother out! looking at an i5 CPU.

mkenyon

Banned
Black Friday sales typically suck. I did score my PC-350's from NCIX for $50 though.

It seems like for component sales, you just always have to be on the lookout. Black Friday is more about whole systems, laptops, and accessories seemingly.

Thraktor

The two games you've listed are pretty much on the opposite ends of the spectrum as far as CPU bottlenecking go. Battlefield 3 will run on basically any CPU, and is almost entirely GPU-limited, so you could cram a GTX690 in there and get pretty much the full performance out of it. Arkham City, on the other hand, is very much CPU-limited, and your CPU is going to be a bottleneck in the game if you were to go with a powerful GPU.

Have a read through this article, which shows how various CPUs perform with a few modern games (including BF3 and AC).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Black Friday sales typically suck. I did score my PC-350's from NCIX for $50 though.

It seems like for component sales, you just always have to be on the lookout. Black Friday is more about whole systems, laptops, and accessories seemingly.

Same for Cyber Monday?

mkenyon

Banned
Same for Cyber Monday?
Yeah. Generally they're the same stuff as you would find on the weekly discount newsletters.

It's worth signing up for Newegg and NCIX.US/NCIX newsletters. NCIX typically has the best sales. If you are interested in other hardware, like fans/cases/cooling, sign up for Frozen CPU and Performance PC's.
For the nvidia users, what vsync setting do you guys like to use?
Off, and 120hz. :p

Ledsen

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT

you guys.

So I have a Vaio laptop from march 2010. It's loud as hell. It's very nearly louder than my god damn (non-slim) 360. It sounds like a jet taking off.

But then I opened the sucker up and took a look at the innards.

So it has two copper cooling arms on the CPU and the GPU respectively, routing heat to the fan.

I looked underneath them.

99% of the cooling paste was burned off. There was literally nothing there except a few thin strips of dried-out remnants of paste. So I re-applied some of my Arctic Silver (yeah yeah I know, I fell for the ca 2005 hype).

Sadly didn't check temps before the application, but My God.

The noise is almost non-existant. I fired up Anno 1404, which previously made me think that we were being attacked by Russian fighter jets, and... nothing. Almost no increase in fan noise from idle. It's even quieter than my 212 Evo/Gentle Typhoon-equipped desktop.

I say goddamn, cooling paste. Goddamn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom