• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

these cooling paste tales are always so strange to me. A lot of people tell me they apply a shit ton (or at least what id consider a shit ton) and it's better for them.

I used barely even a drop on the 212 EVO and it's fine

Ledsen

these cooling paste tales are always so strange to me. A lot of people tell me they apply a shit ton (or at least what id consider a shit ton) and it's better for them.

I used barely even a drop on the 212 EVO and it's fine

Yeah and laptop procs are tiny, I put a small dot on there and spread it with a flathead screwdriver. Think I used the "three strips" method on my desktop 2500k.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Arctic silver was a certified kickassTM product.

Prozel

F yeah!

On-topic: I bought and assembled, for the first time ever, my Prodigy which is awesome. I went with the enhanced all the way expect GPU, which will be a 670. I also picked a 550w from CM since it was the best they had (bought all pieces in one place), hope it will suffice the 670 + some overclocks.

I'm also buying if can afford it a CPU cooler and a Molex adapter since the mobo only has one fan connector besides the for the CPU cooler.

EDIT: Oh, and SSD is AMAZING! I went from a WD Green as OS drive (believe it or not) so the upgrade is unbelievable. It's OCZ Agility 3 by the way. :p

ghibli99

Alright, much better than before:

Z2gel.jpg

Unigine Heaven was a slideshow previously. Now I'm getting decent fps. Getting closer to 10k in 3DMark11 as well (I was barely over 9k before), but my fans are already pretty loud at these settings, and things start to get a bit dicey as I push harder, especially in Heaven. Depending on the run, my 3dMarks are around 9800-9900. No crashes or any artifacting at these numbers. Not yet, anyway.

I'm also having stability problems clocking my i7-920 at anything higher than 4GHz, so I'm just going to stick with it right here. Everything else seems very stable at these numbers. I have a pretty generic fan curve, but it's working for me, so I'm going to keep it as-is for the time being.

Well what do we have here.....
Daaaamn!

mkenyon

Banned
Beast mode run!

It's awesome to see all that extra performance out of nothing more than a bit of free time. Fuck me I need to update the Race Your PC thread.

So you know, that's higher than my first batch of runs with a 2500K @ 5.1GHz and a 7970 when the 7970 just came out. Pretty amazing performance from a proc that is technically 6 releases old. Nehalem was such a good time to jump in.

golem

Unigine Heaven was a slideshow previously. Now I'm getting decent fps. Getting closer to 10k in 3DMark11 as well (I was barely over 9k before), but my fans are already pretty loud at these settings, and things start to get a bit dicey as I push harder, especially in Heaven. Depending on the run, my 3dMarks are around 9800-9900. No crashes or any artifacting at these numbers. Not yet, anyway.

Nice run! If you want to hit 10k in 3dm11, I think adding clocks and subtracting memory should get you there.. you have a pretty nice gpu clock line though, not much throttling going on so i dont know if you want to futz with it except just to break through to 10k.

mkenyon

Banned
Sin is famazing reading. That guy is the only reason why I have a cursory understanding of motherboards and processors. It's dense as all hell, and not written to be approachable though.

golem

Sin is famazing reading. That guy is the only reason why I have a cursory understanding of motherboards and processors. It's dense as all hell, and not written to be approachable though.

Yeah I missed the whole Sandy Bridge oc'ing fun so it took a bit of reading to wrap my head around all of the new tweaks like LLC, PLL, Offset voltage, etc.

x3r0123

so this is pretty much my build that i will be making for the next following months

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case: Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus PA238Q 23.0" Monitor
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse

pretty much one of op's preset
havent decided to get 670 or 660ti
mouse is optional as i can reuse my current g500
reusing my existing monitors + the above monitor
reusing existing hdd
keyboard will be a ducky brown key (waiting for my friend to come back)

Decado

Alright, I'll ask them and see what happens. Otherwise I'll assume the coolermaster won't be too bad.

OK. I think I got it. So from my build I just have to remove the coolermaster. I don't need to add anymore fans, just use the two Spectre pro's I have in that build (one on top and one in the rear)?

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy $80
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card $380
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI mITX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 1PCI-E16 HDMI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard $130
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail $220
RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit $45
PSU: Antec HCG-620M 620W ATX12V Modular SINGLE-RAIL 48A 80PLUS Bronze 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply $75
Heatsink: None (remove coolermaster)
Fans: X2 Bitfenix Spectre Pro BFF-SPRO-12025KK-RP All Black $20
Sound: None
Optical: LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive
Hard-drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RP $70
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5IN SATA3 MCX Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
So I got my PC. It was built by NCIX. They were sold out of the Seasonic PSU or it was replaced by the Antec, which is hopefully good. Otherwise it is the same system recommended here.

Anyway, is there anything I should do to make sure the fans and whatnot were installed properly?

It seems like they ran 3DMark 2011 and it got P8815; I have no clue what that means.

Anyway, are there any recommended steps I should take after receiving a newly built PC from a retailer? Do I need to install drivers, bios etc. or is what it comes with good? I'd like to do as little as possible so I don't fuck anything up. lol

thanks for your help.

Lkr

The two games you've listed are pretty much on the opposite ends of the spectrum as far as CPU bottlenecking go. Battlefield 3 will run on basically any CPU, and is almost entirely GPU-limited, so you could cram a GTX690 in there and get pretty much the full performance out of it. Arkham City, on the other hand, is very much CPU-limited, and your CPU is going to be a bottleneck in the game if you were to go with a powerful GPU.

Have a read through this article, which shows how various CPUs perform with a few modern games (including BF3 and AC).

yeah, i've seen this. problem is, i did a budget build back in 09 and that included going am3 route. it is a dead platform now, so i really can't upgrade without starting over pretty much. i already own AC on 360, so I guess I don't really NEED to play it on PC. I just figured it would run alright because AA did, and they are both UE3. I don't keep up with stuff as much anymore though. i would love to get an i5 at some point, but i think i'd be good with the phenom for another 6-8 months

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm using OCCT to stress test my cpu, and I don't understand why sometimes my Tempatures (which seem to max out at 70c on my 3570k @ 3.6ghz) just fuckin TANK for around 5 seconds every so often. What's going on? I can't a difference audibly, and speedfan doesn't report any trickery.

Mit-

Any more info on expanding storage? I'm looking to get an external hard drive (with external power).

I'd like something along the lines of 2TB. Is there anything truly reliable out there? I was burned by a green WD 500GB back in the day, never got another external since. Right now I'm thinking about a $120 2TB WD external though http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136471&name=External-Hard-Drives

Are these truly reliable? Are there better technologies out there that are more reliable? Should I not worry too much if I'm just looking to store big files like backups and HD video?

golem

Anyway, is there anything I should do to make sure the fans and whatnot were installed properly?

It seems like they ran 3DMark 2011 and it got P8815; I have no clue what that means.
Sounds like a solid base score for that setup.

You generally want air to move through the front of the case and out the back of the case. So there will usually be an intake fan and an exhaust fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlgfAO2Jtls

You can check temperatures with a utility such as Core Temp.
Anyway, are there any recommended steps I should take after receiving a newly built PC from a retailer? Do I need to install drivers, bios etc. or is what it comes with good? I'd like to do as little as possible so I don't fuck anything up. lol
I think it should be all good from a reputable builder... of course if you want to get into tweaking and maximizing that is up to you :) Usually the only drivers that you routinely upgrade are video card drivers (www.nvidia.com in your case).

ghibli99

Beast mode run!

It's awesome to see all that extra performance out of nothing more than a bit of free time. Fuck me I need to update the Race Your PC thread.

So you know, that's higher than my first batch of runs with a 2500K @ 5.1GHz and a 7970 when the 7970 just came out. Pretty amazing performance from a proc that is technically 6 releases old. Nehalem was such a good time to jump in.
Nice run! If you want to hit 10k in 3dm11, I think adding clocks and subtracting memory should get you there.. you have a pretty nice gpu clock line though, not much throttling going on so i dont know if you want to futz with it except just to break through to 10k.
Thanks for the feedback on my overclock... I'm pretty happy with it and will probably just stick with it and enjoy it for now. While OCing and benchmarking are fun/addictive, I did this to boost gaming performance, and so far, I haven't played jack crap. :p Time to change that.

Any suggestions for best virus/malware protection software for a gaming rig? Something unobtrusive? Thanks!
I use MSE + Malwarebytes... <10MB footprint.

Shambles

Your right index finger. (and MSE - sometimes you just need to click on that questionable website)

Quoted for truth. Ultimately only you can stop forest fires. I run noscript and some other addons in firefox to stop even the shady websites. Other people will run a virtual machine to check out sketchy sites. The other machines in the house run MSE. I just got sick of all the false positive for anything that wants to modify memory or the registry.

hypernima

Banned
So I just installed win7, but for some reason the highest resolution I can get with my screen is 1280 x 1024. So I do a performance test, get a 1.0 for graphics/ gaming graphics. So now I'm just like huh??? (I have a GTX 660ti)

Could there be something wrong with my GPU?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ok finally got everything working...

Posting for the first time in GAF on my i7 3770k beauty :D. Any settings I shuld know the the Asus Z77 board to get better performance? Love UEFI too. Can definitely feel that not having a SSD holds back the OS but... heh, w/e :p. Running kinda sluggish at the moment, may be that I am still installing all drivers and when I reboot it'll go faster. Also, Ninite is beautiful

golem

Ok finally got everything working...

Posting for the first time in GAF on my i7 3770k beauty :D. Any settings I shuld know the the Asus Z77 board to get better performance? Love UEFI too. Can definitely feel that not having a SSD holds back the OS but... heh, w/e :p. Running kinda sluggish at the moment, may be that I am still installing all drivers and when I reboot it'll go faster. Also, Ninite is beautiful

Overclock that biatch ;) I hit 4.5ghz on stock voltage with my 3770k and Asus m/b.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Overclock that biatch ;) I hit 4.5ghz on stock voltage with my 3770k and Asus m/b.

Still learning my stuff with the UEFI Bios. Saw the OC option but still haven't messed with it. Installing my apps and stuff first, then will get to that stuff. Haha. Definitely excited to see what it brings later on.

ghibli99

OK, just played some Skyrim after my OC... it's weird, but it's almost too smooth. I felt a little ill after just a few minutes. Is it possible that I've become accustomed to stuttery, inconsistent, sub-30fps this generation? If so, that's kind of sad. This is going to take some getting used to. :p

Oddly the newegg page wouldn't load for me o_O.

Anything over 60fps will be better on a 120Hz monitor, but yes to take full advantage you want to run 120fps if you can

Here's another link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WAGLGO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm guessing the 120hz monitors aren't worth it yet?

I'm sorry to be a pain in the ass but can anyone recommend a good 22-23 inch monitor for gaming?

Edit: I would like to stay around $200 but if those are all subpar I'd spend more easily.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hmmm something is very off...

Its sluggish. Programs arr hanging. Hell, even a Intel Chipset installer hanged. Windows.7 only has basic look even with nVidia drivrrs. Da hell?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yup something is not well. Here I am, opening IE, waiting a minute, while CPU usage is at 0%. Not sure what to do... Any pointers?

golem

Yup something is not well. Here I am, opening IE, waiting a minute, while CPU usage is at 0%. Not sure what to do... Any pointers?

I would try pulling sticks of RAM or rotating them (if possible one is bad), check the heatsink and thermal paste on the CPU and the SMART status of the hard drive (also run a scandisk or chkdsk as well). Any bluescreens? What does the crash dialogue say?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I would try pulling sticks of RAM or rotating them (if possible one is bad), check the heatsink and thermal paste on the CPU and the SMART status of the hard drive (also run a scandisk or chkdsk as well). Any bluescreens? What does the crash dialogue say?

RAM seems fine, CPU temp is at steady 39C, Smart gave me a HDD error some boots ago but its gone now. No bluescreen at all, everything is like... Hanged and barely any CPU being used.

golem

RAM seems fine, CPU temp is at steady 39C, Smart gave me a HDD error some boots ago but its gone now. No bluescreen at all, everything is like... Hanged and barely any CPU being used.

I might try checking the power supply connectors on the motherboard and maybe taking out the video card and using the onboard video, but it sounds like your hard drive might be going down? Any SMART error is bad..

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I might try checking the power supply connectors on the motherboard and maybe taking out the video card and using the onboard video, but it sounds like your hard drive might be going down? Any SMART error is bad..

Yeah it gave me the Smart then went away. Gonna reinstall 7, if not... I am thinking its the HDD

aaah there we go. HDD Smart error! How does Newegg work with RMAs? First time this happens

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Very likely an HDD issue.
Yeah it gave me the Smart then went away. Gonna reinstall 7, if not... I am thinking its the HDD

aaah there we go. HDD Smart error! How does Newegg work with RMAs? First time this happens
Call em up. Tell them it's fucked. Should send you a replacement, might ask you to pay return shipping.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
EU may end up banning a LOT of GPUs due to new power efficiency requirements. What I don't understand is that they're also putting a 320GB/s cap on memory bandwidth.

https://www.nordichardware.com/news...ripples-future-graphics-cards-exclusive-.html
I don't have the time right now to trace this through the internet, but you usually post good things.

That cap on memory could easily be broken in 6 months. Legislation never ever keeps up with anything tech related and mem bandwidth is a completely pointless stat in regards to something more important like environmental impact, FLOPs, or power consumption.
It's also FUCKING STUPID to go after this insanely tiny footprint instead of, I dunno, EU energy management. Seems like a stupid thing to pile on easily against useless 'gamers'.

Watch there be simply a tax to uplift the 'ban' or a tariff on G7 cards later if anything happens or not.

*Skimmed the .PDF and I see nothing about what the written article mentioned. Just a note in there mentioning separation of desktops tiers including this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom