• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PDF provided is just to show the definition of Lot 3. This is the news for their Swedish site which is a lot more active.

http://www.nordichardware.se/nyhete...topp-foer-framtida-grafikkort-exklusivt-.html

There's this one comment:
It is worth noting that the linked Lot 3 report only manage power consumption at Idle / Sleep, which is hardly a problem when today's graphics cards are much more power efficient at idle than 5 years ago.

Doesn't explain the memory bandwidth cap though. The site is primarily Swedish so I don't know about the general opinion on it.

lolmoose

Neo Member
Hey guys,

My brother recently sold me his 670, and a power supply. I installed and it's been going smoothly for a month. Two days ago, I noticed every time I tried opening an application, or downloading something my monitor would shut off for a couple seconds. After restarting it went back to normal. And today my computer shut off out of nowhere while I was browsing the web and listening to music.

My CPU temps are idling at around 44° and GPU at 39°

My specs are

i5 760 3.3 ghz
Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
8 GB ram
Nvidia 670
FSP Aurum Series 80 plus Gold 500w
Cooler master elite 310
Asus VH236 Monitor

Any help is appreciated :) thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The PDF provided is just to show the definition of Lot 3. This is the news for their Swedish site which is a lot more active.

http://www.nordichardware.se/nyhete...topp-foer-framtida-grafikkort-exklusivt-.html

There's this one comment:

Doesn't explain the memory bandwidth cap though. The site is primarily Swedish so I don't know about the general opinion on it.
Yeah, one thing I was thinking about is that if they did want some energy standard for GPUs it should be for idle/sleep wattages which are fucking amazing right now.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.
Hey guys,

My brother recently sold me his 670, and a power supply. I installed and it's been going smoothly for a month. Two days ago, I noticed every time I tried opening an application, or downloading something my monitor would shut off for a couple seconds. After restarting it went back to normal. And today my computer shut off out of nowhere while I was browsing the web and listening to music.

My CPU temps are idling at around 44° and GPU at 39°

My specs are

i5 760 3.3 ghz
Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
8 GB ram
Nvidia 670
FSP Aurum Series 80 plus Gold 500w
Cooler master elite 310
Asus VH236 Monitor

Any help is appreciated :) thanks.
What are your load temps? Do they instantly cause the shutdown? Check utilities in the first post.

Sounds like a bad power source (Wall Voltage) or power issue (PSU, Mobo, GPU).

The PSU should be rock solid and the GPU should be ok I'm guessing. Might be the mobo not able to take the power strain, it is a 2.5 year old very budget board iirc.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm at 3.8 on my stock voltage for my 3570k.

I like to take it slow. :)
So is everything else sorted out then?

BTW temp fluctuations are normal on artificial CPU load.
Ok finally got everything working...

Posting for the first time in GAF on my i7 3770k beauty :D. Any settings I shuld know the the Asus Z77 board to get better performance? Love UEFI too. Can definitely feel that not having a SSD holds back the OS but... heh, w/e :p. Running kinda sluggish at the moment, may be that I am still installing all drivers and when I reboot it'll go faster. Also, Ninite is beautiful
Just drop in the benchmark thread. Forums will have ASUS board OC guides as well, but the basics are all the same.
OK, just played some Skyrim after my OC... it's weird, but it's almost too smooth. I felt a little ill after just a few minutes. Is it possible that I've become accustomed to stuttery, inconsistent, sub-30fps this generation? If so, that's kind of sad. This is going to take some getting used to. :p
Yes. Then you get the same feeling from 60 to 120Hz but this time you want it :p
Here's another link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WAGLGO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm guessing the 120hz monitors aren't worth it yet?

I'm sorry to be a pain in the ass but can anyone recommend a good 22-23 inch monitor for gaming?

Edit: I would like to stay around $200 but if those are all subpar I'd spend more easily.
120Hz for 2D is totally worth it imo, but it's up to you to have the eye for it and care. The 700D uses the same panel as the 750D (I think) and has amazing colors for a TN panel. Blown away. And it's 120Hz. 3D is not nVidia, it's a 3rd party, but seems ok. I haven't used it yet, don't care very much for 3D.

Xdrive05

My asrock z77 has an auto overclock feature that seems to work well. I set it to 4.4 and it's prime stable at safe temps.

I remember when overclocking well involved a #2 pencil laying a line of led between 2 contacts on the mobo... and you brick the whole system if you're off by a milimeter. Oh the good old days....

lolmoose

Neo Member
Yeah, one thing I was thinking about is that if they did want some energy standard for GPUs it should be for idle/sleep wattages which are fucking amazing right now.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.

What are your load temps? Do they instantly cause the shutdown? Check utilities in the first post.

Sounds like a bad power source (Wall Voltage) or power issue (PSU, Mobo, GPU).

The PSU should be rock solid and the GPU should be ok I'm guessing. Might be the mobo not able to take the power strain, it is a 2.5 year old very budget board iirc.

In MSI Kombuster it went up to 80° at 100% load. Yeah, I know it's a cheap mobo lol. I am able to purchase another one if necessary today.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My asrock z77 has an auto overclock feature that seems to work well. I set it to 4.4 and it's prime stable at safe temps.

My Z77 Extreme4 was rather stubborn when it came to manually overclocking my 2600K, even after a BIOS update. In the end I just selected the 4.6GHz preset and called it a day.

Alienups

Just got a new pc and everything is working fine (bootup time in insane with an SSD, geez) but everything is blurry once in windows. Could it be because i'm using a VGA cable with a DVI adapter at the end to connect my videocard to my monitor ?

beje

Banned
Just got a new pc and everything is working fine (bootup time in insane with an SSD, geez) but everything is blurry once in windows. Could it be because i'm using a VGA cable with a DVI adapter at the end to connect my videocard to my monitor ?

That, and probably non-native resolution. Switch to a DVI or HDMI cable (they're exactly the same specs-wise, save it for audio in HDMI), your eyes will appreciate it.

Kosma

Banned
I wish I wasn't banned so often and could contribute the way I did in 2008 by making the first thread :(

Now I just watch from the sidelines.

Oh well.

Alienups

That, and probably non-native resolution. Switch to a DVI or HDMI cable (they're exactly the same specs-wise, save it for audio in HDMI), your eyes will appreciate it.

Checking the resolution was the first thing i did. I'll pick up a DVI cable later then, cheers.

Tomodachi

Stupid question incoming.

Is it normal that (according to CPU-Z) my CPU voltage oscillates between 1.408 V and 1.416 V, as well as core speed oscillating with voltage (in a range of very approximately 20Mhz)? Is there something wrong in my bios settings or this is a normal behaviour?

I have a Phenom II X4 840 on a Sapphire PC-AM2RS790G mainboard.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Well, the fever got me. I installed my previous PC's 400GB HDD... formatted it to hell, reinstalled W7... and damn is this PC fast XD! Can't wait for the new drive to get here and actually start using this.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

Adjust the phase/clock settings on your monitor.

Celcius

°Temp. member
On my gtx 680, I'm using 306.97 drivers with v-sync off and rarely I'll get a fps drop for a split second which seems like a stutter. Temps are good and it happens rarely, so I'm thinking it's just nvidia working the kink out of the drivers. Anyone else experience this?

JudgeN

My samsung 830 SSD is coming today, is there anything I need to know other then do a fresh install of windows 7 and check for firmware updates?

beje

Banned
My samsung 830 SSD is coming today, is there anything I need to know other then do a fresh install of windows 7 and check for firmware updates?

Make sure before installing Windows that your SATA mode in the BIOS is set as AHCI instead of IDE and do a google search for optimizing Win7 for SSD, which is essentially deactivating functions like indexing, hibernation or scheduled defrag.

Ledsen

Do the Windows Experience Index test, it will automatically optimize some settings for SSD use. Also what the guy above me said!

I have an additional question as I'm about to install an SSD as well:

Is it worth it to use the Intel RST drivers or should I just go with the msahci ones? Because I have no idea where I can find the right Intel drivers that I need, it seems really confusing.
Also, I read something about an SSD needing a right 4K alignment when formatting/partitioning. Do I need to worry about it or will Windows take care of that automatically?

Ledsen

I have an additional question as I'm about to install an SSD as well:

Is it worth it to use the Intel RST drivers or should I just go with the msahci ones?

I'll just quote a previous post I made, suffice to say you REALLY REALLY want to install RST (AFAIK there's just one version that you can download from Intel themselves):
Uhm... wtf is this? Crucial M4 128 GB SSD, just put it in the SATA 3.0 port on my mobo, latest firmware, AHCI is on.

I've had this disk for a few months now and it didn't occur to me to benchmark until now...

namnlsktz8a.png

dddarxd2.png

EDIT: Installed Intel RST and got this, is this the score I should be getting or is it still too low? Also WTF at the HUUUUUGE difference in speed compared to default Win7 drivers...

namnls2grk6.png

dddzepat.png

Futureman

I need some help building an After Effects/Photoshop rig...

I currently have a 2011 iMac. 2.7 GHz quad core i5, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M w/ 512MB.

I'm looking to build some CUDA compatible to support Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine.... so that means NVIDIA graphics card. No idea what to get. http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-gpus

Can I build something that would be decently more powerful than my current iMac for around $1,500? I'm not going to make that kind of OS switch unless it would be worth it. I would have to update Creative Suite, but I can get Production Premium cheap through my university for $350. Plus I'd be up on CS6 then.

Your Current Specs: iMac 27", 2.7 GHz i5, 16 GB RAMRadeon 6770M w/ 512MB
Budget: probably max I could spend is ~$2,000 (maybe spend $1500 on rig, $500 or so on monitor)
Main Use: After Effects/Photoshop work. Working w/ 1080p video, large .psd files in AE. NO games.
Monitor Resolution: Yes I would need a monitor. Would like something 24"-27"... don't think I need professional color
Looking to reuse any parts?: no
When will you build?: Within the next 6 months I suppose...
Will you be overclocking?: Not sure.

any advice?

hypernima

Banned
So my WD Caviar Blue isn't detected by windows, it isn't even detected by my BIOS.
Did I happen to install it wrong? I don't think I did because this part was a piece of cake.
Weird. The device Manager detects it.

Thraktor

yeah, i've seen this. problem is, i did a budget build back in 09 and that included going am3 route. it is a dead platform now, so i really can't upgrade without starting over pretty much. i already own AC on 360, so I guess I don't really NEED to play it on PC. I just figured it would run alright because AA did, and they are both UE3. I don't keep up with stuff as much anymore though. i would love to get an i5 at some point, but i think i'd be good with the phenom for another 6-8 months

My point was that there's not really such a thing as a perfect graphics card in your situation. Some games won't be bottlenecked at all by your CPU, some will (although, to be fair, even Arkham City Would be very playable, so long as you're not looking for a rock solid 60fps). Just get the best graphics card within your budget, and then sometime down the line you can do a CPU/motherboard upgrade.

I currently have a 2011 iMac. 2.7 GHz quad core i5, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M w/ 512MB.

I'm looking to build some CUDA compatible to support Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine.... so that means NVIDIA graphics card. No idea what to get. http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-gpus

Can I build something that would be decently more powerful than my current iMac for around $1,500? I'm not going to make that kind of OS switch unless it would be worth it. I would have to update Creative Suite, but I can get Production Premium cheap through my university for $350. Plus I'd be up on CS6 then.

Budget: probably max I could spend is ~$2,000 (maybe spend $1500 on rig, $500 or so on monitor)
Main Use: After Effects/Photoshop work. Working w/ 1080p video, large .psd files in AE. NO games.
Monitor Resolution: Yes I would need a monitor. Would like something 24"-27"... don't think I need professional color

any advice?

Six months is a long time in PC hardware, but if you're looking to build something now, the following should be just about doable within your budget:

X79 Mobo of some variety
Core i7 3930K
16GB/32GB DDR3 RAM
GTX570 GPU
256GB Samsung 830 SSD
1TB/2TB HDD
Case/heatsink/PSU/etc.

I haven't priced it, but check Newegg or whatever and my guess is it'll just about fit your budget, and should significantly outperform your iMac. As far as GPUs go, look at ones in the 500 series, they outperform the 600 series for stuff like this, and as you're not gaming on it the benefits of the 600 series are useless to you anyway.

I'm no expert on monitors, but IPS is the way to go for multimedia work, and someone should be able to recommend a nice 27" one for you.

kharma45

any advice?

Does CS6 not work with OpenCL now for that Mercury engine and therefore AMD cards?

http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2012/04...diting-and-effects-to-adobe-premiere-pro-cs6/

http://sites.amd.com/us/Documents/2572 _PartnerBrief_AdobeandPhotoshop_CS6_1P.PDF

Or is CUDA still better? Or does OpenCL only work with Photoshop and not Premiere?

Prozel

Yesterday I asked what 670 to pick, but turns out they just sold out of the Gigabyte, so I ordered af Palit reference. I don't hope they are as noisy as my reference Club3D 7850.

Futureman

thanks Thraktor! That's a decent start so I can start researching things.

I'm reading that I should get a big tower case to make sure my PSU and graphics card fit. Should I just be searching for "ATX Full Tower" on new egg?

also do I have anything to worry about with Windows 8/Adobe Creative Suite? Applications aren't required to use Metro UI now, but didn't MS say they will require it in the future? I guess Adobe would just have to adapt, but I'm not sure how that will work.

Thraktor

Photoshop properly supports OpenCL, but After Effects only supports it for certain Mac laptops. They're supposed to be moving to OpenCL across the board, but no-one really knows how long it's going to take.

kharma45

Photoshop properly supports OpenCL, but After Effects only supports it for certain Mac laptops. They're supposed to be moving to OpenCL across the board, but no-one really knows how long it's going to take.

Ah right, cheers. Nvidia probably is still the best option for now I guess.

Futureman

but After Effects only supports it for certain Mac laptops.

so I assume it would support my iMac's graphics card? AMD 6770M.

rendering times would be reduced as AE can offload some of the work to the graphics card, but isn't the CPU the main factor in rendering speeds? And I assume that six-core i7 you recommend would run laps around my quad i5?

Thraktor

thanks Thraktor! That's a decent start so I can start researching things.

I'm reading that I should get a big tower case to make sure my PSU and graphics card fit. Should I just be searching for "ATX Full Tower" on new egg?

also do I have anything to worry about with Windows 8/Adobe Creative Suite? Applications aren't required to use Metro UI now, but didn't MS say they will require it in the future? I guess Adobe would just have to adapt, but I'm not sure how that will work.

There's a list of cases in the OP, all of which should fit a full ATX board, along with whatever graphics card you go with. PSUs are a standard size (recommended PSUs are also in the OP under the various builds, at a guess 550W should be good, but I'd ask someone else on that).

As far as Windows 7 vs 8, it's really a matter of preference on your part, Creative Suite should work fine in either.

rendering times would be reduced as AE can offload some of the work to the graphics card, but isn't the CPU the main factor in rendering speeds? And I assume that six-core i7 you recommend would run laps around my quad i5?

Yep, the 6750M and 6770M. As you say, though, the CPU would be the main factor in most cases, and the 3930K, especially overclocked, would significantly outperform the i5 you've got. Furthermore, when they do get around to properly supporting OpenCL, you could upgrade your graphics card to something in AMD's 8000 range and potentially get a decent boost in performance.

speedline

Banned
So my motherboard is fried in my 3 yr old HP desktop. If I replace it, will Windows give me a fit? Do I have to buy a new copy of Windows if I replace the MB? All I have are the HP recovery discs.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What's GAFs opinion of AMD FX-8120 or AMD FX-8150.

I like the fact that it's 8 core so hopefully will be a better fit relative to running future next gen console ports.

mkenyon

Banned

any advice?
If you wanted to save some cash, you could go the Z77/3770K route. Basically go with the 'enthusiast' build from the OP, but go with 32GB of RAM and a nice big 256GB SSD. The 3930K is quite expensive; you'd spend more on it than you would a 3770K + motherboard. It is a total monster though.

For monitors, look no further than the Crossover 27Q. You'll need to buy it on ebay, and AccessoriesWhole sells them with zero-dead pixel guarantee and excellent warranties. It's a repackaged Apple Cinema Display.

Additionally, if you wanted to take a look at building your own OSX box, check out tonymacx86.com.

Your 6770M isn't a card, but an onboard GPU. It's not even comparable. The i5 in your system is probably clocked at 2.8GHz, if it's the model I'm thinking of. The 3770K can be clocked to 4.2 GHz safely and easily, and is hyperthreaded giving you 8 virtual cores. It would be about double the performance. The 3930K is twelve virtual threads, and can be clocked to 4.5 safely and easily. Again, we're talking well beyond double the performance.

X79 and the 3820/3930K/3960X were designed and intended for workstation use. Because of that, they have some additional benefits like quad channel RAM, and giant processors without any extra bits and pieces built into the die like GPU ability. It's just raw processing power. There most definitely is a premium involved with going that route over Z77/3770K.
I wish I wasn't banned so often and could contribute the way I did in 2008 by making the first thread :(

Now I just watch from the sidelines.

Oh well.
You're here now! No reason why you can't.
How are 120Hz monitors quality-wise? I do a lot of photo work, so my U2711's H-IPS panel is tough to beat.
Do you mean colors? The Samsung S23A700/750/950D has amazing colors, and I could barely tell a difference between the colors on it and the Crossover 27Q which is the Apple Cinema Display.
What's GAFs opinion of AMD FX-8120 or AMD FX-8150.

I like the fact that it's 8 core so hopefully will be a better fit relative to running future next gen console ports.
It's bad. It's also not really 8 cores, but 4 sets of 2 core pairs. It performs much more like a hyperthreaded quad core than it does and octocore. It's still bested by the Hexacore Phenom II X6's in a lot of respects.

Read the article 'Inside the Second' from the OP in the news section. It will show you why AMD gaming performance is really bad right now, which makes me sad. Immediate reaction to me saying all of this is probably akin to 'he's just an AMD hater', but I assure you I'm about as brand agnostic as it gets.
So my motherboard is fried in my 3 yr old HP desktop. If I replace it, will Windows give me a fit? Do I have to buy a new copy of Windows if I replace the MB? All I have are the HP recovery discs.
Yeah. You'll probably have difficulty finding a motherboard that will work in your case too.

cametall

The Sennheiser PC 360s are on sale from Amazon for $153. Down from like $200.

I just bought the PC 350s for a few dollars less than this.

Salsa

well I got a call back from RMA saying they are indeed going to change my whiny FTW LE for a gtx670 ASUS DCII, just not sure when the shipment is coming since they're out of stock. I'll also have to pay like a 10 buck difference or something.

Did I do good GAF? cooler is always better

pressshot.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
well I got a call back from RMA saying they are indeed going to change my whiny FTW LE for a gtx670 ASUS DCII, just not sure when the shipment is coming since they're out of stock. I'll also have to pay like a 10 buck difference or something.

Did I do good GAF? cooler is always better

pressshot.jpg
Yes you did absolutely.

Only reason to buy EVGA this gen is if you are putting waterblocks on your cards.

My i5 2400k has been running at 3.8ishGhz for a while and under stress, temps get to about 90c. I was thinking of upgrading my processor anyway since the 2400 isn't the best. Any recommendations?

(Also have a new CPU fan on the way to keep this cool while it dies)

mkenyon

Banned
When was the last time you cleaned your case? What's the case airflow situation?

Any upgrade is going to be marginal at this point. You'll get some improvements in UE3 and Blizzard games, but that's about it. You would want to go 2500K/3570K in the $190-210 range, or 2700K/3770K in the $290-320 range.

I'd suggest waiting for haswell and fixing your airflow/cooler issue.

Salsa

Only reason to buy EVGA this gen is if you are putting waterblocks on your cards.

the only advice against it that I got was that EVGA's customer support is great, but honestly that doesnt mean anything for me being so far away.

Hope I can OC this to the DCII TOP clocks

That's great!

Now I'm on the edge of my seat to find out what bothers you next ;)

oh, there will be something, dont worry.

mkenyon

Banned
Eh, the evga customer service is overblown. They have active forums and some really good PR that makes it seem like your situation is well taken care of. When time comes to RMA, an RMA is an RMA is an RMA. They all take about a week.

hypernima

Banned
So my WD Caviar Blue isn't detected by windows, it isn't even detected by my BIOS.
Did I happen to install it wrong? I don't think I did because this part was a piece of cake.
Weird. The device Manager detects it.

Nearly 90 mins after I still can't get it to work.
Put it in all the SATA ports and everything.
>.<

CatPee

My i5 2400k has been running at 3.8ishGhz for a while and under stress, temps get to about 90c. I was thinking of upgrading my processor anyway since the 2400 isn't the best. Any recommendations?

(Also have a new CPU fan on the way to keep this cool while it dies)

I'm assuming 2500K, considering 2400 can't be OC'd? If so, there's no reason to upgrade. It's still pretty much the granddaddy of gaming processors.

90C is insane though. You probably seated your cooler poorly or have zero airflow in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom