• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess3ract

Banned
Yes, I've connected my 212+ before, I've applied the as5 paste several times before in the past and know how to do it.

Tentatively speaking here: it looks like I may have had my fan facing the wrong direction, as it looks like I'm getting 70c~ in prime95 @ large ffts

scogoth

watercooling and aqua computer are money sinkholes. Start climbing into the rabbit hole and then you fall down a looooooong way. Totally unrelated I'm think of getting a poweradjust for the aquaero.

Okay so far I have a 3570k at 4.2Ghz @ 1.208v and running prime95 I get temps of about 80c with a hyper 212+ and AS5.

I have a shitty case but is that about right? I'll replace the case maybe next week with something that has better airflow.

I was running at 4.4 with lower voltage (1.196) and got a 76C as the highest max temp on blend.

Yes, I've connected my 212+ before, I've applied the as5 paste several times before in the past and know how to do it.

Tentatively speaking here: it looks like I may have had my fan facing the wrong direction, as it looks like I'm getting 70c~ in prime95 @ large ffts

hmm sounds interesting.

Which one is better for temps/stabilty ffts or blend?

oh yeah I never posted this: I got a weird ass issue like a week ago when I was watching a fullscreen youtube video and suddenly the framerate went crazy low and the whole PC starting making a real stressful noise. Even the cursor framerate was fucked up. I looked at argus monitor and everything was super hot and working its ass off during that 5-10 second period, even when it comes to voltage I believe.

I got scared since I had just recently overclocked my cpu to 44x but without manually setting the vcore (cant do that on my mobo)

I lowered to 43x and I havent had problems so far..

in the back of my head I still wonder how risky this could be tho. Here's a CPU-Z screen at idle:

sZzgh.png

the voltage numbers fluctuate between that and say, 1.344 constantly

Ok, maybe a weird question, but was this at Saturday/Sunday at 1 AM when your PC started doing that? I had the same thing happen to me on two separate occassions, and it was the scheduled Windows System Assessment Tool which wanted to recalculate my score WHILE I was playing a game. It disabled the Aero Desktop and stressed my GPU 100% and it started to whine. Look at your scheduled tasks, maybe it's the same thing. Scared the hell out of me.

CatPee

Ok, maybe a weird question, but was this at Saturday/Sunday at 1 AM when your PC started doing that? I had the same thing happen to me on two separate occassions, and it was the scheduled Windows System Assessment Tool which wanted to recalculate my score WHILE I was playing a game. It disabled the Aero Desktop and stressed my GPU 100% and it started to whine. Look at your scheduled tasks, maybe it's the same thing. Scared the hell out of me.

Oh god, that's what that is? Scares the shit out of me during the two times it's happened.

AkIRA_22

For the love of God, does anyone know where I can get one of these?

ek-fc7970---na-2_800.jpg

It's the ORIGINAL EK cover block from EK (EK-FC7970 - Acetal+EN). EK have gone and changed their design MID CYCLE which means these are now rare. Basically I have a 7970 using one already and I want to get a second 7970 and obviously want to add it to my loop. I also want to keep everything identical.

If for some reason you have a spare just sitting around PM me :)

Salsa

@YianGaruga damn, that could have been it D:

Windows Power settings can affect this too.  High Performance will keep the ghz maxed at all times I believe.

isnt having your cpu clocks at max all the time nothing to be worried about? I asked the same thing about a week ago and after some googling it seems a lot of people prefer it this way. More stable and it doesnt have to throttle up. AFAIK you're not doing any harm nor "shortening" the longevity by a remotely noticeable amount

Salacious Crumb

A new version of EVGA Precision X was just released with an interesting new feature

EVGA K-Boost – This feature will allow you to “lock” GTX 600 series cards to Boost Clock/Voltage, even in 2D mode. Some important notes about this new feature:
If using SLI, please disable SLI prior to enabling this feature, you can re-enable SLI once system is rebooted.
Please disable EVGA K-Boost before reinstalling, or uninstalling the NVIDIA driver.

http://www.evga.com/precision/

golem

isnt having your cpu clocks at max all the time nothing to be worried about? I asked the same thing about a week ago and after some googling it seems a lot of people prefer it this way. More stable and it doesnt have to throttle up. AFAIK you're not doing any harm nor "shortening" the longevity by a remotely noticeable amount

Yeah it probably makes very little noticeable difference in the lifespan of the CPU, I just like having my voltages and temperatures and overall power consumption somewhat lower when I'm not on the computer (it's on 24/7).

causan

Thanks mkenyon, for asking your sys admin friend regarding the gaming center network, and possiblyphil. You guys brought up some great points and I was able to get some things cleared up with our network guy.

Now, onto the gaming rigs. So its been decided to build the pc's instead of ordering them premade. We are set to order the parts for 30 of these. So let me know what you think of this build:

Link here

Capture.png

Subtotal: $1,247.88

ithorien

So today I load up Borderlands 2, then after about 3 minutes my screen goes black and I have to restart manually. Upon booting back into windows, I get this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80110D8010
BCP2: FFFFF8800FCEF630
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\101712-5896-01.dmp
C:\Users\Celcius\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-9344-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

According to windows event viewer, this is the same error I've been getting all summer. Any ideas?

edit: If I run msi kombuster for 3 minutes, the same thing happens...

edit2: This is the same issue I've been having all summer, I'm starting to think this psu is faulty...

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
http://www.faultwire.com/solutions/fatal_error_solutions.php

Beyond those two you'd have to analyze the dump file with WinDBG.

Lanbeast

Hey all. My brother is in the process of building a PC and we wanted to have the professionals check it out before we make any mistakes. Would you suggest any changes to this build? We also wanted to make sure that the GPU is compatible with the Motherboard. He snagged one of the Samsung SSDs this morning from Amazon. Thanks!

Thraktor

Hey all. My brother is in the process of building a PC and we wanted to have the professionals check it out before we make any mistakes. Would you suggest any changes to this build? We also wanted to make sure that the GPU is compatible with the Motherboard. He snagged one of the Samsung SSDs this morning from Amazon. Thanks!

The RAM you have selected there is laptop RAM (SO-DIMM), you'll want to switch it out for desktop RAM. Other than that you're fine, but people will probably advise you to switch out the WD Green hard-drive for something more reliable.

t-ramp

This is pretty much never an issue. I would say:

For one 670, a 750W PSU is more than you need. You could possibly save quite a bit of money if you went with something in the 500-600W range.

Why the locked CPU? A K-version (3570K, 3770K) would allow significant overclocking.

Also, microATX is fine, but is there a reason you're not getting a full-sized ATX board?

Lanbeast

The RAM you have selected there is laptop RAM (SO-DIMM), you'll want to switch it out for desktop RAM. Other than that you're fine, but people will probably advise you to switch out the WD Green hard-drive for something more reliable.

Thanks, Thrak. Can't believe we both missed the ram, haha.

This is pretty much never an issue. I would say:

For one 670, a 750W PSU is more than you need. You could possibly save quite a bit of money if you went with something in the 500-600W range.

Why the locked CPU? A K-version (3570K, 3770K) would allow significant overclocking.

Also, microATX is fine, but is there a reason you're not getting a full-sized ATX board?

Is there any advantage in getting the full sized board vs the micro? Will check into a different power supply and the cpu.

Hey guys, any thoughts on this Amazon Deal of the Day?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077CR60Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$69.99

With Prime eligible shipping

Also, how does this compare to the Crucial M4 in the latest build chart?

BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY (hell you might can just go with the 256gb)

the 830 is the top choice, then the M4 after if you can't get the 830 at a decent price.

t-ramp

Hey guys, any thoughts on this Amazon Deal of the Day?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077CR60Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$69.99

With Prime eligible shipping

Also, how does this compare to the Crucial M4 in the latest build chart?
Well, I bit. I kind of do need another drive so I can throw together a PC from my old parts. Might need a PSU as well...

I do have two OCZ 700W units that I butchered in my modding days. Probably time to do some re-wiring and revive those.

LQX

Updated the bios of my motherboard from Windows(which some advise not to) so it could run a i5-3570K and it would not start after the boot. Newegg was having a sale so I quickly ordered an Asrock ZZF. I was so damn depressed, especially after reading many people saying it was basically fucked then I finally came across a post saying you have to change the IDE setting to AHCI in the bios. I bet a ton of people RMA their boards without knowing this. Board is up and running as good as ever but my new board just arrived. Oh well, will be throwing it and my i5-2500K up for sale.

Hi All. I'm going to be building a new PC, but I want to pick the parts up over the next several months rather than pick everything up at once. I have a couple questions regarding my initial plan of doing it this way.

Is there anything that I should be conscious of in doing this?
For Example, should I focus on buying parts in a specific order (taking into consideration future revisions/roadmaps)?
Is there a "best practice" in doing it this way?
Any reason to avoid doing this?

NOTE: This will be my first full build.

mkenyon

Banned
Updated the build some. I read the overclocking thread and followed in here before, but it's pretty simple and safe nowadays from what I understand. So he should be good with the 3770K.
Get low profile RAM. Either the Gskill, Samsung 30nm, or the Corsair Vengeance LP listed in the OP.

The HAF 912 is starting to get a bit hard to stomach. For $10 more, you can get a CM 690II which is better in most measurable ways, and for less you can get the Diablotek Evo which is pretty much on par. If you can swing it, I think the upgrade to the 690II is well worth it.

Any particular reason for going with the 3770K? It offers zero gaming benefits over the 3570K. It's the same processor, just with hyperthreading, meaning that each core is split into multiple virtual cores. This is beneficial in multimedia (rendering, encoding), but not gaming.
Hi All. I'm going to be building a new PC, but I want to pick the parts up over the next several months rather than pick everything up at once. I have a couple questions regarding my initial plan of doing it this way.

For Example, should I focus on buying parts in a specific order (taking into consideration future revisions/roadmaps)?

If you get a bad part, you can't return it to the merchant, but will have to do a full RMA through whatever company makes the product. This means longer down time.

But, I always do it this way to snag sales. Just be prepared for heartache if something doesn't work out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NZXT Cases for 20% off. I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetic, but the Phantom 410 is a pretty good deal at $80.

LQX

Get a great case. For many who upgrade the one constant will be the case so get one that looks good and is designed well. Same can also be said for the PSU.

Get a great case. For many who upgrade the one constant will be the case so get one that looks good and is designed well. Same can also be said for the PSU.

I second this, I have owned my Case and PSU for something like 5 years, they have both housed and powered around 7 configurations including my latest gaming Rig with Ivy Bridge.

If you get a bad part, you can't return it to the merchant, but will have to do a full RMA through whatever company makes the product. This means longer down time.

But, I always do it this way to snag sales. Just be prepared for heartache if something doesn't work out.

Good point, but one of the reasons I'm doing it this way is I won't be in a mad rush to have ti completed by a certain time.

I plan to take advantage of sales also but wanted to get some advice before doing it this way. With Haswell coming sometime first half of next year, should I wait and go with it? If I decided to go with Haswell, anything I should take into consideration?

Good stuff. I was thinking that I may pick up the Motherboard and CPU last.

mkenyon

Banned
If possible, buy CPU/mobo/GPU last, unless some GPU crazy sale hits.

Haswell won't be out until March, so unless you are going to drag it out 5 months, I wouldn't worry about it. It's looking like a very marginal upgrade at this point too. Big improvements are on thermal design package (doing more with less) and power saving features. The only thing that gives me pause is the supposed built in IMC (internal memory controller) is supposed to be really good. With Sandy/Ivy, people are limited to using just the multiplier to overclock the CPU which steps up frequency 100mhz at a time, and you need the 'K' model in order to overclock, as the IMC is a pile of garbage with some vomit mixed in. So, Haswell might be a really good overclocker (especially with the fallout of IvyBridge heatwall fail), and the K models might no longer be the 'must buy' they once were.

Lanbeast

Get low profile RAM. Either the Gskill, Samsung 30nm, or the Corsair Vengeance LP listed in the OP.

The HAF 912 is starting to get a bit hard to stomach. For $10 more, you can get a CM 690II which is better in most measurable ways, and for less you can get the Diablotek Evo which is pretty much on par. If you can swing it, I think the upgrade to the 690II is well worth it.

Any particular reason for going with the 3770K? It offers zero gaming benefits over the 3570K. It's the same processor, just with hyperthreading, meaning that each core is split into multiple virtual cores. This is beneficial in multimedia (rendering, encoding), but not gaming.

Made the changes you suggested and saved him another $100 or so. Thanks to everyone for the help, you guys are incredible.

If possible, buy CPU/mobo/GPU last, unless some GPU crazy sale hits.

Haswell won't be out until March, so unless you are going to drag it out 5 months, I wouldn't worry about it. It's looking like a very marginal upgrade at this point too. Big improvements are on thermal design package (doing more with less) and power saving features. The only thing that gives me pause is the supposed built in IMC (internal memory controller) is supposed to be really good. With Sandy/Ivy, people are limited to using just the multiplier to overclock the CPU which steps up frequency 100mhz at a time, and you need the 'K' model in order to overclock, as the IMC is a pile of garbage with some vomit mixed in. So, Haswell might be a really good overclocker (especially with the fallout of IvyBridge heatwall fail), and the K models might no longer be the 'must buy' they once were.

That was actually my initial plan, saving GPU second to last then CPU/mobo last, but again wanted opinions of those with more experience.

I guess I can wait till I have purchased the other parts, and then make a decision on whether Haswell looks like it's worth waiting a little longer. If not Haswell, I'm pretty well set on an i5 3570K.

sk3tch

I'll totally buy that from you when you want to sell it. Seriously.

Cool. I'll hit you up in probably 90 days lol.

AMD appears to be the last bastion of true overclocking heaven...with NVIDIA locking out all kinds of voltage features. I doubt we'll see a Matrix 680.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit I just ordered my CPU, amazon is gonna have it here by tomorrow.
Now to find myself a Planetside2 beta code...

mkenyon

Banned
Cool. I'll hit you up in probably 90 days lol.

AMD appears to be the last bastion of true overclocking heaven...with NVIDIA locking out all kinds of voltage features. I doubt we'll see a Matrix 680.
Yeah, pretty much. Matrix 680 has already been confirmed as never releasing. If only EVGA stood by their product despite losing NVIDIA warranty on it. Waiting for an AIB to grow some balls.
Holy shit I just ordered my CPU, amazon is gonna have it here by tomorrow.
Now to find myself a Planetside2 beta code...
Don't waste your time. Worst game I've played in a long time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe you! The RPS articles have been very interesting. At any rate I'm very curious to see it for myself.
My steam list is already gigantic, I really went all out on the summer sale.

Proteus is gonna be the first game I play.

sk3tch

Yeah, pretty much. Matrix 680 has already been confirmed as never releasing. If only EVGA stood by their product despite losing NVIDIA warranty on it. Waiting for an AIB to grow some balls.

Well, at least that means my Classifieds and Lightnings will be worth a bit more once next gen rolls around and it's time to sell. EVBot sucks anyway. They apparently break from such adverse conditions as "regular use" and "powering on"...I've had two die on me now and I barely use them. I just hit presets and let them sit.

I can see why they back off...that's A LOT of expense to back up on their own...and if they passed that onto consumers I doubt many would back up their strong words against them for "being pussies" once the cards are $200 more than reference design.

BTW - I only played PlanetSide 2 for 15 minutes but I enjoyed it. I'm a huge PlanetSide 1 fan, though. So maybe that's part of it. Aren't you a huge TRIBES monkey? I mean, compared to that you are, of course, going to be a bit underwhelmed! It's not nearly as speedy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom