• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit forgot about the new tribes. Omg so much man shooting.

mkenyon

Banned
Planetside is certainly a very important part of my gaming past. I've done the PS2 thing with a group of 10 buds, and it still sucks. The netcode and engine feels like a FPS version of Mythic's DAOC. That's hyperbole, but it's pretty bad. There's no reason why it can't feel quick and snappy in terms of movement/shooting. APB did it. Their engine is just really really really bad. It makes Battlefield feel like some twitch shooter.
So if I'm building my own PC, and I buy a "bare drive" what cable(s) do I also need to buy with it?
Everything comes with your motherboard and PSU.
Oh shit forgot about the new tribes. Omg so much man shooting.
Yes. T:A is fantastic. If you have some buds to play with, Firefall is pretty sweet too. PvE is kind of like playing constant Horde Mode. At my last LAN, we did a 5 hour stretch of it, and it was seriously the most non-stop intensity I've had playing a game outside of Warsow.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
We also all need to play war of the roses and club eachother to death.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I definitely would be into it. I need to pad out my steam friends list too.

Mangotron

kgbeF.jpg

Does this look about right for a OCZ Vertex 3 120gb? I switched the mode over to AHCI with regedit.

bro1

Banned
If possible, buy CPU/mobo/GPU last, unless some GPU crazy sale hits.

Haswell won't be out until March, so unless you are going to drag it out 5 months, I wouldn't worry about it. It's looking like a very marginal upgrade at this point too. Big improvements are on thermal design package (doing more with less) and power saving features. The only thing that gives me pause is the supposed built in IMC (internal memory controller) is supposed to be really good. With Sandy/Ivy, people are limited to using just the multiplier to overclock the CPU which steps up frequency 100mhz at a time, and you need the 'K' model in order to overclock, as the IMC is a pile of garbage with some vomit mixed in. So, Haswell might be a really good overclocker (especially with the fallout of IvyBridge heatwall fail), and the K models might no longer be the 'must buy' they once were.

so if you have no plans at all on overclocking, and all you want is stability, you can save money by not buying the K part and you won't sacrafice stability?

mkenyon

Banned
If you are planning on using it for games, you most certainly should plan on overclocking. You modify two values and you're golden.

An example of UE3 performance between different clocks. Expect most CPU bound games to be like this:

XSJv2.png

Just ballpark, but for a build with say an i5 3570K and a 7970, how long would you expect to play the latest releases at a standard 60 FPS and 1080P? How much will next gen consoles affect that?

CatPee

Just ballpark, but for a build with say an i5 3570K and a 7970, how long would you expect to play the latest releases at a standard 60 FPS and 1080P? How much will next gen consoles affect that?

Should be alright for a while. Depends on if you wanna go max settings on absolutely everything or not though.

As for consoles, it shouldn't be by too terribly much. Hardware rumors have them being similar to current upper-mid/lower-high end PCs, so I think visuals will improve for PC as well since devs won't be as restricted as they are currently due to current-gen consoles.

Mangotron

Going out on a limb here, but I'd be willing to bet that next gen consoles will be a minimum of 25% slower than that build. I'd guess... 2/2.5 years for max or close to max settings (excluding something like ubersampling.) and you should be able to play games at a "console level" for the entire gen.

derder

So, can anyone improve this?
hfxzB.jpg

My cap is about 650.

If you have no interest in OC'ing, then get the 3570 non-K. If you do (and rightly should) get the Hyper 212+ Heatsink. I'm running at a stable 4.4Ghz @ 60C after 15 minutes of tinkering. Also, read up on RAM/Mobo/CPU capability to ensure an effortless OC.

sk3tch

hfxzB.jpg

My cap is about 650.

Wait - a GTX 570 for ~$300? No way. OC'd GTX 660s beat GTX 580s for cheap. Hell, I'm selling a GTX 580 used for $200 (on hold now, so likely won't be available). Check the aftermarket for a used 580 if you really want Fermi. They're cheap.

mkenyon

Banned
You can't overclock on an H67 board, nor will you get the benefits of PCI-E 3.0. You need a Z77 board.

Grab this 3570K for $220 http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70541&vpn=BX80637I53570K&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1295

This 7950 for $300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

and then the ASRock Pro4 Z77 or Biostar TZ77XE3.
So what's the best card between $200-$300 these days? Both performance and bang for the buck wise. Friend is looking for a recommendation.

This 7870 seems great even though I've only ever had Nvidia cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
7950 at the high end of the scale, 7850 at the low end of the scale. 7870 is kind of meh.
Will this work on SATA II? And if so, will I see a significant drop in performance?
Yes and maybe kind of, but not really.

7950 at the high end of the scale, 7850 at the low end of the scale. 7870 is kind of meh.

Yes and maybe kind of, but not really.

being playing some Trine and Sleeping Dogs and so far i've been getting my money worth (i have more games to throw at it) :)

I can imagine the craziness if i got a 670

Plus no one answered/gave advice on this post

I was running at 4.4 with lower voltage (1.196) and got a 76C as the highest max temp on blend.

hmm sounds interesting.

Which one is better for temps/stabilty ffts or blend?

Ty4on

hfxzB.jpg

My cap is about 650.

Replace the 570 with a Radeon 7850 or 7870. 7850 is cooler and more quiet with the same performance, 7870 is still cooler and more quiet than the 570 and has more performance.

If you really need a Nvidia card then go for a 660 (non-ti) instead. It's between the two Radeon cards in stock performance. An overclocked 7850 does however beat it in most games, especially if you're playing at higher than 1080p and/or with some AA.

Edit: BLAH, didn't refresh and forgot how long the page had stayed open.

cametall

being playing some Trine and Sleeping Dogs and so far i've been getting my money worth (i have more games to throw at it) :)

I can imagine the craziness if i got a 670

Plus no one answered/gave advice on this post

Love my 7950. I should try and push the OC higher but I guess because it's tearing through games where I have it I'm hesitant to push it further (not all that high to begin with at 1075/1500).

Sleeping Dogs on extreme really pushes the card, I love it.

For Prime, FFT is best for CPU OC stability, blend is good at testing RAM. It actually alerted me that I had a bad stick.

Your voltage is higher than mine by a little and my temps go no higher than 65c at load. I have a Corsair H60 closed loop cooler on my CPU for comparison's sake.

EDIT: For some reason I thought you highlighted 7950... I think I'm cixelsyd.

Prozel

Palit was my only option if I wanted it today, otherwise I'd have to the end of next week.

EDIT: By pitch sound I mean coil whine, I think.

saelz8

So I took some of your guys recommendations. Here's final.

s2rdw.jpg

I went with the Gigabyte over the ASRock, as it comes with 8GB of RAM. My case is Micro-ATX, so choices are fewer.

Why on earth is the 7950 cheaper than the GTX 570? I'm curious.

mkenyon

Banned
When retailers bought the 570, it was what, like $350? $400?

Just because new cards came down in price doesnt mean they won't try to sell it for closer to what they paid for it. EVGA isn't going to send them a rebate :p

Going out on a limb here, but I'd be willing to bet that next gen consoles will be a minimum of 25% slower than that build. I'd guess... 2/2.5 years for max or close to max settings (excluding something like ubersampling.) and you should be able to play games at a "console level" for the entire gen.

This is kinda what I expected, but wasn't sure how realistic it was when considering the next gen systems may allow Dev to push the games further.

sk3tch

Pretty hot deal here...Acer GD235HZbid 24" 120hz monitor for $200 shipped @ NewEgg!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222

I just picked up another one of these on Amazon so that's going back (bastards won't price match) and I bought at NewEgg. I've had one of these for over a year. I love it. Great 2D monitor. It uses the 3D Vision 1 tech (not 2) but I have found it to be quite good (I have 3x BenQ XL2420T/TX and they're not worth the extra $$$ IMO)....

I'm in the market for a new external HDD.

Ideally I'd like a 4TB to fit all my backups of everything on it, but it doesn't look like there's much choice at that capacity.

So toning it down to 2TB or 3TB...I'm looking at the Western Digital 3TB:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042Z55RM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My current internal drive is a WD, as is one of my three externals. The other two drives are Seagates on the other hand and have both given me issues. One is pretty much nearly dead and totally unreliable for storing any sort of important data at this point.

Any other recommendations? Should I wait 'til Black Friday? It's not really urgent.

sk3tch

How is it on colors compared to the BenQ?

*edit* Thinking about picking it up to finally get 120hz on my portrait monitor.

I dunno it's a wash (har har) - they are both fairly "OK" at colors. It's a TN...it's 120hz...games look/play great...that's about it. At $200 it's tough to argue. I was looking at getting another BenQ XL2420T but they're $370 at Amazon. Even when I was only saving $120 by going with the Acer GD235HZbid I was happy. It's a nice panel. Plus I dig the aggressive look the stand has. :)

Love my 7950. I should try and push the OC higher but I guess because it's tearing through games where I have it I'm hesitant to push it further (not all that high to begin with at 1075/1500).

Sleeping Dogs on extreme really pushes the card, I love it.

For Prime, FFT is best for CPU OC stability, blend is good at testing RAM. It actually alerted me that I had a bad stick.

Your voltage is higher than mine by a little and my temps go no higher than 65c at load. I have a Corsair H60 closed loop cooler on my CPU for comparison's sake.

EDIT: For some reason I thought you highlighted 7950... I think I'm cixelsyd.

Hmm its a 212+ on this but i will have to do some more tests (was using blend so i may try it again on fft for some time).

When i get the time i might just remove/reapply the cooler once again and see how it goes. :(

as for the card i wouldn't mind the 7950 either but i have this barrier that is very hard to break in my mind (at least until i'm rolling in money) and the 670 was my dream scenario

FFT for CPU. Blend for CPU + RAM.

so fft it is then.

cametall

Hmm its a 212+ on this but i will have to do some more tests (was using blend so i may try it again on fft for some time).

When i get the time i might just remove/reapply the cooler once again and see how it goes. :(

I would take a guess and say your temps will be higher using FFT, so keep a close eye on them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pretty hot deal here...Acer GD235HZbid 24" 120hz monitor for $200 shipped @ NewEgg!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222

I just picked up another one of these on Amazon so that's going back (bastards won't price match) and I bought at NewEgg. I've had one of these for over a year. I love it. Great 2D monitor. It uses the 3D Vision 1 tech (not 2) but I have found it to be quite good (I have 3x BenQ XL2420T/TX and they're not worth the extra $$$ IMO)....
Really? the reviews and impressions I saw for the orange acer were not that great. Cant check details now.

Samaung TN is pretttty nice.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Ideally I'd like a 4TB to fit all my backups of everything on it, but it doesn't look like there's much choice at that capacity.

My current internal drive is a WD, as is one of my three externals. The other two drives are Seagates on the other hand and have both given me issues. One is pretty much nearly dead and totally unreliable for storing any sort of important data at this point.

Any other recommendations? Should I wait 'til Black Friday? It's not really urgent.
WD Red 3tb and buy a case for it. Disable the 6s setting.

sk3tch

Really? the reviews and impressions I saw for the orange acer were not that great. Cant check details now.

Samaung TN is pretttty nice.

Depends on the kind of reviews you're reading. I like the site Digital Versus. They look at things from a competitive gaming perspective. Plus, nevermind that I've owned it myself for over a year and this is my 2nd. The XL2420T/TX is not much better. It's merely a features game. And at $200 (versus $370 and up) this is a steal for a 120hz panel!

scogoth

Depends on the kind of reviews you're reading. I like the site Digital Versus. They look at things from a competitive gaming perspective. Plus, nevermind that I've owned it myself for over a year and this is my 2nd. The XL2420T/TX is not much better. It's merely a features game. And at $200 (versus $370 and up) this is a steal for a 120hz panel!

I remember the Acer having lots of crosstalk issues in 3D, but I don't know about its 2D performance.

mkenyon

Banned
Those white rads look so amazing in there. Just need to get your mobo/RAM in line now. You know deep down inside you want that ECS!

Get a good hard drive and an enclosure. Is there something about that process that is making you hesitate?

Could also look at a NAS box of some sort. Expandable and super rad.

*EDIT*

Wait wait, you have Nehalem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom