• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk3tch

I remember the Acer having lots of crosstalk issues in 3D, but I don't know about its 2D performance.

I've only tried 3D for like 30-45 minutes. Never had any issues. Couldn't care less about the 3D performance. Try it out. I put my seal of approval on it. I'd get rid of all of my BenQ XL2420T/TX and replace them with Acer GD235HZbid's if I could do it easily.

scogoth

Those white rads look so amazing in there. Just need to get your mobo/RAM in line now. You know deep down inside you want that ECS!

Get a good hard drive and an enclosure. Is there something about that process that is making you hesitate?

*EDIT*

Wait wait, you have Nehalem?

Yeah I do, can't afford it know >_> I needed to waste all that money on the bells and whistles.

And yeah i7-930, thing OCs like a beast if you can cool it \(^o^)/

aw it is like the SLI 680s are tucked in ready for sleeps

HAHAHAHA they do look like that!

Hyphen

Quick PSU question guys. I have a choice of only 2 - 700W Xigmatek Modular OR 650W Corsair TX Modular. Is one brand better than the other?

My first build! Friend is coming round Friday evening to help me. Tomorrow will be the most unbearable day at work ever.

ibeU2HHjoHS3nw.jpg

t-ramp

Quick PSU question guys. I have a choice of only 2 - 700W Xigmatek Modular OR 650W Corsair TX Modular. Is one brand better than the other?
They're both good. Corsair is the more recognizable brand, but apparently the TX modular isn't particulary exceptional. If the prices are similar it's probably a toss-up. I'd read some reviews, though, as I just pulled up a couple quick to make sure neither was crap.

mkenyon

Banned
My first build! Friend is coming round Friday evening to help me. Tomorrow will be the most unbearable day at work ever.

ibeU2HHjoHS3nw.jpg
Holy PSU! Planning on adding another three 680s in your future? It's a great one, but prone to coil whine. Think about sending it back for something in the 650W range if you want to avoid that.
Corsair, no question.

Also, @ Mechanical Snowman, I demand pics when you're finished. Been going back and forth on the Dominator Platinum, need some encouragement to finally buy it!

blackwatchplad

Neo Member
Not to start a cpu war or anything.
But I have a Phenom II X2 555 and a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 I got as a deal a while back.
I was just wondering if it's even worthwhile upgrading it, or 'upgrade' to intel, thus making it new mobo/cpu time. I forgot about unlocking cores, up until just now. It even worth it at this point?
Other than that, I'm almost completely happy with this rig.

Except, what is up with some of gigabytes mobo's not having a fan connector near the back for an exhaust fan... It's all the way at the bottom.. terrible placement imo.

I would go with corsair. Not that Xigmatek is terrible or anything.

golem

Holy PSU! Planning on adding another three 680s in your future? It's a great one, but prone to coil whine. Think about sending it back for something in the 650W range if you want to avoid that.

Do all 1000W supplies have coil whine? Thinking about getting an AX1200 or something.

Hyphen

They're both good. Corsair is the more recognizable brand, but apparently the TX modular isn't particulary exceptional. If the prices are similar it's probably a toss-up. I'd read some reviews, though, as I just pulled up a couple quick to make sure neither was crap.

Oh don't get me wrong, I did some research for both, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought too.

blackwatchplad, mkenyon - thanks!!!!

At least 1 more, definitely =)

It was recommended in this thread I think, I hope it isn't too much of an issue. :\

sk3tch

It was recommended in this thread I think, I hope it isn't too much of an issue. :\

It's one of the best PSUs available. Rest easy.

9.7 at jonnyguru.com - THE place for PSU reviews...

Think of it this way - now it will ride with you in a couple of builds. No need to upgrade that bad boy. I did a build with this PSU at a buddy's house...great, great PSU.

mkenyon

Banned

It is literally the best powersupply you can buy (until Sk3tch comes in here with his EVGA love). People who are sensitive to electronic noises will whine to high heaven about the coil whine, but it's something that I've personally grown used to. Barely even bugs me anymore.
Do all 1000W supplies have coil whine? Thinking about getting an AX1200 or something.
I'll say that it's less common to get one without coil whine.
Not to start a cpu war or anything.
But I have a Phenom II X2 555 and a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 I got as a deal a while back.
I was just wondering if it's even worthwhile upgrading it, or 'upgrade' to intel, thus making it new mobo/cpu time. I forgot about unlocking cores, up until just now. It even worth it at this point?
Other than that, I'm almost completely happy with this rig.

Except, what is up with some of gigabytes mobo's not having a fan connector near the back for an exhaust fan... It's all the way at the bottom.. terrible placement imo.
This thread is one of the few places on the net that is free of fanboy BS. The best thing you could do is read the article titled 'Inside the Second' in the OP and make up your own mind.

I think it's worth it though.

sk3tch

It is literally the best powersupply you can buy (until Sk3tch comes in here with his EVGA love).

lol...whatever I have EVGA and Seasonic love. Mad love! I have an X-1250 myself. Great, great PSU, as well! Heck I even have a re-badged Seasonic kicking around here somewhere - XFX 650W...

mkenyon

Banned
lol...whatever I have EVGA and Seasonic love. Mad love! I have an X-1250 myself. Great, great PSU, as well! Heck I even have a re-badged Seasonic kicking around here somewhere - XFX 650W...
I like to rib good naturedly, hard for smirks to get across on the net :p

Does anyone else have problems with the newest version of CPU-Z? I just made a fresh install and used the latest version, which reported my multiplier and Bus Speed (2500K) all over the place. It had 23x-34x even when idle @ stock, and when I OC'ed it to 4,2GHz it showed my Bus Speed fluctuating from 50-100MHz, as well as a very weird multiplier.

Went back to 1.60 and everything is fine again (16x idle, 42x under load, constant 100 Bus). I though I broke something for a second.

EDIT: Also, holy shit at SSD speeds.

Darknight

Ok I posted a few days ago regarding some SLI issues I have with my PC.

So to remind you guys, my video blacks out in the middle of gaming, in games like Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and Tribes Ascend. Video blacks out for a few seconds and video comes back. Not sure what the issue is.

So I took both GPUs out (2x Geforce GTX 460v2) and tested each one. Both work flawless playing NFS:HP, Tribes: Ascend and Planetside 2 Beta. (In high settings I might add @ 720p) So I was thankful my second GPU wasnt faulty since I bought it used on ebay.

Then I hooked them up once again in SLI mode and same thing happens. Video goes black and then it comes back. I looked at the NVIDIA SLI support page with the list of game and noticed that NFS:HP is (i guess) not officially supported for SLI thus concluding the game wont work with 2 GPUs in SLI mode no matter what.

And now my question to you PC Elite is, if a game doesnt work in SLI, do you just disable one of the GPUs before you play said game or change it on the settings to disable SLI for that particular title? And if SLI mode is not supported by all games, why are the defaul settings for all games "SLI enabled<recommended by Nvidia>" crap?

xJavonta

Banned
Alright guys, question for you.

So once again I'm looking at a GPU, but I actually have the money now thanks to my job. I want something in the <$150 range but I'm not sure what I want to get. I've been looking at these:

AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB ($130)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti ($150)
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB ($140)
AMD Radeon HD 7750 1GB ($100)

Now the last two are a bit of a stretch since they're over $130 (I'd ideally like to stay at or below that) and the 6850 is a last gen card that from what I've seen of it is pretty noisy. I'm only considering the 650 Ti because it's Nvidia and I'd love to try them again, also because Big Picture Mode supposedly has problems with AMD cards under Windows 8, which I'll probably be upgrading to. I'm going to be playing at 1080p with medium-high settings. AA is a luxury that I rarely use much of (usually 2xAA).

The 7750 is probably something I'd go with since it's the cheapest and according to Tom's Hardware it has some decent performance at 1200p with lowered details.

What's my best choice?

The reason my budget is so strict is because I don't want to starve myself, I need gas to get to school and work, and I'm planning on other upgrades as well (new HDD, an SSD, Dual 1080p monitors).

Edit: I should also mention I'm pushing a 460w PSU. Could it handle it? My current card requires no extra power from the PSU, everything is supplied from the PCI slot (another reason the 7750 is looking appealing to me)

scogoth

I'm having trouble making out your loop order. Looks like pump->bottom rad->gpus->cpu->top rad->res.

Is that accurate?

Yes but other way around. I added the rear fan as an intake and side as an intake and added one pull on the monsta. The two pull on the top of the top rad are off because I need some fan splitters (will be here tomorrow). I'm going to buy some more GT fans for the monsta to have a push/pull config, one for the rear, one for the floor and one on the side.

EDIT: running all the fans I have at full and running prime 95 fft and furmark.

CPU - 71C (about the same as the NH-D14, little cooler)
GPUs - 50C/52C
Water - 42C
GPU1 Backplate - 50
GPU2 Backplate - 67

ghibli99

I know it's not a system pusher, but Borderlands 1 for three hours (2560x1440, max everything), and everything seems A-OK. I'm really starting to dislike skags...

Just got a GTX 660 TI to replace my Radeon 5770.

So far it is pretty great, but I wasn't expecting that I would need TWO power plugs for it (the 3x2 ones). I didn't have adapters for my power supply, so I ended up having to unplug my DVD drive and use that one.

Thankfully I haven't used my DVD drive in months, so I should be good, haha.

Astra

Hey PC-GAF, a friend of mine got all the parts for his PC picked out, and am checking in here to make sure everything is looking good. Any suggestions for better options are welcome. Was a little unsure of the PSU, so went overkill there just to be safe.

CPU:
i5 3570K 4C/4T $230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Motherboard:
Maximus V gene mATX $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131830

GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 670 Twin Frozr IV $409.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127685

CPU Cooler:
Havik 140 $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146011

SSD:
Crucial 128 GB m4 $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

Hard Drive:
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

Sound Card:
Xonar DG $25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020

Blu Ray:
LG Black 12X Internal $55

Case:
Corsair Carbide Series 400R $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008&Tpk=Corsair Carbide Series 400R

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233146 $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231558 $75

Power Supply:
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 1000w
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171056

Thanks in advance for any input.

CatPee

Hey PC-GAF, a friend of mine got all the parts for his PC picked out, and am checking in here to make sure everything is looking good. Any suggestions for better options are welcome. Was a little unsure of the PSU, so went overkill there just to be safe.

Gigabyte's 670 is $50 cheaper at $360.
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is $70.
8GB of RAM is more than enough unless he does heavy multimedia work.
Sound card isn't necessary unless he's an audiophile.
PSU is waaaaayyyyy overkill. A quality 650W will be more than enough. If he wants to SLI later, then a good 750W or 850W will do.

Astra

Gigabyte's 670 is $50 cheaper at $360.
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is $70.
8GB of RAM is more than enough unless he does heavy multimedia work.
Sound card isn't necessary unless he's an audiophile.
PSU is waaaaayyyyy overkill. A quality 650W will be more than enough. If he wants to SLI later, then a good 750W or 850W will do.

Thanks for the quick response, I'll pass the info along.

Smokey

I have the Seasonic Platinum 1000w, and I don't have coil whine at all. I've had the unit for months. Didn't know it was more common on 1000w models. Guess I got lucky.

congrats on the water rig scogoth. i'll join once i leave this 500r case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom