• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
NewEgg has to have the worse return policy. I don't care if they have a super sale, I am never ordering from them again. You have to pay a restocking fee and the shipping? Fuck that. Amazon prime for everything i'm ordering.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
SmC7h.jpg
I'll have to remember to plug it in when I'm done, too.

mkenyon

Banned
Looking for a case. Considering the Tauron (http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/2117) but i didn't find any reviews for it. Are there other suggestions for whereabouts of that price?
Best cases $150 and under:

CM 690II USB 3.0 version
Fractal Define R4
Fractal Arc Midi
Lian Li PC-7HX
Bitfenix Shinobi XL
Bitfenix Ghost
Corsair 500R
Corsair C70
NZXT Switch 810 (often on sale for $130-150)
HAF XM
Silverstone TJ04

In order of my recommendations, I'd say R4, 7HX, Arc Midi, Switch 810, 690II, and Shinobi XL. HAF XM is a great case but can't stand the appearance.
I currently have a 2600k and have exhausted my need for HT after converting my entire DVD/BD collection to digital. I see that I can pretty much trade straight up for a 3570k. Would it be worth it for future gaming, or should I just stick with the 2600k and have the benefit of being able to turn on HT when necessary?
Only if you forsee yourself using a really high end card that will be bottlenecked by PCI-E 2.0 (GTX 690, maybe the 780, maybe the 8970/8950). Otherwise stick with the 2600K. You can clock it higher too.

CatPee

I currently have a 2600k and have exhausted my need for HT after converting my entire DVD/BD collection to digital. I see that I can pretty much trade straight up for a 3570k. Would it be worth it for future gaming, or should I just stick with the 2600k and have the benefit of being able to turn on HT when necessary?

Keep it. You'll only get a ~5% boost per clock in performance, which is negligible and hardly necessary considering SB's architecture is still quite excellent. Having hyperthreading will be quite useful once UE4 comes out and devs start taking advantage of it for games.

mkenyon

Banned
If you push the 2600K to the 4.8 range, you can easily outperform even 3770Ks. Should be easy as pie to get it there assuming a decent motherboard and a mid-high end cooler.

Damian.

Banned
Yeah, I have hit a ceiling at 4.6 w/ HT and 4.7 without HT. That is with voltage at 1.375, I can get to 4.8 w/ HT if I set 1.4v but my Hyper 212 allows the chip to creep into the mid 80's. I like to keep it strictly below 80 at all times. Sounds like I will keep it, thanks for the replies.

Saty

CM 690II USB 3.0 version
Fractal Define R4
Fractal Arc Midi
Lian Li PC-7HX
Bitfenix Shinobi XL
Bitfenix Ghost
Corsair 500R
Corsair C70
HAF XM
Silverstone TJ04

In order of my recommendations, I'd say R4, 7HX, Arc Midi, Switch 810, 690II, and Shinobi XL. HAF XM is a great case but can't stand the appearance.
Thanks. What would you recommend if i were to prioritize cooling? Also, what does it mean exactly when a fan is described as optional? I have to specify to include it when i buy the case? The fan isn't installed but comes in the box?

CM 690II USB 3.0 version
Fractal Define R4
Fractal Arc Midi
Lian Li PC-7HX
Bitfenix Shinobi XL
Bitfenix Ghost
Corsair 500R
Corsair C70
HAF XM
Silverstone TJ04

Only if you forsee yourself using a really high end card that will be bottlenecked by PCI-E 2.0 (GTX 690, maybe the 780, maybe the 8970/8950). Otherwise stick with the 2600K. You can clock it higher too.

690II representing :D

Thanks for the advice at the time plus it was coupled with a sale on newegg.

Also, what does it mean exactly when a fan is described as optional? I have to specify to include it when i buy the case? The fan isn't installed but comes in the box?

it means you can add a fan there if you want to but you have to buy it separately. You can even replace existing fans with your own too.

mkenyon

Banned
Means that you can put a fan there, but there isn't one included with a case. This is how companies do it now, as most enthusiasts like to either buy their own fans or setup a specific airflow system suited to their parts.

Prioritizing cooling isn't as important as it once was due to parts using a lot less power. All of these cases could easily cool dual 680s and an OC'd 3570K no problem. Running a 7970 DCII (which dumps a ton of heat into the case) and a 2500K @ 4.5Ghz in the Define R4, which is the most restrictive case out of these. Temps are great, and it's dead silent.

Theoretically, the Shinobi XL, Switch 810, Arc Midi, 500R, and HAF XM have the most in terms of cooling potential, but that's not out of the box.

mkenyon

Banned
Win 7 until everyone says the coast is clear. When Win 7 was about to come out, everyone went gaga over the beta. So much hype.

Win 8, not so much. Unless there is some specific awesome reason to upgrade to 8, 7 isn't holding anyone back. It's designed from the ground up to be a multitasking workstation kick ass operating system, and it is. The best I've ever used.

ithorien

oh dude I dont know why I didnt respond to that PM, I saw it and totally forgot

I actually dont remember :| Im gonna try and find out and i'll get back to ya

I KNOW HERESY RIGHT.

You can sorta figure it out if you go to personalize and then take a look at the styles you have, just see the names. Usually the ones that stand out are the ones you have 3rd party installed.

DJ_Lae

So in order to use up some of my personal spending account credits before they disappear December 31st, I ordered myself a Corsair 600T case (the white edition). Now I'm all set for January 1st, my influx of new spending credits, and a new PC. My current four year old $500 experiment is really showing its age.

I've basically got it narrowed down to an i5-3570K, 8GB of some sort of memory, maybe a Gigabyte board (they've been good to me in the past), and I'm moving over the SSD and one storage drive from my current computer.

Video card is the only thing I really need to decide on. What would pair well with a 3570K? I don't know if I'd want to dump more than $200 on it, though I guess I have a bit of an advantage in that I can wait for boxing week sales at the end of the year.

mkenyon

Banned
Spend what you can on videocards. Going below $200 has diminishing returns. Though people can be uncomfortable going this route, I really suggest buying used when you're on a budget like that. You can find some pretty nice cards in the $150-250 range used, like GTX 580s, 7950s, 6970s, etc. GAF's B/S/T thread, HardOCP, and Overclock.net are all pretty good. Overclock.net probably has the most asshole proof system, as you can't even sell things unless you're an established community member for a long while.

Smokey

I'm still sitting on my 2600K @ 4.6 running at a smooth 1.27v. Been running smooth for months...no BSOD no probs.

Sure I could probably hit 5ghz on this chip.

kharma45

So in order to use up some of my personal spending account credits before they disappear December 31st, I ordered myself a Corsair 600T case (the white edition). Now I'm all set for January 1st, my influx of new spending credits, and a new PC. My current four year old $500 experiment is really showing its age.

I've basically got it narrowed down to an i5-3570K, 8GB of some sort of memory, maybe a Gigabyte board (they've been good to me in the past), and I'm moving over the SSD and one storage drive from my current computer.

Video card is the only thing I really need to decide on. What would pair well with a 3570K? I don't know if I'd want to dump more than $200 on it, though I guess I have a bit of an advantage in that I can wait for boxing week sales at the end of the year.

7850 would probably be the best for that range unless you went used, Newegg have this within budget as well as a few others

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102999&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

Or on Amazon these are $200 and $205 respectively

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PJTNYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MLSGHE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've got the MSI one myself.

Hey PCGAF, I have some extra dollars in my pocket and I'm wondering if I should put it towards upgrading my rig in some fashion.

I currently have

CPU: i5 2500k / Big Shuriken
GPU: nVidia GTX 470 / reference blower(EVGA)
RAM: 8GB(2x4) Corsair low-profile (1600)
Mobo: Maximus Gene IV mATX
Storage: C4 128GB SSD, 800GB brand-I-can't-recall for other stuff
Case: Silverstone GD-05B / brand-I-can't-recall Fan controller(expansion slot)
PSU: Corsair 650W (modular)
Monitors: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM / Older 4:3 AR Dell monitor

I'd like to do something with either the case or GPU... maybe both. I really like my case, but the blower-style-cooler-or-bust restriction on the GPU kinda puts a dampener on my upgrade prospects. The 470 is passable for what I'm doing right now, but it generates a lot of heat that I don't feel is distributed out properly relative to the rest of the case's otherwise excellent airflow.

Any thoughts?

DJ_Lae

7850 would probably be the best for that range unless you went used, Newegg have this within budget as well as a few others

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102999&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

Or on Amazon these are $200 and $205 respectively

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PJTNYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MLSGHE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've got the MSI one myself.

That seems like a good compromise in terms of price/performance. A number of 7850s are on sale up here too on NCIX.

t-ramp

Hey PCGAF, I have some extra dollars in my pocket and I'm wondering if I should put it towards upgrading my rig in some fashion.

I currently have

CPU: i5 2500k / Big Shuriken
GPU: nVidia GTX 470 / reference blower(EVGA)
RAM: 8GB(2x4) Corsair low-profile (1600)
Mobo: Maximus Gene IV mATX
Storage: C4 128GB SSD, 800GB brand-I-can't-recall for other stuff
Case: Silverstone GD-05B / brand-I-can't-recall Fan controller(expansion slot)
PSU: Corsair 650W (modular)
Monitors: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM / Older 4:3 AR Dell monitor

I'd like to do something with either the case or GPU... maybe both. I really like my case, but the blower-style-cooler-or-bust restriction on the GPU kinda puts a dampener on my upgrade prospects. The 470 is passable for what I'm doing right now, but it generates a lot of heat that I don't feel is distributed out properly relative to the rest of the case's otherwise excellent airflow.

Any thoughts?
Not bad ideas. I was going to say that as long as you're doing alright performance-wise, trying to reduce noise would be my goal. There are a lot of good cases and video cards available, obviously, so you have a ton of options.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My motherboard came with four sata cables, 2 plain red ones and two fancier looking black an white ones. The b/w whites specifically are branded "6gbps" is there really a difference in the cables, do the red ones actually not support 6gbps?

Salsa

I'm still sitting on my 2600K @ 4.6 running at a smooth 1.27v. Been running smooth for months...no BSOD no probs.

Sure I could probably hit 5ghz on this chip.

wish I could manually set vcore on my mobo. I feel silly doing 4.3ghz a 1.35-1.4v

I originally went with a HTPC case because I wanted something with a portable form-factor(as it turns out it fits exactly in my travel suitcase), and because the combination of having a wiring challenge and having a machine that was as powerful as any other standard offering in an efficiently-designed, smaller case was really attractive.

HTPC form factor doesn't matter as much to me now, but if I changed my case I would want something that wouldn't lose out in build quality.

t-ramp

My motherboard came with four sata cables, 2 plain red ones and two fancier looking black an white ones. The b/w whites specifically are branded "6gbps" is there really a difference in the cables, do the red ones actually not support 6gbps?
They're the same.

mkenyon

Banned
I originally went with a HTPC case because I wanted something with a portable form-factor(as it turns out it fits exactly in my travel suitcase), and because the combination of having a wiring challenge and having a machine that was as powerful as any other standard offering in an efficiently-designed, smaller case was really attractive.

HTPC form factor doesn't matter as much to me now, but if I changed my case I would want something that wouldn't lose out in build quality.
Have a look at the Silverstone PS07, TJ08, SG09, FT03, Lian Li A04, V354, and V650.

krzy123

they probably match the color of your mobo ports, since those might be either 6gbps or 3.

kennah

I'm going to be in the market for a Socket 1155 CPU in the coming months. Canada preferred, but I'm open to ideas. Doesn't necessarily have to be a 2500k or whatever, even an i3 would be faster than my Q6600 I think. Let me know!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm going to be in the market for a Socket 1155 CPU in the coming months. Canada preferred, but I'm open to ideas. Doesn't necessarily have to be a 2500k or whatever, even an i3 would be faster than my Q6600 I think. Let me know!
Hit up anandtech and [H] and OCN for classifieds.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Win 7 until everyone says the coast is clear. When Win 7 was about to come out, everyone went gaga over the beta. So much hype.

Win 8, not so much. Unless there is some specific awesome reason to upgrade to 8, 7 isn't holding anyone back. It's designed from the ground up to be a multitasking workstation kick ass operating system, and it is. The best I've ever used.

Will Win 7 still be available for purchase after Win 8 comes out?

mkenyon

Banned
Quick question how many cores does an intel I3 processor have? And does it hold up against an I5?
Two, with hyperthreading it has 4 threads. Depends on the i5. In terms of gaming performance, the only thing that matters right now in CPU bound games is clock speed. It will generally go up in a linear fashion compared to the clock speed of the processor, whether it is an i5 or i3.
Will Win 7 still be available for purchase after Win 8 comes out?
I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Two, with hyperthreading it has 4 threads. Depends on the i5. In terms of gaming performance, the only thing that matters right now in CPU bound games is clock speed. It will generally go up in a linear fashion compared to the clock speed of the processor, whether it is an i5 or i3.

Hmmmm how would an I3 clocked at 3.3 Ghz fair with modern games then? Also, I know you cant tell me the future, but what are people thinking will be in the next gen consoles, processor wise? If Im going to spend money on a new desktop I want to make sure its future proofed

First time builder here; Instaling my CPU. The arm isn't going down. Like it's too tight or something. But the CPU is right on the notches. What gives GAF?

CatPee

First time builder here; Instaling my CPU. The arm isn't going down. Like it's too tight or something. But the CPU is right on the notches. What gives GAF?

The arm requires an enormous amount of force and there will likely be a very loud noise once you manage to secure it. That's normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom