• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ombz

Corsair 500R and C70 on sale at the Egg for $80 and you get a free AF120. Damn good deal on two great cases.

I love my 500R. I recently broke the front usb ports (I'm stupid) but I just emailed Corsair and there sending out a replacement part for free.

krae_man

Quick question PC Gaf. I have the standard build and just bought a new monitor. Is it capable of dual screening? I wouldn't be using it for gaming. Video on one monitor, gaf on the other.

Ridli

1) The corsair closed loop solutions should generally not be regarded as water cooling. I mean, it is technically, but it performs on par or worse than similarly priced air coolers. The reason why they are suggested with SFF builds is because you don't have to worry about fitment issues (just the block/pump on the board) and they are relatively compact. There is no maintenance with them, and if it leaks and hurts things (extremely rare), Corsair will pay for a whole new machine.

2) They are about the same. The 78xx will be a better performer down the road compared to the 660Ti though.

3) If silence is a big part of what you want, I'd really suggest the Prodigy as you can fit a number of low speed 120mm fans to keep it cool and quiet.

Thanks for the clarification, I do appreciate it.

So if I were to try and drawn an analogy in my head, those Corsair units are kind of an extension of heat-pipe systems? Basically something sealed and not user-serviceable. I do like the compact nature though. I always hated having a gigantic heatsink/fan tower hanging off, or I guess in this case on top of, the mobo.

I think I'm gonna spend the day pricing and looking at my credit card, back at newegg, then back at the card.

kharma45

Quick question PC Gaf. I have the standard build and just bought a new monitor. Is it capable of dual screening? I wouldn't be using it for gaming. Video on one monitor, gaf on the other.

Can't think of any reason why you shouldn't be able to no matter what your GPU is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Check out the BitFenix Merc Alpha, Outlaw, Diablotek Evo, and NZXT Source 210 Elite. Those pretty much outshine everything in the sub-$70 category, and even cases in the $100-200 range.

I am liking the Outlaw.

I just ordered a 7950 here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082D58PE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Its what you recommended I think, a Sapphire, dual cooler, but non toxic.

Ill see if it fits in my current case, if not, I'll order one of those too.

kharma45

I am liking the Outlaw.

For the price you won't go far wrong, the ones I'd tend to stick with are MSI and Gigabyte but they're another $70 or so and aren't worth that premium imo. Had two Sapphire cards myself and they've been good.

I'm going to leave this here.

6789533608_9445163833_o.jpg

man thats a looker, what am i looking at exactly (specs)

edit: thank you google image search http://www.realredraider.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55264

FinKL

I am liking the Outlaw.

Amazon isn't on the list of retailers that will give the Never Settle Game Bundle, in case someone was thinking about getting this and expecting it. Cheapest I've seen a 7950

krae_man

Can't think of any reason why you shouldn't be able to no matter what your GPU is.

Got it working. Thanks!

jc3I7.jpg

Edit: I'm assuming if I wanted to use two screens for gaming screens with the same size and resolution would be ideal? I could see tons of complications in my case with one being 20" and the other being 23" and on top of that one monitor is 16:9 and the other is 16:10.

mkenyon

Banned
If you game on two monitors, you would have a line right down the middle. You also need a beefy video card setup.
Yep, same thing. Corsair allows purchasing of single braided cables though, which is why I have been going AX as of late. Always Seasonic before though.

If you game on two monitors, you would have a line right down the middle. You also need a beefy video card setup.

Yep, same thing. Corsair allows purchasing of single braided cables though, which is why I have been going AX as of late. Always Seasonic before though.

Okay, thanks. Do you have a link for the cables?

Celcius

°Temp. member
hmm...I see that the Corsair 500r can fit the nh-d14 + a fan on the side. Looking at the low price, I'm kinda concerned about the build quality though. Is the build quality much different from the 650D, 550D, or a Haf X?

ledman

Anyone know about the recent EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB driver issues?
Artifacts all over the place and constant driver crashes when I play any game.
My specs:
MOBO: Gigabyte H61M-DS2 rev1.0
PSU: Antec 520W HCG
CPU: I5 3570K
Memory : Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1-4GB

I already changed the drivers, updated the card Bios, changed the voltage, downclock, and the temperatures are not high.
I really close to give up and start the RMA process.

DTKT

My specs:

I already changed the drivers, updated the card Bios, changed the voltage, downclock, and the temperatures are not high.

I have the same model and I have zero issues with the 306.97 drivers.

Salacious Crumb

My specs:

I have the same card and I'm experiencing nothing like that on the 310.33 beta driver.

ledman

I have the same model and I have zero issues with the 306.97 drivers.

I have the same card and I'm experiencing nothing like that on the 310.33 beta driver.

I tested 3 different drivers including 310.33, I really doubt the driver itself is the issue.
The thing about the driver is that he stops responding for a few seconds before the Windows recovers it.
The reason why that happens can be something else.

RedSwirl

I have done it in the past, but don't twitch game. USB allows a maximum cable length of 16 feet in between hubs. If you get a keyboard that has a USB hub built in you can plug the mouse into that. If you're really intense about it, you could run a cable along the wall and under your couch, so the cable just comes up from underneath your couch. If you need to go longer than 16 ft, any POWERED usb hub will function as a repeater.

The only thing you'd need to really 'worry' about is not enough power being sent through the cable. You'd be able to power a keyboard and mouse over that distance with no problem, but I'd be wary of running something like a Hard Drive at that distance.

What specific questions did you have?

Just if it's viable. I was thinking of just getting a couple 12+' extension cables and putting them at the ends of the (probably) 6' cables for the keyboard and mouse with USB in the back of the tower.

As for a specific keyboard and mouse models, probably standard ones. I've been using a regular DELL SK-8115 for five years now and it's worked just fine. Even thought abut tracking down an oldschool IBM Model M for a minute.

Salsa

as mkenyon suggested I took my issues to overclock.net

only one guy so far tried to kinda help me out after 1 day, but i'll keep checking and updating that thread

still, figured might as well post what I just posted there over here just in case. Pictures of how I have everything set up for the turbo boost OC on BIOS, maybe someone can find something off, even though I already tried changing and playing around with pretty much everything:

mkenyon

Banned
as mkenyon suggested I took my issues to overclock.net

only one guy so far tried to kinda help me out after 1 day, but i'll keep checking and updating that thread

still, figured might as well post what I just posted there over here just in case. Pictures of how I have everything set up for the turbo boost OC on BIOS, maybe someone can find something off, even though I already tried changing and playing around with pretty much everything:
Try xtremesystems.org as well. People there are pretty cool/knowledgeable.
So what's the difference between a NXZT Source 210 vs Elite cases? Is it just the USB 3.0 up front?
Fans IIRC.
Just if it's viable. I was thinking of just getting a couple 12+' extension cables and putting them at the ends of the (probably) 6' cables for the keyboard and mouse with USB in the back of the tower.

As for a specific keyboard and mouse models, probably standard ones. I've been using a regular DELL SK-8115 for five years now and it's worked just fine. Even thought abut tracking down an oldschool IBM Model M for a minute.
Unless you play comp, you could probably rock a wireless mouse. Lots of people do and swear by it.

Salsa

do I send you what to post? not sure if I got what you mean

btw.. is there any game out there that is gonna take your CPU load even near prime95 blend levels? I dont mean to give up but im stressed out trying to fix it. Wanna know if it's safe to still run a 4.5ghz OC knowing it wont drop, considering the most ive seen a game use CPU load was always no more than 60%..

I mean it's a fucking annoying issue of course, but im not sure if it'll affect me much by just playing games as opposed to using my PC just for stress tests and whatnot. This people clearly have a goal to see how far their PCs can go, I just wanna have a stable OC that lets me play games at max settings

I mean im running Crysis 2 in the background right now just to test, and CPU load is at about 50%, but I assume it is still taking advantage of the 4.5ghz of speed, right?

mkenyon

Banned
Nope. Only thing that will come close is encoding/rendering. Maybe Civ V between turns.

I mean, the straight code of the post so I can just copy pasta instead of typing out

Celcius

°Temp. member
SalsaShark,

I believe your mobo has a feature where you can take a print screen while in the bios and automatically save to usb instead of having to use a camera (press F12 and the usb drive must be formatted using FAT32). It would be easier and make the screens more readable. :)
After glancing over your screens, I wanted to ask - have you tried:

1. OCing your cpu manually instead of using offset and disabling turbo mode
2. Setting your memory freq/timings manually instead of using auto?
3. Did you also try setting cpu current capability to 140% and VRM fixed frequency mode to 350?
I've got an asus p8z68v-pro gen3 mobo, but judging by the look of your bios I assume you're using a z68/z77 variant of the asus mobos.

If those don't work, feel free to try my old settings (though my cpu now needs 1.32v for 4.5ghz):
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/111213123538.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/111213123524.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/111213123511.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/111213123456.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/111213123433.jpg

edit: hmm, I'm still having a hard time deciding on a case. I can't order a 500r knowing how much I liked the layout and aluminum body of my old FT02 (and especially after seeing the water-cooled ft02 posted in the thread lol). Then looking at their website, the similarly gorgeous TJ11 also uses the 90 degree layout.

Salsa

SalsaShark,

I believe your mobo has a feature where you can take a print screen while in the bios and automatically save to usb instead of having to use a camera (press F12 and the usb drive must be formatted using FAT32). It would be easier and make the screens more readable. :)
After glancing over your screens, I wanted to ask - have you tried:

1. OCing your cpu manually instead of using offset and disabling turbo mode
2. Setting your memory freq/timings manually instead of using auto?
3. Did you also try setting cpu current capability to 140% and VRM fixed frequency mode to 350?
I've got an asus p8z68v-pro gen3 mobo, but judging by the look of your bios I assume you're using a z68/z77 variant of the asus mobos.

If those don't work, feel free to try my old settings (though my cpu (sandy bridge) now needs 1.32v for 4.5ghz):
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/111213123538.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/111213123524.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/111213123511.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/111213123456.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/111213123433.jpg

im using the LE version of the p8p67, wich rules out the first option since I cant manually set Vcore and stuff like that, so I went with OCing the turbo boost

what options from those listed in my screens are the ones I'd have to change to achieve what you describe in your other points? and in that case what would be good values? thanks for the help!

this is the first time I tried pushing hardware in basically.. 6 years

Celcius

°Temp. member
hmm, since you're on the LE and need to use turbo mode, at a quick glance the only other interesting option I see is "primary plane current limit", which you have set to auto. I found this doing a quick search:

"Long Duration Power Limit: Max
Long Duration Maintained: Auto
Short Duration Power Limit: Max
Primary Plane Current Limit: Max
Secondary Plane Current Limit: Max
~To get "Max", type in 10000 and press Enter.
~These are simply power limits. They are only used to stop the CPU from using a certain amount of watts/amps.
~But since we are overclocking, we don't care for limits and should set them to max.
~It will not hurt the CPU at all (it won't suddenly use 1000 amps and blow up). Its not what it will use, just a limit of what it can use.
~This won't allow the CPU to user more than is should either. These are NOT safety limits."

This was for an asrock mobo, but the same principle applies. I would try changing the value to something like 500 and seeing if the issue continues.

edit: I have it set to auto in my screenshots above because I have turbo mode disabled so it doesn't affect my machine. If you have to use turbo mode, then you may want to try changing these to 500.

Salsa

hmm, since you're on the LE and need to use turbo mode, at a quick glance the only other interesting option I see is "primary plane current limit", which you have set to auto. I found this doing a quick search:

"Long Duration Power Limit: Max
Long Duration Maintained: Auto
Short Duration Power Limit: Max
Primary Plane Current Limit: Max
Secondary Plane Current Limit: Max
~To get "Max", type in 10000 and press Enter.
~These are simply power limits. They are only used to stop the CPU from using a certain amount of watts/amps.
~But since we are overclocking, we don't care for limits and should set them to max.
~It will not hurt the CPU at all (it won't suddenly use 1000 amps and blow up). Its not what it will use, just a limit of what it can use.
~This won't allow the CPU to user more than is should either. These are NOT safety limits."

This was for an asrock mobo, but the same principle applies. I would try changing the value to something like 500 and seeing if the issue continues.

I tried with

short: 230
long: 230
primary: 500
dont seem to have a secondary plane option

a while ago and problem persisted. Guess i'll try going higher, but I doubt it was reaching those limits

Salsa

also I just got this response in overclock.net

It could be the voltage regulator on your motherboard is overheating. When it overheats, power to your CPU is reduced so the CPU throttles back the turbo boost. Cheaper motherboards are cheap for a reason. They use smaller heatsinks on some of the critical components. Open your case and point a fan directly at the VRM and you might fix the problem. Grab on to a heatsink when stress testing and you might be in for a surprise.

that seems plausible I guess? although mobo temps seem to be fine during the blend test

not sure if it would explain how instead of throtling it down, it throtles it off. It's not like it goes from 4.4 to 3.9 or something, it goes back to base 3.3 clock

I'm one who likes to not spend money. So basically forced myself to build my PC.

It's been 6 days since it's been built and I must say that this is one of the best purchasing decisions of my life. Soooooo good.

All I have left to buy is a GPU. But I'm going to wait a bit on that since I already have a backlog of games. And my PC can run a majority of my games at high settings. So hopefully the card I want is a bit cheaper by the time I'm ready to buy. ^_^

Salsa

first thing to notice after starting a blend test with new BIOS update:

PC is louder, fans seem to be running faster, CPU is a bit colder

now let's see if it drops :(

scogoth

I just read this and got depressed

The new overclocking king of Haswell chipsets is simply called Z87 and is represents the top breed of Intel’s 8-series desktop chipsets. It can support either PCIe 1x16, 2x8 or 1x8+ 2x4, something that should satisfy most gamers.

Really hope its not true because even my x58 board from 2008 has more PCIe bandwidth.

for the inevitable "It's PCIe 3.0". Z87 16x 1GB/s = 16GB/s X58 36x 500MB/s = 18GB/s

Salsa

BYjE2.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it was doing so well :(

it took longer than before after the BIOS update, but now it's stuck at the "winding up, winding down" loop again :( :( :(

temps and load are much better and more stable (never a spike above 70°) until it reaches this point, but yeah.. didnt fix the problem

mkenyon

Banned
I just read this and got depressed

Really hope its not true because even my x58 board from 2008 has more PCIe bandwidth.

for the inevitable "It's PCIe 3.0". Z87 16x 1GB/s = 16GB/s X58 36x 500MB/s = 18GB/s
That is how it is now too. They use PLX chips to increase it.

Fear not. Or go 2011 like real men.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BYjE2.png

it took longer than before after the BIOS update, but now it's stuck at the "winding up, winding down" loop again :( :( :(

temps and load are much better and more stable (never a spike above 70°) until it reaches this point, but yeah.. didnt fix the problem
VRM over heating sounds possible. It's an LE and you are trying 4.4 on it. I tell people 4.2 - 4.3 for a reason. That said what voltage are you running idle/load, and have you tried running fixed voltage , but with speed step?

Also point a fan at your vrms ( small black boxes around the CPU )
I'm one who likes to not spend money. So basically forced myself to build my PC.

It's been 6 days since it's been built and I must say that this is one of the best purchasing decisions of my life. Soooooo good.
Yup!

scogoth

That is how it is now too. They use PLX chips to increase it.

Fear not. Or go 2011 like real men.

Yeah but I want to buy E class when its ahead of the curve not behind. Intel should skip ivy-e and go straight to haswell-e with soldered heat cap not tim

Salsa

VRM over heating sounds possible. It's an LE and you are trying 4.4 on it. I tell people 4.2 - 4.3 for a reason. That said what voltage are you running idle/load, and have you tried running fixed voltage , but with speed step?

vcore at idle is about 1.32

and yeah, im giving up and blaming it on the board being cheap, at least for now.

maybe i'll try a way to cool down those vrms

for now I think im just gonna use the OC (4.5ghz) and just dont run stress tests. I doubt it'll throttle down even during intense games (managed to get cpu usage to 80% on a game and it was fine). At least it's not like the blend tests are giving me freezes or BSOD. Should be stable enough.

RedSwirl

BYjE2.png

You're trying to overclock right?

I'm asking because I don't wanna end up with problems like this just from building a PC.

All I have left to buy is a GPU. But I'm going to wait a bit on that since I already have a backlog of games. And my PC can run a majority of my games at high settings. So hopefully the card I want is a bit cheaper by the time I'm ready to buy. ^_^

Lolololol, DBJ PC lolololol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom