• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess3ract

Banned
I helped my bro build a new pc with the help of this thread. We are now starting it up for the first time and getting the " no memory detected" beep code.He has an asus p8 z77v mother board and corsair xms3 ddr3 ram units. I am hoping its something stupid since we are both amateur pc builders. Any insight gaf?
Are they in the right slots?
Try only one of them?

I really want to take advantage of the $90 Crucial m4 128GB deal. How's the reliability? Reviews seem to suggest overwhelmingly positive reviews, or is it just the disappointed customers being loud?

Lkr

I helped my bro build a new pc with the help of this thread. We are now starting it up for the first time and getting the " no memory detected" beep code.He has an asus p8 z77v mother board and corsair xms3 ddr3 ram units. I am hoping its something stupid since we are both amateur pc builders. Any insight gaf?

are you sure the RAM is firmly in? sometimes you need to add pressure, make sure the levers are firmly back in place. try removing it and putting it back in, different slots, and only one stick as further troubleshooting

mkenyon

Banned
Reseat, try a single stick. Then just the other. Read the manual to see if it lists it as compatible.
I really want to take advantage of the $90 Crucial m4 128GB deal. How's the reliability? Reviews seem to suggest overwhelmingly positive reviews, or is it just the disappointed customers being loud?
Second only to the Samsung 830.

*edit for autocorrect

brogan

Neo Member
me said:
Does anyone have any experience with this card?

kfa2 geforce gtx 670 ex oc

Seems to have good reviews from what little there is on Google for it. Also, it's part of a pre built system @ overclockers UK so im not looking for suggestions for other 670 models. Is this card a good buy?

Thanks guys :)

Sorry to post again, but looking for a bit of advice.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
How is the 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K? Just picked up the last one at my local Staples for 53$ with tax.

It's on sale for 65$, and luckily on slickdeals, there is a coupon for 25% off any 1 item. Make sure to have them PM the online price, since in store it's a whopping 209$.

JayDub

1. If gaming on high at 1920x1200 (at most) or 1600x900, is a 7850 recommended? Any better alternatives?

2. I'd like to build an ITX build. The BF Prodigy seems to have some full size ATX PSU clearance issues (not sure about this)? Anyone recommend a good ITX case?

3. Is it possible to build a good ITX build for under $800?

4. Not looking to OC at all. Which CPU would you guys recommend? Intel preferred, though open to AMD.

5. If you could recommend a full build, I'd appreciate it. Need an OS, dont want an SSD, 500GB only. Have monitor, keyboard and mouse.

mkenyon

Banned
1. If gaming on high at 1920x1200 (at most) or 1600x900, is a 7850 recommended? Any better alternatives?

2. I'd like to build an ITX build. The BF Prodigy seems to have some full size ATX PSU clearance issues (not sure about this)? Anyone recommend a good ITX case?

4. Not looking to OC at all. Which CPU would you guys recommend? Intel preferred, though open to AMD.

5. If you could recommend a full build, I'd appreciate it. Need an OS, dont want an SSD, 500GB only. Have monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Check out the OP, small form factor guide. (On phone, PITA to hyperlink)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
For the past few days my GPU has been running pretty hot (51-degrees Celsius) when idling. Should be about 20-degrees cooler. It used to only be this hot when I played video games.

regs

So here's a quick question, need some advice:

I built my PC close to 2 years ago.

Core i7 940 overclocked to 3.6 ghz (1366)
EVGA X58 FTW3 Motherboard
3 x 2 GB OCZ RAM (triple channel kit)
Vertex 2 and 3 SSDs
Gigabyte GTX 670 (I changed my videocard this year)

So I've seen RAM prices come down considerably since I built this. Is it worth upgrading my 6 GB setup? Do games take advantage of having more than 6 GB?

Its also worth noting that since my motherboard uses a triple-channel setup then I'd have to purchase a quad-channel kit and keep one of the sticks as an extra.

Any ideas? Or possible suggestions even?

Ram is cheap, in my latest build I put 32gb of ram in my pc, in my Nintendo HTPC I am currently working on I put 16gb in it lol.

32gb is pretty much overkill but I don't have a swap file anymore and my windows 7 SCREAMS, I can have a virtual machine of xp running, firefox with 3 tabs open, chrome with a ton of tabs, photoshop, mirc and then run Day Z or GTA4 etc and my computer seriously could give any less of a shit. It's AWESOME.

tafer

For $150, there's the LG IPS235. Its IPS and is VESA compatible so you can put it into portrait mode for coding, if you have the relevant mounting hardware.

As for your SSD question, don't bother with PCIe SSDs. SATA based SSDs are already lighting quick and they're cheaper than PCIe SSDs. Why do you even want one?

Thanks for the info and for the PCIe SSDs, I was just curious.

Yes, ideally I'd like an HTPC case so I can put it into my TV stand. Do I need to worry about heat issue if I plan on having it in a stand like this, but with the side door constantly open?

If the door is open, then you shouldn't worry as you have pretty low powered parts. I'm not sure how big you need the chassis to be but something like the Antec NSK2480 has absolutely no problems with cooling and should be fairly quiet to boot.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm going to be getting into the PC gaming space finally. Originally, I wanted to buy a x51, since pc building can come off as intimating. But after seeing my friend build a great rig for $500+, I decided to go the same route.

My budget will be around $550-600. It will be using mostly for PC gaming, and done from my couch. I will be reading this thread, and asking loads of questions in the coming weeks.

If anyone has tips for someone new to the pc gaming/custom rig building, it would be much appreciated.

Salsa

is it normal for my CPU fan (hyper 212 evo) to wind up to this level with just 20+ percent usage?

aUR3t.png

I can hear them winding up for a second (the spikes shown there) even when im doing some stuff in chrome. I did overclocked it to 4.5ghz but I dont think the temps (going from 50somthing to 60 with that kind of usage) warrant something like this, and I dont think it was happening like 2 days ago either.. weird

DTKT

is it normal for my CPU fan (hyper 212 evo) to wind up to this level with just 20+ percent usage?

aUR3t.png

I can hear them winding up for a second (the spikes shown there) even when im doing some stuff in chrome. I did overclocked it to 4.5ghz but I dont think the temps (going from 50somthing to 60 with that kind of usage) warrant something like this, and I dont think it was happening like 2 days ago either.. weird

Chrome can hog some of the CPU depending on what you do. What program do you use to monitor the fan temps?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys, I've been shopping around for a new video card to replace my 6850 and I've had my eyes on a gigabyte 7950 but I notice its rarely recommended in this thread. Is that mainly because of pricing ( or cheaper pricing of similar cards) or for another aspect?
Where I live the 7950 is about $325 where there 670 goes for about $390-400. So it seems that the 7950 is the better deal and within my price range but I'm wondering if I'm seeing the whole picture.

Edit: hmm looking at the above post it seems the 7870 is a decent upgrade from the 6850 and that goes for about $250 here ( or a msi twin frozer for $235 is that any good?). Its tough because there always seems to be a new card around the corner which will either knock down the price of the current ones or slip in price wise. Maybe I'm better off waiting till I get back from China next February.
7950 is the best buy by far at that price.
Sorry to post again, but looking for a bit of advice.
It looks fine.
How is the 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K? Just picked up the last one at my local Staples for 53$ with tax.

It's on sale for 65$, and luckily on slickdeals, there is a coupon for 25% off any 1 item. Make sure to have them PM the online price, since in store it's a whopping 209$.
It's pretty much the same as every other SSD that is not an 830 or M4 or Intel. Seems ok.

7850 is solid. Under $800 is easy, check the SFF guide. 3570K with promo codes or discounts for $200 or less.
Whenever I look up motherboards on my current build on PCPP the featured choice always seems to be this one: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Only $145.

How good a fit would it be for these parts?

CPU: i5 3750
RAM: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DRR3-1600
GPU: Asus HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Antec Basiq Plus 550w ATX12V
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive
Seems ok, not a fan of GB's Z77 BIOS. You are getting a lot of good features that you probably don't need in comparison to a $100/$120 mobo in the OP.
I'm going to be getting into the PC gaming space finally. Originally, I wanted to buy a x51, since pc building can come off as intimating. But after seeing my friend build a great rig for $500+, I decided to go the same route.

My budget will be around $550-600. It will be using mostly for PC gaming, and done from my couch. I will be reading this thread, and asking loads of questions in the coming weeks.

If anyone has tips for someone new to the pc gaming/custom rig building, it would be much appreciated.
Standard build in the OP will do you just fine. Fill out the list in the OP as well and tack on any other questions or concerns you have.
Ram is cheap, in my latest build I put 32gb of ram in my pc, in my Nintendo HTPC I am currently working on I put 16gb in it lol.

32gb is pretty much overkill but I don't have a swap file anymore and my windows 7 SCREAMS, I can have a virtual machine of xp running, firefox with 3 tabs open, chrome with a ton of tabs, photoshop, mirc and then run Day Z or GTA4 etc and my computer seriously could give any less of a shit. It's AWESOME.
Yeah lots of RAM is nice. I've only once run into possibly using more than 8GB though and that had to do with running a VM and 2 instances of a Game

Salsa

Chrome can hog some of the CPU depending on what you do. What program do you use to monitor the fan temps?

argus monitor

and yeah chrome can hog some of it but im pretty sure the fan didnt wind up this much before

it happens with random stuff too. When I launch a game with a launcher or splash image, the fans wind up the same way for like a second or two when the launcher comes into screen

it doesnt necesarelly worry me since the 212 is doing its job, but its weird, it's like im just using the PC regularly and suddenly hear brrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrr... while doing random shit and then goes back to normal

Need some help. My power went out a bit ago and my computer was on so it got shut off. It seemed slow so i tried to restart it and its been logging me out for ~20 minutes. Should i wait it out or what?

Thanks in advance.

Windam

Scaley member
Sweet, my SSD has shipped! Anything special I should know regarding it? I think I read an article online that said I shouldn't defragment it; is that true? Also, when installing it, should I unplug the HDD to fresh install Windows, then plug it back in to wipe it after Windows is on the SSD?

Artanisix

Looking to upgrade my PC so that I can run Planetside 2 more comfortably at 1080p.

Would it be smarter to upgrade my GTX 460 or my Athlon IIx4? Or should I just go balls to the walls and upgrade both due to bottlenecks of some sort?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
argus monitor

and yeah chrome can hog some of it but im pretty sure the fan didnt wind up this much before

it happens with random stuff too. When I launch a game with a launcher or splash image, the fans wind up the same way for like a second or two when the launcher comes into screen

it doesnt necesarelly worry me since the 212 is doing its job, but its weird, it's like im just using the PC regularly and suddenly hear brrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrr... while doing random shit and then goes back to normal
Sounds like funky temp readings and fan profile. Have anything in your mobo that is like 'quiet, fast, normal' for fan control? You can just use speedfan or a mobo utility for CPU fan control if it bugs you.
Need some help. My power went out a bit ago and my computer was on so it got shut off. It seemed slow so i tried to restart it and its been logging me out for ~20 minutes. Should i wait it out or what?

Thanks in advance.
That's not good.
Run memtest 86+ on your RAM, HDD diagnostic / SMART test on your HDD. Might need to get a new PSU/mobo if it's really bad.

What PSU do you have?
Sweet, my SSD has shipped! Anything special I should know regarding it? I think I read an article online that said I shouldn't defragment it; is that true? Also, when installing it, should I unplug the HDD to fresh install Windows, then plug it back in to wipe it after Windows is on the SSD?
There's some info in the second post which I think is fairly up to date (and correct).
You don't want to defrag SSDs. Yes, have only the SSD in for the install.
You shouldn't need to wipe the HDD, but make sure the SSD has boot priority.
Looking to upgrade my PC so that I can run Planetside 2 more comfortably at 1080p.

Would it be smarter to upgrade my GTX 460 or my Athlon IIx4? Or should I just go balls to the walls and upgrade both due to bottlenecks of some sort?
You want to upgrade both. It seems (from skimming) that PS2 is not optimized well and an Athlon is not going to help at all in that regard.

Overclock both of them in the mean time.

xJavonta

Banned

Both but if you have to chose one first go with the CPU.

Windam

Scaley member
There's some info in the second post which I think is fairly up to date (and correct).
You don't want to defrag SSDs. Yes, have only the SSD in for the install.
You shouldn't need to wipe the HDD, but make sure the SSD has boot priority.

Thanks! And I wanna wipe/re-partition the HDD just to get rid of all the junk and crap I don't really that's on it.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Go into a local electronics store and take a close look at the 27" 1080P monitors. They look a little funky, IMO. I think 23-24" is the right size for them.

If you want a giant monitor, check out the Crossover 27Q. 1440p IPS screen that is quite nice. If you want to really step into next gen, take a look at the 24" 120hz offerings. The Samsung S23A700D is on sale for $250 this week.

Tell me where I can get one for that price, I've looked.

7950 is the best buy by far at that price.
thanks for the advice, it's really hard to tell the difference in these cards by the performance listed on sites, 7950@$325 vs the 7870@$235 and the 7950 wins? That's a bummer cause the local store is out of stock at the moment and it might be a couple weeks wait, hehe.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm thinking of upgrading my HD 5870 1GB to an HD 7970 3GB sometime between now and the end of the year. Does anyone have a recommended brand or specific card? Preferably something that comes in under or around $400 on Amazon or Newegg (US).

Alternatively, does it look like there's anything coming out in the first few months of next year that will outperform the 7970 for cheaper?

Thanks!

Wait. HD 8000 series are going to be a big jump in the leaks are true, and that's just a few months away. 4 TF for a single 8870. Gawd damn. That suggests 5-5.5 TF for 8970.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tell me where I can get one for that price, I've looked.
The Samsung website said it would be selling for $250, but it seems only some retailers are doing $280.
Still a great buy if you don't have the 'not optimized' issue. (I have it and it's annoying, but doesn't happen in use, just on refreshing connection sometimes).
thanks for the advice, it's really hard to tell the difference in these cards by the performance listed on sites, 7950@$325 vs the 7870@$235 and the 7950 wins? That's a bummer cause the local store is out of stock at the moment and it might be a couple weeks wait, hehe.
The 7850 (And lesser so the 7870) and 7950 (and 7970 to a lesser extent) are all the best purchases in their price brackets. Decide how much performance you need at a price point and get that card.

Exuro

The Samsung website said it would be selling for $250, but it seems only some retailers are doing $280.
Still a great buy if you don't have the 'not optimized' issue. (I have it and it's annoying, but doesn't happen in use, just on refreshing connection sometimes).
Do the included glasses only work with AMD?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wait. HD 8000 series are going to be a big jump in the leaks are true, and that's just a few months away. 4 TF for a single 8870. Gawd damn. That suggests 5-5.5 TF for 8970.
While those numbers are fantastically amazing, the source leads to a post on 2ch.
http://anago.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/jisaku/1347605134/

So I'm very very dubious, especially at January 2013, more like March for both companies I feel (Have not checked recently).
Do the included glasses only work with AMD?
The 750D uses a 3rd party application. I believe it works with both, but remember you can only get 120Hz out of the DisplayPort on it so make sure your card has that.
I haven't tried the 3D or really care. 120Hz too good.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Standard build in the OP will do you just fine. Fill out the list in the OP as well and tack on any other questions or concerns you have.

Here it goes:

Your Current Specs: Starting from scratch.
Budget: US here. $500-600. Maybe a little more if it worth it.
Main Use: Number one thing would be Gaming(5). I'm going to back to school come next year(feb), and it would be used for progamming as well. Doesn't have to be build for that right now, but something that would set me on path for it two years from now would be helpful.
Monitor Resolution: 720p. It will be connected to my plasma tv.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Battlefield 3. I would love to play it at 60fps.
Looking to reuse any parts?: doesnt matter.
When will you build?: I have around $350 right now. Planning on putting it together in a months time.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not since I have never done it before.

Any help would be great.

The 7850 (And lesser so the 7870) and 7950 (and 7970 to a lesser extent) are all the best purchases in their price brackets. Decide how much performance you need at a price point and get that card.

True, when I say 'best' its absolutely relative. In my case the difference between the 7850 and 7870 is $10 which is the price of a cheap feed at a takeaway. However I need to ask myself whether I want the slight improvement of the 7950 over the 7870, which at my resolution (1080p) and according to anandtech the difference is only a few frames for about $100 more so it's got me thinking over it.

It's nice to have advice and experiences of other users when getting parts, although anecdotal, it can help guide you towards the most suitable solution. Now to convince the wife it's a worthy 'investment'.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Here it goes:

Your Current Specs: Starting from scratch.
Budget: US here. $500-600. Maybe a little more if it worth it.
Main Use: Number one thing would be Gaming(5). I'm going to back to school come next year(feb), and it would be used for progamming as well. Doesn't have to be build for that right now, but something that would set me on path for it two years from now would be helpful.
Monitor Resolution: 720p. It will be connected to my plasma tv.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Battlefield 3. I would love to play it at 60fps.
Looking to reuse any parts?: doesnt matter.
When will you build?: I have around $350 right now. Planning on putting it together in a months time.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not since I have never done it before.

Any help would be great.
Keep an eye out for any well rated Z77 motherboard on newegg going for under $100, any deals on 2500K / i5 3570K / i5 3450 / 8GB of DDR3 1.5V RAM / PSU / Cases. Basically anything in the Enhanced or Standard build that goes on sale. Good upgrades to make the computer last longer are a quad core CPU and a Z77 motherboard. Add in a solid 500W+ PSU and you should be set for a long time in upgrades.

If the item is well rated on BF/Cyber Monday and less than those components you should be jumping on it. Great time to make that $350 worth $500.
True, when I say 'best' its absolutely relative. In my case the difference between the 7850 and 7870 is $10 which is the price of a cheap feed at a takeaway. However I need to ask myself whether I want the slight improvement of the 7950 over the 7870, which at my resolution (1080p) and according to anandtech the difference is only a few frames for about $100 more so it's got me thinking over it.

It's nice to have advice and experiences of other users when getting parts, although anecdotal, it can help guide you towards the most suitable solution. Now to convince the wife it's a worthy 'investment'.
7870 for sure then, save the $100 for next series of cards.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Keep an eye out for any well rated Z77 motherboard on newegg going for under $100, any deals on 2500K / i5 3570K / i5 3450 / 8GB of DDR3 1.5V RAM / PSU / Cases. Basically anything in the Enhanced or Standard build that goes on sale. Good upgrades to make the computer last longer are a quad core CPU and a Z77 motherboard. Add in a solid 500W+ PSU and you should be set for a long time in upgrades.

If the item is well rated on BF/Cyber Monday and less than those components you should be jumping on it. Great time to make that $350 worth $500.

Thank you. Definitely keeping my eyes open on BF/CM. Main reason I have decided to build it rather than to buy it pre-build.

Edit-In terms of importance, what should I be getting first, and what should I worry about getting later? I won't have my full budget until 2 weeks from now.

The 750D uses a 3rd party application. I believe it works with both, but remember you can only get 120Hz out of the DisplayPort on it so make sure your card has that.
I haven't tried the 3D or really care. 120Hz too good.

Frame sequential only works with AMD so you have to use side by side to get 3D working on NV cards. This means you're losing half your resolution which is obviously a pretty bad thing.

Speaking of 120hz monitors, if someone wants to try their luck with refurbished monitors, there's an Asus VG236HE on sale for $220. Its not all that different from the Samsung 120hz monitors except it comes with height adjustment, all the inputs you could want, and lower input lag.

Any suggestions for where to buy a full (e.g., non-upgrade) version of Windows 8? The cheapest I can find it for is on Amazon for $85.00. My university doesn't have the full version for sale, but I can get the upgrade version completely free... which is no help to me, since I am building a new PC and don't have any OS on there yet. I do have my Windows 7 discs handy, but that key is tied up to my current PC that I won't be scrapping, so that probably is no help.

Basically, is there anywhere to get a full version of Windows 8 for less than $85 within the next week or two?

sixghost

Any suggestions for where to buy a full (e.g., non-upgrade) version of Windows 8? The cheapest I can find it for is on Amazon for $85.00. My university doesn't have the full version for sale, but I can get the upgrade version completely free... which is no help to me, since I am building a new PC and don't have any OS on there yet. I do have my Windows 7 discs handy, but that key is tied up to my current PC that I won't be scrapping, so that probably is no help.

Basically, is there anywhere to get a full version of Windows 8 for less than $85 within the next week or two?

I'm in the same situation. If you are a STEM major, you could check to see if your school has some sort of MSDNAA agreement. The cheapest I've found was $70 in our bookstore.

mkenyon

Banned

You can do a full install from the upgrade version.

NoRéN

I think this was mentioned before, but my Google-fu has failed me. Any links to how to do this?

I would like to know as well.

Someone had mentioned upgrading from Windows 8 preview to windows 8 but I could not find the preview download.

Salsa

diggin deeper into the CPU usage/fan thing

messed around changing BIOS stuff but no dice

at first I thought that the cpu getting hot quickly with low cpu usage could mean the hyper 212 became loose or something.. but wouldnt that mean that the PC would get hotter than before under real stress?

well I tested and that's not the case..

h67u7.png

random smaller spikes at the beggining and end are when loading the CPU up to 30% usage, big ass steady spike at the middle is prime 95 blend, 100% usage.

so basically there's one or two cores that immediatly go up to 60°C once I pass something like 28% usage

normal?

things that I found out cause around 30% percent usage (issue here could be that these things shouldnt reach those levels):

- scrolling through the steam grid view, making it load the cache images
- writing on the address bar in Chrome with a loaded cache (thus making the suggestion box drop. Doesnt happen if I clear the cache)
- hoverzoom extension in chrome

and the Hitman Absolution launcher gives me 100% usage for 2 seconds when I launch it

so, any of these things causes 30% cpu usage wich makes the temps of 1 or 2 cores immediatly reach 60°C (from a previous 45-50) thus making the fans go up from 1000RPM to something like 1250RPM

something wrong? should I worry y/n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom