• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
I'm building a budget rig for my bro this Xmas. Would this be a solid card to run modern stuff at medium or so?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130819

I have a gtx 460 and he'd like similar performance. Will this be better or worse?

Also considering this refurb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130717

Or to spend a bit more and grab:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161405

Making Far Cry 3 another present. How much of an upgrade is this over the 460? That's what they're all being compared to here.

RedSwirl

Seems ok, not a fan of GB's Z77 BIOS. You are getting a lot of good features that you probably don't need in comparison to a $100/$120 mobo in the OP.

What brand of mobo would you go with for the features I'm trying to get? The only ones I'm seeing in the OP are the ones on that huge build sheet. I have no idea what "memory slots," "SATA 3Gb/s," or "RAID Support" mean. Actually, come to think of it, what motherboard features would I even meed for the other parts I listed?

Thanks for the input!

Get a K model i7, it can be overclocked and resold for a much higher price. Many are able to overclock it to 4GHz on the stock cooler, 4.5ish on a Cooler Master 212.
The OCZ SSDs have a bad rep for reliablilty, the Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 however are know for being reliable.
32GB of RAM is probably too much. Most recommend 8GB for gaming and 16GB for multimedia work.
In that case you can use a non reference coolers. Reference coolers have a centrifugal fan blowing air out the back. They are efficient and keep hot air outside the case, but can also be noisy. Non reference coolers are more open with 1-3 (usually 2) fans blowing over the card and make much less noise while keeping the card colder in a well ventilated case.

Oh, and if you need a lot of HDD space then that case only has space for two 3.5 inch drives. It is possible to fit six 2.5 inch drives and there are converters for optical bay to 3.5 drives, but if you need a lot of storage down the line that could be worth considering. Nice of them to give you six 2.5 inch drives, it doesn't take a lot of space and with SSDs getting so cheap it is probably the future.

I think you can get a better deal on that OCZ Vertex 4 for about $75 on Amazon right now. I think your RAM seems way overpriced too if you mean you have 2x8 GB for 16 GB total... like, 2x what it should cost. Or, if you're getting 32 GB total, then as Ty4on mentioned that's really just pointless at this point. Even 8 GB is still generally overkill for gaming purposes. Are you outside of the US?

I'd go for a Samsung 830 for the SSD, and the 3770 to a 3770K.

Ok, so this is the new build:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB - 170
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz - 320
Graphics Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 - 390
Hard Drive #1: Samsung 830 128gb - 97
Hard Drive #2: Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB - 180
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB - 71
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF XB RC-902XB-KKN1 - 100
Total: $1328
Is there a reason why you guys don't suggest the newer Samsung 840?

Ty4on

What's people's thoughts on getting a 4-core CPU now, if 6-8 core Haswells and consoles might appear next year?

I'd like to avoid my mistake of getting an E8500 over the quad, but there doesn't seem to be many alternatives at the moment rather than the pricey i7 6-core. Do you think an i7 quad with its hyperthreading would hold up better than the i5?

Pretty sure it's been confirmed that highest end Haswell CPUs in the regular socket will be quad cores. Cores don't really mean that much in gaming. A dual core i3 that could be overclocked would be a really good buy if Intel made them.

The i5 3570k rarely does worse than the i7 3770k in gaming. Even in multimedia the difference isn't that big considering the price difference. In Cinebench a 5GHz 2600k does 27% better than a 5GHz 2500k.

Had my heart set on getting a 660Ti at the xmas break but now the HD7950 has came to my attention.

according to http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=647 both have their strengths and weaknesses.

decisions, decisions
Yeah, it seems like the overall better card for the price. The 670 is seems to have a better showing, but not by $100.

I'm thinking of going with the 7950 instead. Just gonna wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday before snapping it up.

Ty4on

Had my heart set on getting a 660Ti at the xmas break but now the HD7950 has came to my attention.

according to http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=647 both have their strengths and weaknesses.

decisions, decisions

If it makes any difference then the 7950 handles AA much better thanks to faster memory.
Framerate%201920x1080%20FPS.png

Lkr

my brother is either getting a 3570k or an i3. not sure which yet, don't think he needs the i5 power. as for myself, i'll be getting my old computer back, which has an old am3 board. no usb3, no sata3, etc. idk if i should keep the board and throw a x4 955 BE in there or if i should find a cheap intel board and get myself an i3, a 7850, and a sata 3 hard drive. the amd route is obviously a lot cheaper and is why i'm considering it

both of us play on 1080p fwiw. i'm really looking to play bf3 which isn't cpu dependent and hoping for decent arkham city performance. i also want to run dolphin, and from what i understand it likes pure GHz. i was planning on pushing the 955 to at least 3.9ghz

kharma45

my brother is either getting a 3570k or an i3. not sure which yet, don't think he needs the i5 power. as for myself, i'll be getting my old computer back, which has an old am3 board. no usb3, no sata3, etc. idk if i should keep the board and throw a x4 955 BE in there or if i should find a cheap intel board and get myself an i3, a 7850, and a sata 3 hard drive. the amd route is obviously a lot cheaper and is why i'm considering it

both of us play on 1080p fwiw. i'm really looking to play bf3 which isn't cpu dependent and hoping for decent arkham city performance. i also want to run dolphin, and from what i understand it likes pure GHz. i was planning on pushing the 955 to at least 3.9ghz

BF3 is pretty CPU dependent online I thought, quad core is fully utilised iirc.

Celegus

I'm looking to finally upgrade mine and my wife's PCs after 5.5 years. Since I need to buy two of everything, it gets pretty expensive so I tried to keep it pretty low budget. How does this stuff look for a budget gaming build?

Video Card: HIS iCooler H775FS2G Radeon HD 7750 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $60
Processor: AMD A6-3670K Unlocked Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD3670WNGXBOX $90
Motherboard: MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $30
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL $50 (one 8gb stick for each PC)

Mobius 1

The board does have lucidlogic mvp so you will be able to pipe the 680 video stream through the thunderbolt but keep in mind there will be higher input lag and a slight performance hit then directly attched to the GPU. I assume your trying to plug into your 27in imac as a monitor? IIRC you dont need a thundbolt board, the displayport off the 680 can plug directly into your imac (the thunderbolt connector is really a mini displayport with PCI data cleverly mixed in)

You might also want a 4GB 680 if your gaming at that higher resolution.

Thanks, that's precisely the case.I intend to replace the iMac with a Thunderbolt Display, and use my Macbook plugged to it as the work machine. The PC will really only be for leisure - heavy hardcore gaming ( I skipped everything since Crysis 1), media streaming around the house, etc. Also the iMac accepts only native res or 720p input signals.

The Thunderbolt display only accepts video input via, well Thunderbolt - Mini DisplayPort won't do. I'm making my life more complicated than it should be, since I could get and older Cinema Display and not have to worry about that.... but I hate cables.

Anyway, I've read around that the GTX 680 2GB can handle most things well enough at 2560x1440. I don't mind dropping to 1080p if things get too hairy in the future, or I might just SLI later with another one.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've saved about close to $150 thus far.

AsRock Z77 Extrem4 motherboard $135->$105
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 power supply $90->$60
COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP $12->$11
Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $70->$40
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB $110->$50

Just waiting for the best possible deals on a GPU and CPU at this point.
Nice!
Damn, the performance jump is massive. Looks like I know what to get next month!
Look at the AMD offerings as well, better for the money.
Just to confirm I have Acer Predator G3610, CPU is i7-2600 3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM. Will I get a lot out of getting 670GTX?
Yes, but a 7850/7950 will get you a lot better value. You need a new power supply as well, get a BP550.[/QUOTE]
any difference between 212+ and 212 evo?
Get the EVO. Slightly better for only $5 more
What do you think?

Monitor: ASUS PB Series PB278Q 27" 5ms (GTG) WQHD HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD
CPU:Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core
GPU: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100351VXSR Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5
MOBO:ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
PSU: COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAD3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HEATSINK: ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
CD: ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS

All I'm going to be doing is GAMING/MOVIES.
Swap the PSU for an X650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088
Drop that Zalman cooler. It sucks, will cut you, and weighs too much.
Get a 212 EVO or ZALMAN CNPS11X Performa.

Get low profile RAM like in the OP
Usually I read through a thread before asking a question that's probably been covered, but this is a huge thread.

I currently have a GTX 560, and that's not going to cut it with Far Cry 3. I'm considering the 660 (non ti) as it seems to offer decent value and is about the max I'm willing to spend (under $250). Is this a decent choice?
Not that much a worth while upgrade. Check out a 7950 instead.
Bad. Get an 830 or M4.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X8EB82/?tag=neogaf0e-20 any thoughts on this for use as a media center pc? wouldn't be gaming on it

I got it from the lightning deal at $280 but haven't paid for it yet so I can still cancel the order
Rather large and you'll need to drop in a graphics card, but usable for the price. I'd rather get a smaller case and put in an AMD A4 CPU.
Why were you guys recommending the 840 instead of the 830 before?

I saw it mentioned on another site that the 840 uses cheaper components than the 830's?
The 840 recommendation was based on the performance of the 840 Pro and the IMPLIED good performance numbers and lower price before it was released. The 840 came out and is nowhere near competitive to the 830 in any regard which is why I don't recommend it now.

The cheaper components are going to drive SSD prices even lower into the ground so it's good. Just not right now as they clear out old stock and work out using the new NAND.
What's people's thoughts on getting a 4-core CPU now, if 6-8 core Haswells and consoles might appear next year?

I'd like to avoid my mistake of getting an E8500 over the quad, but there doesn't seem to be many alternatives at the moment rather than the pricey i7 6-core. Do you think an i7 quad with its hyperthreading would hold up better than the i5?
It's possible, but I don't think it will make that large a difference. Haswell doesn't promise a ton of single threaded boosts or clock speed buffs and if any game uses an Intel quad well today that's an insane amount of power. There's talk of Unreal 4 being n-threaded, but that would only help a little.
What brand of mobo would you go with for the features I'm trying to get? The only ones I'm seeing in the OP are the ones on that huge build sheet. I have no idea what "memory slots," "SATA 3Gb/s," or "RAID Support" mean. Actually, come to think of it, what motherboard features would I even meed for the other parts I listed?
The stuff in the OP is good what what people need. If you realize you want an mSATA slot, or need HDMI from mobo out, or want 6x USB 3.0 ports, optical out, eSATA ports, etc then you find one with those.
Most people just need the basic hookups and those $100 boards do it.

decisions, decisions
So Samsung 840 250GB SSD is a acceptable replacement for the 830? 830 is out of stock
No. Much slower. Look for an M4 or 830 elsewhere. Tons of good enough SSDs going for sale though!
Thanks for the input!

Ok, so this is the new build:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB - 170
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz - 320
Graphics Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 - 390
Hard Drive #1: Samsung 830 128gb - 97
Hard Drive #2: Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB - 180
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB - 71
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF XB RC-902XB-KKN1 - 100
Total: $1328
Is there a reason why you guys don't suggest the newer Samsung 840?
840 slower.

New build looks solid, 7950 if you aren't brand loyal.
Hell if Intel let the Pentium CPU's be overclocked they'd be amazing buys for budget rigs never mind the i3!
If only.
I'm getting my brother a pc for black Friday. What video card should I get him? A 560 ti, or a 660?
An AMD card for price/performance. 7850 would be great, plus you get Far Cry 3.
Just jumped on a Intel 330 180gb drive, anything I should be worried about?
Nope, you are good.
Benchmarks show no difference between an i7 and a phenom for it though
In BF3 sure. In just about every other game, hell no.
I'm looking to finally upgrade mine and my wife's PCs after 5.5 years. Since I need to buy two of everything, it gets pretty expensive so I tried to keep it pretty low budget. How does this stuff look for a budget gaming build?

Video Card: HIS iCooler H775FS2G Radeon HD 7750 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $60
Processor: AMD A6-3670K Unlocked Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD3670WNGXBOX $90
Motherboard: MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $30
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL $50 (one 8gb stick for each PC)
7770 Ghz Edition GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687 (Far Cry 3 free)
Intel blows AMD out of the water so get a G860: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116405
You want 2x4GB so you get double memory bandwidth, so two 8GB kits.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

And the motherboard... you are going dangerously budget. I found this to match:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130656

Lkr

Hazaro, is there any reason to go with any other processor than a i3 3220 at that price range? from what i understand there is no overclocking, so I am a bit unsure. i'm gonna pair it with a cheap mobo, a 7870, and hope to play dolphin and PC games on it

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hazaro, is there any reason to go with any other processor than a i3 3220 at that price range? from what i understand there is no overclocking, so I am a bit unsure. i'm gonna pair it with a cheap mobo, a 7870, and hope to play dolphin and PC games on it
An overclocked AMD Quad (645/965) can come close to single threaded performance of an i3, but at the cost of twice the power, a heatsink, and a poor upgrade path. Does have those cores though.
Stock the i3 demolishes AMD's offerings in just about any game.

As an overall package a PC should have the route to be upgradable down the line and AMD doesn't have anything that is better to upgrade to.

I don't think Dolphin will run that great on the i3, but it should handle a fair amount of titles.

Lkr

An overclocked AMD Quad (645/965) can come close to single threaded performance of an i3, but at the cost of twice the power, a heatsink, and a poor upgrade path. Does have those cores though.

As an overall package a PC should have the route to be upgradable down the line and AMD doesn't have anything that is better to upgrade to.

I don't think Dolphin will run that great on the i3, but it should handle a fair amount of titles.
Maybe I'll splurge on an i5 then. I'm just not sure tbh, don't want to spend too much on the CPU and then not be able to afford a gpu

Is there any i3 overclocking at all or has intel completely closed it off?

xJavonta

Banned
yup but not for long tho. Im upgrading to justfy buying a 120hz monitor soon
Good idea, what use is all that GPU power if it's not being used huh.

My i3-2100 at stock runs anything I throw at it in Dolphin with the exception of F-Zero (although I think that's a Dolphin issue, not my CPU) so the 3220 should handle it fine.

Maybe I'll splurge on an i5 then. I'm just not sure tbh, don't want to spend too much on the CPU and then not be able to afford a gpu

Is there any i3 overclocking at all or has intel completely closed it off?
I believe OCing it restricted to the K series of chips on Intel. So the i5 and i7 only.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Quick someone stop me if there's a reason not to get this for $100:

ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157330
Return Policy: Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
-$25.00 Instant
$124.99
$99.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Item #: N82E16820231428
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
-$39.99 Saving
$39.99
$0.00
Subtotal: $99.99

I know it's an Extreme3 and not 4, but $100 for the ram and mobo seems good?

Going to pair it with a 3570K when I can find a deal.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good idea, what use is all that GPU power if it's not being used huh.

My i3-2100 at stock runs anything I throw at it in Dolphin with the exception of F-Zero (although I think that's a Dolphin issue, not my CPU) so the 3220 should handle it fine.

I believe OCing it restricted to the K series of chips on Intel. So the i5 and i7 only.
You can FSB overclock, but it's pretty minor and generally frowned upon as the BLCK is tied to a lot of other things.
Quick someone stop me if there's a reason not to get this for $100:

ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157330
Return Policy: Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
-$25.00 Instant
$124.99
$99.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Item #: N82E16820231428
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
-$39.99 Saving
$39.99
$0.00
Subtotal: $99.99

I know it's an Extreme3 and not 4, but $100 for the ram and mobo seems good?
Approved

gurudyne

The sales have descended already and my brain is all but mush. I brought up the subject of 4GB GPUs a while ago and wanted to get someone to weigh in on these two. I know, one's overclocked higher, one's cheaper, but I wanted to hear if anyone's had any issues with Galaxy before or if there's something I might be missing about the cards.

GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-4GD GeForce GTX 670 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125449

Galaxy 67NQH6DN6KXZ GeForce GTX 670 GC 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162118

Assume the build's the standard Enthusiast from the OP. Anything I should know before I attempt to pull the trigger (the Galaxy's gone Out of Stock earlier today on NewEgg)?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The sales have descended already and my brain is all but mush. I brought up the subject of 4GB GPUs a while ago and wanted to get someone to weigh in on these two. I know, one's overclocked higher, one's cheaper, but I wanted to hear if anyone's had any issues with Galaxy before or if there's something I might be missing about the cards.

GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-4GD GeForce GTX 670 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125449

Galaxy 67NQH6DN6KXZ GeForce GTX 670 GC 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162118

Assume the build's the standard Enthusiast from the OP. Anything I should know before I attempt to pull the trigger (the Galaxy's gone Out of Stock earlier today on NewEgg)?
While I do love all of the GB and ASUS coolers, for the price if you can go AMD the 7970's with newer drivers perform better than 670's and are cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

Between those 670's though, GB for sure.
meh, looks like they ran out of 830 ssd 256gb in canada. Should i get 2x 128gb or opt out for a 256gb m4?
256GB M4 if the price is low enough.

RedSwirl

The stuff in the OP is good what what people need. If you realize you want an mSATA slot, or need HDMI from mobo out, or want 6x USB 3.0 ports, optical out, eSATA ports, etc then you find one with those.
Most people just need the basic hookups and those $100 boards do it.

I would personally rather have 8x USB ports and I will need an optical out. I imagine the GPU would already come with its own HDMI out. I don't really know what mSATA and eSATA are though. eSATA is like, for an HDD right?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I would personally rather have 8x USB ports and I will need an optical out. I imagine the GPU would already come with its own HDMI out. I don't really know what mSATA and eSATA are though. eSATA is like, for an HDD right?
That GB mobo looks fine, but I only see 6 on the back (but all USB 3.0!)

This ASRock has 8 ports on the back: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157298

Of course you have your top case ports as well and nearly every mobo has 6 USB on the back now.

If you are still gathering parts and 6 ports ont he back is fine you can go with either of these for a touch less.

RAM bundle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330
Extreme4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

x3r0123

i get the feeling black friday/cyber monday will suck for either 830 or m4. I could wait until xmas that's like a month away

So the HD7870 is going for $230 CDN with a $40 rebate at newegg right now. Think I should go for it now or wait for friday/monday and hope for something better?

Hate that the newegg sale started on a Wednesday. Afraid I'll wait too long on something and half the stuff I'm looking at will sell out or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom