• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3r0123

^ +1, i plan to put my ssd at the left of my case since it will be mostly cables there

From lowest to highest in price: low speed yate loons, spectre pro, corsair AF quiet edition, scythe GT AP-15s, noctua nf-s12, noiseblocker eloops. For heataink duty, swap out corsair SP for AF, F12 for S12, otherwise the list stays the same.

For thermal paste, whatever comes with the heatsink will be fine. If you need some anyway, Phobya HeGrease is the best, Prolimatech PK1/2/3 are great.

thanks

Lkr

ok my shit keeps going out of stock, so i want to order now. please provide quick feedback

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($150 @ tigerdirect)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($45.98 @ Newegg)

anything i should switch out?

Yuripaw

Banned
I need your help guys. It's been a while since I've been in the building PC market, and I'm not even building a new PC, but because of all the different brands, and prices, I need help pinpointing something I need.

My dad's computer, during a storm a few months ago, the PSU got shorted out, and he's needed a new PSU for a while. I need help finding him one that'll work. He only has a basic store bought PC, was out of warranty though. He's telling me though, that it needs at least 2-3 4 pin connectors for some old IDE hard drives he uses in it, and he needs them to be long enough to reach. Plus it needs some sata plugs as well.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of wattage he needs, but I think at least 550w, or 600 would make him happy. Could you guys please help me out finding a PSU I can get for him that's reasonably prices, but not gonna crap out on him either?

AkIRA_22

Holy hell, I didn't realize this was a thing. I just got the 7870, How often will I need to replace the coolants?

My rule of thumb is to do it every 12 months regardless, or when I add something to the loop. Mainly because it's just such a pain in the arse.

I have an adapter for a tap and just force water through it, then I run a closed loop with vinegar, then one with demineralised water. Then the final set up and put the antibacterial and demineralised water in and that's it. That all takes about an hour.

Since we're whipping them out.

DSC_0007.jpg

The crossed CPU tubing will be fixed this week when I add the 7970.

I have a question about wearing out SSD. I bought a Crucial M4 64GB SSD las year and during that time, I had to reinstall Windows and do the quick format through the Windows disc multiple times due to problems with my previous PC, switching the SSD to a PC I built a few months ago, motherboard and PSU problems with that one, and upgrading to Windows 8. I have probably done this like 10 times so far.

My question is does reinstalling Windows and doing a quick format wear down SSDs much? Like does it use multiple write cycles or is it one per install?

Lkr

newegg declined my debit card despite the fact that i have more than adequate funds in my checking account. resubmitted the payment, hopefully it works this time....funny because they broke my case into a second order(apparently it won't ship with shoprunner), and that one went through without a hiccup.

just showed up on my statement so i think all is good

AkIRA_22

I have a question about wearing out SSD. I bought a Crucial M4 64GB SSD las year and during that time, I had to reinstall Windows and do the quick format through the Windows disc multiple times due to problems with my previous PC, switching the SSD to a PC I built a few months ago, motherboard and PSU problems with that one, and upgrading to Windows 8. I have probably done this like 10 times so far.

My question is does reinstalling Windows and doing a quick format wear down SSDs much? Like does it use multiple write cycles or is it one per install?

No. SSDs can take many tens of thousands (millions?) of write cycles. Windows is only one write cycle.

I don't think something like that is going to wear down an SSD.

My rule of thumb is to do it every 12 months regardless, or when I add something to the loop. Mainly because it's just such a pain in the arse.

I have an adapter for a tap and just force water through it, then I run a closed loop with vinegar, then one with demineralised water. Then the final set up and put the antibacterial and demineralised water in and that's it. That all takes about an hour.

So high tech...

I wouldn't be surprised if Zordon suddenly appeared in that tube.

mkenyon

Banned
I need your help guys. It's been a while since I've been in the building PC market, and I'm not even building a new PC, but because of all the different brands, and prices, I need help pinpointing something I need.

My dad's computer, during a storm a few months ago, the PSU got shorted out, and he's needed a new PSU for a while. I need help finding him one that'll work. He only has a basic store bought PC, was out of warranty though. He's telling me though, that it needs at least 2-3 4 pin connectors for some old IDE hard drives he uses in it, and he needs them to be long enough to reach. Plus it needs some sata plugs as well.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of wattage he needs, but I think at least 550w, or 600 would make him happy. Could you guys please help me out finding a PSU I can get for him that's reasonably prices, but not gonna crap out on him either?
1) Antec VP450, and just buy some IDE adapters. There probably are some where multiple connectors break off a single molex connector. If this sounds like gibberish, then some quick Google image searches should help.
2) Got my Vita and P4G on the way. So fuckin excite.
Is this much better than the BP550 Plus? If the extra $5 is worth it I might jump on it...
Yes.

*edit for autocorrect.

DSC_0007.jpg

I see thousands of WC builds, and yours always sticks out to me as classy and elegant. I love that setup.
i can't afford to spend any more on a mobo. i'm on a really tight budget that i am already wiggling around
Then it is totally cool.

tarheel91

Any thoughts on this build? Based off the $1000 guide.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.02 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer ($28.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1022.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-24 21:27 EST-0500)

One thing in particular I'm wondering about is which 7950 is best for me. I probably will eventually overclock, and will be using it for primarily games, but also some 3D CAD and Matlab. If this looks good, I'll probably pull the trigger tonight.

Salsa

hey mkenyon, regarding the VRM pop/noise/whatever. Do you do anything special to maybe cover it in some way or just deal with it through loud speakers/headphones?

mkenyon

Banned
hey mkenyon, regarding the VRM pop/noise/whatever. Do you do anything special to maybe cover it in some way or just deal with it through loud speakers/headphones?
Just kind of accept it. I only get it under heavy load, and it increases during suicide OC runs. The load noise only bothers me when it is super loud fans, everything else gets blocked out by my PC 350s.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Thanks for all the advice guys. This is the build I ended up with. Everything is currently on its way, hopefully I'll be able to start putting it together on Friday. I'm pretty satisfied with all the parts, and I think I managed to get it all for pretty cheap. I was woefully under-prepared when it came to researching video cards though. I didn't really have any idea what to look for other than doing a bunch of benchmark comparisons. At least I'll have a point of reference for next time, and wont have the time pressure of Black Friday.

All I need is a monitor now. Thanks again.

Where you finding that 2500k for $108?

tarheel91

Looks super good. Gigabyte, Sapphire, and ASUS are the best in terms of thermals and acoustics. Avoid the Sapphire Toxic.

Any alternatives to that hard drive in the $75 range? It's backordered where I was planning on getting it and it's $12 more elsewhere.

Lkr

I'm holding off on a new hard drive until prices come down. Until they do, I'll be using a 160gb drive and my 2tb external for non-important files :x
What is this thread's preference in regards to windows 7 vs windows 8? I had been planning on just going with 7, but I'm not sure which to go with

RedSwirl

That GB mobo looks fine, but I only see 6 on the back (but all USB 3.0!)

This ASRock has 8 ports on the back: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157298

Of course you have your top case ports as well and nearly every mobo has 6 USB on the back now.

If you are still gathering parts and 6 ports ont he back is fine you can go with either of these for a touch less.

RAM bundle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330
Extreme4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

Any way you could find me either of the bottom two on Amazon? I seem to be having trouble in the pursuit. PCPP doesn't seem to list Amazon prices for them either.

mkenyon

Banned
Looks like they don't have the Extreme 3. Extreme 4 is like 10 of the first 20 results when you type in 'ASRock Z77 Extreme' in Amazon. I am unfamiliar with the website so I'm not sure which one to link.

I'm holding off on a new hard drive until prices come down. Until they do, I'll be using a 160gb drive and my 2tb external for non-important files :x
What is this thread's preference in regards to windows 7 vs windows 8? I had been planning on just going with 7, but I'm not sure which to go with
I'm skipping 8. Windows 7 does everything just fine for gaming and I don't have to worry about MS' ulterior motives as well.

xJavonta

Banned
Never built myself a PC before, does this build have any compatibility issues or bottlenecks?

My build

Why are you getting that HDD? It's only 300GB and it's 1000RPM which means it'll be loud as hell. With your budget, you can get an SSD for OS and a HDD for storage.

edit; also, what country are you in? NZ? If I'm not blind, I'm seeing $55USD for that mouse which is $20USD in the states.

Forgive my ignorance, but are parts usually that expensive in everywhere else?

QaaQer

Does anyone know if Intel's WiDi tech works with Lucid's Virtua's gpu virtualization technology? This board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131932&Tpk=P8Z77-I%20DELUXE%2fWD is supposed to be able to push fullHD to a reciever like the Belkin sreencast, but I also want to use a 550 ti with it.

For those who don't know, WiDi is intel's proprietary standard for wireless streaming of video. Lucid's Virtua allows the use of a discrete graphics card and Intel's integrated graphics. It uses whichever graphics processor most suits the task. If the discrete card isn't needed, it basically shuts it down to save energy. WiDi only works if you are using Inte's integrated graphics.

edit; also, what country are you in? NZ? If I'm not blind, I'm seeing $55USD for that mouse which is $20USD in the states.

Forgive my ignorance, but are parts usually that expensive in everywhere else?

yes it can and ends up looking really fucked up when comparing

here ya go, i made some modifications but it's a little higher

http://pcpartpicker.com/nz/p/plla

the choice of kb & m is up to you
case as well

edit: wow there arent a lot of choices for new zealand

new zealand and australia have it the worst in terms of prices. Canada isn't that much different from the US

I would say latin america as well imo

x3r0123

well depends on him/her on what he plans to use it for
though if it's just daily browsing, watching movies and casual gaming then some of those can be an overkill

Lkr

Dat input lag though. It makes using a wireless mouse feel like some precision tool.

are you talking about with widi or just in general with wireless mouse? i personally always hear people using input lag as a reason for not going with wireless, but in 5+ years, i have never had any issues

Animaniac

I've been using the guide in the OP (so good!) to put together a mini ITX Steambox to use on my plasma TV and so far I've got:

Parts I already have:
GPU MSi Geforce GTX 670 2GB
SSD Sandisk 480GB

Looking at buying:
CPU Core i5 3570k
Cooler Corsair H60?
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I
RAM 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz?
Case Bitfenix Prodigy? Silverstone? Fractal?
PSU 500W+?

Does this look ok?

I tried looking for the Samsung RAM but I can't find it for sale anywhere in Australia. Does it have to be Samsung and 1.35V? What are the reasons for these? Corsair and G.skill make low profile RAM that I can get at pccasegear.com

The Corsair H60 looks like a really easy way to water cool without the hassle. Is that the quietest option?

I really love the look of the Bitfenix case but I can't lay it down horizontally in my home theatre unit. I wish there was something similar that wasn't so tall.

Ledsen

are you talking about with widi or just in general with wireless mouse? i personally always hear people using input lag as a reason for not going with wireless, but in 5+ years, i have never had any issues

Yeah I've never been able to notice any input lag with my Performance MX. I try really hard to stare at the pointer in Windows while I'm moving my hand to see if I notice it being slower, but no. It looks and feels instantaneous to me.

If I'm planning to build my first PC in the next two or three months, is this Micro Center deal (an i5 3570k for $170, an ASUS P8Z77-V LK [Newegg Link] for $60) a worthwhile deal? Sales tax adds ~$17 and I'm not too keen about the lack of USB ports on the board, but if that's the best deal I'm likely to find in the next few months then I'll hop in the car and brave the roads tomorrow.

For $15 more I could get the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [Newegg link].
edit: the ASRock board is $5 more.

Both boards are listed in the OP and I'm assuming they're both solid, but I want to be absolutely sure before I spend the money.

Went to order the Gigabyte 7850 on Newegg and it sold out right as I put it in my cart. Damn!

EDIT: It's back! Ordering now before it goes out of stock again.

SJRB

Gold Member
Guys I need some help and I don't want to make a thread about something as trivial as this.

Since I bought my PC I was greeted by a black/grey login and welcome screen when booting up Windows 7. But this morning, out of nowhere suddenly the welcome screen was blue. How in the HELL is this even possible? I'm completely puzzled and frankly quite annoyed because I didn't do anything close to welcome screens.

And to make matters worse, when I google for the black/grey screen I get nothing. Not a single image. Am I going crazy here?

edit: fixed, I changed a value of OEMBackground in the registry. This is still weird as hell but at least I got rid of that awful blue screen.

Welp Newegg is having a problem with the Gigabyte 7850 page so I can't buy it. I've been reading about the card and people seem to be having issues with it due to the factory OC and the fan. Kinda making me not want to get that and go for either the Sapphire or MSI.

sol_bad

Can anyone tell me what the general consensus is on the OCZ Agility SSD's?

Asking due the Amazon lightning deal that is soon to happen.
Would it be better to stick to Samsung and Crucial?

Thanks in advance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can anyone tell me what the general consensus is on the OCZ Agility SSD's?

Asking due the Amazon lightning deal that is soon to happen.
Would it be better to stick to Samsung and Crucial?

Thanks in advance.
830 or M4 > Intel > Other SF-2000 based SSDs (Almost everything) > OCZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom