• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDub

S23A700, 750, and 950D are all the same panel. They all have different stands, 700 is Dual Link DVI only, 750 is display port only, and 950 is both. I think it is the best one out there thanks to the insane colors. BenQ XL2420T is a good choice if you prefer a matte screen.

It OCs to insane levels. It is stuff that people who are not in the know are paying $200 for.

Thanks Kenyon. AMD 7950 or GTX660ti? Reference and non-oc. Will not be oc-ing the cards. On paper the 7950 is better, but when I watch benchmark comparisons between the AMD vs nvidia cards, AMD seems to have some issues with games (Skyrim stutters) and bad driver support?

Whats your take? I'd like to go AMD if its worth the hassle. Dat extra vram.

For any Aussies in this thread who're looking at getting an AMD 7000 series card, pccasegear are apparently getting the AMD never settle bundle before the end of this month. I'm hoping to pick that up and save roughly $180 for the cost of those 3 games.

Ty4on

Thanks Kenyon. AMD 7950 or GTX660ti? Reference and non-oc. Will not be oc-ing the cards. On paper the 7950 is better, but when I watch benchmark comparisons between the AMD vs nvidia cards, AMD seems to have some issues with games (Skyrim stutters) and bad driver support?

Whats your take? I'd like to go AMD if its worth the hassle. Dat extra vram.

Pretty sure that was with the old drivers. In newer benches the AMD cards do much better in Skyrim.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-9.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/57413-amd-12-11-never-settle-driver-performance-11.html

DTKT

-_-;

I'm having lots of signal issues in my place, tried to fix the issues so many ways but it's still happening.

Have almost about 6 or 7 wireless devices on at once as well.

The WRT54 is a pretty solid router. Are you sure it's a router issue and not conflicting settings?

Try changing the wireless channels?

Whats an OK graphics card for $50?

Upgrading my nieces PC (onboard) so she can play Torchlight 2

It has an i5 CPU.

Toss up between GT 620 and Radeon 6450.

Arsin

S23A700, 750, and 950D are all the same panel. They all have different stands, 700 is Dual Link DVI only, 750 is display port only, and 950 is both. I think it is the best one out there thanks to the insane colors. BenQ XL2420T is a good choice if you prefer a matte screen.

Sweet thanks for the info. Now if I get one with a display port should I go with that or is DVI just as good?

Milly79

So is the Rosewill Challenger (3 fans) sufficient enough for cooling a 6870 and i5? I'm always scared about parts overheating.

iavi

7950 every which way. Such an amazing price for so much power.

Hopefully AMD pushes out some drivers to bring up performance in FC3, given that the game even comes with the 7950 right now.

Early benchmarks have that game crushing everything.

SoulClap

That's dope. I didn't know that they had a service like that. what do they ship with? I'm in downtown Toronto.

edit: I forgot that I had already pre prepped a list of potential parts a few months ago. what do you guys think? any parts that I should swap out?

They use UPS for shipping. I'd swap out the EVGA 680 for a Gigabyte 670.. The 670 is a better value and it runs cooler and quieter. I'd also swap out a green HDD for blue. Can't really comment on your monitor and case selections because the links are broken for those.

Salsa

hyper 212 evo fan already starting to give me issues. Ive read it was a pretty bad quality fan but man, its been barely 2 months or so (granted I had the case on its side/been moving it around for the majority of that time but I dont see how that could have done it)

would any 12cm fan do the trick?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm looking for a 560 ti and this zotac one looks like a pretty good deal. $149.99 after rebate.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ffiliateID=qcLRzjFniJE-3xySqGh_Uw3P11lnwS4A0Q I've also seen this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7191450&csid=_61 which one should I pull the trigger on?
Does it have to be 560Ti?

These are better buys:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131472

If you need a cheap 560Ti you can get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133381

Ignore the negative reviews.

Also I don't like TigerDirect. I had issues ordering from them the only two times I used them and often use 3rd party resellers / drop shippers.
hyper 212 evo fan already starting to give me issues. Ive read it was a pretty bad quality fan but man, its been barely 2 months or so (granted I had the case on its side/been moving it around for the majority of that time but I dont see how that could have done it)

would any 12cm fan do the trick?
Should be ok. Have you tied simply forcing it to run at 40-60% speed? I believe a standard 120mmx25mm replacement will work.

Salsa

Should be ok. Have you tied simply forcing it to run at 40-60% speed? I believe a standard 120mmx25mm replacement will work.

i'll remove it and check it out tomorrow morning as apparently it starts to slow down and makes a whirring sound even when going fast. I googled around and it seems to be normal given the quality of it (some people for example were saying that if you tilt your case a bit the whirring goes away and yup). Might try push/pull now with 2 new ones. Sound is bothersome but id deal if it wasnt for the fact that it is indeed slowing down at random moments

nothing wrong with sticking what's supposed to be a case fan in there right? I mean as long as it fits its just a fan no?

JJBro One

Does it have to be 560Ti?

These are better buys:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131472

If you need a cheap 560Ti you can get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133381

Ignore the negative reviews.

Also I don't like TigerDirect. I had issues ordering from them the only two times I used them and often use 3rd party resellers / drop shippers.

ok, thanks for the advice. What are your thoughts on this 660 for $199? http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=76367&vpn=GTX660-DC2O-2GD5&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1286 How much better is it than the 560 ti?

iavi

Picked up the Corsair 550D from NCIX for $128 (free shipping), and the SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular gold for $75 from Newegg.

Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals didn't seem to great aside from the $50 fractal arc that I missed out on at ncix, but I've had my eye on the 550D for a while now and this is probably the cheapest it'll be for a while.

This rig is on its way.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i'll remove it and check it out tomorrow morning as apparently it starts to slow down and makes a whirring sound even when going fast. I googled around and it seems to be normal given the quality of it (some people for example were saying that if you tilt your case a bit the whirring goes away and yup). Might try push/pull now with 2 new ones. Sound is bothersome but id deal if it wasnt for the fact that it is indeed slowing down at random moments

nothing wrong with sticking what's supposed to be a case fan in there right? I mean as long as it fits its just a fan no?
Yup 120mm just mount it on there. Mobo might want a 4 pin on it, but whatever.
ok, thanks for the advice. What are your thoughts on this 660 for $199? http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=76367&vpn=GTX660-DC2O-2GD5&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1286 How much better is it than the 560 ti?
Oooh. NCIX has an Asus GTX 660 on sale for $199. It's $10 less than the 7850 I'm grabbing. Should I stick with the 7850 or go with the 660?
That is a solid deal, I would pick that up.

For both of you if you want MP3 you do save the cost of the game with a 7850.

beje

Banned
Whats an OK graphics card for $50?

Upgrading my nieces PC (onboard) so she can play Torchlight 2

It has an i5 CPU.

Toss up between GT 620 and Radeon 6450.

$50 cards are not much better than onboard and some are in fact worse than an integrated Intel HD3000. If she wants to play go for a 7750 at the very very least (doesn't even need external power so you don't have to worry about the power supply) and make sure she has a PCI-Express slot as some prebuilt PCs cut corners EVERYWHERE.

Edit: I don't know why I read Borderlands 2 instead of Torchlight 2. For that game you can safely go with integrated.

x3r0123

just bought m4 256gb for $170. I realize it was $160 one month ago but it's good enough for me

my build is done with the exception of monitor

Tomodachi

Samsung SSD 840 250GB at 119£ on amazon.co.uk right now, it's a flash sale, hurry up if interested.

I think I'll pass, was hoping for a better deal :(

830 128GB it is, I guess.

Hey guys, new to this. I need to get some preliminary questions out of the way before I put together a list of parts. I'll probably just go off one of the lists provides in the OP.

Do I need a high end computer to emulate PS2 and/or Wii games? I'd like to move the consoles out of my living room, but I don't know if the cost of getting my computer to run them is worth it.

Do certain games, such as Dark Souls, run only in windows? I was thinking about running a Linux system, but I'd that affects the amount of games I can run, I'll bite the bullet and install windows.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just got a Gigabyte 7870 2GB for $218. That's not bad, right? Or is there a good reason that one was cheaper than the rest...

Well, upgrading from a 5770 should make this a good buy either way I guess.

FinKL

Do I need a high end computer to emulate PS2 and/or Wii games? I'd like to move the consoles out of my living room, but I don't know if the cost of getting my computer to run them is worth it.

Do certain games, such as Dark Souls, run only in windows? I was thinking about running a Linux system, but I'd that affects the amount of games I can run, I'll bite the bullet and install windows.

Emulation, from what I hear is CPU, heavy. I'm pretty sure the idea is you want higher single core clock speed.

Can't answer the Dark Souls question, but most things on PC you can tinker with to try and fix. I don't see why you can't get windowed mode

I just got a Gigabyte 7870 2GB for $218. That's not bad, right? Or is there a good reason that one was cheaper than the rest...

Great deal, normally goes for $240 and Gigabyte makes a pretty good cooling design for their card (Windforce)

Ledsen

Hey guys, new to this. I need to get some preliminary questions out of the way before I put together a list of parts. I'll probably just go off one of the lists provides in the OP.

You need Windows if you want to play games.

Everyone is doing it. Lower costs and more yield.

Kingston marked their new HyperX SSDs as 3K in regards to the write rate which is pretty cool.

To offset the lower write count they are minimizing the amount of writes needed per data amount (Used to be like 50x writes for 1x data, and now it's like 10x) plus doing a good job with the write balancing.

If you want something that will last more than 7 years then you buy a larger process or different kind of NAND.

It's this that is going to drive SSD prices to $0.50 a GB this year while still being as fast and hopefully doubling in capacity. Hard to complain about.

well something has to be sacrificed to get something else.

and since you put it that way, hopefully they don't skimp out too much.

i like reading things like this, since i have an SSD in the mail :p

sadly, im using a case from like 2008 so i have nowhere to mount it, but my friend told me i could just tape it anywhere, haha.

it should be noted that i never used a laptop/desktop system with one (eg like a macbook air) so the effect of the jump on my mind was pretty potent LOL.

90 bucks well spent.

plus the tape thing was recently brought up again for another poster

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
No one in here is going to recommend wasting your money on a desktop Macintosh. That's probably the exact opposite of what this thread is about, i.e. building your own rig that will always be cheaper, more powerful and better customized than any kind of pre-built marked up garbage.

Willectro

Banned
You need Windows if you want to play games.

OaWok.jpg

Soon...

allright I got a new 7950, awesome gpu and I am really happy with it. But my 1055t is holding it back, also the CPU gets hot for no reason even with water cooling. I want to get an i5 3750k unlocked, will that be a good upgrade? Or should I wait for newer CPu's?

Ty4on

Perfect timing. Was just checking what a cheap little mATX computer with an AMD 5800k would cost. A little under 3000NOK before shipping, OEM Windows would cost a little over 700NOK T.T

In pretty much everything apart from gaming Linux (Ubuntu) is just fine. Much better to multitask with the workspaces and some apps like Blender run much faster.

Edit: A Samsung 830 128GB SSD for Ubuntu would be cheaper than Windows itself... (700NOK)

Okay guys I've put something together theoretically. I want to be able to play fairly modern games at or above PS360 levels, on a reasonable budget. I'll be playing mostly indie steam games, along with Dark Souls and Portal 2 right off the bat. Again, it doesn't have to look amazing, but I can upgrade something on the list if it is cheap and worthwhile. I would also like to use a dual monitor setup only for watching twitch while having access to another full monitor. Also, what will I need to upgrade if I wanted to emulate PS2 and possibly Wii? Will this due?

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
CASE: Corsair 200R
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520C 520W
GPU: GTX 650 Ti
CPU: 965 AMD
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

Sorry I cannot provide links, my old computer bit the dust, and I'm on my phone. Please let me know if what I have is sufficient, or if something is off or if I'm missing something. Like I said earlier, I've never done this before.

Ty4on

Maybe a cheaper Sandy/Ivy Bridge Pentium. The 650 ti isn't very good for the price. For less you could go for the Radeon 7770 which is a little worse or you could go up a bit in price and go for the 7850. The 7850 1GB does ok, but struggles with some games like Skyrim with the high texture pack and possibly games in the future.

You can compare different GPUs here and of course google the names for different benchmarks. Also remember that AMD just came out with the 12.11 patch which increased performance quite a bit.

Edit: SSDs are really cheap now. A 128GB SSD is enough for the OS and some apps.

kharma45

Okay guys I've put something together theoretically. I want to be able to play fairly modern games at or above PS360 levels, on a reasonable budget. I'll be playing mostly indie steam games, along with Dark Souls and Portal 2 right off the bat. Again, it doesn't have to look amazing, but I can upgrade something on the list if it is cheap and worthwhile. I would also like to use a dual monitor setup only for watching twitch while having access to another full monitor. Also, what will I need to upgrade if I wanted to emulate PS2 and possibly Wii? Will this due?

Sorry I cannot provide links, my old computer bit the dust, and I'm on my phone. Please let me know if what I have is sufficient, or if something is off or if I'm missing something. Like I said earlier, I've never done this before.

7850 is a better buy than the 650Ti.

You'd be better going Intel too over AMD.

Down the rabbit hole I go! OS installation day and I already have a massive backlog of games lol.

Question: I want to use mt PS3 controller so what is the best solution for this? Can I expect rumble? BT?

Okay I switched a few things around. The intel is the same price as the AMD.

CASE: Corsair 300r
GPU: 7850
CPU: i3 2100 3.3 ghz

The upgrade at GPU will make it slightly more expensive, but I'm okay with it. Will this build allow me to play Dark Souls at a good looking resolution, 30-60 FPS?

Also, do I need to add anything to have a dual monitor setup, not for games, but just for streaming in movies/twitch?

mr.beers

Had my video card burn up last month and needed a new one ASAP got the EVGA GTX 560 2GB at best buy and the month return policy is up so I am stuck with it. How does it compare to other 560 and ti models? Couldn't find any comparisons online.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay guys I've put something together theoretically. I want to be able to play fairly modern games at or above PS360 levels, on a reasonable budget.
Price out an i3 system. That processor you have in there is ancient and very outdated. OP, budget build.

We don't have Intel over AMD in there because we have an agenda or are fans of brands. The AMD processors suffer from what is called 'Frame Latency'. Read more here if you are interested. Vishera (their newest chips) have gotten a lot better with this though, so I'm pretty hopeful we might see a good resurgence of AMD for budget builds in the near future.
Had my video card burn up last month and needed a new one ASAP got the EVGA GTX 560 2GB at best buy and the month return policy is up so I am stuck with it. How does it compare to other 560 and ti models? Couldn't find any comparisons online.
Not well.

kharma45

Okay I switched a few things around. The intel is the same price as the AMD.

CASE: Corsair 300r
GPU: 7850
CPU: i3 2100 3.3 ghz

The upgrade at GPU will make it slightly more expensive, but I'm okay with it. Will this build allow me to play Dark Souls at a good looking resolution, 30-60 FPS?

Also, do I need to add anything to have a dual monitor setup, not for games, but just for streaming in movies/twitch?

Where are you buying your stuff from?

Also, you'll need to change that motherboard too for an Intel CPU, it's an AMD one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom