• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSeuss

I'd get a 7950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006

Or if you want to spend less there is the 7870 XT which is almost as good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024

660/660Ti are the Nvidia options in that range but AMD offers better VFM especially with the bundled games.

That's the card I'm looking at, actually! It sucks that I preordered Bioshock Infinite on GMG already (it was $15 off and included the previous Bioshocks, which I gifted to my little brother).

I wonder what I'd do with it.

Koroviev

That's the card I'm looking at, actually! It sucks that I preordered Bioshock Infinite on GMG already (it was $15 off and included the previous Bioshocks, which I gifted to my little brother).

I wonder what I'd do with it.

Sell it for profit.

knitoe

What's the best router? After a year, my Linksys E4200 seems to be dying. Want something that doesn't run warm/hot the Linksys. Right now, I am looking at Apple AirPort Extreme, Netgear R6300 or Asus RT-AC660U

What made RAM prices increase a bit? Was looking at 2 x 4 gb sticks today and they mostly seem to be in the $50-60 range instead of ~$38-$48 or so that they were before.

Smokey

20130301_203930_zps7821479c.jpg

My h100 radiator lmao :eek:

Holy crap.. I've stared at this thing for 5 minutes

AkIRA_22

Damn, nearly an hour. I get that they're trying to be thorough, but I don't really have the patience for hour-long+ how-to videos :\

That's kind of Tom's thing, long in depth videos. I like it personally, he points out things other don't with their crappy unboxings (seriously who give a fuck what's in the box) and simple 7 minute reviews. Plus he leans heavily to water cooling, which is great for those who do it.

Oxn

Im having trouble calibrating these IPS 1440p monitors.

If I leave it on default setting my games look perfect, but for viewing webpages or anything with alot of White in the background it is too bright.

If I lower the brightness so that it dont hurt my eyes when viewing the web, my games are too dark.

Dunno what to do.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
20130301_203930_zps7821479c.jpg

My h100 radiator lmao :eek:

Holy crap.. I've stared at this thing for 5 minutes

MOTHER OF ALL SARDINES

I have been really picky about my H100i. I've already cleaned it twice in 4 weeks. I think I will try and keep this maintenance up on all the case fans as well. The only thing I need is dust filter as the 2 SP120's on the H100i are intakes and I'm sure I could do myself some favors by having a dust filter. I am getting some dust in the case. I wish I didn't have to deal with it and things looked pristine all the time.

DSN2K

just got windows 7 installed on my new PC, first time Ive used a SSD before...its insane the speed difference...I shall never return.

kennah

Jesus. Just played Binary Domain on my new 670 4gig SC... 3200x1600 downsampled to 1080p and every setting cranked up to full and I still get screen tearing from it rendering so fast. I have only ever owned mid-low end cards before. This is a whole new dangerous world.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Query: what kind of framerate improvement would I be looking at going SLI GTX 570?

I ask because I plan to spread out next generation much as I did this: keep my current system for as long as possible, then about halfway through the next generation do a full upgrade to put myself back in the high end game.

However, an incremental boost isn't out of the question.

I currently own a GTX 570. I'd rather not go out and spend AU$400+ on an entirely new video card, not when I'd be doing the same thing in a couple of years. So what's the value in grabbing another GTX 570 and running SLI?

I don't really know anything about SLI as I've never done it before. I don't know if it's one of those things half the games I play won't play well with (thus rendering a bit of a useless money sink for me), or if the frame increase is trivial. I'd be playing at 1920x1080. I'm also not sure of the power draw, though suspect my Corsair 650W PSU probably couldn't hack two GPUs along with everything else.

Thoughts?

Paskil

I heart this thread and will be going back through some of the pages on breaks at work. Congrats to all the people building and using this thread to upgrade their computers. Thanks for the link to pcpartpicker as I didn't know about that and will be putting something together over the next week or so that I will be purchasing at some point in the next few months.

Wooooo! What a great feeling to have everything put together and running. It took all day but i had fun!

Thanks everyone in this thread that answered all my questions along the way. I really appreciate it.

Finally at a stopping point for the night I think. Got windows installed and updated(106 updates lol), downloaded drivers, and played around with some settings. Tomorrow i will run some benchmarks and stuff - hopefully my performance falls in line where it should and nothing is wrong.

Any particular tests i should run or stuff i should look out for? Only one i planned on running was 3Dmark11

scogoth

Jesus. Just played Binary Domain on my new 670 4gig SC... 3200x1600 downsampled to 1080p and every setting cranked up to full and I still get screen tearing from it rendering so fast. I have only ever owned mid-low end cards before. This is a whole new dangerous world.

Sounds like its time for a 120Hz monitor

mkenyon

Banned
Glad you are enjoying it!
Sounds like its time for a 120Hz monitor
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Query: what kind of framerate improvement would I be looking at going SLI GTX 570?

I ask because I plan to spread out next generation much as I did this: keep my current system for as long as possible, then about halfway through the next generation do a full upgrade to put myself back in the high end game.

However, an incremental boost isn't out of the question.

I currently own a GTX 570. I'd rather not go out and spend AU$400+ on an entirely new video card, not when I'd be doing the same thing in a couple of years. So what's the value in grabbing another GTX 570 and running SLI?

I don't really know anything about SLI as I've never done it before. I don't know if it's one of those things half the games I play won't play well with (thus rendering a bit of a useless money sink for me), or if the frame increase is trivial. I'd be playing at 1920x1080. I'm also not sure of the power draw, though suspect my Corsair 650W PSU probably couldn't hack two GPUs along with everything else.

Thoughts?
Yeah, you'd have to upgrade your PSU. At that point you are looking at a fairly pricey upgrade. Have you thought about picking up a used 670, 7950, or 7970? How's shipping from the US or EU to AUS? Lots of PC GAF will be having some extra cards due to the Titan release.

SLI can be trickey, but 9/10 times it works like a charm. You get a whole frame of input lag as well, if you are sensitive to that. Check out this thread on the potential problems:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=512976
The titans are making their way to a old new home. They are moving to a better space :p
You need to set up a photo booth or at least good space and take some glory shots of that beautiful case with Titans in it. Pro tip: load up a white screen on monitors for a really nicely diffused light for photos. I think you should manage with 4 to use, one being 30"

Well after saving some money and a little input from my tax return, my fiance has decided that it is now time to build. Ordering parts as we speak!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, you'd have to upgrade your PSU. At that point you are looking at a fairly pricey upgrade. Have you thought about picking up a used 670, 7950, or 7970? How's shipping from the US or EU to AUS? Lots of PC GAF will be having some extra cards due to the Titan release.

SLI can be trickey, but 9/10 times it works like a charm. You get a whole frame of input lag as well, if you are sensitive to that. Check out this thread on the potential problems:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=512976

Cheers dude. Postage to Australia is probably a bit shitty. I'd much prefer to buy locally, especially for warranty.

But a GTX 670 is doable, especially if I sell my GTX 570 afterwards. I should be able to get at least AU$150 for it, which will take down the overall price I'd have spent on a GTX 670. My PSU should be enough to power, yeah?

I'll need to investigate the 670 a bit.

EDIT: Okay, I can grab the Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB for AU$379.00. It's on a small sale, usually $20 more. My system: i5 2500K @4.3GHz, 8GB DDR3, Corsair HX 650W. Should I pull the trigger?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Lots of PC GAF will be having some extra cards due to the Titan release.

I'm very interested in picking up a used 670 or 7970. Where will the people offloading their old cards be posting about it? The Titan thread?

mkenyon

Banned
Cheers dude. Postage to Australia is probably a bit shitty. I'd much prefer to buy locally, especially for warranty.

But a GTX 670 is doable, especially if I sell my GTX 570 afterwards. I should be able to get at least AU$150 for it, which will take down the overall price I'd have spent on a GTX 670. My PSU should be enough to power, yeah?

I'll need to investigate the 670 a bit.

EDIT: Okay, I can grab the Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB for AU$379.00. It's on a small sale, usually $20 more. My system: i5 2500K @4.3GHz, 8GB DDR3, Corsair HX 650W. Should I pull the trigger?
It will be fairly comparable to the performance you'd get with SLI 570s without the SLI hiccups.

They can still choke a bit when it comes to loading the VRAM. It is very much a spiritual successor to the 560Ti in terms of what kind of setups it shines in.

However, if you do find yourself wanting a bit more performance out of it, you could easily SLI it with a 650W PSU. One of the great benefits of Kepler is that they sip power.

FWIW, I had a 670 setup and I wasn't wanting in any way for more power. I'd even disable the second card fairly often and still get consistent 8.3ms frames (120Hz) in most esport type titles.

Its a great card.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Speaking of 670s, is this as good of a deal as it seems?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7621670&CatId=7387

I know it's reference cooling, but that's still the cheapest I've seen a 670 in a while. I'm thinking it'd be unwise to buy a graphics card now when I won't do the rest of the build for another month or so since graphics card prices seem to fluctuate more than most other components. Am I correct in thinking this?

I don't know if anyone does any after effects work but last night I rendered something that took an hour. I thought that was pretty fast considering it would have taken 8 hours on my MacBook Pro. But I just turned on the GPU acceleration and the file rendered in 20 minutes. Fucking amazing. I can't wait to see how fast it would be when I OC

EatChildren

It will be fairly comparable to the performance you'd get with SLI 570s without the SLI hiccups.

They can still choke a bit when it comes to loading the VRAM. It is very much a spiritual successor to the 560Ti in terms of what kind of setups it shines in.

However, if you do find yourself wanting a bit more performance out of it, you could easily SLI it with a 650W PSU. One of the great benefits of Kepler is that they sip power.

FWIW, I had a 670 setup and I wasn't wanting in any way for more power. I'd even disable the second card fairly often and still get consistent 8.3ms frames (120Hz) in most esport type titles.

Its a great card.

Because of you, I now have this ordered.

gxy-gtx670-2gd5-gc-th4ls5e.jpg

zoku88

Just wondering, does anyone know any other site that give out detailed reviews of monitors besides tftcentral and anandtech?

iavi

Crossfire performance has me kind of regretting going with team red, honestly. The 7950 is the best bang for the single card buck right now, but it'd be an absolutely killer deal if Xfire was up to par.

AMD c'mon I want to buy another one

IMACOMPUTA

Was just playing bf3 and my pc shut off. It won't turn back on now. I opened the case and holy hell the psu is nearly on fire it's so hot.
I recently bought one of those Korean monitors and noticed a weird smell ever since. I thought it was just the cheap psu on the monitor. Looking back, I think it was my psu cooking for the last week or so. Oops.

I guess I had this coming, running crossfired 6950s on a 550w coolermaster power supply.

Are there any great deals on psu's right now? I'd love to go modular if the price is right.

Kerrinck

Hope this is the right place to ask this.
Can anyone tell what is the best way to clean my pc?
I keep smelling something like burnt dust from it so I am sure a cleaning is due.

Addnan

Took the plunge, ordered a mechanical keyboard (Quickfire TK) this morning. Costs so much more than this cheap membrane logitech thing I am using. Should be here Monday morning, hope its worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom