• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
What's the difference between WD drives? There's a 3TB "Red" drive for 140$ that I'm tempted to pick up
Blue = run of the mill, not rock solid reliable
Black = Really reliable and speedy, loud as hell
Green = Variable speed, not good for RAID, good storage value, not reliable
Red = Fixed speed with firmware that works specifically with NAS, do not use outside of NAS
RE4 = Enterprise drive, most reliable.

Also, the larger the platter, the less reliable. As a rule of thumb.

kharma45

Got some of the 30nm Samsung RAM on the way, just felt the need to buy something and I can't keep using my brothers RAM forever...

Man, so bloody close to pulling the trigger on a new, portable PC(that small form factor piece in the OP is superb). Thing is, I'm not ready to invest in a new graphics card, so I might stick with the GTX460 I have in my desktop at home, which likely means gaming at sub-1080p resolutions. How does 720p look on a 1080p screen? Do the pixels match up evenly or is it a notably blurry mess?

Vossler

First 15 minutes would be pure laughter from the pros in here... followed by a nice nap when you guys finally get bored with how slow I am moving!

You'll be fine, it really is an easy process. As stated, lookup on your phone/post here and use the manuals. Also, don't forget to plug in the CPU power cable.....happened to me the first time I put one together, and I was wtf?

Dave_6

Since I will be using a reference card in my R4, I'm guessing that I will need more than the two stock fans that are provided right? I was going to add another one to the front and put one on the top next to the rear one (two more 140mm R2 fans).

theytookourjobz

Anybody have a PC that's as quiet as a PS3 or 360? Mine is so damn loud. Probably the video card? Sapphire 6870? Are there quiet cards out there?

mkenyon

Banned
Since I will be using a reference card in my R4, I'm guessing that I will need more than the two stock fans that are provided right? I was going to add another one to the front and put one on the top next to the rear one (two more 140mm R2 fans).
Nope, the stock fans will suffice. You'd want additional fans for non-reference cards, as they dump the heat into your system as opposed to exhausting it out of the back.
Anybody have a PC that's as quiet as a PS3 or 360? Mine is so damn loud. Probably the video card? Sapphire 6870? Are there quiet cards out there?
I have one that is ambient noise level.

It's a combination of case, case fans, CPU cooler (fan), and video card.

kharma45

Man, so bloody close to pulling the trigger on a new, portable PC(that small form factor piece in the OP is superb). Thing is, I'm not ready to invest in a new graphics card, so I might stick with the GTX460 I have in my desktop at home, which likely means gaming at sub-1080p resolutions. How does 720p look on a 1080p screen? Do the pixels match up evenly or is it a notably blurry mess?

You'll still be able to do 1080p with the 460

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/542

Didn't notice this till now, but the ram that came free with my mobo is a single 8GB stick. Is that good or bad or irrelevant?

It says in the manual if only one slot is installed it can't activate dual channel memory technology. Is this something that wil impact the performance of my system? I got a microcenter right down the street i can go snag another 8GB stick(overkill) or 2 4GB's

Blue = run of the mill, not rock solid reliable
Black = Really reliable and speedy, loud as hell
Green = Variable speed, not good for RAID, good storage value, not reliable
Red = Fixed speed with firmware that works specifically with NAS, do not use outside of NAS
RE4 = Enterprise drive, most reliable.

Also, the larger the platter, the less reliable. As a rule of thumb.

Thanks. I guess I'll hold off. I'm worried about space because I edit a lot of videos/photos but I guess with 8 trays I shouldn't be...

kennah

Didn't notice this till now, but the ram that came free with my mobo is a single 8GB stick. Is that good or bad or irrelevant?

It says in the manual if only one slot is installed it can't activate dual channel memory technology. Is this something that wil impact the performance of my system? I got a microcenter right down the street i can go snag another 8GB stick(overkill) or 2 4GB's

This is why I was trying to talk people out of that deal :) Grab another 8gig stick, but make sure it is the exact same as you have now.

mkenyon

Banned
What is the most aesthetic cubed/smaller case with enough room for larger PSU and 2-3 VC's?
In addtion to Kennah's advice, check out the Lian Li V750, and Cubitek Magic Cube AIO. Not quite cubes, but they're non-standard design and extremely space efficient.

You'll still be able to do 1080p with the 460

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/542

Huh, neat!

One other thing; combining RAM sticks. I've 4gb of RAM in my home desktop. I was thinking of moving a stick out of that PC into a new one, along with a new stick or two. Is this possible or are RAM sticks designed to work only with their own models?
It's fine, brand isn't a factor only the type of RAM, ie DDR3 with DDR3.

Good to know, thanks.

kharma45

Huh, neat!

One other thing; combining RAM sticks. I've 4gb of RAM in my home desktop. I was thinking of moving a stick out of that PC into a new one, along with a new stick or two. Is this possible or are RAM sticks designed to work only with their own models?

It's fine, brand isn't a factor only the type of RAM, ie DDR3 with DDR3.

Well, that was a $50 "mistake". Yay for ram overkill lol... Lesson learned - pay more attention to free stuff in a bundle!

At least it was $10 off at microcenter

Addnan

Which switch type should I go with?

The CM Storm quickfire comes in cherry mx brown and red or I can get a Ducky G2 Pro which comes in mx blue. I game, but I type quite a bit too. and I don't really have a local shop that I can go test them out in :/

Vossler

The CM Storm quickfire comes in cherry mx brown and red or I can get a Ducky G2 Pro which comes in mx blue. I game, but I type quite a bit too. and I don't really have a local shop that I can go test them out in :/

I recently bought the CM Storm with cherry brown and love it. I find red to be not "solid" feeling enough, and blue to be too loud/clicky.

garath

I have the Quickfire pro red swtiches and I really like it. I suspect I would also really like the brown too. The red are very sensitive. Great for gaming though.

mkenyon

Banned

Browns if you want some feedback for typing. The reds are just linear.

Alternatively, you can order a set of switches from wasdkeyboards to test each one for yourself.

Addnan

Thanks guys, I think I will go with the browns. See how they are. Now to find someone that has it in stock. Most UK retailers seem to be sold out of the brown quickfire rapid and only taking pre orders!

Anyone use the Quickfire TK? Seems to be in stock somewhere.

Zeth

Thanks guys, I think I will go with the browns. See how they are. Now to find someone that has it in stock. Most UK retailers seem to be sold out of the brown quickfire rapid and only taking pre orders!

Anyone use the Quickfire TK? Seems to be in stock somewhere.

I've heard good things about the TK, and it was recommended to me here. It's backlit unlike the Rapid. I'm going with browns for my first mech keyboard too, btw.

On my SATA2 connectors there was a little sticker that says "for better performance and short boot up time, we suggest you connect the HDD on SATA port 0~5 as boot device"

what does that mean? I have a few SATA3 connectors as well... where am i plugging my HDD in? So confused right now :/

Ty4on

On my SATA2 connectors there was a little sticker that says "for better performance and short boot up time, we suggest you connect the HDD on SATA port 0~5 as boot device"

what does that mean? I have a few SATA3 connectors as well... where am i plugging my HDD in? So confused right now :/

Suggesting that you use SATA 3 for boot drives because they are faster.

comu

Neo Member
Hi, I'm planning on having two hard drives in RAID1 for my first ever build. I've heard others talk about it here but don't know how to set it up.

Any useful websites?

Thanks in advance.

mkenyon

Banned
Your motherboard manual will have directions. There's lots of RAID controllers, and setting up each one is different. It's a very straightforward process though.

Can matter if you have a board with two intel ports and four 3. party ports, but I know too little to tell you how wrong/right any would be :p

I have an ASRock Z77 Pro 4 - are you by chance familiar with that?

Also, question for anyone... my USB 3.0 connector wont seem to go in. I can plug in about half way but it wont seat flush. No matter how hard i push and i dont want to break anything. Seems counter intuitive to have it only go in about half way :(

edit---

nvm, guess that is just the way it fits. I measured the depth of the connector slot on the board and its just too shallow. That is as far as the plug will go in. I hope that doesnt cause any issues

Pandemic

22" is large - check
1680x1050 is high res - check

Nah, save the $200 to put more into the GPU. At this point you're like me. The only real difference will be to move on to 1440p.

You can always downsample your images for greater IQ.

Perfect, thanks for the response, much appreciated.

I have the TP-Link and it works well. I'm getting 49/22 out of the 50/25 claim from Fios with Pings from 7-15ms. I'm about 20 feet away with a wall and a floor in between the Fios router and my computer.

I just tested my work's LAN. 4ms ping and 94 down, 71 up...

Oh awesome, that sounds good. I have two walls between the computer and router, so it'll have to be good haha.

Thanks for the response mate.

DocSeuss

I just received my financial aid check from school, which is great timing, since my GPU's starting to act a bit wonky on my desktop.

Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than $275 US... less if possible. What's my best performance-per-dollar option?

kharma45

I just received my financial aid check from school, which is great timing, since my GPU's starting to act a bit wonky on my desktop.

Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than $275 US... less if possible. What's my best performance-per-dollar option?

I'd get a 7950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006

Or if you want to spend less there is the 7870 XT which is almost as good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024

660/660Ti are the Nvidia options in that range but AMD offers better VFM especially with the bundled games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom