• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss_lemonade

A friend is building a computer mainly for video editing and I know next to nothing in that department. What would you guys suggest? I'm not sure about budget, but I'm guessing he isn't willing to spend a lot (maybe around $700 - $800 max)

I just upgraded from 9600gt to radeon hd7950. Looking forward to it.
You will be blown away

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just wanted to let any people thinking about putting together a new PC that I dropped the price of my ITX rig to $800(Local Only). Not sure if it is against the rules to post that here, so if it is I apologize and will delete the message.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49344501&postcount=4262

I won't make any further mentions to this.

If I hadn't gotten that incredible deal on that other PC, I would have probably ended up getting yours. I'm sure it'll sell. That's a great setup for a very reasonable price.

O hai.

CameraZOOM-20130307222215411_zpsea97beab.jpg

And also a much needed pickup:

CameraZOOM-20130307222851435_zps4ae91113.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh, that post reminded me. So I'm going to be using the 2TB WD Green that's currently the OS drive of my current PC as a storage drive on my new PC. When I have the OS running on an SSD on my new PC, will it be as simple as just clicking delete on the OS files in order to leave just my photos and music on the HDD? Or will I have to format the drive and transfer all my stuff back onto the HDD? Oh, and there are no partitions.
Also, could I just clone the programs and OS on the HDD to the SSD (without cloning all the other files on the HDD too)?

Sorry if my question is unclear. Heh

MisterNoisy

Woo. Finally completely done with my mITX build:

4HoG1wZ.jpg

M0wIgLl.jpg

- Intel Core i5 3570K under a Corsair H60 (new version)
- ASRock Z77E-ITX
- 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL10
- Sapphire Radeon HD7950 3GB
- Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
- WD Caviar Black 1TB
- Bitfenix Prodigy (Atomic Orange)
- Corsair HX650
- Xigmatek XAF 1253 fans

kennah

=P

This weekend I delid ivy bridge. Should be an adventure

Oooh that's exciting!

And holy shit. Installing the Hyper 212 dropped my temps by 30C. I was getting 60-70C idle and who knows how much under load with the Zalman 9700.

Huh. Well. OC'd my Q6600 from 2.4 to 3.3 with no change in temps (40 idle, 60 load). Got 300 points more in 3DMark. Maybe I'll play around with it more. Everytime I'd tried overclocking before I would get no change in Benchmarks. I guess my cooling wasn't up to the task before and it would downclock itself.

Before: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6039591

After: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6135421

Also it seems that most of the noise in my system before was the Zalman. The 670 is decently quiet under load.

M3z_

Thinking about opening up my PC sale to being willing to ship it insured through UPS. If I were to do that what would you recommend as the best packing method? I would definitely remove the video card, but other than that is there anything that should absolutely be removed?

ZfVSZXPl.jpg

Would it be safe to just stuff the inside with anti-static bubble wrap and ship the rest as is, or should I take out the CPU, or remove the h100? Everything is tightly screwed in so I feel like leaving the CPU and h100 mounted would be fine, but maybe I am crazy.

Anyone have experience shipping a PC?

mkenyon

Banned
This is what happens when someone says that my computer is dusty and cluttered :p
The Antec sticker on a Lian Li case is responsible for the death of 3 kittens.

*edit*
Hey Scogoth, check this out:

LL

Word on the street is that they are implementing the design aesthetics from the Zeus board. Black and Gold ASUS.

*evil cackle*

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can I get some feedback from UK PC GAF on how much its coating them to build a PC based on the higher end specs in the OP - the $1000 or maybe $1349 one?

Suairyu

Banned
I don't need a new PC.

I want to play Arma III and I do need a new CPU (and motherboard, I guess).

Also want to be able to play the quad-core optimised games (GTAIV etc.) I bought but didn't like the framerates of.

But new consoles are just coming out, and will likely push 8-core CPUs into the consumer front. But those aren't available yet.

My current CPU is an Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz. My graphics card is an ati 4850, which as I only play at 768p I find still serves me just fine in every game and I don't think I need to upgrade anytime soon.

So, my brief:

I want a cheap quad-core CPU and motherboard combination. I do not need to overclock.

It's only to last me for a few years (3ish, maybe) before 8core CPUs become common and cost-effective, not a long-term investment.

Ideally we're talking the £150 price point or less if it's possible. Not more than £200. Would prefer Intel.

I don't particularly want to step down at all from a 3Ghz clock speed, as emulation is important for me, and that tends to favour high clockspeed over multi-core efficiency.

Also, when new motherboard and CPU are bought, can I just swap in my current HDD without having to reinstall Windows, or would reformat be the best course of action?

Getting a new desktop made to order. Specifically for gaming.

Case: NZXT PHANTOM 410 WHITE GAMING CASE http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.overclock.net/5/56/56a4805a_1Phantom410.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.overclock.net/t/876350/official-nzxt-phantom-owners-club/7000&h=752&w=518&sz=69&tbnid=BZygSW96_yk0hM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=63&zoom=1&usg=__S4PtN18m-AGqjeV3yRaRxn7T0cg=&docid=T-fBfvx7_cyOLM&sa=X&ei=CMU5UaGPB4yU0QXa94CYBw&ved=0CE4Q9QEwBQ&dur=1379 Tired of black cases.
Overclocked CPU: Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-3770k Quad Core (3.50GHz @ max 4.60GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS® P8Z77-V LK: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory: 8GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT) Might double later.
Graphics Card: GTX670. Might upgrade or go Sli.
Hard Disk: 180GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk: 2TB Samsung
BLU-RAY Drive: 4x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ROM
Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE Will need to change if I go Sli.
Processor Cooling: Corsair H40 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1

I have no intention on having a new PC until 2017 after this build.

Shaka

Hey guys, I wanna buy a new pc (mainly gaming 3ds max and mudbox)
Would I be good with this build?

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Motherboard
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti WF2 2GB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB SATA DVDRW Drive
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W Modular HCG-520M

scogoth

The Antec sticker on a Lian Li case is responsible for the death of 3 kittens.

*edit*
Hey Scogoth, check this out:

LL

Word on the street is that they are implementing the design aesthetics from the Zeus board. Black and Gold ASUS.

*evil cackle*

Sorry out of money. This build is finalized, after PSU sleeving, redoing the waterloop and delidding.

Next build will be all white I think

Alacrity

Neo Member
So my Asus motherboard is bad, I just got it from newegg, should I RMA it through Newegg, or ASUS? which one would be faster?

Thanks guys

Timan

Developer
I need some help, trying to get more ram in my brothers pc. He currently has this in his machine (was purchased 3 years ago, and can no longer find it in stock anywhere).

OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 6GB GOLD LOW-VOLTAGE TRIPLE CHANNEL
1600MHz DDR3
CL 8-8-8-24

It seems ram with 8 cas latency is hard to come by "cheaply" so I'm wondering if I purchase ram with 9 cas latency, is it going to be an issue? Its triple channel memory if that matters/helps.

Akai__

That's what you get for living in Europe and especially Denmark that have some of the highest prices on electronics in the world : P

The GTX Titan would alone be over 1300$ if converted to US dollar + add about 750$ for the screen.

Oh god why, even a different colored DVD drive kills me.

I know this problem. Not that the parts are expensive here in Germany, but I can't find any shop or website, which has sometimes good deals. I wish, I woud live in the US, because the deals are incredible there and that fairly often.

If you wouldn't pay a lot for stupid duty fee here, I would pretty much order everything in the US, besides the Power Supply, which wouldn't fit.

scogoth

I need some help, trying to get more ram in my brothers pc. He currently has this in his machine (was purchased 3 years ago, and can no longer find it in stock anywhere).

OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 6GB GOLD LOW-VOLTAGE TRIPLE CHANNEL
1600MHz DDR3
CL 8-8-8-24

It seems ram with 8 cas latency is hard to come by "cheaply" so I'm wondering if I purchase ram with 9 cas latency, is it going to be an issue? Its triple channel memory if that matters/helps.

I have that exact same kit but I stole the heatsinks off them. If you are ok with red gskill heatsinks I can give them to you

GMM

Banned
I know this problem. Not that the parts are expensive here in Germany, but I can't find any shop or website, which has sometimes good deals. I wish, I woud live in the US, because the deals are incredible there and that fairly often.

If you wouldn't pay a lot for stupid duty fee here, I would pretty much order everything in the US, besides the Power Supply, which wouldn't fit.

I think i got a fair price on most of it, the same computer would be about 3500$ on Newegg, so tax in the duty fee or just normal taxes and its pretty much the same in terms of price.

Cant wait for monday to get here so i can assemble the beast.

I did make some changes though. I couldn't get another M4 SSD, so i opted for a Samsung 840 Pro 128 instead and changed the G.Skill ram to Kingston HyperX Beast ram due to delivery issues.

Koroviev

I don't need a new PC.

I want to play Arma III and I do need a new CPU (and motherboard, I guess).

Also want to be able to play the quad-core optimised games (GTAIV etc.) I bought but didn't like the framerates of.

But new consoles are just coming out, and will likely push 8-core CPUs into the consumer front. But those aren't available yet.

My current CPU is an Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz. My graphics card is an ati 4850, which as I only play at 768p I find still serves me just fine in every game and I don't think I need to upgrade anytime soon.

So, my brief:

I want a cheap quad-core CPU and motherboard combination. I do not need to overclock.

It's only to last me for a few years (3ish, maybe) before 8core CPUs become common and cost-effective, not a long-term investment.

Ideally we're talking the £150 price point or less if it's possible. Not more than £200. Would prefer Intel.

I don't particularly want to step down at all from a 3Ghz clock speed, as emulation is important for me, and that tends to favour high clockspeed over multi-core efficiency.

Also, when new motherboard and CPU are bought, can I just swap in my current HDD without having to reinstall Windows, or would reformat be the best course of action?

GTAIV isn't optimized for anything. It's just an awful port.

And yes, I would recommend a fresh install.

asdad123

One last question. Ill be buying my motherboard/cpu this weekend. Im getting a 3570k and am wondering if it is worth the extra $40 to get the ASRock Extreme4 over the Pro4?

Akai__

I think i got a fair price on most of it, the same computer would be about 3500$ on Newegg, so tax in the duty fee or just normal taxes and its pretty much the same in terms of price.

Cant wait for monday to get here so i can assemble the beast.

I did make some changes though. I could get another M4 SSD, so i opted for a Samsung 840 Pro 128 instead and changed the G.Skill ram to Kingston HyperX Beast ram due to delivery issues.

Have fun with it and make sure you post pictures of that. ;)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
One last question. Ill be buying my motherboard/cpu this weekend. Im getting a 3570k and am wondering if it is worth the extra $40 to get the ASRock Extreme4 over the Pro4?

If you value some of the extras the higher priced boards offer in terms of use and "reliability" then I would spend the extra 40. You will be able to OC on either board so if your on a budget then I would try to shave a few dollars and opt for the lower priced board. I have this dilemma with a Sabertooth x79 and the ROG boards which cost from 60-140USD more than the eventual Sabertooth I settled on. I read a lot and watched tons and there was hardly anything that would sway me as I don't really intent to do 3 or 4xSLI even though I can do 3-way SLI on the Sabertooth.

The board has been rock solid for the 2 months I've had it.

Akai__

Hey did you get that little problem worked out?
herpes

I couldn't go yesterday, so I'm going now. If everything turns right, I won't pay anything, but my cousin says (he works at the customs office, but in an other city), that I will have to pay 19% of the original price, in worst case. We'll see, how much they are asking for it. If it's too much, I will tell them to return it to you, unfortunately.

If I really have to return it, don't worry, I will get over it. :)

JoseDFrog

Banned
I want to be banned from this thread so badly. I just bought a new case and it looks great but then mkenyon and kennah started talking about the Caselabs Mercury so I'm now jelly. I want to blow up my rig and start from scratch. Screw you guys.

kennah

I couldn't go yesterday, so I'm going now. If everything turns right, I won't pay anything, but my cousin says (he works at the customs office, but in an other city), that I will have to pay 19% of the original price, in worst case. We'll see, how much they are asking for it. If it's too much, I will tell them to return it to you, unfortunately.

If I really have to return it, don't worry, I will get over it. :)
I think I put a declared value of $50. Good luck!!

Jose what case did you get?

Dave_6

I'm going with either an H60 or Hyper 212 for my R4. Any big difference in either other than aesthetics and price?

Akai__

Outside on the international waybill. But yeah. Guess it wasn't enough for Germany :)

Then, I really don't understand, what the problem is. They send me a letter, which said, that the price declaration or the bill is missing.

Will go now, takes me about an hour to get back. I'll PM you afterwards.

Sorry, for shitting up the OT, with my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom