• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

1920 x 1080 is the resolution I play at. I, uh, don't know how to overclock.

I have no idea what CUDA is so I don't use it. As far as an SSD goes I tried installing one once but it didn't work right.

I've always bought the parts for my PC and had my brother build it for me. For the one I use now I bought it from Maingear.

If I were to get a new graphics card should I get the Nvidia Titan or a Nvidia 600 series?

To get a worthwhile upgrade from the 580 you'd pretty much have to go Titan.

But honestly your system is probably fine until the next series 7xx comes out.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks. Have you looked at the node? What would be your sweet spot in terms of size, if you wanted a quiet i5 with say a 670 and SSD+HDD?
I actually have two nodes sitting in my home office right now for separate builds.

I haven't played around with them too much yet, but on first inspection I think the Prodigy is still the case to get for a proper gaming machine. The FT03 mini is also incredibly tempting due to the shape of it.

If you are interested in mATX, I think the Silverstone PS07, TJ08, and SG09 are also great options. Not much larger than the roomy ITX cases, while offering all the benefits that mATX brings to the table.

Setre

Alright thanks guys, I'll wait to upgrade. I'll look at that video kharma45. Might also try installing an SSD again.

Do you guys think it's worth it in the long run to get Windows 8? I thought I remember reading somewhere that the next DirectX is going to be Windows 8 only.

mkenyon

Banned
Pic of the Gigabyte Z87 UP7 prototype:

900x900px-LL-e9fdc6bc_28927_03_gigabyte_s_z87_motherboard_is_ready_for_some_extreme_overclocking_meet_the_z87x_oc_full.jpeg

Asrock Extreme6 Z87:

Z87 UD5:

MSI's Prototype:

gilljoy

Ok stupid question guys,

Got my 7970 and i've installed it and it seems to be working fine BUT since installing it I've got another weird issue, my CPU cooler seems to be running at 100% all of the time and its seriously loud! I also get stability issues and the game has started crashing out on crysis 3 when I'm trying to play.

Any suggestions of what could be causing this?

Edit ok another strange thing,

temps only go up about 15C when running prime, and the CPU fan is much quieter. This is strange any ideas?

mkenyon

Banned
Ok stupid question guys,

Got my 7970 and i've installed it and it seems to be working fine BUT since installing it I've got another weird issue, my CPU cooler seems to be running at 100% all of the time and its seriously loud! I also get stability issues and the game has started crashing out on crysis 3 when I'm trying to play.

Any suggestions of what could be causing this?

Edit ok another strange thing,

temps only go up about 15C when running prime, and the CPU fan is much quieter. This is strange any ideas?
You certain it's your CPU cooler and not your GPU?

Load up 3DMark/Heaven and HWMonitor, see what the load temps on either is.

xJavonta

Banned
Actually, what matters more than anything to this day is per-thread performance.

If you have a low clocked or inefficient (see: AMD) quad core, it'll get bested by a dual core that is higher clocked generally.

CPU bottlenecks in games are almost entirely exclusive to single/dual threaded engines with a few exceptions.

This is why we push people towards the 2500K/3570K. At 4.5GHz, you're pretty much pushing the limits of what a modern day CPU can accomplish, no matter how much money you throw at it.
Yup. My little i3-2100 beats out my buddy's Phenom II X4 Black Edition.

gilljoy

You certain it's your CPU cooler and not your GPU?

Load up 3DMark/Heaven and HWMonitor, see what the load temps on either is.

Yeah it looks like its my GPU :(

I've just opened up HW monitor whilst sitting at my desktop with nothing open in the background bar real temp, msi afterburner's monitoring tool. And it sitting at 100% GPU usage whilst idling on the desktop.

Suairyu

Banned
Also, my PC is using DDR 2 ram. Am I correct in presuming that if I switched to a more recent motherboard like Z77, I'd need to buy DDR3 ram as a replacement? Or could the DDR2 still be used for now?

Not that ram seems to be expensive at all these days.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm 99% sure you'd have to buy DDR3 memory. Aren't the pins laid out differently?

100% have to buy new ram, ddr has a different pin layout.

Source:
ddr3ram.jpg
Cool, thanks.

Does RAM still need to be installed in pairs, like 2x2gig, or could I just shove a 1x4gig in there?

Though I think I'd probably go for 8gigs minimum, as I'm starting to dabble more in video and photo editing.

xJavonta

Banned
100% have to buy new ram, ddr has a different pin layout.

Source:
ddr3ram.jpg
Holy shit I was right? I feel smart :lol

Cool, thanks.

Does RAM still need to be installed in pairs, like 2x2gig, or could I just shove a 1x4gig in there?

Though I think I'd probably go for 8gigs minimum, as I'm starting to dabble more in video and photo editing.

You'd probably want an even number of sticks to enable dual channel operation.
This.

Luigiv

So my old PC kicked the bucket late last year and I think now is the right time to build a new one.

So I was thinking of buying a:
  • Core i7 3770k,
  • Galaxy GTX 670,
  • 2x 8GB Kingston DDR3,
  • Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Z77 Motherboard,
  • 850W Cooler Master silent pro II PSU,
  • NZXT Switch 810 case,
  • 1TB HDD & BD drive

And then reusing my peripherals and HDD from my old computer.

Looks good on paper but I have some reservations.

For one, this all comes out to around $1600 (LoL Aussie pricing "-_-), which is more than I'd really like to spend but at the same time, with next gen around the corner, I don't really want to compromise on performance either. Is there anywhere I'm unwisely spending money or should I stick to my guts?

Also, with Haswell and the GTX700 series on the horizon, I don't know if I should wait bit longer or not. I kind of need a new PC now for my studies (CAD course) but I can make due without one if need be. So will they really be worth the wait or am I well off enough with my current plan to not bother?

So what do you guys think? Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So I ended up buying this rig, more or less as I listed it except I got a different case. I didn't really like the Switch 810 case when I finally saw it in person; It was way too big, the plastic was nasty and I couldn't figure out how to get to the accessory ports or adjust the airflow; so I went with a CoolerMaster 912 HAF instead. Whilst pretty ugly and was a little tight to wire in I'm finding it a pretty good fit for my needs.

So far so good. I kept my old hdds from my previous PC so I managed to move over my steam library (and other games for that matter) pretty painlessly. Though I'm finding some games simply wont boot up, and that's after Steam already forced me to reconfigure them for "efficiency" (I'm guessing that's switching them to 64bit code). Might have to do a fresh install on those.

And finally last point: Still can't run Crysis (the original) at 60fps, max setting. Maybe I need to lower the AA a bit. :/

Finished the window on my Arc mini today.

Well for the first try it's not bad. The lower right corner broke off while drilling the hole for the screw. And the panel got some scratches. So there's lots of room for improvement :)

Crappy cell phone pic:

img_1395pksj4.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
And finally last point: Still can't run Crysis (the original) at 60fps, max setting. Maybe I need to lower the AA a bit. :/
Last I checked, max settings (very high) was incompatible with AA due to the foliage, so all you'd be doing is AA-ing only part of the image. Super-sample that game or bust! (unless something has changed in the two years since I played it)

So, about that 3570K ;)
Would it make such a difference over your recommendation for ebay trawling for a 2500K? Then again I see only a £10 price difference brand new, so it's almost negligible price difference. Can ebay savings be had to as extreme a level as the 2500K?

mkenyon

Banned

Well for the first try it's not bad. The lower right corner broke off while drilling the hole for the screw. And the panel got some scratches. So there's lots of room for improvement :)

Crappy cell phone pic:
Looks good!

If you want to clean up the side panel cut, just put some rubber U-Channel on it. Find it at mnpctech.com.

xJavonta

Banned

Crappy cell phone pic:

[]http://www.abload.de/img/img_1395pksj4.jpg[/]
Nice! Just a suggestion, I would've put the window inside instead. Looks cleaner IMO

Dave_6

Crappy cell phone pic:

img_1395pksj4.jpg

Looks good! I like the look of that mobo too.

Which cooler are you using?

kharma45

Would it make such a difference over your recommendation for ebay trawling for a 2500K? Then again I see only a £10 price difference brand new, so it's almost negligible price difference. Can ebay savings be had to as extreme a level as the 2500K?

If you're buying new there's no reason to consider the 2500K.

eBay you can get a good deal on them, like I did for £120 on a brand new one but that took me about 3-4 weeks of checking every single day to get.

Crappy cell phone pic:

img_1395pksj4.jpg

Nice :) hi 5 for a Be Quiet! PSU, we're one of the few in here with one!

Suairyu

Banned
If you're buying new there's no reason to consider the 2500K.

eBay you can get a good deal on them, like I did for £120 on a brand new one but that took me about 3-4 weeks of checking every single day to get.
Yeah, even buying from somewhere like CEX I can get the 2500k for £145, and one on ebay for £150, which at £30ish is not a saving to be sniffed at. I'm just clarifying there are no performance differences that would negate such a large saving.

kharma45

Yeah, even buying from somewhere like CEX I can get the 2500k for £145, which at £30ish is not a saving to be sniffed at. I'm just clarifying there are no performance differences that would negate such a large saving.

10% clock for clock in favour of the 3570K if I remember correctly, and you lose out on PCIe 3 (although few GPUs on the market can saturate PCIe 2).

Ever since I updated to 314.07 my drivers have been crashing every few minutes whenever VLC, a game, or any other graphically demanding program is open. Decided to rollback to my previous drivers but the problem persisted. Finally I did a system restore till before the update.

Based on what had changed it was possibly the Nvidia HD Audio drivers, as I uninstalled every other driver before rollingback and that didn't fix anything.

Guess I'll wait a few until I actually need new drivers, till then I'll stick to 310.70.

Suairyu

Banned
I would have to concur, but it was worth mentioning just in case you had any GPU plans down the line.
Down the line, sure. Once the next "this will suit you fine until the very end of the current console generation" card has been decided, such as my HD4850 has been, I'll be looking to replace it. Maybe PCIe3 will be a thing by then?

In other news, my E8400 seems to do just fine with Arma III in singleplayer, but I know that's super-deceptive.

mkenyon

Banned
Down the line, sure. Once the next "this will suit you fine until the very end of the current console generation" card has been decided, such as my HD4850 has been, I'll be looking to replace it. Maybe PCIe3 will be a thing by then?
I think I can almost definitively say that PCI-E 3.0 will indeed bottleneck the next Flagship cards, like the HD8970 and GTX 780.

Akai__

How is the order of announcemets in general?

1st new motherboards and then new CPU's?
OR
1st CPU's and then new motherboards?

Motherboards are looking good. Is anything else known about them?

Suairyu

Banned
Well, if I get a 2500K down into the £130, £140 range, I'd be looking at the following I guess:

CPU Intel i5 2500k 3.3GHz
£130/£140ish

RAM - Corsair Vengeance Blue 2x4GB
£51:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/memory-pc/ddr3-pc3-12800/1600mhz/cml8gx3m2a1600c9b.html

Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Pro4
£97:
http://www.ebuyer.com/398389-asrock-z77-pro4-socket-1155-vga-dvi-hdmi-7-1-channel-audio-atx-z77-pro4

Case fan - Corsair AF120 Low Noise (is this the same as "quiet edition"?)
£13.00:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cooling/fans/100mmplus/co-9050003-ww.html

For about £290/£300ish. Would this be the sensible course of action does everyone think? Getting a 3750K would be adding at least an extra £50, which could go towards any number of other things.

Is my choice of ram the most cost-effective or could I go cheaper without jeopardizing quality?

Hawk269

If anyone is getting a GTX690 or has one and have been thinking of going on Water, I have an extra Koolance Water Block for it. I had bought 2 blocks when I bought 2 690's, then settled and sold one 690. I totally forgot about the other block and found it the other day when going through some of my computer boxes while I was cleaning and organizing. It is brand new still in it's original box. If anyone is insterested in purchasing it, please PM.

abuC

I'm due for a refresher soon, and I was wondering with the new consoles being AMD powered, would it be better to get an AMD card on my next build?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I think I can almost definitively say that PCI-E 3.0 will indeed bottleneck the next Flagship cards, like the HD8970 and GTX 780.

But wikipedia says Haswell has PCIe 3.0. What kind of bottleneck are we talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom