• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

E8400

There's no way I should only be getting TEN FPS in Arma2 and 3 with everything off and everything turned down to minimum

That doesn't sound right at all.... *googles*

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,687620/ArmA-2-tested-Benchmarks-with-18-CPUs/Reviews/

Arma is CPU heavy, but you should be getting 20fps (6850 should be similar in performance to the 4890 used in the benchmark)

That said, since it is CPU heavy you should see a significant increase with your new setup.

Yay upgrading!

(but keep an eye out for good GPU deals)

Alacrity

Neo Member
I put together my build last night, and My Asus rampage iv gene doesnt recognize all 4 sticks of my ram. I tried all 4 sticks on the first slot and they all worked, initially it only recognized one stick, i took them out and re seated them all and now it recognizes 12 gbs.

any ideas?

kikonawa

I put together my build last night, and My Asus rampage iv gene doesnt recognize all 4 sticks of my ram. I tried all 4 sticks on the first slot and they all worked, initially it only recognized one stick, i took them out and re seated them all and now it recognizes 12 gbs.

any ideas?

Are they the same brand? Check your mobo user manual, maybe there is a limit.

Try a bios upgrad also

Chris R

GTX 670 DirectCU Mini... looks really tempting. Wonder if it will be any cheaper than the standard 670TOP... Might have to side grade (don't really overclock now, but the reduced thermals and saved space might be better for my rig now...)

mkenyon

Banned

any ideas?
Try out a single stick in each of the four slots to see if one of the slots is bad.
Posted in here earlier asking about computer advice but was never replied to (according to my User CP)...I'll repost now!

Looking to get into PC gaming over the next couple of months.
Living in Japan and thinking I will buy parts rather than go with very expensive pre-built systems. (Also don't want Windows 8 and thats all they offer)

Your Current Specs: Have a laptop, so I'll be starting afresh.
Budget: Japan, so maybe 100,000-200,000yen (up to $2000)
Main Use:
Gaming 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 4
HD Streaming 3
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 4
(If I didn't include it, I'm not interested in it)

Monitor Resolution: I will buy a new monitor, something in the price range, sharp and well designed.

Games: Interested in new games; Crysis 3 etc. Far Cry 3 and future-proofing for a year or so at least.

When will you build?: I can wait maybe up to 3 months from now.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, as long as its fairly simple to do.

Help me out guys! Much appreciated!
GET AN ABEE CASE

T180G.jpg

My White Whale.

But seriously, I don't know how part prices translate in Japan, but just pick the best build in the OP that you can afford. Something like the 'Excellent' with a better GPU hopefully.
GTX 670 DirectCU Mini... looks really tempting. Wonder if it will be any cheaper than the standard 670TOP... Might have to side grade (don't really overclock now, but the reduced thermals and saved space might be better for my rig now...)
Do they draw less power?

Watts dissipated is watts dissipated.

Alacrity

Neo Member
Try out a single stick in each of the four slots to see if one of the slots is bad.

If it doesn't boot one of the slots is bad? Cpu-z says I have 16384 MBytes on triple channel for memory. I'll try each slot.

EDIT: system doesn't boot when i have one stick in the b1 slot. I'm guessing my only choice is to RMA?

GCNemesis

ON7ymVP.png

What do you guys think about this? Coming from a Core 2 duo

Just built this a little over a week ago (same CPU + Cooler + Motherboard), but am using 16GB of Corsair Vengeance, SeaSonic G Series 550W Modular 80 PLUS GOLD PSU, and wait for it, my old XFX GeForce 8800 GTS. Yes, I know it's old, but I'm conserving funds and looking at purchasing a new GPU in the fall, as well as a SSD.

bY1vQS6.jpg

Apologies for the poor image quality. First time building a PC by myself. Went well and was great learning experience. Had some difficulties cloning from my old hard drive to my new HDD, so I had to install Windows fresh. Besides some stupid video issues on my part with the GPU, I've been really satisfied with this build. Good luck!

Just built this a little over a week ago (same CPU + Cooler + Motherboard), but am using 16GB of Corsair Vengeance, SeaSonic G Series 550W Modular 80 PLUS GOLD PSU, and wait for it, my old XFX GeForce 8800 GTS. Yes, I know it's old, but I'm conserving funds and looking at purchasing a new GPU in the fall, as well as a SSD.

bY1vQS6.jpg

Apologies for the poor image quality. First time building a PC by myself. Went well and was great learning experience. Had some difficulties cloning from my old hard drive to my new HDD, so I had to install Windows fresh. Besides some stupid video issues on my part with the GPU, I've been really satisfied with this build. Good luck!

I heard that if you use that cooler with that mobo then you can only use 2 slots of ram, as it's big. I'm guessing that's not true? If not, I'll drop the new ram most likely

mkenyon

Banned
The reason why we suggest low profile RAM in the OP is because they fit under heatsinks.

The fins are an aesthetic holdover from DDR2 days when RAM was hot.

A.Romero

Guys, I'd love to take advantage of Microcenter's deals because I'm looking to buy a CPU, a Mobo and maybe some ram (if the price beats Amazon's).

However, I live in Mexico and it seems the CPU deals apply only with in store pick up.

I was wondering if any of you kind fellows would be willing to pick up some parts for me whenever you go buy something and send them to a P.O. Box...

GMM

Banned
Going to order tomorrow, here is the final list of components:

CPU: Intel I7 3930K
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU: Gigabyte GTX Titan
SSD: Crucial M4 - 128GB
RAM: G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400 MHz Trident X
PSU: Corsair HX750
DVD: Lite-On iHAS124
CASE: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl
COOLER: Corsair Hydro H100i
CASE FANS: 3 x Arctic Cooling F12
SCREEN: Asus PB278Q

No matter where i look i cannot find the RAM i want in stock, so i will have to order these seperately so i can build the pc first and then pop in my RAM.

mkenyon

Banned
*PMs his friend in Japan*
Oh, I'm so sorry.

I'm sooooo sorry.

Feist did it to me, now I did it to you. This is a path of heartbreak and anguish. Do not look any further.
Going to order tomorrow, here is the final list of components:

CPU: Intel I7 3930K
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU: Gigabyte GTX Titan
SSD: Crucial M4 - 128GB
RAM: G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400 MHz Trident X
PSU: Corsair HX750
DVD: Lite-On iHAS124
CASE: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl
COOLER: Corsair Hydro H100i
CASE FANS: 3 x Arctic Cooling F12
SCREEN: Asus PB278Q

No matter where i look i cannot find the RAM i want in stock, so i will have to order these seperately so i can build the pc first and then pop in my RAM.
This build is worthy of an epic poem.

ShOcKwAvE

Replaced a 5850 with a 7950. Noticed a significant improvement in framerates in every game, but something about 3DMark11 is very wrong:

6155 - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6123872

The CPU is actually 40x100 but 3DM reads the idle speed. Otherwise, it's accurate. I'm seeing scores with similar systems well into the 8k and 9k ranges. AA/AF is set to application control in the driver settings, so I don't know what else could cause this. Any thoughts?

mkenyon

Banned
Have you overclocked your 7950 yet?

Also, sometimes having speedstep enabled can reduce 3DMark scores if it isn't ramping it up properly.

ShOcKwAvE

Have you overclocked your 7950 yet?

Also, sometimes having speedstep enabled can reduce 3DMark scores if it isn't ramping it up properly.

Oc'ed to 1000/1300, haven't tried higher yet. I will try the Speedstep disable but I know for a fact that I run at 100% during games and certain apps, so I don't see why 3DM wouldn't function properly.

kennah

Oh, I'm so sorry.

I'm sooooo sorry.

Feist did it to me, now I did it to you. This is a path of heartbreak and anguish. Do not look any further
Oh I'd just want one to taunt you with. The CaseLabs Mercury is the winner. Wife even likes it.

Katyusha

Speaking of overclocked 7950s...

ikZ7Z6yRhkwEI.PNG

Did I do this right, or am I just killing my card by not changing the voltage and just upping the power limit?

mkenyon

Banned
Not sure why you would suggest this...I can't just push them that high and expect it to work. Besides, I see systems like mine hit 8k stock.

Disabling Speedstep had no effect unfortunately.
Why not? Thermal limitations?

*edit*

You are right though, your score does seem a bit low.

mkenyon

Banned
Haswell will be the next set. Most of the current ITX boards were launched well into Z77's life, so they'll likely be the only ones available.

Supposedly there will be more of a focus from ASUS and Gigabyte on offering 'enthusiast' ITX boards with Haswell.

MisterNoisy

Haswell will be the next set. Most of the current ITX boards were launched well into Z77's life, so they'll likely be the only ones available.

Supposedly there will be more of a focus from ASUS and Gigabyte on offering 'enthusiast' ITX boards with Haswell.

Oooo... RoG mini-ITX would be just spectacular.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, I was building a computer on NCIX.ca and came up with this.

CPU: Intel Core i3 3220 Dual Core
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D3H mATX LGA1155
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Fermi 822MHZ 1024MB 4008MHZ GDDR5
ETC: Random other junk. All very low priced to keep the system price down.

The total comes out to $900. I was happy with this. I decided to check out Futureshop just to LOL at their desktops. I then saw this.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=ba8f50916c52f8f75f4a9916fbc32fa3en02

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
Motherboard: Unknown
RAM: 12 GB PC3-12800 (1600 MHz DDR3)
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7570
ETC: Other junk

Price: $900

Ok, this kinda dickslaps my custom computer, doesn't it? The hell am I not seeing here?

Only thing I can see is that they don't mention a lot of who makes what parts. Like the RAM manufacturer, motherboard, harddrive.

Is that why it is cheaper? Because they are lower quality? I kinda just wanna buy this HP Pavilion computer......

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just ordered my 128GB 840 Pro!
I really like B&H. Free shipping and no taxes.

Really on the fence about whether or not to buy the Fractal R4 from Newegg. Does it get to 79.99 fairly often?

It's been $79.99 a couple times now. I know it was $79.99 just a week or so ago.

GatorFan

Banned
Thanks guys, will hold off until I move out of the apartment. Really don't want to move two computer cases if I don't have to -___-

asdad123

Really on the fence about whether or not to buy the Fractal R4 from Newegg. Does it get to 79.99 fairly often?

I just ordered mine from BHphoto for 109.99 no tax and no shipping. Better thank young another $10 in tax and 15 for shipping from newegg. That was the cheapest I've seen it this week apart from ncix a couple weeks ago.

kennah

Sorry, this is urgent, I'd like to get this within the next hour if people can advise me.3

Im looking for a non-build option, for about $500-$600 that can run some decent games

It is shitty and likely wouldn't run Battlefield.

You aren't going to find that.... Build what is in the OP and then save up the money to upgrade CPU/GPU. Or, save up longer.

Hey guys, I was building a computer on NCIX.ca and came up with this.

CPU: Intel Core i3 3220 Dual Core
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D3H mATX LGA1155
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Fermi 822MHZ 1024MB 4008MHZ GDDR5
ETC: Random other junk. All very low priced to keep the system price down.

The total comes out to $900. I was happy with this. I decided to check out Futureshop just to LOL at their desktops. I then saw this.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=ba8f50916c52f8f75f4a9916fbc32fa3en02

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
Motherboard: Unknown
RAM: 12 GB PC3-12800 (1600 MHz DDR3)
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7570
ETC: Other junk

Price: $900

Ok, this kinda dickslaps my custom computer, doesn't it? The hell am I not seeing here?

Only thing I can see is that they don't mention a lot of who makes what parts. Like the RAM manufacturer, motherboard, harddrive.

Is that why it is cheaper? Because they are lower quality? I kinda just wanna buy this HP Pavilion computer......

The one that you put together is much faster than the HP Pavilion. The video card in the pavilion wouldn't run anything in any acceptable fashion.

Mangotron

Sorry, this is urgent, I'd like to get this within the next hour if people can advise me.

This is the most I can find on it, I'm not sure if the "K" is different from the one in that PC (the link doesn't work for me). I'd check to make sure the PC has a PCIE 2.0 slot so you know if you can upgrade later.

It is shitty and likely wouldn't run Battlefield.

That's not necessarily true, this is a video of a 5800 running BF3. It's doing 30fps on medium/1080p with fraps on, doesn't seem that awful to me.

edit: yeah, didn't notice that on the benchmarks. I'd get something with a discrete gpu then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom