• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
My parts have all been shipped from Overclockers as well. Should have them tomorrow morning. So happy. :D

• i7 3930K 3.20GHz @ 4.40GHz
  • Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP 2048MB (Free Assassin's Creed III)
  • Samsung 256GB SSD 840 PRO SATA 6Gbs
  • Corsair Professional Series AX 760W '80 Plus Platinum' Modular PSU
  • NZXT Switch 810 - White
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB
  • Corsair Hydro H60 V2 CPU Cooler
  • Asus 24x DVD±RW DRW-24B5ST SATA ReWriter
  • NZXT FZ-140 Airflow Fan Series, Red LED - 140mm
  • NZXT FZ-140 Airflow Fan Series, White LED - 140mm
  • NZXT FZ-120 Airflow Fan Series, White LED - 120mm
  • Corsair SP120 Performance Series High Pressure - Fan Dual Pack
  • NVIDIA FREE TO PLAY £100 Voucher in-game value for Hawken, World of Tanks & Planetside 2 FREE with GTX 660, 660Ti, 670, 680, 690 & TITAN

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
New CPUs?
10% performance gain? Unless it OC's to the moon...

Toms Hardware said:
Overclocking is undoubtedly what many of you are going to base your buying decision on. Many enthusiasts assumed that Ivy Bridge-based CPUs manufactured at 22 nm would be far more tunable than 32 nm Sandy Bridge processors. When that turned out not to be the case, many folks expressed that they’d sit on fast second-gen Core chips running comfortably at 4.4 and 4.5 GHz. I wasn’t able to overclock the Core i7-4770K I tested—largely because that’s no way to treat a borrowed CPU. But we’re certainly curious to see how a more mature process affects the architecture’s scalability.
LF0HKuI.gif

*And of course waiting for Anandtech's 20 page writeup on it now.

Alienous

I knew this day would come.

So, I'm a complete noob when it comes to building a PC. Testament to this fact is that I purchased an Alienware Aurora system (boo!) around 2 years ago, in 2010.

Now, I have been able to upgrade my GPU to a 7870, but I have been looking into buying an i5 3570k to upgrade my CPU. As it happens, I have bought an i5 3570k for to upgrade my CPU. Now, a parameter struck me that I wasn't aware of 'Socket LGA1155 - OEM'. Research a little be, I think that this is to do with it being a Sandy Bridge CPU? In any case, my current processor is likely of the 'Socket LGA1156' variety (an i3 540).

Now, my computer isn't exactly new, nor is the motherboard. Apparently the motherboards of the Aurora R3's (mine's is an R2) were upgraded to support Sandy Bridge CPU's? It is possible and likely that my motherboard is X58/P55.

Anyway, what I am asking is if I am able to use this CPU in my computer? Would I need to upgrade my motherboard (in which case I'd just cancel the processor order, and leave PC gaming behind me).

I'd appreciate if you guys can give me a swift reply. Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Apparently I have an 1156LGA socket ... which should be better than an 1155LGA one, surely?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I am looking into building or buying an HTPC. Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I build one myself? Can I buy a good product pre-assembled? If I am building one what all do I really need to have? Any answers or help would be great. Thanks.

kharma45

So, I'm a complete noob when it comes to building a PC. Testament to this fact is that I purchased an Alienware Aurora system (boo!) around 2 years ago, in 2010.

Now, I have been able to upgrade my GPU to a 7870, but I have been looking into buying an i5 3570k to upgrade my CPU. As it happens, I have bought an i5 3570k for to upgrade my CPU. Now, a parameter struck me that I wasn't aware of 'Socket LGA1155 - OEM'. Research a little be, I think that this is to do with it being a Sandy Bridge CPU? In any case, my current processor is likely of the 'Socket LGA1156' variety (an i3 540).

Now, my computer isn't exactly new, nor is the motherboard. Apparently the motherboards of the Aurora R3's (mine's is an R2) were upgraded to support Sandy Bridge CPU's? It is possible and likely that my motherboard is X58/P55.

Anyway, what I am asking is if I am able to use this CPU in my computer? Would I need to upgrade my motherboard (in which case I'd just cancel the processor order, and leave PC gaming behind me).

1155 can't work in a 1156 motherboard, no.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

EDIT:
Apparently I have an 1156LGA socket ... which should be better than an 1155LGA one, surely?
The sockets are incompatible, you can't use that processor in your computer.
You should be able to however purchase an i5 750 or i7 860 for your PC.
I am looking into building or buying an HTPC. Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I build one myself? Can I buy a good product pre-assembled? If I am building one what all do I really need to have? Any answers or help would be great. Thanks.
Read the OP, fill the survey, look at SFF build.

mkenyon

Banned
Intel NUC.

mr2xxx

Banned
Maybe not that many blurays, but you can fit quite a lot onto a 256GB drive.

You can but using an SSD to store that type of content is a waste. Your better off getting a small SSD and getting an external USB drive. Which isn't bad, it just makes for more clutter.

Ty4on

You can but using an SSD to store that type of content is a waste. Your better off getting a small SSD and getting an external USB drive. Which isn't bad, it just makes for more clutter.

No. Listens to the lack of HDD noise ^^

I'll probably get an external HDD to back my entire SSD and for extra storage, but it is really nice to have an SSD only build. Clicked a the mechanical sample keys I have laying around and I guess it can be compared to a keyboard with only mechanical keys. No matter what key you press it's just as good (fast).

Okay, yeah, you'd want to swap in the Sapphire equivalent. Are you sure you won't need NVIDIA for Cuda support?

Before you hit purchase, I want you to know I just did a rough price comparison. You'd save around $500-700 by building it yourself. If there's any chance you are in the Pacific NW, I'd definitely do it for you as well.

Appreciate the offer. im in NorCal. if you happen to be here too i suppose id consider it. To be completely honest i *could* build it myself (as in i know how) i just dont really like messing around with hardware (im a software guy), and when things break or go wrong i like the safety net of being able to just have it get fixed without me messing with it

Xyber

Appreciate the offer. im in NorCal. if you happen to be here too i suppose id consider it. To be completely honest i *could* build it myself (as in i know how) i just dont really like messing around with hardware (im a software guy), and when things break or go wrong i like the safety net of being able to just have it get fixed without me messing with it

It's almost impossible to break something when building a computer. As long as you are careful with the CPU and check that you are putting the RAM in the right way pretty much nothing can go wrong.

mkenyon

Banned
Though the above poster is correct, doing things like RAID0 on your main drive will take a bit more fidgeting than a standard build.

Though really, RAID0 SSD's don't offer much of a performance benefit, but I certainly understand wanting to have a clean 1TB partition rather than two drives.
Rip your dvd's/blu rays onto the HD for convienence. Use it to store TV shows, anime, or other things.
NAS/External storage.

The NUC is such a great piece of hardware, I just love those little buggers.

Katoki

I don't know your original problem. Why did you swap coolers? Was it working before?

Remove everything extra other than 1 stick of RAM and try to boot.

Was going from an H60 with no AP181 in Silverstone SG08 to a set up with SG08's AP181 fan and a Gemin II S524 set up.

Will go back and attempt to power the board with a different power supply when I get home from work to see if I somehow broke something there. Yes, it was working with the H60 right before I decided to do it. I didn't use it though, I turned it on and realized I could do the swap so I shut it down immediately after.

I've been trying to get it to do something with just the CPU, Intel stock cooler, board, 24 and 8 pin plugged in, and the power button header. It used to just work so I haven't had to dig into stuff like this in a long while; will try the single stick of ram when I get home.

LegoDad

Good news! Corsair said the 650 PSU should work and since its my 3rd failure in under 3 years they are upgrading me to a 750 PSU.

Though the above poster is correct, doing things like RAID0 on your main drive will take a bit more fidgeting than a standard build.

Though really, RAID0 SSD's don't offer much of a performance benefit, but I certainly understand wanting to have a clean 1TB partition rather than two drives.

Not so much about breaking things as it is about if something goes out on its own after a year or two of use.

Regarding the SSDs, i was actually going to RAID0 them for my secondary drive, and boot from the magnetic disk. This is one of the biggest performance gains you can get when compiling, as the bottleneck is always the disk

mkenyon

Banned
Have you thought about a PCI-E SSD? Bypass the SATA controller entirely, plug that shit into your Bus :p

But if you are spending that much, I'd still really suggest at least getting a small SSD for your OS. It makes general computer usage so snappy and wonderful. It's right there with 120Hz monitors as my 'must have' of the last two years.

When stuff dies after two years (unlikely) then it's a quick evening of troubleshooting the part and sending it off for RMA, which is exactly what would happen with your PC as well.

Ty4on

Good news! Corsair said the 650 PSU should work and since its my 3rd failure in under 3 years they are upgrading me to a 750 PSU.

Strange squeeking sound and fan ramping up and down? Randomly checked a Norwegian computer site and found this thread had been featured on the front page with various people having issues with the HX650. Video of the fan, don't know if it's been discussed here.

Edit: I haven't seen all your posts so ignore this if you haven't had issues with the HX650.

scogoth

Have you thought about a PCI-E SSD? Bypass the SATA controller entirely, plug that shit into your Bus :p

But if you are spending that much, I'd still really suggest at least getting a small SSD for your OS. It makes general computer usage so snappy and wonderful. It's right there with 120Hz monitors as my 'must have' of the last two years.

When stuff dies after two years (unlikely) then it's a quick evening of troubleshooting the part and sending it off for RMA, which is exactly what would happen with your PC as well.

I've used PCIe SSDs for work critical data and they have issues. Wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you are doing or are using vendor verified hardware which puts the cost in the thousands.

but yeah get an SSD for OS

appaws

Banned
It's almost impossible to break something when building a computer. As long as you are careful with the CPU and check that you are putting the RAM in the right way pretty much nothing can go wrong.

I would like to add that in addition to the money savings of building yourself...there are other reasons. I would build myself even if they were the exact same price, because:

1. It's fun. Opening up all those boxes of parts, laying everything out, etc. All the tinkering around and things like cable management. I really like it. Getting a big package from Newegg....better than sex.

2. Control. You have complete control and knowledge of what you put in, getting the bios setup, etc. That makes you confident in working on it and upgrading it down the road, because you know every nook and cranny of it.

3. Impress your friends. It's funny, but members of the general public equate building a computer with rocket science. They have no idea how easy it is actually, and they are so impressed when you tell them. I built a rig for a friend recently, and when we were done, he was like "that's it....I could have done that." He said he imagined a lot of sodering of little pieces or something.

scogoth

appaws said:
He said he imagined a lot of sodering of little pieces or something.

Let mkenyon tell you what to build and it suddenly gets complicated. the more complicated it gets the more fun is. It's like advanced Lego.

But seriously he's using copper tubing for water cooling, it's crazy.

Slight off topic, but has anyone ever had issues with single click that treats as double click for mice?

My 1 year old naga is behaving like that and razer support answer is just generic update drivers blah blah.

mkenyon

Banned
Let mkenyon tell you what to build and it suddenly gets complicated. the more complicated it gets the more fun is. It's like advanced Lego.

Yeah.....

True story, it's actually cheaper and in a lot of ways more simple than plastic tubes. You only need $2.50 fittings and zero angle adapters.

The reason I was skeptical about doing an SSD for the OS is that SSDs have vastly shorter average time to failure than magnetic disks. I don't mind losing the stuff on my secondary drive, but losing your boot partition is a massive headache. That being said, this will be my first SSD so I only say this from stuff I've read, and not from experience.

I had this nightmare experience recently where a failing power supply caused me to replace my entire system before I finally figured out what the problem was. Started out with just random blue screens every few weeks, eventually progressing to every few days. The driver being complained about was the video card driver. After it got frequent enough and diagnostic attempts failed, I decided the first course of action would be to reformat / re-install the OS.

Everything seemed to be better for a while, but then the blue screens came back. Tried everything, and after a few more weeks of this I decided to swap out the video card. Everything was better again. Fast forward a few more weeks and then my PC would occasionally hard freeze and I had to pull the power cable to restart it, or sometimes it would just reboot by itself. Now I started seeing a new problem, which is that when I booted it would sometimes fail during the post check and say that the CPU overheated. I installed some temperature monitoring software, and everything always looked fine. But after having enough of this (maybe a month or two) only thing I could think of to do was get a better cooling system.

So I got one of those ultra powerful CPU fans, turns out it was the wrong size and wouldn't fit in my case. Money wasted. Got a new fan and tried again, didn't fix the problem. So I thought maybe I didn't put enough thermal paste on. Re-applied thermal paste and tried again, and the problem kept happening. Running out of ideas, so I figured I would just replace the entire motherboard and CPU, it must be the motherboard right? Keep in mind that between each hardware change is at least 3 weeks of usage time, so at this point my computer has been pissing me off for months.

So I replace the motherboard and CPU, and now I get a new problem. Sometimes everything works fine, sometimes I hit power and the fan spins for about a half second and then shuts down, and sometimes hitting the power button does nothing at all. At this point I'm like "ohhhhhhh, so all along the problem has been the case" I thought maybe the wires connecting the power button to the motherboard either were shorted, or the solder was coming off and the connection was loose.

So I bought a new case. Turns out the case I bought was a piece of shit, and now the power button on that case barely works at all, but it actually didn't even fix the problem. So finally, it dawned on me. The only thing left was the power supply.

Everything works now, except I have this shitty case. I wasted over 6 months and probably $1,000 in unnecessary parts trying to diagnose that goddamn thing. After that I told myself that I was basically done, I'm getting support next time, even if I never have to use it (certainly the most likely scenario, since my experience is not common) the peace of mind knowing I won't have to go through that again is worth the couple hundred dollars.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, but did you have PC GAF for help during that time?

The folks that participate in this thread put a lot of repair/warranty service to shame, IMO. So many helpful people.
Is this considered a decent upgrade from what I have now? Currently running a ATI Radeon HD 3800.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

I'm not looking to spend to much money and this seems like it will run most current games fine on high.
Goodness gracious yes. That's like 300%+ more powerful.

I would like to add that in addition to the money savings of building yourself...there are other reasons. I would build myself even if they were the exact same price, because:

1. It's fun. Opening up all those boxes of parts, laying everything out, etc. All the tinkering around and things like cable management. I really like it. Getting a big package from Newegg....better than sex.

2. Control. You have complete control and knowledge of what you put in, getting the bios setup, etc. That makes you confident in working on it and upgrading it down the road, because you know every nook and cranny of it.

3. Impress your friends. It's funny, but members of the general public equate building a computer with rocket science. They have no idea how easy it is actually, and they are so impressed when you tell them. I built a rig for a friend recently, and when we were done, he was like "that's it....I could have done that." He said he imagined a lot of sodering of little pieces or something.

1. I fucking hate it. Literally, with a passion. Read my other post just above.

2. I'll give you that, but on the other hand, customizing it from somewhere like AVA Direct, you still know exactly what's in it, so it should be the same with regards to confidence.

3. Eh, not worried about this one. Don't want to go into details, but I already have this one covered :)

kennah

.... Tell me about it. My $80 BitFenix Prodigy suddenly turned into a $285 custom limited MITX case with $300-400 in watercooling stuff in it.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
After the advice I got in this thread, I chose the following components

Is it balanced? Will I be able to fit it in that case? enough watts? Would you change any component?

Edit: Might as well ask for a cheap m/kb, I'm not planning on playing competitive, I'm more of a single-player guy.

Lanbeast

vader.jpg

My desktop has been powering on but shutting off 3-4 seconds later randomly for the past month. It would usually power on fine after that. I was trying to ride it out til June but now it won't stay on after about an hour of trying. I'm not 100% what failed so I don't really wanna go down the trek of trying to replace a part. Might as well just build.

vader.jpg

My desktop has been powering on but shutting off 3-4 seconds later randomly for the past month. It would usually power on fine after that. I was trying to ride it out til June but now it won't stay on after about an hour of trying. I'm not 100% what failed so I don't really wanna go down the trek of trying to replace a part. Might as well just build.

lol. sounds like what I spent $1000 on and 6 months trying to diagnose. It turned out to be my power supply. Read about 10 posts up on this page

brentech

Just received my Logitech K750 keyboard.
I really like the feel of it. Also, being solar powered is pretty bad ass.
I've had an ergo split keyboard for about the last 10 years, but also having laptops kind of helps the quick transition to this.

Still have until Wednesday to receive my last 2 parts for my new system, but just watching videos on the lessons of overclocking and such so I can hopefully do everything nice and proper.

Also taking the time to pre-load my external hdd with software I'll want to install. Mostly so I don't forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom