• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
lol. sounds like what I spent $1000 on and 6 months trying to diagnose. It turned out to be my power supply. Read about 10 posts up on this page
When it's a random failure like that, it might not even be something a warranty service would pick up on the first time you sent it in.
Check mobo leaking or blown capacitors. If none then replace your power supply. should be the culprit.
This x10000.

Belgand

lol. sounds like what I spent $1000 on and 6 months trying to diagnose. It turned out to be my power supply. Read about 10 posts up on this page

I had something similar, about 5 years ago except after the initial crash it would die within 20 minutes or so. Worked great for the six months before the problems started. Eventually after the second motherboard replacement (solid caps so that probably wasn't it) and a different power supply it reached a point where it wouldn't POST. That system now sits in a box, the issue never was fixed. I've often thought it might have been heat related (I was using a really old case) and it just took several months for something critical to melt down.

I still love building my own though.

But yeah, nothing is worse than the feeling of a system crashing hard. You get that sick feeling in your stomach and it feels like something actually died.

appaws

Banned
After the advice I got in this thread, I chose the following components

Is it balanced? Will I be able to fit it in that case? enough watts? Would you change any component?

Edit: Might as well ask for a cheap m/kb, I'm not planning on playing competitive, I'm more of a single-player guy.

The logitech keyboard and mouse for like 20 bucks are actually decent. At some point you will probably move up in the world, but they work well for the price.

Nothing wrong with the 660ti...I don't want to come off as some sort of AMD fanboy or anything like that....but have you considered this Gigabyte 7950:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414

You get one of the best coolers on it and you get Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite free. It overclocks really well and gets you performance somewhere more like a 670.

Lanbeast

Check mobo leaking or blown capacitors. If none then replace your power supply. should be the culprit.

All the capacitors look fine. I'm assuming it's probably a power supply issue. My buddy has a power supply tester that I can borrow but it's snowing like crazy here in PA so I'll have to get it from him tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

lmpaler

So I put part of my rig together, what has arrived anyways, and holy balls this case(Lian Li) is well designed! The way the HDD and SDD sit in and on the cage with the rubber guard is pure genius. I threw from screws on my ODD for good measure, but the locking mechanism seems like it would have held it there just fine.

My thanks to the OP and everyone involved in it as well as everyone who answered questions I had. The rest of the parts will be here before Friday and then IT IS GAME TIME!(no pun intended :p)

P.S. It is probably weird, but I love the smell of new parts in the morning

Should I really be concerned about what type of thermal paste I use? I see some that are like ridiculously priced, I just can't help but think it really doesn't matter. Like buying a $5 HDMI cable vs a $50 HDMI cable when the only difference is some theoretical difference that won't matter to anyone.

Assuming it matters, which one should I use? System specs are on the previous page, just Ctrl+F my name. I chose an ANTEC one but I want to make sure the one I get is easy to spread and goes on evenly without too much hassle.

lmpaler

Should I really be concerned about what type of thermal paste I use? I see some that are like ridiculously priced, I just can't help but think it really doesn't matter. Like buying a $5 HDMI cable vs a $50 HDMI cable when the only difference is some theoretical difference that won't matter to anyone.

Assuming it matters, which one should I use? System specs are on the previous page, just Ctrl+F my name. I chose an ANTEC one but I want to make sure the one I get is easy to spread and goes on evenly without too much hassle.

I've never spent more than $7 on paste. Ever.

mkenyon

Banned

I was looking at that on AVADirect, and that stuff is INSANELY overpriced. I'd skip it.

They all perform within 3-4 degrees of each other given a similar mount. Where the different TIMs start to shine is if the mount isn't perfect.

Artanisix

Oof, was gonna pick up a 7950 but my case seems it might be a tight squeeze for most of them... Does anyone have a smaller sized 7950 that'll fit into an Antec 300 (supports up to 11" gpus)?

Alright, I took mkenyon's advice and configured the same thing on NewEgg just to see what the price difference might be like. I also swapped out the boot partition for another SSD. So in the below image there are 3 identical SSDs. One will be used for the boot partition, the other 2 will be used in a RAID0 partition for a secondary drive.

g9e3Db2l.jpg

Incidentally, the price here is about the same as what I came up with on AVADirect, but this one includes an SSD instead of a rotational drive for the boot drive. So I imagine the difference will end up being roughly the price of the SSD once all is said and done.

Only thing I'm missing is a RAID controller. Any recommendation?

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, I took mkenyon's advice and configured the same thing on NewEgg just to see what the price difference might be like. I also swapped out the boot partition for another SSD. So in the below image there are 3 identical SSDs. One will be used for the boot partition, the other 2 will be used in a RAID0 partition for a secondary drive.

g9e3Db2l.jpg

Incidentally, the price here is about the same as what I came up with on AVADirect, but this one includes an SSD instead of a rotational drive for the boot drive. So I imagine the difference will end up being roughly the price of the SSD once all is said and done.

Only thing I'm missing is a RAID controller. Any recommendation?
There's a lot of optimization when it comes to buying off of Newegg that wasn't available via AVADirect. I could drop the price on that by a few hundred.

There's a lot of optimization when it comes to buying off of Newegg that wasn't available via AVADirect. I could drop the price on that by a few hundred.

standing by :) No seriously though, I really do appreciate all your help so far, very helpful.

What would you change? I actually had to bump the memory a little over my previous configuration because the one I had chosen on AVA (which it actually let me choose and didn't warn me about a conflict), was for Z77 chipset. This was like one of the only options that allowed me to get 32GB of 2400MHz, so that knocked it up another $50. All ears though if you can find a way to get it down another few hundred.

BTW, how hard is it going to be to actually run with 4 chips at 2400MHz each? Based on the above config, should it just work out of the box with no stability issues if I go into the bios and set it at 2400?

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
The logitech keyboard and mouse for like 20 bucks are actually decent. At some point you will probably move up in the world, but they work well for the price.

Nothing wrong with the 660ti...I don't want to come off as some sort of AMD fanboy or anything like that....but have you considered this Gigabyte 7950:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414

You get one of the best coolers on it and you get Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite free. It overclocks really well and gets you performance somewhere more like a 670.

Yeah, I don't know about Nvidia vs ATI, just heard more people talk about the 660ti, but for the same price I think I could get the 7950. Aside from that, do you that, do you think my build is ok? I'm specially concerned about the case and the PSU.

mkenyon

Banned
standing by :) No seriously though, I really do appreciate all your help so far, very helpful.

What would you change? I actually had to bump the memory a little over my previous configuration because the one I had chosen on AVA (which it actually let me choose and didn't warn me about a conflict), was for Z77 chipset. This was like one of the only options that allowed me to get 32GB of 2400MHz, so that knocked it up another $50. All ears though if you can find a way to get it down another few hundred.

BTW, how hard is it going to be to actually run with 4 chips at 2400MHz each? Based on the above config, should it just work out of the box with no stability issues if I go into the bios and set it at 2400?
The IMC's on Sandy Bridge E processors are generally really good, so you should have good success.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17033314

I'd suggest swapping out the third M4 for something smaller if you can do with less.

Can also go a bit lower on the PSU with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151106

mkenyon

Banned
I should say as well, what I laid out in that cart is what I would aim to build with AVADirect if you end up wanting the warranty/service.

Katyusha

Oof, was gonna pick up a 7950 but my case seems it might be a tight squeeze for most of them... Does anyone have a smaller sized 7950 that'll fit into an Antec 300 (supports up to 11" gpus)?

Hmm, well I don't smaller 7950s, but I have an Antec 300 with an MSI 7950 and it fits. It just runs rather toasty (75-80c at load)

I should say as well, what I laid out in that cart is what I would aim to build with AVADirect if you end up wanting the warranty/service.

Thanks. BTW, it looks like you made the same mistake as I did with the memory. If you go look at the specs, it says it's only for Z77 chipset. Have to get the Ripjaw series if you want X79 chipset support. Unfortunately though I don't think 16GB is going to be enough for my non-gaming needs, so I have to keep that at 32GB. Still a little bit cheaper though.

I hope AMD catches up. I'm going to continue to not use IGP. These K series CPUS with IGP that few people use are getting boring.

I wonder if upcoming games will be able to use the IGP for compute stuff. I'd feel better about buying them if they weren't totally useless silicon.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks. BTW, it looks like you made the same mistake as I did with the memory. If you go look at the specs, it says it's only for Z77 chipset. Have to get the Ripjaw series if you want X79 chipset support. Unfortunately though I don't think 16GB is going to be enough for my non-gaming needs, so I have to keep that at 32GB. Still a little bit cheaper though.
Wait wait, what?

Wait wait, what?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

Designed for 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors and Z77 platform.

Check out the 32GB version of the TridentX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231590

Then check the reviews, and you'll find this 1 star review.

Pros: Not compatible for me so no pros.

Cons: It is not a "quad channel kit". It is for a z77 chipset as I overlooked. Z77 Intel boards are 2 channel, 4 dimm. I have a 4 channel x79. It says specifically on the manufacturer website "multi channel: dual channel". They sell a different set of RAM for quad channel with all other specs the same. I wish I had read the manufacturer site because I am out $300. It keeps corrupting my files and it crashes memtest86. It took me awhile to figure out what was the problem. DIMMs do not equal channels. 4 sticks of RAM doesn't make it a quad channel kit. Some manufacturers specify that their kits will work in either type and some specify one or the other. This one specifies dual channel. Just so you know it's probably going to cause you problems if you don't check the manufacturer's site to see if it is compatible with what you have. I wish I knew then what I know now.

If you go find the Ripjaw series though, it says this:

Quad channel memory designed for LGA2011 Intel Core-i7 processors and X79 platforms.

If you do go and check the Manufacturer's website for the Trident X series, it says pretty much everywhere that it recommends only to use with Core i7-3770k and Core i5-3570K and Z77 only.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Is he referring to Gskill Ripjaws RAM? There are products within that family that focus on compatibility with either LGA2011 or LGA1155.

scogoth

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

Designed for 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors and Z77 platform.

Check out the 32GB version of the TridentX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231590

Then check the reviews, and you'll find this 1 star review.

Pros: Not compatible for me so no pros.

Cons: It is not a "quad channel kit". It is for a z77 chipset as I overlooked. Z77 Intel boards are 2 channel, 4 dimm. I have a 4 channel x79. It says specifically on the manufacturer website "multi channel: dual channel". They sell a different set of RAM for quad channel with all other specs the same. I wish I had read the manufacturer site because I am out $300. It keeps corrupting my files and it crashes memtest86. It took me awhile to figure out what was the problem. DIMMs do not equal channels. 4 sticks of RAM doesn't make it a quad channel kit. Some manufacturers specify that their kits will work in either type and some specify one or the other. This one specifies dual channel. Just so you know it's probably going to cause you problems if you don't check the manufacturer's site to see if it is compatible with what you have. I wish I knew then what I know now.

If you go find the Ripjaw series though, it says this:

Quad channel memory designed for LGA2011 Intel Core-i7 processors and X79 platforms.

lol that is SO untrue. It doesn't matter if its dual channel/quad channel. They package it like that for marketting reasons. He just got bad RAM

EDIT: Because someone will bring it up I will qualify this statement by adding, yes if you are overclocking it help to have all the chips from the same batch for similar OCing characteristics which you will get in quad channel kits but possibly not in dual channel kits.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I wonder if upcoming games will be able to use the IGP for compute stuff. I'd feel better about buying them if they weren't totally useless silicon.

Oh well. I'm going Ivy + an upcoming GPU, then I'm going to replace the GPU mid/late 2014 with 2 Maxwells or similar.

Wait for Maxwell is the new Haswell.

I guess it's time to actually play some games. :)

mkenyon

Banned
lol that is SO untrue. It doesn't matter if its dual channel/quad channel. They package it like that for marketting reasons. He just got bad RAM
This.

I will do investigating to make absolutely certain, but there is no such thing as quad or dual channel RAM. It's all single/dual/triple/quad, they're just packaged differently for marketing reasons.

Motherboards *do* need to focus on adding compatibility for RAM to ensure proper XMP settings, but even then it's usually not required. But I bet there's a BIOS update for the P9X79 that allows use of the Trident.

This.

I will do investigating to make absolutely certain, but there is no such thing as quad or dual channel RAM. It's all single/dual/triple/quad, they're just packaged differently for marketing reasons.

Well even still, if you check the manufacturer's website for the Trident X series, they explicitly don't mention any support for X79 unless go up to the Ripjaw Z.

Ripjaw: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=452
Trident: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=514

And also Trident doesn't list any X79 motherboards on its list of Qualified Motherboards

When I read through the other reviews of the Trident series, anywhere you see X79 you see people complaining that it either didn't work at all, or they couldn't get it up to 2400MHz

Edit: And just to make it clear, you guys are definitely more knowledgeable about this than me, I just take everything at face value :)

appaws

Banned
Yeah, I don't know about Nvidia vs ATI, just heard more people talk about the 660ti, but for the same price I think I could get the 7950. Aside from that, do you that, do you think my build is ok? I'm specially concerned about the case and the PSU.

I think its pretty good. Do you need the MicroATX Motherboard, or could you go with something like the Asus P8Z77-V LK or the Asrock Z77 Extreme4. They will serve you well at reasonable prices. Gigabyte motherboards have also been getting some good reviews lately.

Go look at the power supplies in the OP. They are good and well reviewed. 550w should do ya for a single video card like the 7950 or the 660ti.

You also need to get a CPU cooler, so the wonderful Overclocking of that 3570k is opened up. A great low priced option is the CM 212+.

Cases are mostly personal taste. The OP is a great place to start. Pick one you like in your price range. Everyone here rages about the R4

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So.. Wait for Haswell or get 3770K?

I heard about the USB 3 issues.

I am contemplating this too. I need more CPU power for video encoding. My 2500k at 4.4ghz is gasping for straws at what I'm doing but it's been a good trooper.

Microcenter has it for $230. I don't understand why it is in store only. Doesn't make sense to me. I don't want to pay full price for it at this point.

brentech

Watched the Overclock3d tutorial again, this time taking notes. I'm very ready to receive my last items Wednesday and get at it.

Link worked for me OK.

Man, that looks great to me. When you are ready to go for some custom water cooling that Switch 810 is going to be great.

Link worked for you because the link takes you to your PC Partpicker list. :D

Those are your choices you're looking at. Hahahaha. I found that funny for some reason.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
I think its pretty good. Do you need the MicroATX Motherboard, or could you go with something like the Asus P8Z77-V LK or the Asrock Z77 Extreme4. They will serve you well at reasonable prices. Gigabyte motherboards have also been getting some good reviews lately.

Go look at the power supplies in the OP. They are good and well reviewed. 550w should do ya for a single video card like the 7950 or the 660ti.

You also need to get a CPU cooler, so the wonderful Overclocking of that 3570k is opened up. A great low priced option is the CM 212+.

Cases are mostly personal taste. The OP is a great place to start. Pick one you like in your price range. Everyone here rages about the R4

Thanks for the advice. I changed the mobo to a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, an Antec BP550 for the PSU, a 7950, and an Antec 200r for the case. I don't plan to overclock, so I will stick to the stock cooler, at least for now.

appaws

Banned
Thanks for the advice. I changed the mobo to a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, an Antec BP550 for the PSU, a 7950, and an Antec 200r for the case. I don't plan to overclock, so I will stick to the stock cooler, at least for now.

C'mon, everybody is doing it. Don't be chicken.

Seriously, OCing that 3570k to a mild overclock is so super easy, just changing a few bios settings. The whole point if the "k" processors is that they are unlocked. Stick an inexpensive cooler on there and get 20-30% free performance.

I have mine running at 4.4ghz with -0.40 offset voltage.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member

Seriously, OCing that 3570k to a mild overclock is so super easy, just changing a few bios settings. The whole point if the "k" processors is that they are unlocked. Stick an inexpensive cooler on there and get 20-30% free performance.

o-okay

Irobot82

Me too, Max temp on Prime95 was 72.

Katoki

Remove everything extra other than 1 stick of RAM and try to boot.

Just tried the single stick of ram since everything else was already removed early into the troubleshooting yesterday. Same results, ethernet port led stayed orange this time and went out when I tried the power.

RkOwnage

I don't know if this is right thread for this but I figured I'd ask. I currently have two PCs, one I use for animations/rendering/etc and the other strictly for gaming. I am going to hook the gaming PC up through my TV now and game from my couch. Does anyone have any recommendations for items to put the keyboard and mouse on? Right now, all I've got is my coffee table and that would kill my back after awhile. My couch's arms aren't very big, so the mouse on the arm of the couch wouldn't work too well. I'm wondering if anyone has a lap table or something to use, and if you have any recommendations.

Odd request, I know.

Katyusha

Hmm, well I don't smaller 7950s, but I have an Antec 300 with an MSI 7950 and it fits. It just runs rather toasty (75-80c at load)

As I stated before, yeah, my 7950 runs pretty hot in my Antec 300, and I have 2 intake fans in the front in addition to the 2 included exhaust fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom