• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp the novelty of my new case wore off really quick. When I turned on my PC, my motherboard wouldnt post. I looked at what was going on and the red LED by the ram modules was red (I have the Asus P8Z68-V/GEN-3 board). Even when I reset the memory it still does the same thing and I tried taking out and re-sitting the ram sticks. Is my board fucked or is there another thing I can try to fix it? I'm using the Corsair Vengeance sticks.

Artanisix

As I stated before, yeah, my 7950 runs pretty hot in my Antec 300, and I have 2 intake fans in the front in addition to the 2 included exhaust fans.

Jesus, 75-80c? That scares the hell out of me..

Thing is amazing. Stays at a steady 50C with temps when I'm playing Crysis 3 at ultra settings.

That's a lot more comforting. What case do you have though?

Been doing some more 95prime testing, and it looks like the highest my CPU goes up to is 60 (on average, cores are ranging from 58-61).
I guess I could overclock my 3750k a bit.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So is the Radeon HD 7770 worth getting at just under 100$? I wanna get a mid level card just to run some games and get back into pc gaming, and I'm torn between that or the GT 630, which is about 40 dollars cheaper. Help me out gaf.

Ty4on

Jesus, 75-80c? That scares the hell out of me..

Sub 80? That's cold :p
Temperatur_Lavereerbedre.png

Good news! Corsair said the 650 PSU should work and since its my 3rd failure in under 3 years they are upgrading me to a 750 PSU.

Just got my HX750 after replacing my HX650. It was making an annoying chirping noise that's described in alot of customer reviews. I'm just gonna give the 650 to my parent's computer.

If anyone wants this free AC3 coupon, I'll leave it here. It's not my kind of game.

ACNA-NEPR-WQHZ-VZQE-CWCJ-CODA
www.geforce.com/freeassassincreed3

There's a lot of optimization when it comes to buying off of Newegg that wasn't available via AVADirect. I could drop the price on that by a few hundred.

I actually got the price down another $100 by using Amazon instead of Newegg. Any particular reason I should prefer Newegg? Like return policy etc? I know it seems like almost everyone buys from Newegg, there must be a reason right?

Edit: Actually quite a bit more, since Amazon has free shipping with Prime. I don't think Newegg does, does it?

mkenyon

Banned
I actually got the price down another $100 by using Amazon instead of Newegg. Any particular reason I should prefer Newegg? Like return policy etc? I know it seems like almost everyone buys from Newegg, there must be a reason right?

Edit: Actually quite a bit more, since Amazon has free shipping with Prime. I don't think Newegg does, does it?
No reason. Amazon actually one ups them by doing cross-shipment RMAs.

BTW, out of the OCN posts, this is by far the most accurate.

As Sam OCX mentioned, the CPU's integrate memory controller comes into play. Remember, SB-e is based on Sandy Bridge. The 1155 Dandy Bridge will only run up to 2133 ram. The 2011 CPUs can push 2400, but they better have a good IMC! Ivy Bridge on the other hand can run much higher memory, which is why those kits are "Designed" for Z77/Ivy Bridge.

That right there is why they say Z77 optimized or whatever on the forums. Go with whatever set is cheaper, IMO.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Amazon is better. Less hassle, better shipping.

Before Amazon stocked anything of note Newegg.com was the best and bent over backwards for you. Not so anymore. Newegg is still good, but if you can get a part from Amazon I'll buy there first.

Oh well. I'm going Ivy + an upcoming GPU, then I'm going to replace the GPU mid/late 2014 with 2 Maxwells or similar.

Wait for Maxwell is the new Haswell.

I guess it's time to actually play some games. :)

Haha, yep. I'm still leaning toward upgrading to Haswell -- I need to get off this Phenom II, and then I should be good for a while.

So is the Radeon HD 7770 worth getting at just under 100$? I wanna get a mid level card just to run some games and get back into pc gaming, and I'm torn between that or the GT 630, which is about 40 dollars cheaper. Help me out gaf.

The 7770 is pretty much the best bang for your buck in that price range, especially if you can get a GHz edition. It's a much better card than the 630.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Haha, yep. I'm still leaning toward upgrading to Haswell -- I need to get off this Phenom II, and then I should be good for a while.

The 7770 is pretty much the best bang for your buck in that price range, especially if you can get a GHz edition. It's a much better card than the 630.

Alright I'll probably place the order now then. 15$ rebate ends at the end of the month, do you think they'll honor it?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Resale question :

How do you gauge the value when reselling a pc/parts? Do you compare it to what the equivalent cost new in store? Some kind of set percentage?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/IhmN

Does this look ok? I tried to base it on the one in the op as best as I could but some parts weren't available.

Looks ok. If you're buying the 3570K for overclocking, you'll need a z77 board - that h77 one won't overclock. I went for the gigabyte z77 mitx which also has some limitations (should get you to 4GHz easy enough) but is quite a bit cheaper than other ones. Cooler should be ok, but check if there are any fitting issues, mitx boards are tiny and some have issues with clearance for cooler.

kharma45 suggested not going with XFX because they have bad returns for the UK - consider the gigabyte above it - faster and a tiny bit cheaper too

Jzero

Resale question :

How do you gauge the value when reselling a pc/parts? Do you compare it to what the equivalent cost new in store? Some kind of set percentage?
1. For how long you've used it.
2. The condition it's currently in.
3. Compare it to Amazon price and reduce the price a bit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there such a thing as a wireless KVM switch? I want to use my mouse/keyboard with my new gaming PC (Arriving today) and also with my work laptop - both in my home office.

I'd hoped I could sync to two unifying receivers but logitech don't support that, so I need other options. Manually plugging/unplugging the receiver will be a PITA.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Resale question :

Search Anandtech, [H], OCN, etc. for similar parts in a 1-3 month timeframe barring any giant changes to price (new GPU sell offs, new socket, etc).

If you can't find the part, compare up and down a tier.

Katoki

Found out I shot myself in the foot. Tried plugging brother's PSU into my board and same results unless only having the power switch header plugged in doesn't allow it to start but I highly doubt that.

I suppose I'll have to go look over the SFF build link real fast and then purchase another board ASAP. Either way I'll have to reformat my OS drive since they never play nice with motherboard changes unless anyone has any further experience on this.

Link

Is there a significant enough difference between these two if I plan on future OC? The $15 "rebate" card wouldn't hurt. The only thing I got out of it was:

The only difference is the /WD or the WiDi - PC to TV with Intel Wireless Display (WiDi) and you pay the extra $15-$20 for that

Edit: Just to cover my bases:

Since I can't check if the CPU is dead:

Can you run a mobo without a CPU? Or does it require a working CPU to run? Or will a dead CPU prevent a working mobo from running? The thing was that with the ethernet plugged in, the port would light up and occasionally flash but I'm not sure if it's indicative of anything at all. Also when I hit the power, ethernet would go orange and green and then die out.

kharma45

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/IhmN

Does this look ok? I tried to base it on the one in the op as best as I could but some parts weren't available.

Looks ok. If you're buying the 3570K for overclocking, you'll need a z77 board - that h77 one won't overclock. I went for the gigabyte z77 mitx which also has some limitations (should get you to 4GHz easy enough) but is quite a bit cheaper than other ones. Cooler should be ok, but check if there are any fitting issues, mitx boards are tiny and some have issues with clearance for cooler.

kharma45 suggested not going with XFX because they have bad returns for the UK - consider the gigabyte above it - faster and a tiny bit cheaper too

Yeah try to avoid XFX, and go Gigabyte or MSI preferably. Sapphire and ASUS also do good 7850s too but their RMA isn't quite as good as the first two.

Change your RAM to this stuff https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-017-SA&tool=3

Optical drive to this if you for some reason really want a BR drive http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...tm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker

Change to Z77 to allow for overclocking as well for your motherboard. Also worth looking to see whether the Hyper 212 is compatible with the case and the mobo, some ITX can have mounting issues iirc from what mkenyon said and I'd imagine in the prodigy it might be a very tight squeeze.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
1. For how long you've used it.
2. The condition it's currently in.
3. Compare it to Amazon price and reduce the price a bit.

Search Anandtech, [H], OCN, etc. for similar parts in a 1-3 month timeframe barring any giant changes to price (new GPU sell offs, new socket, etc).

If you can't find the part, compare up and down a tier.

I see, comparing prices for an almost identical build ( barring differences due to replaced items , e.g 2600k -> 3770k ) it would cost roughly $2600 using the same site I bought my parts from during the past 12-18 months or w/e.

If the store's asking price is $2600 for a similar pc, what would be a fair and good offer? For a pc/parts that is in impeccable condition.

brentech

It's arrived! Can't believe how fucking big the Switch 810 is. Also seem to be a fuck up on the order and I received some extra fans so they will come in handy.
wow, that is a lot of case fans, lol.

Have fun. My build re-ignited my old passion of the PC. Things have come a long way, even since my last build in 09 where I just sort of slapped it all together without a care.
It makes me want to build another computer already, just for the sake of doing it, lol.

red731

I think I have finalized my build -

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M - Intel Z77
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K
+cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ EVO
+thermal paste: Arctic Cooling MX-4 (4g)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black Low Profile 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600
GFX: GIGABYTE HD7970 Ultra Durable 3GB
OS HDD: Samsung SSD 840 Series - 128GB, Pro
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 - 1TB
Drive: ASUS DRW-24B5ST black
PSU: Seasonic M12II-750 Bronze (SS-750AM F3) 750W
Case: Fractal DEFINE R4 Black Pearl
+fans - 2x Noctua NF-F12 PWM

I will buy it in less than a month(maybe in under 14 days) and I am still open to changes and ideas.

Deprive

Have a temp question for pc-gaf. Temps provided by realtemp, proc is 3570k at stock.
The four cores hover around the below at idle

29 29 38 33

usually don't go past 50 on load. Are these good temps for the 3570k?

knitoe

Have a temp question for pc-gaf. Temps provided by realtemp, proc is 3570k at stock.
The four cores hover around the below at idle

29 29 38 33

usually don't go past 50 on load. Are these good temps for the 3570k?

Under 70C is fine. You should run something Prime95 to see your max temp.

is there such a thing as a wireless KVM switch? I want to use my mouse/keyboard with my new gaming PC (Arriving today) and also with my work laptop - both in my home office.

I'd hoped I could sync to two unifying receivers but logitech don't support that, so I need other options. Manually plugging/unplugging the receiver will be a PITA.

Yeah try to avoid XFX, and go Gigabyte or MSI preferably. Sapphire and ASUS also do good 7850s too but their RMA isn't quite as good as the first two.

Change your RAM to this stuff https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-017-SA&tool=3

Optical drive to this if you for some reason really want a BR drive http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...tm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker

Change to Z77 to allow for overclocking as well for your motherboard. Also worth looking to see whether the Hyper 212 is compatible with the case and the mobo, some ITX can have mounting issues iirc from what mkenyon said and I'd imagine in the prodigy it might be a very tight squeeze.
alright, thanks guys. made some changes to it - switched to a z77 motherboard, changed the video card to Gigabyte and the ram to the Samsung stuff.

it does seem that the cooler is going to have some problems with the case though, so I removed it. Is there any that will be compatible with it? Do I even need a fan?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KKq9

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'm stuck already. The screws are too short to join the motherboard to the case. I'm using the screws which came with the case.

I can get 2 in but it seems impossible to push down on the board to get the others in. There are spring like screws on the motherboard could they be causing the issue? Shall I push them in?

kennah

You have the brass standoffs underneath your motherboard right? You aren't trying to screw it directly to the backplate? What case do you have?

brentech

I'm stuck already. The screws are too short to join the motherboard to the case. I'm using the screws which came with the case.

I can get 2 in but it seems impossible to push down on the board to get the others in. There are spring like screws on the motherboard could they be causing the issue? Shall I push them in?

STANDOFFM3Alarge-10-2-BD.jpg

Do you have these put into your case, and then trying to screw the MOBO screws threw the MOBO into the above pictured standoff screws?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
alright, thanks guys. made some changes to it - switched to a z77 motherboard, changed the video card to Gigabyte and the ram to the Samsung stuff.

it does seem that the cooler is going to have some problems with the case though, so I removed it. Is there any that will be compatible with it? Do I even need a fan?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KKq9

I almost went crazy trying to find a combo of mini itx board and decent cooler. The case has plenty of room but the motherboard is tricky.

I'd stick with the stock cooler for a while unless you really want to overclock - that motherboard will only get you to 4GHz, maybe 4.2, so you don't need a huge cooler anyway.

If you do (either now or later), look at the Corsair H60. Closed loop water cooler which will easily fit on the CPU because that part is small, the cooling fins are moved to a radiator which mounts on one of your fan mounts.

Do you really need the bluray drive? Fine if you do (won't be able to play bluray movies without extra software though). But if not, and you download most stuff, you could put that money towards upgrading your 7850 to a 7870. just a thought.

you should have some standoffs, which are brass colored "extenders" that have holes for the MB screws to go in.

you screw those in the case holes, place the MB on top, then screw the MB screws in those holes.

Do you have these put into your case, and then trying to screw the MOBO screws threw the MOBO into the above pictured standoff screws?

Yes, that's exactly how it works. Screw the brass screws directly into the case at the positions where there are holes in the case. Line up the MB on top, and then use actual screws to go through the MB holes and into the standoffs

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Thanks guys. Got everything in now. All I have left is to connect the cables to the mobo and psu. Are there any useful guides so I know what to plug in?

The installation papers aren't too great.

kennah

Thinking of going mini-ITX... Compact Splash or Caselabs S3?

Love the look of the S3, love the size of the Compact Splash... Decisions!

JOIN US! Think of it this way - the Compact Splash is a limited run, S3 will be available going forward. Also they got up to 20 orders so it's now $20 cheaper than it was before! If you don't like it - sell it and get an S3. Win win!

JOIN US! Think of it this way - the Compact Splash is a limited run, S3 will be available going forward. Also they got up to 20 orders so it's now $20 cheaper than it was before! If you don't like it - sell it and get an S3. Win win!

Haha, yeah I'm this close to pulling the trigger... dat integrated fill and drain port! If I do, I'm gonna bug ya for your parts list! (WC virgin)

Wait... so if I order on the last day it might get even cheaper? Or is the discount retroactive?

mkenyon

Banned
Thinking of going mini-ITX... Compact Splash or Caselabs S3?

Love the look of the S3, love the size of the Compact Splash... Decisions!
If you aren't set on having the smallest case possible, the S3 will be the way to go in terms of both features and capability. The Compact Splash will be more of a collector's item that really stands out as a cool piece of tech.

kennah

Haha, yeah I'm this close to pulling the trigger... dat integrated fill and drain port! If I do, I'm gonna bug ya for your parts list! (WC virgin)

Wait... so if I order on the last day it might get even cheaper? Or is the discount retroactive?

Discount is retroactive but the $20 off right now is the maximum discount. Also it doesn't list it on the website but if you want to order extra/different side panels they're $15 each. You can PM SHE LOVES E on Overclock.net or put it in the comments of your order.

mkenyon helped me spec out the WC system, I can forward along what he gave me. But any of the build threads on OC.net have basically what I'm getting anyway.

EDIT: I love the customizability of the case. Neat to get it just the colour I want with my name on there. (Though one of the surprise colours for the S3 was almost the exact blue I was getting anyway)

If you aren't set on having the smallest case possible, the S3 will be the way to go in terms of both features and capability. The Compact Splash will be more of a collector's item that really stands out as a cool piece of tech.

Yeah, I'll have to compromise on my HDD if I go with the Splash, and it'll wreak havoc on my Steam Mover I think. But mini-ITX is all about size and compromises so the Splash makes sense. However, I LOVE the look of the S3 and that mobo layout, plus all those windows you can get for it would really let you show off the innards of your PC, which is something I desperately want after my windowless SG09.

I'm like a dog chasing my own tail!

Mad Max

Hey guys. My current PC is a: AMD 955BE @ 3.9Ghz, 12GB 1333Mhz DDR3 (2x4+2x8), samsung 830 128GB SSD, HD7950, Lian Li PC101B, Corsair TX650 PSU and some other stuff that's mostly irrelevant. I was thinking of the following upgrade this summer for around €500: Haswell 4670K, a good S1150 aircooler, a good S1150 board and a Fractal Design Define R4 (since the Lian Li has terrible airflow).
Now I was wondering if upgrading my memory to say: 16GB 1600Mhz is also needed, since the memory I'm using now is somewhat slower then what most people seem to use these days, or if this doesn't matter much in terms of real world performance. The only demanding stuff I'd use the PC for is gaming and some Matlab coding, however I don't really need the extra 4GB right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom