• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varna

I installed the Accelero Twin Turbo on my 690 two weeks before it died. Any chance this could have been the cause? I don't really see any way it could have done it, I followed the instructions, reference online for some tips on installing it. When it was done I had no issues. GPU was turning on without issues, cooler was working as advertized. I ask this because it was just so a sudden. Usually, there seems to be a lot of symptoms to card getting ready to go. Heavy artifacts, that kind of thing.

Anyone have any insight? Evga just approved my RMA and my replacement 690 should be here tomorrow. I really want to use this cooler since it performed extremely well. I want to believe that it was just a coincidence that my card happened to die two weeks after installing it. What kind of things should I be cautious about?

Toski

I just bought a Cooler Master Storm Trooper & AMD 7970 OC. I was reading this article on Haswell and was wondering if I'd be better off getting Ivy Bridge now or wait of Haswell?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone have any insight? Evga just approved my RMA and my replacement 690 should be here tomorrow. I really want to use this cooler since it performed extremely well. I want to believe that it was just a coincidence that my card happened to die two weeks after installing it. What kind of things should I be cautious about?
Did you apply the VRM heatsinks well?
Do anything with max power draw and overclocking?
Is going from a 560 Ti to a 670 a decent upgrade? I've been looking at these two

Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 WF2 2GB

Which would be better?
Yes, and either the Gigabyte OC model (3 fans) or the ASUS. Dunno which has better warranty service in AUS.
I just bought a Cooler Master Storm Trooper & AMD 7970 OC. I was reading this article on Haswell and was wondering if I'd be better off getting Ivy Bridge now or wait of Haswell?
The Tom's article seems to point to about 10% speed boost per clock which isn't that big a deal. Dunno about pricing or SKUs or how well they OC or what is changing on the mobo chipset. If you can wait the new socket should support the next jump of chips. I think. I actually haven't checked.

DeVeAn

There's an okay wiggle and a bad wiggle, and it's really hard to describe. Make sure everything's tightened as far as you can with a screwdriver, cross-tighten the mounting screws, and double-check the nut on the pin that connects the spidery-looking bracket to the actual HSF.

I had this problem as well. When I went to put the fan back on it moved. I had it as tight as possible though.

If one core is running hotter than the others by like 4C degrees should I worry?

Mandoric

Banned
I had this problem as well. When I went to put the fan back on it moved. I had it as tight as possible though.

If one core is running hotter than the others by like 4C degrees should I worry?

A 4C swing is perfectly fine. Like Hazaro said, that's a tighter range than most people get.

When I had mine (in retrospect) half-off, it ran like the stock cooler except quieter. Fixing it gave me about 15 degrees in Prime95 and 20+ in less demanding tasks, at 300mhz and 0.1 volts higher. So it's pretty obvious in operation if you're not clamped down all the way.

brentech

Ran OCCT through the night on my 3570K overclocked to 4.5Ghz.
Everything went swimmingly. So happy with this build and much props to the OP and help from anyone else that contributes.
Some of the parts never would have been on my radar.

That 212 Evo really does an excellent job for an air cooler. CPU stayed consistent at 68C (give or take 2 degrees at times), almost never jumping up to 70 or 71.

Much props. Machine is so damn fast. This is my first SSD as well, and got damn does it make a difference.

Bought some Corsair fans to replace CM Evo Fan it was making a ton of noise and rear case fan. CM 690 case. Incredible difference in sound and even the temp on CPU went down a few degrees under load with new SP fan.

Out of focus but child was trying to assist with unboxing.

a5a073a0-0e24-4896-885f-ef6fdc4e517c_zps43a4871e.jpg

ekim

Short question :
One Titan or 2 Crossfired 7970s?
Both options have the same price tag - I guess the performance is better on the Crossfire option? Does Titan have exclusive features that are more future proof?

HoosTrax

Any particular reason for getting a 4GB video card right now? (practical reasons I mean, not epeen contests with PS4 diehards)

I'd like to get at least a 2GB card because some of the CUDA stuff I do requires it, but 4GB seems like overkill.

kennah

Nothing is futureproof. But it is currently the most powerful single gpu consumer video card.

Re 4gig. Do you play games with lots of mods? If not then 4gig is a bit unnecessary - right now

When installing a new motherboard bios, do i have to wipe my OS too? I've only done it with a fresh hard drive and never with a HDD that already has an OS and the old motherboard BIOS on it

angelfly

Any particular reason for getting a 4GB video card right now? (practical reasons I mean, not epeen contests with PS4 diehards)

I'd like to get at least a 2GB card because some of the CUDA stuff I do requires it, but 4GB seems like overkill.

Mods, downsampling, high res texture packs, and potentially next gen games that push the current cards harder.

When installing a new motherboard bios, do i have to wipe my OS too? I've only done it with a fresh hard drive and never with a HDD that already has an OS and the old motherboard BIOS on it

You don't have to wipe your OS.

brentech

No need to do anything to what's on the HDDs. Just run the flash update and no software should be effected.

HoosTrax

I will say that the current pack-in promo that Nvidia is running is one of the lamest I've seen in a long time. "$150" worth of F2P game vouchers. Yippee...

There was a pretty killer one running a while back, think it had Borderlands 2, Hitman: Absolution, and Sleeping Dogs.

angelfly

I will say that the current pack-in promo that Nvidia is running is one of the lamest I've seen in a long time. "$150" worth of F2P game vouchers. Yippee...

There was a pretty killer one running a while back, think it had Borderlands 2, Hitman: Absolution, and Sleeping Dogs.

Wasn't Hitman and Sleeping Dogs AMD? I remember the Nvidia promos being Borderlands 2 and AC3.

HoosTrax

Wasn't Hitman and Sleeping Dogs AMD? I remember the Nvidia promos being Borderlands 2 and AC3.
Yeah you might be right. I just remember it being a far more attractive offer than a bunch of worthless F2P credits. Hell, even now, AMD is offering Bioshock Infinite + Tomb Raider, and that's for a $250 card.

Koroviev

Short question :
Both options have the same price tag - I guess the performance is better on the Crossfire option? Does Titan have exclusive features that are more future proof?

Crossfire isn't worth anything right now. Either a single 7970 or a Titan. No such thing as future proof, so perhaps go with the card that is on the price/performance curve unless you have triple monitors or the need to have the very best.

kharma45

You should OC your processor to at least 4.0GHz. Likely won't require any bump in voltage, so it's free performance.

Both the 7970 and 7950 are great buys.

Passmark doesn't have much to do with gaming performance.

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

Know of any graphs that have Piledriver comparisons?

Edit - Found some for the 8350 http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed Tech Report actually seem to like the 8350 for the most part

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
What is the price on this?

I had a $1500 budget and this came in just under $1400. So worked out great.

My usual budget for a new system the last 2-3 times I built one was $750-$900 but I always end up bottle necking myself or buying something that is already outdated.

This one should last me a long time and be very upgrade friendly if I need to.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What would you choose between i7 3820 and 87 3770k without considering overclocking?

3820 seems better for less money, no? Or will the motherboard cost nullify any advantage?

Edit: motherboard cost brings it to about price parity here, so what's better?

Edit: nevermind I guess, this seems to answer that.

kharma45

angelfly

What would you choose between i7 3820 and 87 3770k without considering overclocking?

3820 seems better for less money, no? Or will the motherboard cost nullify any advantage?

You'll be paying more for a 2011 motherboard and unless you're doing something to take advantage of the the 2011 platform you're paying more for less as the 3770k outperforms the 3820 for gaming. That said you'll have the advantage of being able to update to a better SB-E processor and IB-E which is coming down the road. LGA1155 is done as far as upgrading goes.

Alexios

Thanks, sticking with 3770K. Don't really plan to upgrade any time soon so probably even that socket will be obsolete by then.

kharma45

Thanks, sticking with 3770K. Don't really plan to upgrade any time soon so probably even that socket will be obsolete by then.

Haswell is out in 3 months with the new 1150 socket if you're in no rush, it's only around 10% faster mind but if you're in no rush to upgrade part of me would say wait to see when it launches.

Alexios

I just clicked to order the motherboard and ram...

Why didn't anyone tell me that's gonna happen when I was asking if we're close to any such hardware changes :p

I can probably still cancel it.

Do you think they'll have a comparable CPU with the current price of the 3770K or that this one's price will drop then?

In European pricing.

Wikipedia lists the 4770K as $450 but I don't know if that one's comparable to 3770K (+10% as you say) or a higher end.

I assume motherboards will have higher pricing too for a while... But still this could lead to price cuts for Ivy Bridge, yeah?

angelfly

I just clicked to order the motherboard and ram...

Why didn't anyone tell me that's gonna happen when I was asking if we're close to any such hardware changes :p

I can probably still cancel it.

Do you think they'll have a comparable CPU with the current price of the 3770K or that this one's price will drop then?

In European pricing.

Wikipedia lists the 4770K as $450 but I don't know if that one's comparable to 3770K (+10% as you say) or a higher end.

There hasn't been any official price announcements AFAIK but keep in mind Intel always launches at about the same price as what they're replacing. So the 4770k will most likely release at the same MSRP as the 3770k. Individual retailers might lower the price of the 3770k but Intel won't.

kennah

There were no price cuts to the 2500K and 2600K when the 3570K and 3770K came out. You aren't really missing out on much (most likely). If you can return/cancel the order and don't mind waiting until June/July. Then cancel and wait. If nothing else the socket will last slightly longer.

But the reality is - hardware currently is SO FAR ahead of software that unless you're doing super high end stuff the difference between the CPUs is minimal.

Alexios

Thanks, I've gone with the i7 3770K and I finally ordered everything as every time I look things up I keep changing mind and reconsidering and waiting, since last year even. They should all arrive in a few days (different stores were used), then I'll set it up all stock and later on look into better cooling (more case fans which has room for ~10, a better CPU cooler - actually I have one already that I'll see if it fits in this case, though I don't yet have fans for it) to OC with (not extreme, maybe 4GHz?).

I'll take a photo to show the difference between noob/stock and mkenyon/elite if it's not too embarrassing of a result.

mkenyon

Banned
Short question :
This is what you get with two 7970s right now:

fr-2_0.png

Might be worth looking at changing budget CPU away from the Pentium in the OP

"Just make sure that CPU isn't the Pentium G2120, whose woeful performance in a couple tests proved to us that you probably do need 3-4 cores, or at least threads—or, you know, maybe AVX and higher self-esteem—to run today's games optimally."

http://techreport.com/review/23662/amd-a10-5800k-and-a8-5600k-trinity-apus-reviewed/16
That budget build is just so people can get a working PC, not just for playing games. The reason the pentium is in there is that if they do want to upgrade at a later date, they have the right chipset/RAM.

Edit: motherboard cost brings it to about price parity here, so what's better?

Edit: nevermind I guess, this seems to answer that.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That's the whole point of SB/IB/SB-E, is that you get 30% extra linear performance. So, including overclocking, the 3820 for sure. 3820s can fairly reliably get to 4.8-5.0 with the right cooling, 3770K realistically is in the 4.3-4.5 region for a 24/7 OC.
Fantastic work as always. That's a gorgeous setup.
Did you intentionally use the yellow power cables for the GPU? It matches perfectly with the other yellow bits in the rest of the build. Either way, that's some very nice color scheming.
TY :p

I thought the same thing! Even the sticker on the side of the PSU is yellow. Was a total accident.
What is the price on this?
I'm not sure what the final MSRP was when he bought the parts. Maybe $1200 or so?
But the reality is - hardware currently is SO FAR ahead of software that unless you're doing super high end stuff the difference between Intel CPUs is minimal.
FIFY :p

I always feel super iffy about refurbished cards. I'd really suggest a 7850/7870 or a used card from GAF.

It's tough not to just go for it at that price though as performance is right at a GTX570. I won't purchase ATI consumer cards anymore, I'm sure the 7800's are great cards but, I also use my rig for development and editing. Nvidia consumer cards have always worked for me, and the have CUDA, but, every ATI card I've used gave me problems eventually. Even the ones in the newer macs screw up and overheat when rendering.

lmpaler

Alright so GTX 670 is installed, latest drivers installed via USB from the website. Now I am left with this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kq2k2bwrg6ahzr/IMAG0144.jpg?m

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4wlnehbgs3aqtk/IMAG0145.jpg?m

The color was fine when I was using the 3570k built in GPU to do all the installing of Windows and Drivers etc. Is the card borked or the lanes borked?

The card has both 6 pin connectors plugged in, each running to the PSU itself(HX750), it is seated and everything seems to be running fine. I plan to run this via HDMI to my HDTV when I get home, I plan to try another monitor soon.

Also the card won't bring up the BIOS when I press DEL or F2(the buttons used on the AsRock Z77 Extreme 4). But it will boot into Windows and give me the color scheme above.

The only thing I have not done yet is update the BIOS of the mobo itself.

mkenyon

Banned
Try a different monitor cable, but yeah, the previous error code with this is leading me to believe your video card is no good. Definitely try a different cable first though.

lmpaler

I thought so, I will try a few more things before justing doing an RMA. Is there a way to check if the PCIE lanes are bad? Should I RMA the mobo as a safeguard?

mkenyon

Banned
Do you have a different card to try in it? Do you have a different motherboard to try the card in? That'd be the only way to check. But, it would also be pretty unlikely.

metalshade

Hey guys, I am running an currently stock 2500k on a P8Z77-V LK with 8gb of 1600 ram with a corsair cx500 watt 80+ certified psu.
When they arrive, will my cm 212 CPU cooler and gigabyte 7950 pull too much for my supply?
I am planning to oc to about 4.4 ish fairly soon too.

Sure hope dabs still have a supply of those free codes for crysis and bioshock.

lmpaler

Do you have a different card to try in it? Do you have a different motherboard to try the card in? That'd be the only way to check. But, it would also be pretty unlikely.

I do not, first build in 6 years and I was just using a cheap laptop for school purposes.

kharma45

That budget build is just so people can get a working PC, not just for playing games. The reason the pentium is in there is that if they do want to upgrade at a later date, they have the right chipset/RAM.

For some reason I thought the AMD APUs were at the same price point as the G860 in the US as it is in the UK as a viable alternative but apparently not, so ignore me :p

Double D

I've been having a stupidly ridiculous internal struggle about which GPU to buy in order to upgrade my GTX 465. Considered going to a 7950 or a 7970. Now I'm at the point where I'm considering a GTX 680. I have no goddamn idea what to do anymore.

I'll ask this. If they were the exact same price; 7970 or 680? Also, any reason to wait for the Next Big Thing™?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom