• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double D

You should OC your processor to at least 4.0GHz. Likely won't require any bump in voltage, so it's free performance.

Both the 7970 and 7950 are great buys.

Ok, so is the 7970 worth the extra $100? In either case, which brand should I go for? Sapphire, HIS, Powercolor, Gigabyte?

Threi

notag
How does the i3-3220 stack up against the i5-3470 considering the $100 difference.

Also
i3-3220 with 7850 2GB DDR5
vs
i5-3470 with 7770 1GB DDR5

Sorry for so many questions.
I think the i3 will give you more performance now (the videocard matters more in today's games) but ive noticed that the i3 has been getting an increasingly bad rep outside of gaf because its dual core.

Koroviev

I think the i3 will give you more performance now (the videocard matters more in today's games) but ive noticed that the i3 has been getting an increasingly bad rep outside of gaf because its dual core.

Doesn't matter with hyper threading. It's the threads that count.

asdad123

Well looks like the first graphics card I bought was faulty. After first switching out my motherboard, then my power supply and nothing working, I put in a new graphics card, and now I'm finally up and running. (Well, it was running before on the HDMI out of the motherboard). It was a little more expensive than I wanted to spend (Had to spend an extra $200 on the graphics card and $170 on the power supply), but well worth it.

Here it is!

image-5_zpsda3cab3f.jpg

Cant wait to play some games on it.

mkenyon

Banned
How does the i3-3220 stack up against the i5-3470 considering the $100 difference.

Also
vs

You'll get better performance with the former, but I'd really suggest saving up and getting an i5 with the 7850.

lmpaler

So I got the parts, everything is powered and running, but the mobo is giving error code 62 "Installation of south bridge runtime servies"

Before it was A2 "IDE detect"

How do i fix this? The monitor just says check signal cable whether I hook it to the gpuor the mobo gfx(gtx 670 which I took out for the time being until I get everything running)

brentech

My SSD finally arrived. Currently installing windows and going smoothly so far.
Using the SSD windows 7 install guide to hopefully achieve optimized results

mkenyon

Banned
So I got the parts, everything is powered and running, but the mobo is giving error code 62 "Installation of south bridge runtime servies"

Before it was A2 "IDE detect"

How do i fix this? The monitor just says check signal cable whether I hook it to the gpuor the mobo gfx(gtx 670 which I took out for the time being until I get everything running)
What motherboard? Update BIOS is the answer, but we need to figure out which mobo you have before I can tell you how to do that without being able to boot into BIOS. :p

lmpaler

What motherboard? Update BIOS is the answer, but we need to figure out which mobo you have before I can tell you how to do that without being able to boot into BIOS. :p

Sorry. Asrock Extreme 4. How can I update the BIOS when the screen on the monitor says check signal cable? I tried to reset CMOS, made sure everything is plugged in and seated, it is. Everything is running along, but the monitor won't come on so I can't see if I am getting a boot or not

EDIT: Took the card physically out and it is booting and installing now, will post back with success or failure

kikonawa

Also
vs

I would go for the i3- 3220 if I where you. gaming wise you wont notice much difference with that videocard (i have the same cpu)
plus is 110$ cheaper, and you can easy upgrade later on if needed

scogoth

Done some Benchmarks. Will tweak some stuff to try and improve scores.

Cinebench 64bit: CPU - 12.30
Cinebench 64bit: OpenGL - 57.81

Novebench: 2529

Geekbench 64bit - 23,777

Edit:
Hmm I just noticed in my Geekbench results the ram is at 834MHz but the sticks I got are 1866MHz.

I'll have to look into that.

DDR, double data rate. They are actually running at 1668MHz. May need to change some things in the bios to run at 1866Mhz

I've never dealt with refurbs or 3Btech.com but, they have an N560GTX-448 TWIN FROZR III POWER ED/OC for $169. It's a refurbished unit but, if one were on a serious budget and wanted to upgrade his GTX460 in anticipation for Bioshock Infinite how would the 560ti-448 fare?

TLDR - should I buy this?

http://3btech.net/msin5twfriii.html

mkenyon

Banned
I've never dealt with refurbs or 3Btech.com but, they have an N560GTX-448 TWIN FROZR III POWER ED/OC for $169. It's a refurbished unit but, if one were on a serious budget and wanted to upgrade his GTX460 in anticipation for Bioshock Infinite how would the 560ti-448 fare?

TLDR - should I buy this?

http://3btech.net/msin5twfriii.html
I always feel super iffy about refurbished cards. I'd really suggest a 7850/7870 or a used card from GAF.

Two things: 1) Its probably already been posted but the Samsung 840 pro 256gb is $219.99 with the promo code EMCYTZT3127 as a daily deal. Link
2) My goal with the build that mkenyon and several others have been helping me with has been power, and quietness. I was originally going to go with a 7970, and sure, it's way over my original price limit, but I have succumbed to the voices whispering in my ear saying, "fuck it, get a Titan". So, before I order, I just want to make sure that this titan won't have any issues with an ASUS Maximus V Gene mobo and SeaSonic SS-660XP 660W ATX12V PSU.

Arulan

Two things: 1) Its probably already been posted but the Samsung 840 pro 256gb is $219.99 with the promo code EMCYTZT3127 as a daily deal. Link
2) My goal with the build that mkenyon and several others have been helping me with has been power, and quietness. I was originally going to go with a 7970, and sure, it's way over my original price limit, but I have succumbed to the voices whispering in my ear saying, "fuck it, get a Titan". So, before I order, I just want to make sure that this titan won't have any issues with an ASUS Maximus V Gene mobo and SeaSonic SS-660XP 660W ATX12V PSU.

The voices are always right. ;) And congrats.

DeVeAn

So I followed this video on YouTube with the same parts I have. I got up to 4.0Ghz on my 2500K. I have the voltage at 1.3 temps under load are 67. 72. 75. 71. Should I bring down the voltage?

I knew I should've stocked up on the Samsung 8GB, but put it off until too late. Still thinking about trying to grab it from the retailers who still have it (and are starting to gouge), but is anyone here selling an extra set by any chance?

Failing that, are there any recommendable alternatives? Is it really bad to mix memory, even if you try to match the specs?

Mad Max

Quick question about memory performance: Is there much of a speed difference between 2x4GB+2x2GB 1333Mhz and say 2x8GB 1600Mhz, when only gaming is concerned?

knitoe

Welcome to the club. Watch the voices in your head will say "SLI". I couldn't resist so my 2nd EVGA SC is coming tomorrow. And, you might want to ordered from Amazon in case you want for easy return / full refund.

So I followed this video on YouTube with the same parts I have. I got up to 4.0Ghz on my 2500K. I have the voltage at 1.3 temps under load are 67. 72. 75. 71. Should I bring down the voltage?
1.3V is not bad. Instead of decreasing voltage, how about increasing the speed at the same voltage?

DeVeAn

Welcome to the club. Watch the voices in your head will say "SLI". I couldn't resist so my 2nd EVGA SC is coming tomorrow. And, you might want to ordered from Amazon in case you want for easy return / full refund.

1.3V is not bad. Instead of decreasing voltage, how about increasing the speed at the same voltage?
Great idea lol. Trying it now.

mkenyon

Banned
If you are spending $1000 on a video card, it's worth every dime to get a great PSU for it. Fortunately this seasonic X650 is heavily discounted right now. Go with that one.

Love the OC options in the BIOS, there are some really amazing features with this board that make it stand out if you want to push your hardware to its limits. Doing a Linpack run on a 3570K @ 4.4GHz, 1.18V. That could be chip lottery, but this processor is definitely showing promise. Since it's not mine, I won't be pushing it to its limits. Now that I've been able to play with it though, I like it nearly as much as my UP7, which is double the price of this one. Pretty fantastic board.

That's great to hear! Maybe i will shell out the extra for the mpower now. Is it fairly easy to OC with? Also what do you think of quality? I want something reliable that wont break in a year (i.e. my Asus p8z68)

mkenyon

Banned
Motherboard reliability is really a crapshoot. There are some boards in particular that are prone to bad things happening (MSI's GD series) or really terrible BIOS (EVGA boards), but they all have an extremely small chance of failing.

OC'ing was a breeze, I am going to play around with Offset OC'ing tonight to see how it goes.
Ok, but other than that, in a r4 case, I should be good, right?
Definitely. I might consider grabbing an extra fan or two though, as there's a lot of benefits to keeping that card cool. If you wanted to come up to build it, I have tons of extras.

DeVeAn

So I could reach 4.3Ghz with 1.3V on 2500K it seemed stable. I pushed it to 4.4Ghz with same V and it got BSOD. How far can I push the V? Is there a amount that I should not go past?

kennah

Can I have your F2P Nvidia code :p

mkenyon

Banned
So I could reach 4.3Ghz with 1.3V on 2500K it seemed stable. I pushed it to 4.4Ghz with same V and it got BSOD. How far can I push the V? Is there a amount that I should not go past?
Use temps to gauge how far you can push voltage. More volts = more heat.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I'd say keep the average below 70 for a good 24/7 overclock. Use OCCT Linpack or Prime 95 Small FFT to test that. 30-45 mins should give you a good idea of max temp.

dumbass question time, part 2.

I am connecting the cables from the case to the motherboard (so far this is the most annoying part after putting the heatsink on).

The case is a define r4.

I seem to have connected almost everything. There are three power cables coming from the upper part of the front cover (they seem connected to that 5/7/12V switch for fan). Two of them look like fan power connectors (three small pins, looks kind of like these http://www.acousticpc.com/images/cable_4inch_3pin_fan_power_y_cable.jpg), one of them looks like that old fashioned IDE power connector.

Weird thing, all fans from the case (rear one, and low/front one) are already connected for power to the mobo. So.. what do these cable do? Do I even bother connecting them? (the flat one I am not sure where it goes, the other two could go in my two extra chassis fan power pins on the motherboard, but those are very close to the cpu and the heatsinks makes it very difficult to connect anything there)....

Last question.. is there any cable difference between sata 2 and 3? They seem compatible, but I want to make sure I can reuse older sata cables without throttling the transfer speed.

mkenyon

Banned
dumbass question time, part 2.

I am connecting the cables from the case to the motherboard (so far this is the most annoying part after putting the heatsink on).

The case is a define r4.

I seem to have connected almost everything. There are three power cables coming from the upper part of the front cover (they seem connected to that 5/7/12V switch for fan). Two of them look like fan power connectors (three small pins, looks kind of like these http://www.acousticpc.com/images/cable_4inch_3pin_fan_power_y_cable.jpg), one of them looks like that old fashioned IDE power connector.

Weird thing, all fans from the case (rear one, and low/front one) are already connected for power to the mobo. So.. what do these cable do? Do I even bother connecting them? (the flat one I am not sure where it goes, the other two could go in my two extra chassis fan power pins on the motherboard, but those are very close to the cpu and the heatsinks makes it very difficult to connect anything there)....

Last question.. is there any cable difference between sata 2 and 3? They seem compatible, but I want to make sure I can reuse older sata cables without throttling the transfer speed.
1) Those are so you can manually adjust the fan speeds. You would plug the fans into the female fan headers on those wires, and then the four pin dongle into a molex power from your PSU. You then use the switch to change between voltage settings to reduce/increase fan speed.

2) Nope.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Played some NFS Most Wanted at full specs with the cpu at 4.4Ghz and was getting temps of mid 50C's with the highest going to 63C.

How is this?

brentech

Doing all my windows updates.

Figured I'd hop to old system and upload my pictures and post while I wait for all that to complete.

Loving it so far. No problems and runs fast as all hell. Obviously haven't even started to look at OC until I finish all basic updates/installs.

1) Those are so you can manually adjust the fan speeds. You would plug the fans into the female fan headers on those wires, and then the four pin dongle into a molex power from your PSU. You then use the switch to change between voltage settings to reduce/increase fan speed.

2) Nope.

Ahah, makes sense now. You're a king, thanks a lot. I will plug both chassis fan into it, if I can find enough length to do so. I assume I should leave the cpu fan connected straight to mobo.

I have been trying to tighten my heatsink, but I am at my strength's end. If I continue twisting the bolt behind turn as well, and those I really can't seem to get any tighter (plus I am afraid of fucking the mobo by using pliers. I am probably not using the right tool, but if the temps are too high I can always reopen the case and tighten everything).

Mandoric

Banned
Also.. my heatsink (hyper 212 evo) rotates if I try to. Bad sign? Some other people seem to say it's normal, it just feels very wrong to me.
Cheers guys.

There's an okay wiggle and a bad wiggle, and it's really hard to describe. Make sure everything's tightened as far as you can with a screwdriver, cross-tighten the mounting screws, and double-check the nut on the pin that connects the spidery-looking bracket to the actual HSF.

Oxn

does the gpu matter for stuff like video editing/3d rendering?
Pretty much nothing that isnt gaming related

comu

Neo Member
I have a voucher for Crysis 3 and Bioshock infinite, that came with my HD 7870, that I won't ever play. Anyone want to buy it from me? It could go towards a better CPU :)

I live in the UK and I'd prefer an amazon voucher.

Not too sure that I want to sell it but an offer for it might change my mind.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I have a voucher for Crysis 3 and Bioshock infinite, that came with my HD 7870, that I won't ever play. Anyone want to buy it from me? It could go towards a better CPU :)

I live in the UK and I'd prefer an amazon voucher.

Not too sure that I want to sell it but an offer for it might change my mind.

They've been going for $30-$40 each on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, so if that sounds reasonable to you, you'd probably get more action posting it in that thread.

Mandoric

Banned
does the gpu matter for stuff like video editing/3d rendering?
Pretty much nothing that isnt gaming related

Video work depends heavily on -what- video work. Most modern editors take advantage of GPU, effects works loves it, but the better encoders tend to be CPU-only.

rossonero

Well I tried to OC my 7950 from its 810/1200 stock speeds. I began by setting it to 1000/1575 and 20+ more power in CCC but that was a no go, everything was crashing. So I lowered it to 980MHz and everything was still crashing but first after 10-15 minutes of playing. So I installed the newest beta drivers and set the speed to 970MHz and everything is working fine except Far Cry 3 which I can't even start playing.

The temps are fine really, they were at 72 degrees on stock speeds and 76 degrees at 970MHz so I feel that I have a lot of wiggle room there considering the bad cooling in my case.

So I got three questions:

1. If I want to get higher clocks then I need to mess around with the voltage right? If my card stops at only 970MHz it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad one?

2. How picky are you guys with your OCs? Does every game need to function perfectly or are you not bothered if one doesn't even start like FC3 in my case?

3. Crysis 3 works really good, but the GPU core utilization seems to be all over the place despite the FPS being stable. It dips to 60% or something like that even if I'm just standing still and got stable 30 FPS in Very High.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom