• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh my goodness. Finally got to the point in my setup where I got around to switching to 144hz... Let's just say I have a massive grin on my face right now that won't go away. Absolutely cannot wait to try a game with this.
And another one converted.

:p

120/144Hz is the next big thing, and it's already here folks.

demented

For "max temps", make sure you are adding up the four cores and then averaging it. That'll be what you will want to use to assess max temp.

1) Do you want to watercool?

2) Do you want to push your CPU to its limit?

3) Do you want to run 3-way SLI/X-Fire?

4) Any other things that you will absolutely need? Good onboard sound? WiFi? Thunderbolt?

5) Max price? Preferred price?

1) No, maaaybe later

2) Not really, maybe in few years when I can't run stuff well.

3) Not really, 2 max.

4) I have wifi and sound card so not really, don't know what thunderbolt is so probably not :p

5) Preferred/max ~150e ( on that site, probably bit more in dollars)

M3z_

There's this right now:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1361181/...lightboost-perfect-motion-capable-crt-quality

That guy, Callsign Vega, is probably the most insane and awesome display enthusiast that exists, so I would not worry one ounce about the quality of it.

I thought I remembered you doing multimedia stuff, so I thought you might appreciate a gloss panel.

That still hasn't sold? Surprising.

You can get that monitor for less brand new, I guess he is charging a premium because he removed the matte layer on top of the screen. I don't know how hard of a mod that is, but considering there are places that sell the monitor for considerably less I'm not that surprised.

I been thinking about getting a 120hz monitor, but I can't go back to 1080p. When I first bought my Shimian I thought 1440p was beautiful, but I felt like it wasn't necessary and I could of lived without it. That was probably 2 months ago. Then I spent the last week with no video card, so no dual-link dvi, meaning I had to use a 1080p monitor and I quickly realized my eyes have been trained to a new standard. Text and web browsing is just so much better at 1440p. When I originally bought the Shimian I thought I was buying 1440p for gaming, but I have come to realize the real reason is for everyday use.

DocSeuss

If I wanted to set up a private network on a network, would that be possible?

Like... my family has a network that I am connected to, but I would like to connect my laptop to my desktop so I don't have to keep using my USB drive to transfer game files back and forth.

I don't want my family to be able to access my computer, though, just those two computers.

News Bot

Banned
Is it worth sticking with an Intel Q6600 2.4GHz and just overclocking the sum'bitch or should I dish out for a new motherboard and processor altogether?

This might be a Hackintosh related problem but I've noticed that my second hard drive (The one with all my media) take a bit too long to be read at first. I click on a large folder thinking its empty only for the files to appear a few seconds later.

Anyone know why?

Threi

notag
This might be a Hackintosh related problem but I've noticed that my second hard drive (The one with all my media) take a bit too long to be read at first. I click on a large folder thinking its empty only for the files to appear a few seconds later.

Anyone know why?
Might be your antivirus.

kennah

Is it worth sticking with an Intel Q6600 2.4GHz and just overclocking the sum'bitch or should I dish out for a new motherboard and processor altogether?
Totally friggin worth it. I just upgraded from a q6600 to a 2550k and it is literally twice as fast.

But. May as well wait for haswell since you are this close

ziadoz

Neo Member
Is there anything in particular I should go and adjust in my bios now my rig is all built and running? I set the boot device to get Windows 7 installed, but besides that I haven't really touched it since. I figured it's probably a good idea to get it all setup correctly first, before I start overclocking my CPU.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Now I've got everything working I'm redoing the cabling and fans.

I've found a SATA cable from the front which is for operating the I/O lights and reset button but where do I plug this one in?

I cant see anywhere on the mobo -

esata-power.jpg

System is running great, super happy about it :)

Before I install ubuntu/mint and start testing CUDA on the gpu, I'd love to wow my retinas a bit. Gameplay completely put aside, what's the current, out of the box, most beautiful game to benchmark a gpu? Bonus point if it happens to not be crysis, whose art I always thought kind of looked like ass (but yea, I am sure it's also very beautiful).

I tried 3d mark 2011 and cannot believe that it's not CG. That underwater demo is mind blowing.

DeVeAn

So after a day over OCing I went back to defaults and honestly the games I play I noticed no difference. I have the profile saved though so when the time comes I can just load it.

One last question though, not sure if its because I just went back to default speeds but, idle temps are at 42C. The stock cooler would idle at the same temps. Like I mentioned though probably because its been on most the day at the higher speed and its 84F ambient temps here.

scogoth

Now I've got everything working I'm redoing the cabling and fans.

I've found a SATA cable from the front which is for operating the I/O lights and reset button but where do I plug this one in?

I cant see anywhere on the mobo -

Plug a SATA power cable into it (from the PSU)

DSN2K

is my PSU bust ?

PPm.jpg

Im also getting unstable warnings during boot and the Southbridge is running stupidly hot from touch...

Im think -12 is wrong, shouldnt it be near -12 ?

Mandoric

Banned
So after a day over OCing I went back to defaults and honestly the games I play I noticed no difference. I have the profile saved though so when the time comes I can just load it.

One last question though, not sure if its because I just went back to default speeds but, idle temps are at 42C. The stock cooler would idle at the same temps. Like I mentioned though probably because its been on most the day at the higher speed and its 84F ambient temps here.

42C idle is pretty high, though I've never gone up to 1.3v even at 4.5ghz. Maybe you're still not on all the way? My thermostat's set to 22 or so, plus all the component heat that can build up in the case, plus I've got a small room heater, and I'm idling at about 27.

What's your case airflow/temp like?

i was wondering if i could get some help with this custom build idea. im wondering if this would be good enough to run at least skyrim at 30+FPS and maybe BF3 at 30+FPS

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [+100]
HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-2] (Single Hard Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+44] (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2x PCIe x1 & 3 PCI (Extreme OC Certified) [+27]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+97] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

update on the mother board : [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, HDMI, GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III, 2x Gen2 PCIe x16 & PCI

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Plug a SATA power cable into it (from the PSU)

Couldn't find a cable so I'll have to pick one up.

Now I've redone the cables I'm running into an issue. On boot sometimes only 1 fan loads with everything else off and I've got to reset a few times before all the fans and lights kick in.

Have I plugged something in wrong? The fan that only starts is one connected to the cha_fan2.

knitoe

Couldn't find a cable so I'll have to pick one up.

Now I've redone the cables I'm running into an issue. On boot sometimes only 1 fan loads with everything else off and I've got to reset a few times before all the fans and lights kick in.

Have I plugged something in wrong? The fan that only starts is one connected to the cha_fan2.

Check and see if they are enable in the bios.

So now that I should have my PC set up this weekend and ready to go, what are some of the better games, keeping in mind I'm not really interested in shooters?

mkenyon

Banned
TY Andy, haven't been keeping too close of an eye on it lately.

On a similar note, I received confirmation from Frozen CPU today that the LD PC-V7 will be in stock in a week. They're getting 120mm and 140mm variants in Black/Red, Black/Black, Black/White, and White/White.
So now that I should have my PC set up this weekend and ready to go, what are some of the better games, keeping in mind I'm not really interested in shooters?
Mount and Blade Warband. Install the Diplomacy mod from here. Thank me later.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
TY Andy, haven't been keeping too close of an eye on it lately.

On a similar note, I received confirmation from Frozen CPU today that the LD PC-V7 will be in stock in a week. They're getting 120mm and 140mm variants in Black/Red, Black/Black, Black/White, and White/White.

If I do buy a 900D I think I'm going to need a new PSU... The cables on my 2-3 yr old Silverstone Strider 1500W are way too short :|

lmpaler

Parts are in the mail for the RMA, my guess is that Newegg will have everything back to me by the 1st. Total bummer, but I guess this means I can learn more about my Linux OS on my laptop that I just put on.

It's really wicked actually, shame that more games are not natively supported. I run a hell of a lot smoother than Win 7 did on this latop and that came preinstalled on it.

Veelk

Banned
Can anyone tell me what would be the lowest priced graphics card that can play Crysis on ultra settings?

I currently have a Radeon 4800 and it is definitely time to upgrade. If there is anything within $300 or so, that'd be ideal.

mkenyon

Banned
$200 for the 24 Pin ATX and 8 Pin EPS.

Or you could do it yourself, grab some wire of the proper gauge, then head over to MDPC to get the tools, sleeve, and shrink.

scogoth

$200 for the 24 Pin ATX and 8 Pin EPS.

Or you could do it yourself, grab some wire of the proper gauge, then head over to MDPC to get the tools, sleeve, and shrink.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay harder then it looks. Did my first custom sleeving on the front panel connectors. God damn are those crimp pins small. ATX should be easier but I stupidly got 16AWG wire which is a little on the thick side

LowParry

I know this is kinda/sorta unrelated here but figured to ask, the G700 (mouse) seems to have some sucky battery life. Any suggestions to making it last longer?

I will say that the current pack-in promo that Nvidia is running is one of the lamest I've seen in a long time. "$150" worth of F2P game vouchers. Yippee...

There was a pretty killer one running a while back, think it had Borderlands 2, Hitman: Absolution, and Sleeping Dogs.

Hell you get that on cards as low as $180.

Try $159.99
http://slickdeals.net/f/5923030-XFX-Core-Edition-FX-785A-CNL4-Radeon-HD-7850-2GB-256-bit-GDDR5-159-99-after-MIR

DeVeAn

42C idle is pretty high, though I've never gone up to 1.3v even at 4.5ghz. Maybe you're still not on all the way? My thermostat's set to 22 or so, plus all the component heat that can build up in the case, plus I've got a small room heater, and I'm idling at about 27.

What's your case airflow/temp like?

I only have 2 case fans. The front and one on the back for exhaust, but the cables are cleaned up. I can't tighten the screws anymore. Should I try the spread method for the paste? I did the pea method.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I only have 2 case fans. The front and one on the back for exhaust, but the cables are cleaned up. I can't tighten the screws anymore. Should I try the spread method for the paste? I did the pea method.
Idle means jack. Load test it.

Ivy's temp sensors are crap at 'lower' temps.

DagsJT

And another one converted.

:p

120/144Hz is the next big thing, and it's already here folks.

Assuming you have SLI or Crossfire. My overclocked 7950 struggles to get 60fps on highest settings on so many games. I could drop my graphics right the way down to get 120fps but then it'll look a lot worse. My 120hz monitor is kinda wasted unfortunately.

red731

I've bought an absolute overkill of a PC that will arrive today without the GFX - that will arrive on Tuesday.

I can't wait to get that PC together and test it even tho it will run on HD 4000 until that beast arrives.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a neat way to switch my case fan speeds? My bitfenix spectre pro 230mm is noisy at full speed and it isn't necessary at idle. Is there a simple switch I can put inline to adjust the speed? I don't have any expansion slots or bays to mount a fan controller.

Also, some advice on fans would be cool. I'm currently just running a 230mm spectre pro as front intake, and the H60 with 120mm fan as exhaust. And then the GPU would be acting as another intake I guess (MSI Twin frozr 7950 so I think it exhausts into the case at least partly).

Should I add another exhaust/intake in the top or just leave it to naturally exhaust through the top vent? Or switch the H60 to intake at the rear, and have an exhaust in the roof?

Mandoric

Banned

Go with Hazaro's expertise over mine--I'm speaking from the one install I just did, he really knows his shit.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Assuming you have SLI or Crossfire. My overclocked 7950 struggles to get 60fps on highest settings on so many games. I could drop my graphics right the way down to get 120fps but then it'll look a lot worse. My 120hz monitor is kinda wasted unfortunately.

I'm starting to have trouble with 6950 CF. I generally get their by killing AA, and lowering effects that have the biggest impact on framerate. 120 fps is too good.

LowParry

How old is it? The max charge of rechargeable batteries decreases over time.

Brand new. And it did come with a Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA. I just notice that it will go from 3 green bar to 1 in maybe a matter of hours (3 - 4). Maybe I should just let it roll and see how much longer it run in the evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom