• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentech

All setup software wise, now I'm working on my overclock.

Decided to start off taking my 3570K to 4.5Ghz
Currently running OCCT and temperatures are looking good with hottest core at 68C, but still only 5min in. I'll let this run for quite a while and if I'm all good, I might just stick with it here until a later date if I feel it might need some more juice.

I'm using offset mode instead of fixed. Standard VCore for the chip is 1.1V. The settings I have allow a max VCore of 1.23V and seem to stay .1-.3 under that usually.
Happy with how this is going for time time being!

iavi

Currently running OCCT and temperatures are looking good with hottest core at 68C, but still only 5min in. I'll let this run for quite a while and if I'm all good, I might just stick with it here until a later date if I feel it might need some more juice.

I'm using offset mode instead of fixed. Standard VCore for the chip is 1.1V. The settings I have allow a max VCore of 1.23V and seem to stay .1-.3 under that usually.

30min in and that thing will have risen in temps so much. 4.5 isn't usually possible as a 24/7 OC on Ivy

brentech

30min in and that thing will have risen in temps so much. 4.5 isn't usually possible as a 24/7 OC on Ivy

I'm continuing to let it run and monitor it. I'm at 13min now, the hottest core tends to hang around 68 +/- 1C.
We'll see what happens. I have no problem taking it down if need be.

LowParry

Is that 68C at full load? It looks like you have something extremely similar to what I have except the video card I have is a Sapphire. I wouldn't mind upping my CPU speeds as long as I can keep things at a stock sort of level.

LowParry

Yeah, full load and 90% memory.
AVX linpack turned on. (via OCCT 4.4.0)

Interesting. I'll have to look into more of this overclocking business. It's a little intimidating. It was one of the reasons why I picked the parts I have was to do some overclocking.

brentech

Interesting. I'll have to look into more of this overclocking business. It's a little intimidating. It was one of the reasons why I picked the parts I have was to do some overclocking.

What MOBO do you have? If it's the ASRock Extreme 4, this is the guide I used
http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/...-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Also watched the overclock3d tutorial twice and jotted down some notes. I liked how the guy took care to do things methodically. I'll probably let this test run into the night to make sure temps stay about where they're at. It's hard to imagine them suddenly spiking after almost 30min now, but you never know.

DeVeAn

So I redid the thermal paste and even tighten down as tight as it can go I was able to turn the cooler while trying to put the fan back on. I mean I really had to try to move it. Not happy with that but its so tight already.

I got the temps 69,74,77,73 the one core just runs hotter for some reason.

So I guess 4.3Ghz with 1.3V is the sweet spot.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

I know for a fact that this isn't true. Sure, some Ivy chips cannot do it, but most can.

Also depends on the motherboard. I've had better luck with the upper end Z77 motherboards than the cheapo Z75 and Z77s.

It's booting!
Thanks for the help, everyone (esp. mkenyon).

Two (last?) questions:
a) Do I install the crap software that comes with the motherboard? I guess at least the 'drivers' (though I assume windows actually covers most of this stuff - i mean if there was no sata driver the drive wouldn't have booted..), and maybe the monitoring stuff (though in my experience mobo manufacturer software often have gaudy interfaces).

What about the software that comes with the card? Do I even try, or do I go straight to nivida?

b) Just realized my board doesn't have wifi, and I have no easy access to an ethernet jack. Mm. Can you share your iphone wifi connection over usb? (I know I can share the LTE connection, but I don't have enough bw to download windows updates and the such).

mkenyon

Banned
Hopefully you have another PC to do this, but, go to your motherboard manufacturer's website, and download:

Intel Chipset Drivers
NIC/LAN Driver
USB 3.0 Drivers
Audio drivers

Go to nvidia/amd website and download the video card drivers

Run Windows update after all of these are installed and you have network access. Then fill in the blanks with whatever windows doesn't grab.

As far as getting a network connection, get a set of Powerline Adapters. That'll turn any power outlet into an ethernet port.

It's booting!
Thanks for the help, everyone (esp. mkenyon).

Two (last?) questions:
a) Do I install the crap software that comes with the motherboard? I guess at least the 'drivers' (though I assume windows actually covers most of this stuff - i mean if there was no sata driver the drive wouldn't have booted..), and maybe the monitoring stuff (though in my experience mobo manufacturer software often have gaudy interfaces).

What about the software that comes with the card? Do I even try, or do I go straight to nivida?

b) Just realized my board doesn't have wifi, and I have no easy access to an ethernet jack. Mm. Can you share your iphone wifi connection over usb? (I know I can share the LTE connection, but I don't have enough bw to download windows updates and the such).

Stuff you can install

USB 2.0/3.0
LAN
Audio
Chipset.

For Video just go to the Manufacturer's site (AMD.com or NVidia.com) and get the drivers there.

The reason is that most of the time the driver version that comes with the card is outdated.

LowParry

What MOBO do you have? If it's the ASRock Extreme 4, this is the guide I used
http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/...-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Also watched the overclock3d tutorial twice and jotted down some notes. I liked how the guy took care to do things methodically. I'll probably let this test run into the night to make sure temps stay about where they're at. It's hard to imagine them suddenly spiking after almost 30min now, but you never know.

Nice. Yeah I'll check this out for sure. :D

Thanks again:)

For temp monitoring / fan control / yadda, do i use the mobo software, or do I use one of the programs mentioned in the OP?

For Temp montoring use the ones in the OP, for fan control im not sure (mkenyon can chime in there).

But fan speed monitoring, CPU/GPU info, Stress testing, GPU OCing, etc the stuff in the OP are pretty good (eg Ninite allows you to get the popular apps you might want on a machine via one source so messengers, compression software, media players, browsers, etc)

Om3ga

My old PC is kind of giving up on me, soooooooo I've finally decided to upgrade. I'm already stuck at the motherboard. Should I go with the Asrock Extreme 4 or Asrock Extreme 6. The reason I'm choosing this board is just because it came with free 8gigs of ram lol which I could either keep or sell. Just would like to know which to go with as there doens't really seem to be much difference except for the price. Which of the 2 boards is better for overclocking?

Decided to go with the Fractal Design Define R4 unless I get a better suggestion.

I also chose this power supply since I got it for $60 and somebody suggested I should get a 750watt PSU.... Should I get something else? I was impulsive and bought it because it was cheap, can't return it. So should I sell it? Or will it be fine. I read some reviews after and people seem to hate it and love it.

I also got a cheap 550Ti ($60) right now might upgrade to a 7950 because this is a decent deal

The biggest Issue I have is just the motherboard choice right now. Everything can fit in my old case until I'm ready to fully upgrade. Also thinking I should wait until Next month for a graphics card update since I heard the 8000 series is just around the corner, meaning I can probably find a 7950 for cheap! soon lol.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So I got around to checking out the 2TB HDD (Seagate Barracuda) it seems dead I think. I can't hear anything from it when it's powered.

Any thing I can do to see if it really is broken?

brentech

So I got around to checking out the 2TB HDD (Seagate Barracuda) it seems dead I think. I can't hear anything from it when it's powered.

Any thing I can do to see if it really is broken?

If you click your start menu and type 'disk management', it doesn't show up in there?

bro1

Banned
Taking my PC downstairs into my living room. I need suggestions for the following:
Wireless solution? PCI card, USB adapter, or wireless bridge?
Keyboard/Mouse wirless combo or all in one keyboard/trackpad?
Wireless xbox adapter? Do they still sell those?

DTKT

Wait what? im confused, that doesnt even make sense. Where does it get the network data from?

It uses the electrical cabling as the transport layer for the data. Basically, you have a set of two power adapters that connect with each other through the electrical wiring. The first adapter is plugged into the outlet and to a router with an internet connection. Then, you plug the second adapter into an electrical outlet anywhere in your house. Any device that you connect to that second adapter will share the same network as the one provided by your router.

Speed looks quite good, about 250-300Mpbs. Assume a 50% variation due to signal degradation and congestion.

Basically, black Magic.

It uses the electrical cabling as the transport layer for the data. Basically, you have a set of two power adapters that connect with each other through the electrical wiring. The first adapter is plugged into the outlet and to a router with an internet connection. Then, you plug the second adapter into an electrical outlet anywhere in your house. Any device that you connect to that second adapter will share the same network as the one provided by your router.

Speed looks quite good, about 250-300Mpbs. Assume a 50% variation due to signal degradation and congestion.

Basically, black Magic.

so all this time ive been suffering a weak signal from my wireless router, i could have just gotten this and been as good as a wired connection?

this-changes-everything-thumb.jpg

knitoe

Taking my PC downstairs into my living room. I need suggestions for the following:
Wireless solution? PCI card, USB adapter, or wireless bridge?
Keyboard/Mouse wirless combo or all in one keyboard/trackpad?
Wireless xbox adapter? Do they still sell those?

Wireless bridge. They usually have better antennas = better reception.

Get a media remote, like a Lenovo. Use a Xbox controller for gaming.

Don't need a Xbox wireless adapter. Also, connect the Xbox to the wireless bridge.

knitoe

so all this time ive been suffering a weak signal from my wireless router, i could have just gotten this and been as good as a wired connection?

Nope. In turns of performance and ease of use, it's wired > wireless > powerline.

Even in my brand new house, using a 300mbps powerline setup, I was getting 1/2 of speed of my N router. Just get a good long range dual band N or AC router instead.

scogoth

Nope. In turns of performance and ease of use, it's wired > wireless > powerline.

Even in my brand new house, using a 300mbps powerline setup, I was getting 1/2 of speed of my N router. Just get a good long range dual band N or AC router instead.

Concrete stops wireless, doesn't stop power line. Wireless vs power line is very situational. Sitting next to your router wireless is better, 5 walls and 40ft away swings that favour to power line.

DTKT

Concrete stops wireless, doesn't stop power line. Wireless vs power line is very situational. Sitting next to your router wireless is better, 5 walls and 40ft away swings that favour to power line.

Especially if you repeat that network. Wireless is such a pain the ass, it's been lagging behind for years now.

jns

Hi guys and gals. I currently have a 1440p monitor and a GTX 570 OC. I always game at native res and the 570 just doesn't cut it. I'm looking at an upgrade of my video card and was going to get another 570 but my current card is pretty damn loud and I don't like the idea of listening to 2 of them. I've looked at the GTX 680 and I can get one for a reasonable price, but couldn't afford 2 of them atm. I've had a bad run with ATI cards since my 9800pro (best card ever) so it would take something pretty huge for me to jump back over the fence.

I guess my question is; Is there anything that will be better than a 680GTX? Is it worth trying to get 2 660Ti's or 670's? I'd like to think I'll be able to buy another 680 in 6 months and SLI but obviously that isn't a guarantee.

I do have a duel-monitor setup, but only game on a single screen.

FYI, the card I am looking at is Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 @ pccg for $479

Thanks for any comments gaffy.

knitoe

Interference can bring powerlines to a crawl. Sure, there are situation where powerline can be better, but for a normal house, wireless is the way to go, at least in my house after trying both. I would only recommend powerlines if wireless isn't a ideal option.

i have a pretty good one. cisco e3000. but for some reason i can just never get a good signal in the other room, even though its not all that far. maybe 30 feet and 3 walls. ive thought about running a line, but im not sure im up to the task of snaking it through a wall from upstairs to downstairs

ss_lemonade

Hi guys and gals. I currently have a 1440p monitor and a GTX 570 OC. I always game at native res and the 570 just doesn't cut it. I'm looking at an upgrade of my video card and was going to get another 570 but my current card is pretty damn loud and I don't like the idea of listening to 2 of them. I've looked at the GTX 680 and I can get one for a reasonable price, but couldn't afford 2 of them atm. I've had a bad run with ATI cards since my 9800pro (best card ever) so it would take something pretty huge for me to jump back over the fence.

I guess my question is; Is there anything that will be better than a 680GTX? Is it worth trying to get 2 660Ti's or 670's? I'd like to think I'll be able to buy another 680 in 6 months and SLI but obviously that isn't a guarantee.

I do have a duel-monitor setup, but only game on a single screen.

FYI, the card I am looking at is Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 @ pccg for $479

Thanks for any comments gaffy.
A titan is better but costly. I guess you could check out an oc'ed 7970. Seems to be the choice to go with nowadays, especially if you don't care about physx

knitoe

i have a pretty good one. cisco e3000. but for some reason i can just never get a good signal in the other room, even though its not all that far. maybe 30 feet and 3 walls. ive thought about running a line, but im not sure im up to the task of snaking it through a wall from upstairs to downstairs

You could try a wireless extender to cover any dead spots in your home. Or, try powerline. Also, your router was good in 2010, but there are much better routers today. For example, I had a Linksys E4200. Amazing speed and range on 2.4GHz, but in certain rooms, I couldn't get N on my iphone 5. After it decided to died, switch to Asus AC66U, I can now get 5GHz anywhere in my house and outside.

well i mean would it make a difference like if you have a capable card ie:6870. Will getting say a titan make any diference?

Not by much between a mid-range to a high end card.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

The difference between a 660 and a 680 is 4 seconds in MPEG-2 export. (But both are twice as fast as software alone).

However, if you were using Premiere, which does not leverage OpenCL on Windows, only CUDA, an NVIDIA card is going to make a big difference for you. But even then, a Titan is not worth it (for video editing at least).

You could try a wireless extender to cover any dead spots in your home. Or, try powerline. Also, your router was good in 2010, but there are much better routers today. For example, I had a Linksys E4200. Amazing speed and range on 2.4GHz, but in certain rooms, I couldn't get N on my iphone 5. After it decided to died, switch to Asus AC66U, I can now get 5GHz anywhere in my house and outside.

That Asus says on 5GHz it uses 802.11AC. Does iphone even support that? i assume id need a special wireless adapter for my pc? im using a tp link tl wdn4800 and it doesnt seem to support it

knitoe

A titan is over $1200; more than double a 680GTX.

I could buy 2x7970 for $800 or 2xGTX680 for $950. I'm looking to spend less than $600 atm though.

At 1440p, you would want a card with 3GB or more. At your price range, 2X7970 is probably the best option. I bought a Titan and wasn't satisfy running @ 1440p so my second one is coming tomorrow.

mkenyon

Banned
Mr. Pocket's complete build:

3570K @ 4.4GHz, 1.21V
MSI Z77 MPower
Gigabyte GTX 670 @ 1180MHz
Fractal Define R4 Titanium
Crucial M4 256GB
Seagate 1TB Drive
Corsair H60
Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600, 1.35V

I could buy 2x7970 for $800 or 2xGTX680 for $950. I'm looking to spend less than $600 atm though.
Titans are $1000.
What about trying to find 2 4GB 670s?
Extra memory on 670s and 680s has been shown to probably be ineffective outside of modded games. I don't think it's worth the extra money at this point.

Your experiences with wireless are pretty much a total exception to what everyone else deals with. Top it off with needing to replace consumer grade hardware every ~2 years is just icing on the cake.

Wired>Powerline>Wireless for a vast majority of people. For those that actually understand wireless tech, know how to configure everything, and which tools to get (which puts you in the multiple hundreds of dollars at that point), then yes, it can be very good. Wireless is dark magic that only sorcerers fully understand.

knitoe is a witch.

This is what you get with two 7970s at the moment:

fr-2_0.png

*edit* edited vitriol after rereading it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Very pretty and a solid machine to boot.

*And yeah I cannot recommend a dual GPU setup unless you know what comes with that setup or don't care.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
3570K @ 4.4GHz, 1.21V
MSI Z77 MPower
Gigabyte GTX 670 @ 1180MHz
Fractal Define R4 Titanium
Crucial M4 256GB
Seagate 1TB Drive
Corsair H60
Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600, 1.35V

I am soooo excited to finally have a great system. Can't thank you enough for the advice and the build mkenyon.

Can't wait to take this baby home tomorrow :)

Looks awesome!

jns

At 1440p, you would want a card with 3GB or more. At your price range, 2X7970 is probably the best option. I bought a Titan and wasn't satisfy running @ 1440p so my second one is coming tomorrow.
Wow. Mind telling me what games/settings the titan is struggling with? Could it be a case of immature drivers?

What about trying to find 2 4GB 670s?
4GB 670's are pretty expensive over here; about the same as a 680.

Thanks for your comments guys. I figured vram was holding me back. I might look further into 7970 and see what folks have to say about drivers/iq/cf

[edit]
wow @ that graph! Thanks for the info. I never knew cf was so bad. I think I'll settle on a single 680 and look to get another down the line.

Ohh I'm in Australia, so all my prices are in aud, the cheapest titan I could find was ~$1150.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Fantastic work as always. That's a gorgeous setup.
Did you intentionally use the yellow power cables for the GPU? It matches perfectly with the other yellow bits in the rest of the build. Either way, that's some very nice color scheming.

lmpaler

So upon getting windows 8 installed I threw the driver disk in annnnd when it starts loading the Asmedia Sata drivers, reboots, and then borks windows.

Google around and I find that the intel ones are actually the next ones down and are better so I will be switching to them tomorrow and doing another fresh install.

BUT! This brings me to the USB ports. Which are Intel and which are Asmedia? The only drivers for Windows 8 on the site it for AsMedia USB 3.0.

Mobo is AsRock Z77 Extreme4.

knitoe

Your experiences with wireless are pretty much a total exception to what everyone else deals with. Top it off with needing to replace consumer grade hardware every ~2 years is just icing on the cake.

Wired>Powerline>Wireless for a vast majority of people. For those that actually understand wireless tech, know how to configure everything, and which tools to get (which puts you in the multiple hundreds of dollars at that point), then yes, it can be very good. Wireless is dark magic that only sorcerers fully understand.

knitoe is a witch.

I wouldn't say I am an exception. There are many people out there, google, whom have problems with powerline, most due to interference. I am a HC gamer so tried more things than most to find better connections.

And, I am not a witch(female). I am a Wizard.

Wow. Mind telling me what games/settings the titan is struggling with? Could it be a case of immature drivers?
If you got a Titan, you figure you could crank everything to max settings, even w/o SSAA, and get 60fps. Nope. Not in Crysis 3, Tomb Raider and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom