• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I feel such a noob asking all these questions. I've got everything up and running and now I want to raid the two 1TB HDD's I have.

I'm in disk managment and run through a few raid options and every one give me an error saying.

There is not enough space available on the disks to complete this operation.

These are both indeticable models and size and both have 930 available each.

You need to enable RAID operation in BIOS, which unfortunately I believe means your OS won't boot after the change, unless you use a separate controller for your OS versus these drives. Unless you can install drivers for the RAID controller...I'm not sure what the rules are. I enable RAID first thing I get a PC and then install the OS.

Then reboot and mash Ctrl+I to enter Intel's RAID settings and create a volume with your 2 drives.

mkenyon

Banned
Holy crap.

@Scogoth and Kennah

Check out this limited edition block:

900x900px-LL-48423e69_DSC_0075.jpeg

Apparently Dazmode carries/carried them?

No one can tell you how console ports will run until they are playable. Until then, it's all speculation.

Yep, that is the responsible answer.

Would feel bad if that build is greatly surpassed by either console. Regardless I think it is good enough for now, and I would have to wait a lot for next gen.
So if can play todays games at 1080p and I would have to work with the settings a bit and 720p for next games, I think I can handle that. I have never been top of the line PC guy.

Will decide if I wait, still have PS3, Wii U, 3DS to play. The PC is to replace my PS3.

Chris R

I'd love to see how small a single slot 7790 and some m-itx board could get (SSD only, no optical drive). I know someone here has the money and is crazy enough to do such a build :p

knitoe

You need to enable RAID operation in BIOS, which unfortunately I believe means your OS won't boot after the change, unless you use a separate controller for your OS versus these drives. Unless you can install drivers for the RAID controller...I'm not sure what the rules are. I enable RAID first thing I get a PC and then install the OS.

Then reboot and mash Ctrl+I to enter Intel's RAID settings and create a volume with your 2 drives.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-...o-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/

kennah

Holy crap.

@Scogoth and Kennah

http://www.dazmode.com/store/product/dazmode_special_edition_cpu_block/

18 left in stock. At $60 it's only $9 more than the EK Nickel block I was considering... hmm...

I'd love to see how small a single slot 7790 and some m-itx board could get (SSD only, no optical drive). I know someone here has the money and is crazy enough to do such a build :p

Compact Splash ... Mine is arriving sometime in May.

gokieks

The one area in PC hardware which has never been my forte is fans, so I'm in need of some advice.

I just finished my long-planned mITX Hackintosh build with a SilverStone FT-03 Mini (an absolutely gorgeous case), ST45SF-G PSU, and Corsair H60 (2013 version). Everything is working, but I'm finding that it's much louder than I'd like, with the primary culprit being the AP141 fan that the case comes with. Maybe the PSU and pump are audible as well, but I can't tell over the case fan. So, it's got to go. But the problem is I'm not sure what to replace it with. As this is a fairly low-powered system (i3 3225, no discrete GPU), I'm much more interested in silence than performance. But I also have a 3.5" HDD in the system, whose mounting system is probably the weakest part of the case, and it gets in the way of both cable management and airflow (and prevents the use of another fan on the radiator for push-pull), so maybe I do need something that also offers more airflow/pressure?

Any advice from people who have experience with multiple fans, especially in similar setups, would be appreciated.

mkenyon

Banned
The H60 is mounted on the bottom, right?

From the SFF guide in the OP:

While gorgeous, the FT03 probably has the most stringent requirements in terms of parts selected. For starters, if you want to overclock then a closed loop 120mm water cooler like the Corsair H40/60 is mandatory. There just isn’t enough room anywhere else in the case for a decent aftermarket cooler, and Silverstone actually designed the case with these units in mind.

The second is that since the parts are oriented 90 degrees, you have to be very careful when selecting a videocard. Cards with heatpipe designs do not perform as intended, so you will want to go with a reference video card. There are some non-reference coolers that will perform adequately, but you need to check specifically with the card in mind before purchasing. With all of that hot air dumping into the system, I’d still advise against it. Considering that AMD reference cards are still fairly loud towards the high end, if you want a computer that performs quietly, you will want to go with a 660Ti, 670, 680, 7850, or 7870.

The third consideration is that since airflow is fairly poor, you will want to replace the bottom fan with a pair of high pressure/CFM fans. Swiftech Helix, Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15, Noctua NF-F12, Noiseblocker Eloop 1300/1900 RPM are what you want to be looking at.

gokieks

The H60 is mounted on the bottom, right?

From the SFF guide in the OP:

Yeah, the H60 is mounted at the bottom... is it even possible to mount it anywhere else? And I do wish the tubing was more flexible on the thing.

And I read your guide way back, but totally forgot there were fan recommendations in there, so thanks for that. Are there any particular pros/cons to each of those? And doing some searching, it seems there's some questions as to whether it might be better to use a 120mm fan instead of a 140mm, as there are better options in that size?

mkenyon

Banned
The radiator is 120mm, so you want to use 120mm fans.

But yeah, the best 120mm fans will handily outperform 140mm fans at similar dB levels. So 120 is the way to go. If there's enough room, you will want the H60 in push/pull with the same fan.

For your money, Corsair SP 120 Quiet would be the best buy. Arctic Cooling F12 or Switftech Helix at $10 a piece on the low end. Scythe GT AP-15 would be the best performer at $15 a piece.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
When does 802.11ac wifi routers come out? I want to go wireless, but I want to be fast...faster than wired 1Gb lol.

Also, anyone use any BDROM recoding software? There's no hardware limitation blocking an app that could simultaneously rip and re-encode 3-4 BDROMs and use GPU compute to do the computation. Frustrating that this is purely a software problem.

DJ_Lae

Lots of stock in North and South now.

*Edmonton High Five*

Actually, part of me was a little happy as it gave me an excuse not to grab one. I don't even really need a monitor or anything, but this one is tempting.

I'm also running two different size monitors at the moment, and a 24" main monitor would even things out (currently have a 21.5" and a 24").

mrklaw

MrArseFace
requesting assistance again on fan placement in the bitfenix prodigy. Have one 230mm spectre pro in the front as intake, and a H60 in the rear as exhaust + radiator. And then the 7950 when active will pull air in from the side too.

Should I add another fan for exhaust (eg top rear)? Temps are ok but I'd like to check if there are basic things I could do to improve it.

edit: Also I'm showing temperatures at TMPIN0 (hardware monitor on CPUID) of 46 at idle going up to 55. Easy Tuner 6 (gigabyte software) shows that as the 'system' temperature, but I don't know which part that is sensing. CPU shows as around 22 at idle but that seems to be TMPIN1 on CPUID - actual CPU temps are more like 34c

mkenyon

Banned
requesting assistance again on fan placement in the bitfenix prodigy. Have one 230mm spectre pro in the front as intake, and a H60 in the rear as exhaust + radiator. And then the 7950 when active will pull air in from the side too.

Should I add another fan for exhaust (eg top rear)? Temps are ok but I'd like to check if there are basic things I could do to improve it.
That'll be fine. That 230 Spectre Pro blasts air like crazy, though it is a bit loud. You could run an in-line voltage regulator to slow it down a bit, and then maybe plop another exhaust on the top.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Just to follow up on the system mkenyon built for me.

Running like a dream!!

Fastest system I have used in a long time. SSD's rock!

Everything is so clean and tidy in the case, my old system looks like a bomb went off in it lol.

Happy is me!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That'll be fine. That 230 Spectre Pro blasts air like crazy, though it is a bit loud. You could run an in-line voltage regulator to slow it down a bit, and then maybe plop another exhaust on the top.

thanks. It is a bit loud. I'll use the noise reducer supplied to drop it to 7v. Will adding an exhaust still give me positive pressure?

scogoth

Holy crap.

@Scogoth and Kennah

Nice! But I shall resist. Last time I jumped on a special edition water block it was 14months before I used it

Working on sleeving, Kennah if you do go this route buy the actual molex branded crimper so much easier having the right tools even if its more expensive.

After a week of running my Fractal Node, I think it's safe enough to overclock it a tiny bit.
It isn't as cool as I would like it to be (Idle CPU: 34, Idle GPU: 33; Load CPU: 49-63, Load GPU: 49-60) but I guess that's a consequence of the cable nest from a non-modular PSU and a CPU cooler that isn't oriented ideally.

On the plus side, it's stable and and really quiet (as I only managed to fit in 1 of the Noctua CPU cooling fans).

Strongly reccomend the case to others, but would advise going with H60/80/100 for the CPU and researching what PSU/GPU combo works best (some modular PSU's can block a long enough GPU). In my case, XFX 550 Pro something and a HD 7950 fit together just fine.

mkenyon

Banned

Running like a dream!!

Everything is so clean and tidy in the case, my old system looks like a bomb went off in it lol.

Happy is me!
Awesome! Glad you like it.

I bet going to a high clocked i5 and SSD is a pretty amazing experience.

Dave_6

Running like a dream!!

Happy is me!

I'm jealous! That is one CLEAN looking system he built for you!

brentech

Any of you use Rainmeter desktop customization app?
I figure it won't be totally accurate but a good theme with cpu usage/temp and other such info would be cool.
On my old system I used a theme that looked like the windows 8 metro, but still acted like win7 which was cool.
If anyone uses it and has a theme they recommend, post away.

kennah

Look at all the WC stuff makes me want to WC, but I have a feeling that it gets really expensive REALLY quickly...

Full retail for what I'm using for the Compact Splash would be over $600. (and it is a a fairly basic build, two rads, gpu+cpu, pump, res). So awesome though, and deals can be found if you aren't in a rush.

Fair enough. Better get my parka on for Winnipeg then.

So 2 hours later, one
side of one
cable. Not psychosleeve quality but getting better with every sleeve and heat shrink.

Frig that is awesome. I'd probably be making one of my
single and no kids
friends do it. He loves this stuff, works on model planes for a hobby.

mkenyon

Banned
Look at all the WC stuff makes me want to WC, but I have a feeling that it gets really expensive REALLY quickly...
If you want to do a basic CPU + GPU loop, you're looking at ~$400-500.

You could easily spend $2000 on the very same loop.

The benefit is that outside of GPU blocks, everything stays useful through multiple builds.

*edit*

There are some kits that while they contain parts that might not be optimal, are generally really good and contain everything you need to get started.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ool_Answer_240_DDCXT_-_Kit.html?tl=g30c83s137

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...luded_and_Free_Dead-Water_.html?tl=g30c83s137

My brother and I built his PC in January. He normally puts it in sleep mode and sometimes when he walks near it or is just around it, it comes out of sleep mode. No buttons on the mouse, keyboard, or case are being touched either. It's weird, I've never even heard of that happening before. Could anything with the hardware cause that? It won't happen if we are not near the PC, so it seems like vibrations are causing it or something.

Any ideas? We've tried messing with some settings on Windows 8 but it still happens.

DJ_Lae

My brother and I built his PC in January. He normally puts it in sleep mode and sometimes when he walks near it or is just around it, it comes out of sleep mode. No buttons on the mouse, keyboard, or case are being touched either. It's weird, I've never even heard of that happening before. Could anything with the hardware cause that? It won't happen if we are not near the PC, so it seems like vibrations are causing it or something.

Any ideas? We've tried messing with some settings on Windows 8 but it still happens.

I think it's under power saving that you can disable devices that wake the computer (or device manager and then each device's power management). Still, I've disabled everything (including LAN) and it still wakes on its own once in a while, which is annoying.

Otherwise so much as moving the mouse a millimeter will wake it.

xJavonta

Banned
Full retail for what I'm using for the Compact Splash would be over $600. (and it is a a fairly basic build, two rads, gpu+cpu, pump, res). So awesome though, and deals can be found if you aren't in a rush.
I would want to go mITX too, which means I'd need to jump on the Compact Splash now if I wanted one...

I'm in no rush though, waiting on Haswell for a much needed upgrade from this i3 2100.
If you want to do a basic CPU + GPU loop, you're looking at ~$400-500.

You could easily spend $2000 on the very same loop.

The benefit is that outside of GPU blocks, everything stays useful through multiple builds.

*edit*

There are some kits that while they contain parts that might not be optimal, are generally really good and contain everything you need to get started.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ool_Answer_240_DDCXT_-_Kit.html?tl=g30c83s137

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...luded_and_Free_Dead-Water_.html?tl=g30c83s137
Thanks for the links! I'll check them out. Still not sure if I want to take the plunge, but at least I have something to go off of now

MisterNoisy

Mine wakes up whenever I take off my jacket and drape it on the chair at the desk - I think it's got something to do with static, since that's the only time it happens unintentionally, but it happens every damned time.

mkenyon

Banned
Mine wakes up when I hit the power button. SSD's kind of eliminated the appeal of sleep/hibernate. Especially with all of that writing to disk, and the loss of space on the SSD, just so not worth it.

Zaph

Whatever happened to phase-change cooling? 5 years ago it seemed to be all the rage with high-end overclockers, but then kinda died out.

mkenyon

Banned
It's still around, but it's simply too loud for what people like to do, as well as not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as watercooling.

It seems like if you are in it for temps and insane benches, you go LN2. If you want it for everyday use and be aesthetically pleasing, you go water. Phase Change is stuck somewhere in the middle, which really makes it a niche product.

Little Devil Cooling still supports it pretty well though: http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/14-phase-change

Zaph

Wow, some of their stuff looks really cool, but I just realised it's CPU only - making it an even worse proposition compared to watercooling.

Used to see some really crazy stuff with it over on Bit-tech, before the site went to shit.

It's still around, but it's simply too loud for what people like to do, as well as not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as watercooling.

It seems like if you are in it for temps and insane benches, you go LN2. If you want it for everyday use and be aesthetically pleasing, you go water. Phase Change is stuck somewhere in the middle, which really makes it a niche product.

Little Devil Cooling still supports it pretty well though: http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/14-phase-change

Wait this is still a thing?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Sorted the HDD raids. Not sure what the hell was going on with them. Software side I'm now complete.

All I'm waitng on now is some extra led fans. Are there any good places for cable sleeves in the UK? It looks too black inside so I'd like to add some red, white or maybe light grey.

My aim is too have red lighting projecting inside onto the mobo and gpu while from the outside have white. I might also cut the front panel and place some wired mesh with leds behind.

Edit: Yum

mkenyon

Banned
Sorted the HDD raids. Not sure what the hell was going on with them. Software side I'm now complete.

All I'm waitng on now is some extra led fans. Are there any good places for cable sleeves in the UK? It looks too black inside so I'd like to add some red, white or maybe light grey.

My aim is too have red lighting projecting inside onto the mobo and gpu while from the outside have white. I might also cut the front panel and place some wired mesh with leds behind.

Edit: Yum
MDPC-X is where you will want to go if you are looking to sleeve your own PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom