• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Sorry, I meant when I get an SSD drive it won't be used for Windows, just games.

At the moment I can't justify it (I know it's ironic considering how much I'm spending).

The problem is that it is better to use the SSD for Windows and then use something like Steam Mover to only put the games you are currently playing on the SSD. It is that big of a difference.

How about drop the 680 Classified to a standard 680? That right there gives you the extra money you need. Getting a case like the R4 and then going for a comparatively loud EVGA card seems inconsistent anyway.

I asked this question earlier:

I can't decide between a 4GB EVGA GTX 680 or a 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX.

If I get the SSD drive I'll be getting the 2GB version of the above card, the system drive is a 2TB Seagate Barracuda. The SSD will be used for games, nothing else.

Getting an SSD will also mean no Corsair Dominator Platinum.

kharma45

If I get the SSD drive I'll be getting the 2GB version of the above card, the system drive is a 2TB Seagate Barracuda. The SSD will be used for games, nothing else.

An SSD is wasted with games tbh, get the 4GB 680.

mkenyon

Banned

Any reason why you are avoiding installing the OS on the SSD?

The SSD to get anyway is the 840 Pro. Or Crucial M4 if you can find one on sale.

Get a 680 other than EVGA. The EVGA ones run about twice as loud as comparative ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI cards.

Any reason why you are avoiding installing the OS on the SSD?

The SSD to get anyway is the 840 Pro. Or Crucial M4 if you can find one on sale.

Get a 680 other than EVGA. The EVGA ones run about twice as loud as comparative ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI cards.

I'm limited with the GPU choices as I'm buying pre-built due to my disability.

I dunno why I'm resisting putting the OS on the SSD, I think it's plenty fast enough maybe?

mkenyon

Banned
Gotcha gotcha.

I'm sorry if I had missed that!

Where are you getting it prebuilt from? Might be able to help you min/max some stuff.

kharma45

I'm limited with the GPU choices as I'm buying pre-built due to my disability.

I dunno why I'm resisting putting the OS on the SSD, I think it's plenty fast enough maybe?

It's not, the difference between an SSD and an HDD is beyond the difference between night and day.

You need Windows on an SSD, trust us ;)

scogoth

Oh, I didn't realise. Sorry, I must look like a right berk.
Yeah that looks like the one, we've had it for about 3 years now, its been a good investment I think, does us well.
I guess going down to 1080p would make things a bit bigger from a distance too?

Yeah it will be bigger and clearer

iavi

He could try a Dual Shock 3, works nice due to better sticks imo (all our 360 controllers suffer from buggy deadzones) but they seem to suffer a defect after time where pressing the left stick and moving it at the same time causes other buttons to be triggered

Motionoinjoy is one of the single worst apps I've used in the longest time. I'd advise it to no one. Some games just need the DS3, though, so I use it then.

HoosTrax

The left analogue stick on my wireless 360 controller has gone a bit wonky, is there a better controller than the 360 controller these days?

In other news, I'm selling my HIS IceQ Boost 7950 on eBay UK if anyone is after a new graphics card.
I prefer a 360, but with Dualshock stick replacement. The mushroom caps tend to not have the "push on the sides of stick to move it" problem that the slippery concave stock 360 stick has.

img20130310230958.jpg

It's kind of interesting that the stick tops between the two are fully interchangeable, I didn't look closely to see if the stick hardware itself is identical between the two.

Everything came in by saturday and I was able to get it up and running by sunday night!
I could think of nothing other than my build for those two days. Still need to start on cable management but other than that everything looks good.
Anyway my cpu is the i5 3570k with the evo 212 cooler.

I think its running a little warm, most likely because the center screw on the x brace is not screwed down or maybe the thermal paste wasnt ideally applied.

Here are the temps at 100% and idle.

temps were on avergae 4-5 higher, closer to the max numbers listed.

The idle temps are what concern me as they seem like temps you would get with the stock cooler, is that correct?

Are the temps off enough to justify re-applying thermal paste and the cpu cooler?
I do plan on over-clocking eventually but nothing crazy.

Btw I live in florida and its hot as balls.

Cheers.

Katyusha

Alright, so I'm having a bit of trouble here. My buddy came over and helped me move my build into my new case (an R4) and the damn thing won't turn on. The motherboard is getting power, since the light is on. I suspect it has something to do with the front panel connectors, but I'm not sure.

Alright, so I'm having a bit of trouble here. My buddy came over and helped me move my build into my new case (an R4) and the damn thing won't turn on. The motherboard is getting power, since the light is on. I suspect it has something to do with the front panel connectors, but I'm not sure.

Did you connect both power cords to the motherboard? (24pin and 8pin)

scogoth

Well double check that the power button cable is plugged into the right pins. Your motherboard manual will show you where they should be plugged in

Katyusha

I looked at the manual, and I have no idea what I'm looking at. All I know is in my old case the connectors were vertical, and now they're plugged in horizontally.

mkenyon

Banned
I looked at the manual, and I have no idea what I'm looking at. All I know is in my old case the connectors were vertical, and now they're plugged in horizontally.
Look at the diagram of where the headers go. Your headers will be labeled. Plug the appropriate header on the appropriate pin.

scogoth

What motherboard do you have? I'll look up the appropriate documentation to get you going

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Look fine, especially as you said it is hot where you are - what would you estimate your ambient temperature to be?

And if its idling and you have the fan speed based off the CPU temperature, it won't be cooling much anyway because it doesn't need to

Look fine, especially as you said it is hot where you are - what would you estimate your ambient temperature to be?

And if its idling and you have the fan speed based off the CPU temperature, it won't be cooling much anyway because it doesn't need to

Thaks mrklaw,
Its been really hot lately, 86-88 f in my room as I dont run AC. So if those temps are ok Im ecstatic.

Heres a few pics from my build.

Def going modular next time

ssd is velcroed to 3.5 bay

It runs crysis, maxed

Thanks for the replies mkenyon and knitoe.Its such a relief to have everything working.

knitoe

Thaks mrklaw,
Its been really hot lately, 86-88 f in my room as I dont run AC. So if those temps are ok Im ecstatic.

Heres a few pics from my build.

Def going modular next time

ssd is velcroed to 3.5 bay

It runs crysis, maxed

Thanks for the replies mkenyon and knitoe.Its such a relief to have everything working.

It's better to turn the heatsink so it pushes air from front to back. Is you ram fins making that not possible?

I hear you guys are the best.

I own both consoles, but increasingly over the years their age has disappointed me. I've always primarily been a PC gamer - for the PC-centric games - but more and more these days I've been hooking up a 360 controller to my PC for games like Tomb Raider, Hitman, Demon Souls, etc... So I might as well build a Steam box and get the comfy couch along with the superior graphics.

I've built plenty of gaming PC's, but never anything other than ATX. Ultimately I'd like to get a form-factor that would enable me to house it in my entertainment center. The one problem I see there is cooling, as my entertainment center has glass doors. When I game with my PS3 I have to leave the door open, otherwise the fans go into 'jet noise' mode. Is micro-ATX the way to go? I looked a bit at mini-ATX, but that seems really small and perhaps not for gaming.

I like the look of those Alienware X51's, but really don't want to pay Alienware prices. Especially when I'm perfectly capable of building my own. But their form-factor is perfect.

Whatever form factor and case I do go with, it does have to be for gaming, so I'm looking for it to accommodate an Nvidia 600 series or the like.

If I can't find a proper case for the entertainment center, I suppose I could put a small tower on the floor. I'd rather not clutter up the floor anymore than I have to, but there are some nice looking cases out there. This Arc Mini is pretty sleek.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811352008

Second, is there a way to get wireless 360 controllers (or something of the like) to work with PC?

Third, I have 5.1 for my television, but looking at sound cards on Newegg there doesn't seem to be any good ones for this purpose. Anybody here get proper 5.1 to work out of their PC, and what are you using?

And fourth, and maybe most important, how well does Big Picture work? I've never used it, and I know it just came out, but are there a lot of issues to be resolved yet?

General advice appreciated.

I'm still really confused about audio though - and how to get decent 5.1 out of my home theater (for gaming). Something about the sound card needs Dolby Digital Live, and I'd also need one with optical out for my receiver. And if I go the ITX route, there doesn't even seem to be any open PCI slots for a sound card. Are there any motherboards with onboard that will do it?

Katyusha

It seems that the front panel connectors were plugged in right after all.

The problem was the PSU, it was DOA. Thanks, Corsair.

MisterNoisy

I'm still really confused about audio though - and how to get decent 5.1 out of my home theater (for gaming). Something about the sound card needs Dolby Digital Live, and I'd also need one with optical out for my receiver. And if I go the ITX route, there doesn't even seem to be any open PCI slots for a sound card. Are there any motherboards with onboard that will do it?

The ASRock Z77E-ITX has an optical out if you need that - I've just been using HDMI to my receiver from the video card, tho. Great little board, too. There's a ton of mATX boards with optical as well if you want something a bit bigger.

So the BitFenix Prodigy case. Should I go White or Black? So hard to decide since both are so nice looking.

Well in that case just stick to what the mobo gives you.

You can get the sound card at a later date if you really want to go there.

It is actually really cool knowing that if I end up wanting to change something it can easily be done at a later date.

MisterNoisy

Not liking the red look. Initially I was going to get Orange, but after seeing some pics I realized I'd get tired of it real soon.

White is so sleek and clean looking so I might get that.

I love my orange box, but I admit that it's not for everyone. :p

The black one has a mesh front panel, which should offer better airflow than the solid front panel of the other colors, if that matters to you.

It's better to turn the heatsink so it pushes air from front to back. Is you ram fins making that not possible?

It would make the fit easier actually its barely clearing the fin in the a2 slot as its oriented now. My setup now is intake front and side, exhaust top and back.

I just finished cableing everything down and away and closed her up! Couldnt be happier.

It seems that the front panel connectors were plugged in right after all.

The problem was the PSU, it was DOA. Thanks, Corsair.

Im sorry to hear that at least you isolated the problem. How long will it take to get replaced?

It's not, the difference between an SSD and an HDD is beyond the difference between night and day.

You need Windows on an SSD, trust us ;)

This. Using my SSD for the first time was a revelation.

mkenyon

Banned

Check out the SFF build guide in the OP.

You can use HDMI out from your videocard for sound and video, just like a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom