• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katyusha

Im sorry to hear that at least you isolated the problem. How long will it take to get replaced?

I'm probably gonna take it back to Micro Center and try to get my money back, so whenever I feel like doing that. Fortunately, my old PSU still works, as crappy as it is.

Oh well, at least I got my R4 (love it, btw.)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's because there's a number of things that increase in cost rapidly to get something similar to the enthusiast build in the OP.

ITX boards have crappy sound, so you add on $100 DAC that would otherwise be included in a $200 mATX/ATX mobo. ITX cases need better fans to cool parts that draw more power, so you add $30 there. It all adds up quickly to be about $300 more than the comparative mATX/ATX build.

And yeah, it needs to be updated :(

For RAM, just get the same stuff listed in the OP. Low profile.

Here you go

Just make sure you have positive pressure, as then the only way air goes in to the case will be through these filters.
Thanks for that link. I have front and bottom filters but I need one for the top where the 2 fans intake air into the rad.

And you're saying that if I use filters to make all fans intakes? I know it seems like less air will be passing through so I would almost want to keep it all in if possible no? Not the biggest expert on air flow tips and tricks so advice is welcome

I also have the side pane on my 500R which has a 240mm fan with no filter at all there. Would love a filter for that as well but don't want to spend 60 on a whole set when I need 2.

Damn, thinking and thinking. I'm tempted to get that set ><

Good man for linking me to the filters for the exact case I have. Either you have a good memory of got lucky :p

mkenyon

Banned
My head is a steel trap. Unless it's something actually important like getting dog food on the way home. Poor poor Daphne.

Those Demciflex filters are the best in the business, and don't restrict airflow too much.

When I say be sure to have positive pressure, I mean:

If you have positive pressure, the only air that is coming into the case is via fan, as the fans are pushing more air in the case than there are fans exhausting. Since there aren't nooks and crannies in which air is being sucked in, if you place filters on the intake fans, then every bit of air that comes into the case is being filtered. There's no sense in filtering exhaust fans, as that air has both already been filtered and is on its way OUT of your case.

new mouse recommendations. I think im done with mmos but I still like having many buttons. Thinking about a g700 (also have like $50 of credit on amazon). Thoughts?

My head is a steel trap. Unless it's something actually important like getting dog food on the way home. Poor poor Daphne.

Those Demciflex filters are the best in the business, and don't restrict airflow too much.

If you have positive pressure, the only air that is coming into the case is via fan, as the fans are pushing more air in the case than there are fans exhausting. Since there aren't nooks and crannies in which air is being sucked in, if you place filters on the intake fans, then every bit of air that comes into the case is being filtered. There's no sense in filtering exhaust fans, as that air has both already been filtered and is on its way OUT of your case.

How important are filters? Can't I just clean the fans with isopropyl every now and then?

new mouse recommendations. I think im done with mmos but I still like having many buttons. Thinking about a g700 (also have like $50 of credit on amazon). Thoughts?

I have that the G700. I like it a lot, but the battery life SUCKS. Like, it being wireless is almost a joke because you only get a few hours of use (3-5 maybe?) before it starts blinking for more battery. If you don't mind having to charge it frequently it is pretty nice.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Alright, gonna pull the trigger on them soon I think. Gotta have the best environment for these parts after all!

How important are filters? Can't I just clean the fans with isopropyl every now and then?1

Very important. I have 2 filters that came with the 500R but have been looking for a solution and the one linked earlier hit the spot.

I'm gonna get this upgrade soon and live in peace once and for all!

scogoth

Slowly getting sleeving done. This is how Scythe should have shipped the GTs and purdier USB

T2YiffE.jpg

2F5FDtl.jpg

Varna

How long does it actually take to assemble the PC and get everything up and running for the first time?

First time doing it? If you aren't installing anything like a crazy aftermarket cooler it really shouldn't take too long. 1 or 2 hours.

My first time took me 3 or so. Couldn't get it to start and I took it apart, starter over... turns out all I needed to do was reseat the ram. :/

LegendX48

building a computer kind of is like building legos...except with a screwdriver, takes just as long :p

installing an OS doesn't take that long, maybe like 15 minutes tops? maybe not even that but it may differ from person to person

scogoth

Haha that's how you end up spending more money on cables then some people do on a computer. But it does looks great, just wish I was batter at the ATX connectors to get them like MDPC. Practice practice practice I guess

Croc

Banned
Okay y'all got my first full-time job recently and I've been saving up for a PC. I'll have enough next paycheck so I'm trying to figure stuff out a bit ahead of time.

I've never had my own PC before and never built one either. I've also been using a laptop for the past 3-4 years so I'll really be going into this with 0 knowledge.

I'm just looking for some advice on a good starting point I guess.

Primary uses for it are going to be gaming and just general use. I'd like it to be able to run games pretty well but not like crazy good or anything. I'll also watch a lot of movies and TV shows on it. Also, I'm hoping to build it within the next month with a budget of around $900-$1300 probably. Granted I have no idea how much it'd cost for what I'd want but asking some friends that sounds like it'd be a good range.

Anything else you guys need to know?

brentech

Okay y'all got my first full-time job recently and I've been saving up for a PC. I'll have enough next paycheck so I'm trying to figure stuff out a bit ahead of time.

I've never had my own PC before and never built one either. I've also been using a laptop for the past 3-4 years so I'll really be going into this with 0 knowledge.

Primary uses for it are going to be gaming and just general use. I'd like it to be able to run games pretty well but not like crazy good or anything. I'll also watch a lot of movies and TV shows on it. Also, I'm hoping to build it within the next month with a budget of around $900-$1300 probably. Granted I have no idea how much it'd cost for what I'd want but asking some friends that sounds like it'd be a good range.

Are you including the cost of Windows, keyboard, mouse, monitor, and possibly speakers in that?
Not so much a need to know for the people here, but as a 'be aware of extra additives' so you know better what your budget is for the actual rig.

For the aspect of building it, I recommend the OP video how to guides.
This one is long, but they kind of talk about a lot of things you need to be aware of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_6asYE2yk
They don't show you the finer details of how to connect everything, but they verbalize everything pretty well.

Step 1: Do your research, then ask questions about anything you're confused or unsure about.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Four hours to build and test my first, but I chalk that up to being meticulous.

Actually longer for my third computer because of the smaller form factor and time spent on cabling and the need to harvest parts from my old computer.

mkenyon

Banned

Read the OP, fill out the questionnaire sheet thingie.

MisterNoisy

Once again, my loss is your gain, new PC-GAF. I've got 2 black Bitfenix Spectre 120mm fans (the ones that came with my Prodigy) on offer to the first person in the ConUS to claim them with a reply in the thread. Additionally, I've got 2 Xigmatek XAF-F1251 fans, also up for grabs - these are some serious air movers, but somewhat louder than the Spectres. All of these fans have less than ten hours on them.

Again, Continental US only, and pick either the Xiggys or the Bitfenix fans in your reply. :)

Edit: All fans are claimed.

Mandoric

Banned
Once again, my loss is your gain, new PC-GAF. I've got 2 black Bitfenix Spectre 120mm fans (the ones that came with my Prodigy) on offer to the first person in the ConUS to claim them with a reply in the thread. Additionally, I've got 2 Xigmatek XAF-F1251 fans, also up for grabs - these are some serious air movers, but somewhat louder than the Spectres. All of these fans have less than ten hours on them.

Again, Continental US only, and pick either the Xiggys or the Bitfenix fans in your reply. :)

I'd be interested in the Xiggys.

Orca

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MhsT

Thoughts? Any holes I should fill on it?

This would be my home machine. It'll see some video capture and editing but not a ton - ditto for photoshop and indesign work, so mostly just gaming.

I'd appreciate other considerations for the case. I don't care for side windows all that much, but like the general lines of this one and having the USB ports on the top is convenient. Other cases like this I should think about?

woober

This would be my home machine. It'll see some video capture and editing but not a ton - ditto for photoshop and indesign work, so mostly just gaming.

I'd appreciate other considerations for the case. I don't care for side windows all that much, but like the general lines of this one and having the USB ports on the top is convenient. Other cases like this I should think about?

That's some expensive ass ram. Personally, I'd go cheaper on the ram and up the processor to an i7 if you don't want to save the money.

red731

Ok. I am total believer.
I first met SSD disk in my new computer and wow - that boot time.

We were just talking about it with colleagues.
At first and long ago, you went for a cig. Then you went on a toilet and now? Now you can drink or wipe your nose and you are ready.

Also i73770k+7970! I imagined that games would run smooth, but wasn't expecting THAT smooth :D (coming from notebook with 30 and sub frames).

ed: downloading Steam games at home and remotely contolling it over mobile from job hhhnnnnggghhhhh

Poker360

Just uninstalled my Hyper cooler master 212 evo and put in a Corsair H100i.

The difference is... insane.

With the 212 evo, I had my overclock set at 4.3 ghz (on a amd 8350) with prime95 temps 65 after 30 minutes.

Have the corsair h100i and overclocked at 4.8ghz, have yet to exceed 60

How long does it actually take to assemble the PC and get everything up and running for the first time?

You got a pretty roomy mini case, so it shouldn't take you more than 2-4 hours to put everything together.
Installing Windows on an SSD is super quick, got mine installed in less than half an hour (might have been just over 10 minutes).

Madridy

What a fucking awful timing for hardware problems...

I was running the Bioshock Infinite benchmark when I got a BSOD relating to 'Memory Management', when the PC restarted I used the windows memory diagnostic tool and it confirmed that it was indeed a RAM hardware fault...

PC was working fine for several months but it had to break on BI's release date! fuck!

any Ideas or suggestions on how to thoroughly test my RAM sticks in-case it was a simple problem w/o the need to replace my memory?

RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866 (clocked @ 1600).

here is the BSOD error:
The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a (0x0000000000041790, 0xfffffa8000c2e6b0, 0x000000000000ffff, 0x0000000000000000).

AndyBNV

Nvidia
What a fucking awful timing for hardware problems...

I was running the Bioshock Infinite benchmark when I got a BSOD relating to 'Memory Management', when the PC restarted I used the windows memory diagnostic tool and it confirmed that it was indeed a RAM hardware fault...

PC was working fine for several months but it had to break on BI's release date! fuck!

any Ideas or suggestions on how to thoroughly test my RAM sticks in-case it was a simple problem w/o the need to replace my memory?

RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866 (clocked @ 1600).

here is the BSOD error:
The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a (0x0000000000041790, 0xfffffa8000c2e6b0, 0x000000000000ffff, 0x0000000000000000).

:(

http://www.memtest.org/ is a good testing tool.

When can we expect Haswell powered (Vaio) Ultrabooks? I need to replace my 5 year old Vaio with something modern. Is this the right thread to ask it?

Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Intel Core i7 520 clocked @ 3.5 GHz
6 GB RAM

What is my bottleneck for modern PC gaming. What do I need to buy to get 60 FPS in Heart of the Swarm and Bioshock Infinite? Will I need a new CPU and GPU, or will just one or the other suffice?

schuey7

I assembled a pc for the first time 2 nights back .It took me around 4 hours .Most of it because I had some confusion about the hyper212 evo cooler installation and the Corsair 300r motherboard standoffs. Also trying to screw in the nuts were a real headache for me in confined spaces.But the computer is running great and I would say go for it.

schuey7

Ok. I am total believer.
I first met SSD disk in my new computer and wow - that boot time.

We were just talking about it with colleagues.
At first and long ago, you went for a cig. Then you went on a toilet and now? Now you can drink or wipe your nose and you are ready.

Also i73770k+7970! I imagined that games would run smooth, but wasn't expecting THAT smooth :D (coming from notebook with 30 and sub frames).

ed: downloading Steam games at home and remotely contolling it over mobile from job hhhnnnnggghhhhh

Totally this.The ssd makes an insane difference .I have a 3770k and 7950 and have only installed sleeping dogs yet the smoothness is mind blowing coming from my core2duo and geforce 8800gts and the best part is that I haven't even touched overclocking yet.

I assembled a pc for the first time 2 nights back .It took me around 4 hours .Most of it because I had some confusion about the hyper212 evo cooler installation and the Corsair 300r motherboard standoffs. Also trying to screw in the nuts were a real headache for me in confined spaces.But the computer is running great and I would say go for it.

Yeah, make sure you got every step already planned out.
I completely missed that I needed to mount the CPU Cooler supplied bridge thigny underneath the motherboard - so I had backtrack a couple of steps.

red731

Totally this.The ssd makes an insane difference .I have a 3770k and 7950 and have only installed sleeping dogs yet the smoothness is mind blowing coming from my core2duo and geforce 8800gts and the best part is that I haven't even touched overclocking yet.

Yeah haha. I will play on stock some time, but I can't wait to see what happens when I overclock the cpu.
Bioshock Infite is soon to be downloaded and I am so looking forward to play it!
Dat butterness.

Also try Crysis2 if you have it, Schuey. I installed maldohd4.0 and I am amazed what I am seeing at 1080p. I am blown away. Crysis 3 is also finishing.
I'll be honest, the AMD Never Settle BI+C3 was so awesome to let pass.

kharma45

word. i've been out of the loop for a while now, is the GTX 670 the hot new jam or what?

It's a very good card and you'll not go far wrong with it. AMD's 7950 and 7970 are also well worth looking at too. If you use certain programs on your PC that say require CUDA or OpenCL that could be a decisive factor.

Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Intel Core i7 520 clocked @ 3.5 GHz
6 GB RAM

What is my bottleneck for modern PC gaming. What do I need to buy to get 60 FPS in Heart of the Swarm and Bioshock Infinite? Will I need a new CPU and GPU, or will just one or the other suffice?

Your GPU is the bottleneck presume your CPU is the i7 920 and that's just a typo. You could probably squeeze a bit more of an overclock out of it too.

Just uninstalled my Hyper cooler master 212 evo and put in a Corsair H100i.

The difference is... insane.

With the 212 evo, I had my overclock set at 4.3 ghz (on a amd 8350) with prime95 temps 65 after 30 minutes.

Have the corsair h100i and overclocked at 4.8ghz, have yet to exceed 60

Damn that's awesome!

As has been said, change that RAM. This is cheaper and lower profile http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...7828&vpn=KHX16LC10K2/16X&manufacture=Kingston

You can also get a 4GB 680 for that sort of money http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125448 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500288 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162105

Also change your PSU to one of these, given you a few options as two of them require rebates

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&Tpk=seasonic x750&IsVirtualParent=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207029

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207028

The 750w XFX is the better buy if you're comfortable with rebates as it has more than enough power for your system and it can pull 950w.

Also, are you sure you need a Blu-ray drive? Are you really going to watch films on your PC? Case wise you could look at the Fractal R4 which is a very good one and cheaper than what you selected http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom