• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I found a pretty good article.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Vertical-vs-Horizontal-Case-Cooling-89/

They're measuring overall case cooling performance in regard to horizontal vs vertical, but they also record gpu temps - gpu's which are using heat pipes. No change whatsoever.

It's not that I don't believe gravity can affect heat pipes, but maybe heatpipes on graphics cards are just too short to really show any difference. Anyways, this is good for me to know for future video card selection.

edit: although looking at their vertical orientation, the heatpipes of the gpu are still technically horizontal, and not in a "bad orientation" as depicted by your SilverStone link. I think I've been worried for nothing.
It depends a lot on the heatpipe GPU in question. Our very own Smokey did the testing of his 580 LE's in an FT02 vs. 500R, and the temps dropped by well over 30 degrees. I did testing of a 560Ti TFII in an Arc Mini as well as an FT03 with roughly the same CFM In/Out, and temps were 20-25 degrees lower at load (I can't remember the exact amount, and I can't find the link to my test on OCN).

IIRC, the ASUS heatpipe coolers work well (though still not as well as horizontal). What you want to avoid are coolers where the highest portion (in vertical orientation) is physically shorter with a smaller fin area like this:

N465GTX-Twin-FrozrII-_V222_.jpg

The cards in your link are designed to work with blowers still, despite having heatpipes, which is why they do well in the vertical orientation.
Ok bear with me since my watercooling gear has been stored in the closet for the past couple of years -- I've looked up my old order information, and the fittings I own are Bitpower compression fittings, 7/16", 5/8".

I can't find any information on what tubing size I might have ordered to use with those. Ideas?
If barbs: 1/2" ID tubing
If compression: 7/16"x5/8" tubing

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Awesome OP. I know this thread is popular now with Bioshock, and I'm trying to update my rig for both that and FC3. I'm no expert in building (my brother built this for me), so the easier the better (as in, the less I have to swap out, like the mobo, the better). But money is no object.

Here is the rig, any insights would be delightful:
-windows 7
-core i7 950 (3.18 ghz with stock O/C)
-gtx 295 (O/C)
-6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM
-Velociraptor 300 GB 10,000 RPM HDD-
-evga x58 mobo

mkenyon

Banned
Does everyone need to do that before installing Windows?
Yeah.
Awesome OP. I know this thread is popular now with Bioshock, and I'm trying to update my rig for both that and FC3. I'm no expert in building (my brother built this for me), so the easier the better (as in, the less I have to swap out, like the mobo, the better). But money is no object.

-windows 7
-gtx 295 (O/C)
-6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM
-evga x58 mobo
Could try OC'ing your 950 to the 4.0 range. It's pretty similar clock for clock with Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge. Then just get a new videocard, and wait for Haswell. The GTX 670 or 7970 would be an excellent improvement for you.

A high frequency processor will help your performance in those two games dramatically, so that's where I'd start.

t-ramp

-windows 7
-gtx 295 (O/C)
-6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM
-evga x58 mobo
How much do you want to change? Add an SSD, get a current high-end video card, and bump up that overclock, and you should be more than fine for those games. Otherwise you could get a new motherboard and CPU as well, but it's certainly not necessary.

garath

The Corsair K95 and K70 are launching soonTM, and there are of course dozens of other options like Logitech's G710 http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2013/03/21/logitech-g710-review/1

http://www.corsair.com/us/k95/
http://www.corsair.com/k70

Omg. I knew they were coming out with an upgrade to the k60 too. That k70 is perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for when I decided on the CM Quickfire pro. Dammit. My wife will kill me if I buy another keyboard.

I want it so bad :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Got the filters in. Really fast follow through with FrozenCPU.

I just ordered them like late Tuesday and received them today.

I did another quick clean up (an hour lol) as I just went and did some maintenance the other day but I wanted to get more dust out before putting these in.

My wife got her new charger cord for the camera we've had laying dormant for a year so I will be taking pics in a bit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For good pics, get yourself a tripod or set the camera on a stack of books/magazines. It does wonders for clarity.

Will keep it in mind. Bare in mind I'm still messing around with the settings as it's been a year since I used it. I will be taking pics of the build sometime when it charges more. Took a pic with flash and one without as tests. I also got rid of that time stamp ><

These are 6.1mp 16:9 as I didn't want 4:3 at 8.1mp.

Should have downsampled lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace

nbthedude

So, Blu ray drives. I have never had use for one in any of my own builds but a friend of mine I am building a system for expressed interest.

So, a few questions:

1) How is movie playback via bluray drives on PC? I read a few comments saying playback on these drives was always subpar but I'm not sure if that is just random, uninformed internet jibberjabber.

2) Most of these drives seem to come w/o software. What is the best free/cheap software to play back bluray movies?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How much do you want to change? Add an SSD, get a current high-end video card, and bump up that overclock, and you should be more than fine for those games. Otherwise you could get a new motherboard and CPU as well, but it's certainly not necessary.

It's not so much HOW MUCH I want to change, just that I want the change to be easy. :) Like I probably don't want a SSD just to avoid having to move things over. I do think I misstated my OC though, believe it's around 4.0 now.

Two recs so far:
A high frequency processor will help your performance in those two games dramatically, so that's where I'd start.
Which one exactly?

current high-end video card
Same question. :)

And for both of those, if it could just be plug and play (take out my current ones and put in the new ones) that would be greater.

mkenyon

Banned
It's not so much HOW MUCH I want to change, just that I want the change to be easy. :) Like I probably don't want a SSD just to avoid having to move things over. I do think I misstated my OC though, believe it's around 4.0 now.

Two recs so far:

Which one exactly?

Same question. :)

And for both of those, if it could just be plug and play (take out my current ones and put in the new ones) that would be greater.
I meant that you should OC your processor to the 4.0 range. I'd ensure that this is indeed the case before looking at upgrading that.

With Haswell only 2.5 months away, I don't think it's worth you upgrading your motherboard/processor right now. Going with just a video card upgrade would be where you want to start, and then look at rebuilding when the new processors launch.

And yes, any new video card you buy will just go in and work no problems. You'll want to probably remove all of your current drivers, everything in C:\NVIDIA, and then install the latest batch as well.

Thorgal

so i have a few questions id like to ask

first id like to see what PCGAF thinks of my current PC .

i7 3770k
Coolermaster case
power supply 550w
16 GB ram
HD 2tb
motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
GTX 660 2GB
Windows 7

what do you think?

2) now while the 660 is a great card i mainly chose this one to remain within budget limits

so say i want to upgrade next year 2014

should i buy a new card then or wait till HASWELL is out ?

if so which would you recommend based on my build above ?

Also perhaps a very noobish question:

do graphic cards become hotter the higher you go power wise when not overclocked?
ex. does a 680 run much hotter then my 660 when the latter never goes beyond 60 c°

Haswell is a CPU, and since you have a 3770K, there's no reason to upgrade that.

oh whoops stupid me
let me rephrase that one :should i buy a 700 series or wait till the generation after that one if i want to run next gen multiplatform games smoothly as possible?

mkenyon

Banned
Haswell is a CPU, and since you have a 3770K, there's no reason to upgrade that.

Just wait for the next series of video cards which will be out in 6ish months, maybe a bit longer, maybe a bit shorter.

Though more heat is a byproduct of more watts, how hot the card runs entirely depends on the cooler.

noomi

anyone know where I can find a ducky shine 2 keyboard 9008. Looking for white led with brown MX.

So hard to find these.

snack

first id like to see what PCGAF thinks of my current PC .

i7 3770k
Coolermaster case
power supply 550w
16 GB ram
HD 2tb
motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
GTX 660 2GB
Windows 7

what do you think?

2) now while the 660 is a great card i mainly chose this one to remain within budget limits

so say i want to upgrade next year 2014

should i buy a new card then or wait till HASWELL is out ?

if so which would you recommend based on my build above ?

do graphic cards become hotter the higher you go power wise when not overclocked?
ex. does a 680 run much hotter then my 660 when the latter never goes beyond 60 c°
Your build looks great. I'd save your money and just stick with what you have.

nbthedude

It depends upon the individual card. In theory, more power = more heat, but some of them have better cooling solutions than less powerful/older cards thus are better. The only way to really know is read some reviews and look at some benchmarks for individual manufacturer's variations.

brentech

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.74 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Diablotek CPA-6170 ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.79 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 700W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($47.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG BH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: LG E2441T-BN 24.0" Monitor ($191.61 @ Compuvest)
Keyboard: Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Cooler Master SGM-2000-MLON1 Wired Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1319.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-28 15:43 EDT-0400)

Compatibility Notes
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Diablotek CPA-6170 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.

CPU Cooler/RAM, CPU Cooler/Case, and Video Card/Case clearance checking is currently not supported.

Don't know why, but decided to try this site out and just re-create the build I have. Wish you could choose where you were deciding to purchase each part, since it doesn't always come down to price (usually, but not always).

The monitor model isn't the same, but looking at the specs and it looks to be equivalent. I believe everything else is spot on.

Compatibility notes is a pretty cool feature, but I wonder how often people buy parts and there is still a problem....anyways, pretty neat.
edit:woops, left out my HDD, gotta find that on list and edit in...and added

kharma45

oh whoops stupid me
let me rephrase that one :should i buy a 700 series or wait till the generation after that one if i want to run next gen multiplatform games smoothly as possible?

We can only really guesstimate at present but I would imagine your 660 would be good for another generation at worst.

Don't know why, but decided to try this site out and just re-create the build I have. Wish you could choose where you were deciding to purchase each part, since it doesn't always come down to price (usually, but not always).

The monitor model isn't the same, but looking at the specs and it looks to be equivalent. I believe everything else is spot on.

Compatibility notes is a pretty cool feature, but I wonder how often people buy parts and there is still a problem....anyways, pretty neat.

You can if you set it to your preferred merchant list.

bro1

Banned
I am using the HDMI port on my GTX 670 for audio to my AVR. Should I disable the onboard audio on my Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo if I am doing this? If so, should I disable it and then remove the realtek drivers?

brentech

I am using the HDMI port on my GTX 670 for audio to my AVR. Should I disable the onboard audio on my Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo if I am doing this? If so, should I disable it and then remove the realtek drivers?
I would always consider it safest to disable the on board sound. I probably would just leave the drivers there, but that's really up to you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I meant that you should OC your processor to the 4.0 range. I'd ensure that this is indeed the case before looking at upgrading that.

With Haswell only 2.5 months away, I don't think it's worth you upgrading your motherboard/processor right now. Going with just a video card upgrade would be where you want to start, and then look at rebuilding when the new processors launch.

And yes, any new video card you buy will just go in and work no problems. You'll want to probably remove all of your current drivers, everything in C:\NVIDIA, and then install the latest batch as well.

Great, going to put in an order now then. Thanks!

Hello Friends.. been doing some research and wanted to get some input on my soon to be upgrade.

I've now completed my monitor purchase, going a 5760x1080 setup. Looking for Eyefinity or Surround Vision.

I've always been a Nvidia guy on the graphics card front but Ive been reading and seeing price points of the cards Im looking at and.. well, need some direction.

Looking at the 680 4GB version - its about $529.

Other option is 2x 7950s @ $269 each.. how are these in Xfire? but these both come with Crysis 3 and Bioshock at that price. I already own both games so Im guessing ebay can snag me at least $100 in total for both of the cards.

So its about $440 for the 2 7950s or $529 for the 680.

Coming from a 480 btw.

Seems like the right move to go to AMD for the first time in my life!

Someone reassure me!

Also, Im on an i7920 @ 3.8 - no bottleneck issues there, right?

Thanks in advance ~~

ruxtpin

Banned
It would figure...

Accidentally ordered the wrong motherboard from Newegg.

Ordered an Asus Maximus Gene IV, when I needed the Asus Maximus Gene V. The V supports 3rd gen i7, while the IV does not. Is Newegg pretty good about handling unopened refunds? Just need to ship the IV back as soon as I get it.

kharma45

Hello Friends.. been doing some research and wanted to get some input on my soon to be upgrade.

I've now completed my monitor purchase, going a 5760x1080 setup. Looking for Eyefinity or Surround Vision.

I've always been a Nvidia guy on the graphics card front but Ive been reading and seeing price points of the cards Im looking at and.. well, need some direction.

Other option is 2x 7950s @ $269 each.. how are these in Xfire? but these both come with Crysis 3 and Bioshock at that price. I already own both games so Im guessing ebay can snag me at least $100 in total for both of the cards.

Coming from a 480 btw.

Someone reassure me!

Thanks in advance ~~

If you want a multi GPU set up go nvidia, AMD is broken now and won't be fixed until at least June (although SLI isn't perfect as you'll see from the links below). For a single card AMD is still the best with the 7970 but for two right now go nvidia. Two 4GB 670s would be nice or even two 3GB 660s or 660 Ti.

For info about AMD it's worth reading this

http://techreport.com/review/24553/inside-the-second-with-nvidia-frame-capture-tools

http://anandtech.com/show/6862/fcat-the-evolution-of-frame-interval-benchmarking-part-1

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...ils-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Testin

It would figure...

Accidentally ordered the wrong motherboard from Newegg.

Ordered an Asus Maximus Gene IV, when I needed the Asus Maximus Gene V. The V supports 3rd gen i7, while the IV does not. Is Newegg pretty good about handling unopened refunds? Just need to ship the IV back as soon as I get it.

They are fantastic.

mkenyon

Banned

Coming from a 480 btw.

Someone reassure me!

Thanks in advance ~~
You're asking this at a very confusing time.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...ils-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Testin

http://techreport.com/review/24553/inside-the-second-with-nvidia-frame-capture-tools

tl;dr, get two NVIDIA cards right now if you want to play games on three monitors.

At that resolution, you will have a slight bottleneck on two 670s, which is the card setup I would suggest. The bottleneck will be from PCI-E 2.0. A single Titan will give you a card that most likely will stand the test of time much better than two 670s though. If you wait, there might be a Titan Jr. that is coming out within a few months.

If you want a multi GPU set up go nvidia, AMD is broken now and won't be fixed until at least June (although SLI isn't perfect as you'll see from the links below). For a single card AMD is still the best with the 7970 but for two right now go nvidia. Two 4GB 670s would be nice or even two 3GB 660s or 660 Ti.

For info about AMD it's worth reading this

http://anandtech.com/show/6862/fcat-the-evolution-of-frame-interval-benchmarking-part-1

Appreciate the quick response.

From what I've read I cant tell if a single 680 is enough to pay at that resolution comfortably.

About $650 is my max - any suggestions on what the best purchase would be?

Lucid07

Really annoyed, can't find my mobo setup CD so I can install plan drivers and can get on the net. Tried to download them from as rock but they don't work.

You're asking this at a very confusing time.

tl;dr, get two NVIDIA cards right now if you want to play games on three monitors.

At that resolution, you will have a slight bottleneck on two 670s, which is the card setup I would suggest. The bottleneck will be from PCI-E 2.0. A single Titan will give you a card that most likely will stand the test of time much better than two 670s though. If you wait, there might be a Titan Jr. that is coming out within a few months.

Gah, didnt realize the lane would already be a bottleneck :/

Do I need to wait and consider a full rebuild?

Was hoping for one more graphics card update before the rebuild

Bad7667

So I am going to buy the GTX 670 from a recommendation earlier, as my GTX 460 is having a hard time playing Infinite at 1080P.

Are there any specific models that I should be looking for?

kharma45

Appreciate the quick response.

From what I've read I cant tell if a single 680 is enough to pay at that resolution comfortably.

About $650 is my max - any suggestions on what the best purchase would be?

You could get two 3GB 660 Ti's but I'm not sure if 3GB will cut it across those monitors, 4GB might be needed but mkenyon can chime in.

For the 660 Ti this is what I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127708

Haswell is out June so leave any rebuild until then. Your current set up would, at least for me, be acceptable until that time.

mkenyon

Banned
You could get two 3GB 660 Ti's but I'm not sure if 3GB will cut it across those monitors, 4GB might be needed but mkenyon can chime in.

For the 660 Ti this is what I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127708
Everything I've seen shows zero benefit to the larger memory SKUs compared to the standard ones. They run out of rendering gas before lack of VRAM becomes a major issue.
So I am going to buy the GTX 670 from a recommendation earlier, as my GTX 460 is having a hard time playing Infinite at 1080P.

Are there any specific models that I should be looking for?
Gigabyte Windforce or ASUS DCII.

It's not significant, we're talking 10%ish.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

-windows 7
-gtx 295 (O/C)
-6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM
-evga x58 mobo

alright, ordered an evga gtx 690 to spruce this thing up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom