• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Checked the manual for that MB when I woke up and didn't see the led either. Anyway, if you have all those little wires plugged in properly for the power switch and led then the only things that it could be is that that part of the case is messed up I think. Especially since you are able to short the two headers to turn the power on directly. Will do some googling around though to see if there is anything else that it could be.
Thanks. The indicator leds etc don't work either when running the PC with shorting it. But the USB3 slots are powered and work. The reboot switch doesn't work either. So it seems everything on that cable or switch area doesn't function. Unless there's a connection or switch I missed but it's not like I had to assemble that part, it was ready to go.

minty_jpg

Looking for some assistance please.

So I finally got the courage to build a PC and now this happened:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($213.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($128.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6790 1GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.97 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $601.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-28 07:19 EDT-0400)

I'm getting a beeping sound and my MemOk button is red. Looking through the motherboard manual, I couldn't really come up with what the problem was. There is on long beep followed by 2 short beeps. I tried removing the video card and plugging into the motherboards hdmi slot and still got the same beeps/no display. Please guide me GAF. Thank you

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Looking for some assistance please.

So I finally got the courage to build a PC and now this happened:

I'm getting a beeping sound and my MemOk button is red. Looking through the motherboard manual, I couldn't really come up with what the problem was. There is on long beep followed by 2 short beeps. I tried removing the video card and plugging into the motherboards hdmi slot and still got the same beeps/no display. Please guide me GAF. Thank you

According to http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo...7-V&s=39&hashedid=ABep6fu3PbH0d2BW&os=&no=978 that beep code is a memory issue.

1.4.2.1 Memory issue: Beep (1 long 2 short)

A Clean the Golden Finger of memory

B Clean the memory slots

C Leave only one memory stick to test

D If convenient, please change different memory to test again

Check that there's no crap on the memory pins or in the memory slot itself, try using one stick only in the various slots, and failing that try some other memory entirely.

kharma45

Workmate was selling his 680 and it wasn't going to cost me much to sell my 7950 and buy it off him.

My next problem is that my Z77-D3H board only supports Crossfire. Can't believe I was so stupid not to notice it didn't support SLI at the start. So at some point I'll have to replace my system board too.

Happy days!

erick

Banned
Add more fans and remove a storage bay for better airflow, but I still can't keep my Titans under 80C. Doesn't seem possible under air only like some say.
VK68xNh.jpg

Silverstone Raven002 could do it (pic not of my rig).

002.png.jpg

I've actually seen number as low as 26C while idling. If I set the fan on my Titan at 44% (the fastest setting that is still quiet) it stays below 80C.

I am looking to buy a 27" monitor in the next week. Does any one have any good suggestions for a screen (UK shops) in the price region of £250 - £300 (I can go a touch over if it makes a big difference).

What is this one like: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-viewsonic-vp2765-led-wmva-ips-monitor-displayport-dvi-vga-vp2765-led-monitor-full-hd-1920x1080-20

I also saw this one: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-iiyama-prolite-b2776hds-b-led-%28backlit%29-monitor-1920x1080-1ms-300cd-m-12001-speakers-black

I feel a bit lost as my list is growing longer and I cannot see much of a difference between any of the screens I have shortlisted.

Mareg

A co-worker is looking for me to build him a new rig and his only requirment is that it plays WoW at 1080p/60fps at the highest possible settings, Ultra I assume is the highest for WoW.

He already has a 3570k CPU and Mobo to go with it...but not sure what GPU would allow him to hit this goal but also not break the bank. Any suggestions.

Thanks!

WoW performs notably better on Nvidia cards. It is an old game but can be impressively taxing when raiding en-game content.
I'd go with the new gtx-650ti at an affordable 129$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125447

The card linked is factory overclocked :)

Ty4on

*FT02 case*
Yeah, someone at Silverstone got very happy when Nvidia showed off the Titan :p

Going off of what Ty4on posted earlier about mounting video cards (heat tubes) vertically, does anybody have a site where they've done testing or anything? I was curious and wanted to read more about it but Google has failed me. Or I've failed Google. One or the other.
Google has failed me too. Only extra info I know off is this picture from Silverstone and Zalman using a different type of heat pipes for CPU coolers.

Varna

Add more fans and remove a storage bay for better airflow, but I still can't keep my Titans under 80C. Doesn't seem possible under air only like some say.
VK68xNh.jpg

Adding another fan inside the case the funnels the air directly into the cards will help a bit. Stick it on top of your harddrive cage.

I have never had success keeping temps under 80c on stock cooling with SLI setups however. I've done 460 and 580 SLI and temps were always a problem.

okay, so i'm thinking of getting an HD 7790, do you guys think 1GB VRAM will be enough for the next generation of games, or should i spring for an HD 7850 with 2GB?

Current specs:
Phenom II x2 545, 2 unlocked cores, overclocked to 3.2GHz (i plan to upgrade if AMD ever gets their shit together)
4GB 1600MHz RAM (ordering another 4 GB at the same time as the GPU)
GT 630
Corsair 430W power supply (i'm also a little worried about a 7850 on this power supply)

Ideally I'd like to get another 3ish years out of this PC (with upgrades) before building a whole new one.

Google has failed me too. Only extra info I know off is this picture from Silverstone and Zalman using a different type of heat pipes for CPU coolers.

I found a pretty good article.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Vertical-vs-Horizontal-Case-Cooling-89/

They're measuring overall case cooling performance in regard to horizontal vs vertical, but they also record gpu temps - gpu's which are using heat pipes. No change whatsoever.

It's not that I don't believe gravity can affect heat pipes, but maybe heatpipes on graphics cards are just too short to really show any difference. Anyways, this is good for me to know for future video card selection.

edit: although looking at their vertical orientation, the heatpipes of the gpu are still technically horizontal, and not in a "bad orientation" as depicted by your SilverStone link. I think I've been worried for nothing.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, I remember reading that article. One day I'll get around to testing my FT03-mini in all orientations including upside down.

VK68xNh.jpg

Have you tried getting rid of the two top exaust fans? They draw air away from the GPUs and compete with the Titans in blowing air out. With blowers you always want positive pressure to help push air out through the GPUs as they themselves act as exaust fans. With two titans and three exaust fans versus two intake fans you have negative pressure.

Definitely go 7850 if you can afford it.

I will admit, I'm starting to wish I ordered a 7850 now - or more so, a card without a blower. I just feel like the blower is going to be too loud for the home theater environment.

I get the case delivered today. What I want to do is check out the side panel and see if there will be enough clearance to install a case fan for the gpu. If there is, I'll feel better about purchasing a card with open-air cooling.

mackattk

So I played around with OC'ing my i5 2500k more last night to try to get a little bit more performance out of it. I got it up to 4.5ghz, but temps were 68-72C under prime 95. Is that too high? Should I dial the OC down a bit?

kharma45

So I played around with OC'ing my i5 2500k more last night to try to get a little bit more performance out of it. I got it up to 4.5ghz, but temps were 68-72C under prime 95. Is that too high? Should I dial the OC down a bit?

They're fine for Prime figures, it's about as high as you'd want to go.

minty_jpg

Check that there's no crap on the memory pins or in the memory slot itself, try using one stick only in the various slots, and failing that try some other memory entirely.

Thank you for your help, I will definitely try this.

This is my first build nad it's a little confusing, but is it okay that the RAM sticks are too big for the "clickers" to click down on them? I mean, it is pushed in there and all, just not "clicked" because the sticks are too big.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Random question for you guys, with the PS4/Nextbox coming out later this year, does it make sense to wait before building a PC? I'm moving apartments in the summer and was planning to build a gaming PC for my new place, but I feel like it may be upended by the consoles pretty fast once they release in the fall.

HoosTrax

Ok bear with me since my watercooling gear has been stored in the closet for the past couple of years -- I've looked up my old order information, and the fittings I own are Bitpower compression fittings, 7/16", 5/8".

I can't find any information on what tubing size I might have ordered to use with those. Ideas?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Thank you for your help, I will definitely try this.

This is my first build nad it's a little confusing, but is it okay that the RAM sticks are too big for the "clickers" to click down on them? I mean, it is pushed in there and all, just not "clicked" because the sticks are too big.

You've bought DDR3 RAM for a recently-made motherboard right? They all fit, and all they go in one way only. Make sure you have it the right way round and then push down with even force until they click in. If they don't click in they're not seated properly and the system won't boot.

It has to click.

It's pretty obvious how they go in there - there's only one way they will fit - but sometimes it takes a little force.

minty_jpg

It has to click.

It's pretty obvious how they go in there - there's only one way they will fit - but sometimes it takes a little force.

You've bought DDR3 RAM for a recently-made motherboard right? They all fit, and all they go in one way only. Make sure you have it the right way round and then push down with even force until they click in. If they don't click in they're not seated properly and the system won't boot.

http://i.imgur.com/TIZQWrJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0W165Qo.jpg

I'm inserting them into the light blue ones (I did check, they are DDR3) and am pressing down gently and it feels a bit wobbly. Should I press with more force?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
TIZQWrJ.jpg

0W165Qo.jpg

I'm inserting them into the light blue ones (I did check, they are DDR3) and am pressing down gently and it feels a bit wobbly. Should I press with more force?

Holy hell, quote that shit, son!

It's really difficult to tell whether they're in the right way based on the angle of the photos, but it's pretty obvious when you've got them in your hand. If it's in the correct way round, yes, push down a bit harder using an open palm along the length of the RAM. Some slots can be a bit sticky.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Sorry, fixed it >___<

It's really difficult to tell whether they're in the right way based on the angle of the photos, but it's pretty obvious when you've got them in your hand. If it's in the correct way round, yes, push down a bit harder using an open palm along the length of the RAM. Some slots can be a bit sticky.

radjago

I tried out a mechanical keyboard from Rosewill and Cooler Master at PAX and realized how much I miss the feel of them. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

You probably just need to push harder.

Just try to slide in each side a bit at a time so it goes down evenly. That way the nub in the middle slides into the notch more easily. You don't have to 'click' each side at the same time, but try to go as evenly as possible, and puuuuuuuuush.

mackattk

I tried out a mechanical keyboard from Rosewill and Cooler Master at PAX and realized how much I miss the feel of them. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

I just picked up a Rosewill a few weeks ago with red switches. Overall I really enjoy it and is much better than my other keyboards. My only suggestion is to get a sampler kit of different types of switches so you can test all the different kinds. It was really a toss up between red and browns for me.

minty_jpg

Still nothing. I'm pressing down with force and they are tightly in there but the side dongles aren't clicking in.

Have you tried getting rid of the two top exaust fans? They draw air away from the GPUs and compete with the Titans in blowing air out. With blowers you always want positive pressure to help push air out through the GPUs as they themselves act as exaust fans. With two titans and three exaust fans versus two intake fans you have negative pressure.

This is very interesting and i hope someone can comment on it. Im looking to keep my sapphire 7950 vapor x cool as it seems to run at 70c with my fans blaring, so I'm wondering if maybe getting rid of my top exhaust fan will help.

I am also using the Fractal r4.

gilljoy

Damn the PSU i was planning on using with my prodigy won't fit :( its 10cm too long :(

Can anyone recommend me a good PSU for use with a 7970 and 3770k?

Edit: for reference its was a XFX 850W black psu

I just picked up a Rosewill a few weeks ago with red switches. Overall I really enjoy it and is much better than my other keyboards. My only suggestion is to get a sampler kit of different types of switches so you can test all the different kinds. It was really a toss up between red and browns for me.

That is a pretty cool thing. I've just been suggesting that people go to a local microcenter or something and opening a few boxes of the keyboards they have in stock to test out the different switch types. They normally have a few of the coolermaster quickfire rapids that are really good if you can get past the ugly branding, and some of the riced out corsair boards.

The Corsair K95 and K70 are launching soonTM, and there are of course dozens of other options like Logitech's G710 http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2013/03/21/logitech-g710-review/1

http://www.corsair.com/us/k95/
http://www.corsair.com/k70

Did the corsair ones go full mechanical yet? Seem to remember that they were the ones that skimped out and made the home cluster and F keys membrane.

DJ_Lae

I got my sampler kit in the mail the other day.

Blues are way, way too loud, and don't remind me of the good kind of clicking I remember from my old mechanical keyboards (I should dig my old Apple Extended Keyboard and compare). My wife immediately preferred the reds but I'm still torn between them and the browns. The bump on the brown's travel does feel a tiny bit odd but it's also nice to get some feedback on each press.

knitoe

I have 4 intake fans, 2 140mm front, 1 140mm bottom and 180 mm side.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Still nothing. I'm pressing down with force and they are tightly in there but the side dongles aren't clicking in.

I don't know what else to suggest... I have never had a 'doesn't fit' issue in all my years of PC'ing.

Did the corsair ones go full mechanical yet? Seem to remember that they were the ones that skimped out and made the home cluster and F keys membrane.

Yep, all mechanical now.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Quick question if I install a ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E GX2.5 will I then have to plug my headphones into the back of my computer to utilize it or will the jack on the front be recognized by the card?

MedIC86

Has anybody ever swapped a fan out of their psu? Is it easy? Do they have the 3-pin connector inside?

I realize it voids warranty.

Yes most PSU's have a 3-pin connector, make sure to double check that you put the fan in the right direction.

Can anyone guess how much the new haswell cpu's will be faster (games/benchmarks) then the current lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom