• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Everything I've seen shows zero benefit to the larger memory SKUs compared to the standard ones. They run out of rendering gas before lack of VRAM becomes a major issue.

Cheers. I would've thought the 660 Ti would've had enough grunt to make use to the 3GB. I could only find one review of the setup in SLI when i was doing a bit of quick rewding on it http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/31/galaxy_geforce_gtx_660_ti_gc_3gb_sli_review/#.UVS2PbQgGSM

660 Ti seems a bit strange then if the 2GB version can only really make use of 1.5GB properly and the 3GB isn't fully utilised due to a lack of processing power.

alright, ordered an evga gtx 690 to spruce this thing up :)

If money was no object I would've went for a Titan.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I found this review of my case which mentions they too had an issue with the switches etc.

http://techreport.com/review/21759/corsair-carbide-400r-mid-tower-chassis

For some reason, the ribbon cable connecting the front panel's buttons and LEDs was disconnected when I received the case. Whether it was jostled loose during shipping or was simply overlooked at the factory, I can't be sure. This issue became painfully evident during the first system boot attempt, when absolutely nothing happened. Some quick troubleshooting revealed the system would boot successfully when the power pins on the motherboard were directly shorted with a screwdriver, so the issue had to reside somewhere up the chain, in either the wiring or the switch assembly itself.

After removing the front face plate and unscrewing the I/O-panel board, I discovered the detached cable. For experienced builders, having to reconnect this cable is a moderately annoying but easily remedied issue. For novice system builders still learning the ropes, such an issue may not be as readily identifiable, and it could result in the initiation of a frustrating RMA.

They mention that it was just a disconnected cable on one end. But I don't know how to open the front plate and check. Does anyone? I couldn't find a guide with google.

kharma45

Yes.

I guess my options are down to:

2 660 ti 3GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127708 for $610

1 680 4GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125448 for $515

2 660 3GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130835 for $460

I'll heed to the GAFPC crowd to tell me the best bang for the buck

Thanks again for taking the time.

First link isn't working. For a single card 7970 is the best VFM especially with the free games bundle. Out of those though I would go for the 680, although a 4GB 670 is also worth considering.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If money was no object I would've went for a Titan.

These were sold out on Newegg. Is it really that big a difference? gtx 690 seems to be pretty good.

And can you point me to a recommended one on Amazon? There are bunch of different ones.

mkenyon

Banned
It has legs too. 6GB GDDR5, which is only like 2 less than PS3!

*trollface*

But seriously, the card is crazy powerful and avoids any random SLI issues that might crop up. It's always going to work really well, no fuss, no muss.

*edit*

Hmmmm, looks like they're still being sold at a premium. They come back in stock fairly regularly now though. This is the cheapest but still has a $100 tax on it.

I'd put Newegg, EVGA.com and Amazon on auto-notify.

kharma45

These were sold out on Newegg. Is it really that big a difference? gtx 690 seems to be pretty good.

And can you point me to a recommended one on Amazon? There are bunch of different ones.

NCIX have them us.ncix.com/products/?sku=80861&vpn=06G-P4-2793-KR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1334

It has legs too. 6GB GDDR5, which is only like 2 less than PS3!

*trollface*

But seriously, the card is crazy powerful and avoids any random SLI issues that might crop up. It's always going to work really well, no fuss, no muss.

*edit*

Hmmmm, looks like they're still being sold at a premium. They come back in stock fairly regularly now though. This is the cheapest but still has a $100 tax on it.

I'd put Newegg, EVGA.com and Amazon on auto-notify.

NCIX has a few at different prices us.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=Titan

Zotac is cheapest and that EVGA above is the most expensive. Also an ASUS and another EVGA too.

itf56

How do I work out what PSU I need - I think I've always gone for overkill in the past:

Here's the build I'm thinking of:

i7 3770
P8Z77-V DELUXE
Soundblaster Z
Samsung 256GB SSD
2* 3Tb SATA
3* 1Tb SATA
BD-Writer
Card Reader
AMD 7950
16GB RAM

I tried a couple of calculators, but the results varied pretty wildly.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I found this review of my case which mentions they too had an issue with the switches etc.

http://techreport.com/review/21759/corsair-carbide-400r-mid-tower-chassis

They mention that it was just a disconnected cable on one end. But I don't know how to open the front plate and check. Does anyone? I couldn't find a guide with google.
Nevermind, I did it :D

It's easy to come off in the end, then you just unscrew a bit and reveal the cables.

Now it all works except the HDD activity LED, I'll figure that out tomorrow... Yay..!

nbthedude

I noticed while playing Bioshock Infinite and idling for a few minutes to check mail, etc, that my fans were kicking in pretty hard.

I checked my temperature and it's 83C at 90% fan load. I have a Saphhire 7970 OC. Is this normal?

Edit: When I load back into the game it drops to 75C pretty quickly. It seems to only jump high when I alt+tab.

mkenyon

Banned
How do I work out what PSU I need - I think I've always gone for overkill in the past:

i7 3770
P8Z77-V DELUXE
Soundblaster Z
Samsung 256GB SSD
2* 3Tb SATA
3* 1Tb SATA
BD-Writer
Card Reader
AMD 7950
16GB RAM

One of the 500-600W PSUs in the OP.
What is the difference between the 1049 you linked and the 1099? Just what it's clocked at? Any reason to get the 1099?
It has a T-Shirt and an extra poster. Not kidding.

kharma45

i7 3770
P8Z77-V DELUXE
Soundblaster Z
Samsung 256GB SSD
2* 3Tb SATA
3* 1Tb SATA
BD-Writer
Card Reader
AMD 7950
16GB RAM

As mkenyon says, 500-600w. What is your budget?

It has a T-Shirt and an extra poster. Not kidding.
What a deal!

I'm very disillusioned with modern cases. I can't think of a single person who needs 10 3.5" bays and several 5.25" bays yet every case seems to throw them in as if it is a feature they should be proud of.

kennah

I'm very disillusioned with modern cases. I can't think of a single person who needs 10 3.5" bays and several 5.25" bays yet every case seems to throw them in as if it is a feature they should be proud of.
What? Most good cases has those removable for airflow and optional needs.

If you want to be impressed, look at ITX cases.

mkenyon

Banned
As Kennah points out, these are removable most of the time. They're filling space as the people who don't want a ton of bays want a ton of radiator space. If you don't want either of those, you probably at least want 2x120mm as intake. The bays being removable makes everyone happy.
bahah. ok. actually i realized there's a 1049 (linked) and a 1059. those seem to have different clock speeds.
They can all be set to those speeds, just get the cheapest, IMO. EVGA, ASUS, and Gigabyte all have similar RMA systems. I'm unsure about Zotac.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Couldn't find proper options for shudder speed but none the less, I took 2 more shots. I may enable flash again for better lighting even if it's ghastly!

000_002768y4p.png

000_0032qraq9.png

itf56

Thanks. In the context of this build being over a grand anyway, I can stretch a little. I was thinking about

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/680w...s-gold-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v2 which is cheaper than the 550 version?

Oxn

Man when I bought the 6870 1GB version, just under 1.5yrs ago I thought i would be future proofed for atleast the next 3 years.

Then i bought a 1440p monitor,and even WoW on ultra settings doesnt do 60fps.

Tomb Raider and Max Payne 3 gets 20-30fps with almost everything maxed.

knitoe

Would anyone know why my GPU is hovering at 50% usage when playing games like TR and Bioshock? CPU usage seems around that, too.
Specs? What res? Game settings?

Man when I bought the 6870 1GB version, just under 1.5yrs ago I thought i would be future proofed for atleast the next 3 years.

Then i bought a 1440p monitor,and even WoW on ultra settings doesnt do 60fps.

Tomb Raider and Max Payne 3 gets 20-30fps with almost everything maxed.
The only thing in PC that can remotely be called "futureproofing" is the PSU. Video card then CPU are the least likely. Right now, I would only recommend 3GB VRAM or more for video cards.

Specs? What res? Game settings?

The only thing in PC that can remotely be called "futureproofing" is the PSU. Video card then CPU are the least likely. Right now, I would only recommend 3GB VRAM or more for video cards.

1920 x 1080. Everything on high except for TressFX and getting around 50FPS constant. Happy with it but just wondering why my GPU isn't using 100%. Would it be because I'm capping the Framerate at 60?

Also,

GTX570
i5-2400 3.9Ghz
8GB DDR3

knitoe

Are those FPS?

If it is 41 at that massive resolution, does that mean it will be even higher at 1080?

Yes. Much more, 1600p vs 1080p.

1920 x 1080. Everything on high except for TressFX and getting around 50FPS constant. Happy with it but just wondering why my GPU isn't using 100%. Would it be because I'm capping the Framerate at 60?

Also,

GTX570
i5-2400 3.9Ghz
8GB DDR3
Could be. Disable VSnyc. Do you will see faster FPS and higher GPU usage?

knitoe

Just one thing -- is there a reason why the Titan is more recommended than the 690 even though 690 seems to have better benchmark? This is from a single-monitor user.

Single GPU vs dual GPU. More GPU setup can cause micro stuttering and need driver updates for better performance with new games. Plus, the Titan has 6GB VRAM which will come into play when more games, probably when next gen consoles are out, use >2GB found in the 690.

kharma45

Thanks. In the context of this build being over a grand anyway, I can stretch a little. I was thinking about

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/680w...s-gold-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v2 which is cheaper than the 550 version?

It's cheaper because it's not quite as good as the Pro 10, although the Pro 10 is really expensive for what you're getting truth be told, that XFX is much better value for money and is still a very quiet unit.

I found the G 550 from Seasonic for less money again, £76 at OCUK http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-018-SS

Some reviews of the units I've listed (and the one you posted) from Jonny Guru

be-quiet! Straight Power E9-680W

beQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 550W

Seasonic X-750 750W (this is that XFX 750w but with the OEM branding on it). If you want an actual review of the XFX itself Hardware Secrets has done one but it is exactly the same unit as that Seasonic.

Seasonic G Series 550W

These are all very high quality power supplies and you won't go wrong with any of them. Read those reviews (and others, I just like Jonny Guru's but there is a lot more for all of the units listed) and see what suits you best from a price-performance stand point. Again, you won't go wrong with any of them.

Edit - Also came across this fanless PSU from Seasonic if you want total silence http://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w...lus-platinum-full-modular-eps-12v-fanless-atx

Review here from Silent PC http://www.silentpcreview.com/Seasonic_Platinum_Fanless_520W_PSU

Just one thing -- is there a reason why the Titan is more recommended than the 690 even though 690 seems to have better benchmark? This is from a single-monitor user.

Titan is a single GPU whereas the 690 is dual so can suffer the usual SLI issues, plus Titan offers 3x the VRAM of the 690. It's the better choice as it's a single card, uses less energy, puts out less heat and is only marginally worse.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cool, that sgtm. Been on SLI for 5+ years now so actually happy to get away from those issues. Presume it can be better OC'd as well, which I might be visiting this thread for advice on once I get the card set up. :)

lmpaler

Looking like a 4.5 stable OC. Posting on my phone now and letting the test run.

Any way to get higher on air? Once I hit 4.6 it won't boot lol. :-(

I've tweaked with the voltage so I'm happy with a stable 4.5, but if there is room for more I'm down.

Go big or go home.

mkenyon

Banned
One of the resident PC-GAF crazies who helps out a ton. Saw him banned when I clicked the link to the Titan thread.

Very sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom