• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Hey guys, am I futureproof with this machine?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£824.98 @ Novatech)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£89.98 @ Dabs)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme/BF3 EATX LGA2011 Motherboard (£354.39 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£285.80 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£359.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£359.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) (£803.74 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) (£803.74 @ Ebuyer)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card (£138.68 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Lian-Li PC-V750B (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (£281.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro 156.3 CFM 230mm Fan (£14.76 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA Classified 1500W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£375.96 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£65.63 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (£284.50 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Wired Standard Keyboard (£120.00 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW Wired Laser Mouse (£35.57 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £7740.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-29 10:07 GMT+0000)

We unofficially support 4-way SLI - get your shit together son!

Smokey

Hey Smokey, that's gotta be dynamic ram or something right? Like it's using that much because you have a lot type of thing? Otherwise it's surprising that a console port will use that much VRAM. I guess what I'm also trying to say is that, I think 2GB of VRAM doesn't mean you can't run current or next gen games, you just need to turn down settings; e.g. AA or textures.

In my mind that means it's not sufficient if you have to turn things down to keep it under the VRAM limit. Just a thought of mine. Minimum of 3GB plz. They are fine at the moment for 1080p. For the most part at least. But yeah, dynamic RAM plays a part in it. Games will eat up whatever you have available, but I'd personally feel better with at least 3GB heading into next-gen.

Indeed. :(

I was perfectly happy... but then I had to read about how my 690GTX secretly sucks. Well, I won't be out too much at least. What did you end up selling your 690 for Smokey?

The 690 doesn't suck! The VRAM situation is the only thing holding it back from being the perfect single slot card in my eyes.

derder

CPU: Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£824.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme/BF3 EATX LGA2011 Motherboard (£354.39 @ Amazon UK)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card (£138.68 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Lian-Li PC-V750B (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (£281.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA Classified 1500W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£375.96 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Keyboard: Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Wired Standard Keyboard (£120.00 @ Amazon UK)

I don't know if this is future proof considering that a new socket mobo is coming out in two months

Smokey

My troll senses are undecided on this post

Upon further review this machine is un-optimized and is still lacking 8GB GDDR5. A+

JB1981

Is this PC worth it for $699?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B16YBBG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also does it make a difference when a GPU has 3GB of onboard ram vs 1 or 2? If so how does it make a difference?

Enjoy extreme gaming and multimedia experience with the CM6730-US010S featuring Intel’s i5-3350P 3.1Ghz CPU and NVIDIA GT640 3GB Graphics. This system is also a media powerhouse with an included HDMI, 16GB of system memory, and a 1TB HDD for your digital media. Asus is also rank as leading PC manufacturer with reliability by PC word user survey.

HoosTrax

I'm very disillusioned with modern cases. I can't think of a single person who needs 10 3.5" bays and several 5.25" bays yet every case seems to throw them in as if it is a feature they should be proud of.
Why I am liking the smaller form factor cases now, along with more higher quality motherboards in those small form factors. Was a time when I always loved multi card setups with water cooling, but after dealing with it for years I now prefer a single card and a good hsf for the cpu.
I am of the same mindset. I bought a Coolermaster Centurion 590 years ago, and boy am I regretting it now. It's one of those typical "stacker" style cases, where the front of the case is taken up by a column of nine 5.25" bays. Well I only have one 5.25" device installed (DVD drive), and I have used that once in three years. Plus one HDD and one SDD. What a colossal waste of space.

These days, when I see people doing a [mainstream, not super high end] new build with a regular ATX setup, I almost want to speak up and ask "do you really need that".

kharma45

Is this PC worth it for $699?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B16YBBG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also does it make a difference when a GPU has 3GB of onboard ram vs 1 or 2? If so how does it make a difference?

GPU is pretty weak on it. VRAM does make a difference if your card has enough power to make use of larger amounts which the GT640 is nowhere close to doing so.

What are you looking to use the PC for? Would you consider building your own?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Actually there are none available at the usual places I shop... this will give me some time to think. Maybe when I get my 690GTX tomorrow I will just be happy with it and forget about this whole thing. There really isn't any reason for me to want to upgrade. I just bought the thing five months ago!

We all know how this ends though...

Dude I would wait... 690 is a better card. The Titan will go down as the most overrated card in history. Just think about this: Maxed with hair simulation at 2560x1600 Tombraider gets you 25 fps. You really think next gen games are going to run wonders on it? If you want to spend a fortune wait for the real killer cards once next gen starts.

Unless you really have money to burn and next year you want to spend another grand that is...

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Dude I would wait... 690 is a better card. The Titan will go down as the most overrated card in history. Just think about this: Maxed with hair simulation at 2560x1600 Tombraider gets you 25 fps. You really think next gen games are going to run wonders on it? If you want to spend a fortune wait for the real killer cards once next gen starts.

Unless you really have money to burn and next year you want to spend another grand that is...

Define "maxed".

JB1981

GPU is pretty weak on it. VRAM does make a difference if your card has enough power to make use of larger amounts which the GT640 is nowhere close to doing so.

What are you looking to use the PC for? Would you consider building your own?

Looking to use it for straight up pacing gaming and general use. I would consider building my own but I really don't want something big and bulky. Is it harder to build a small form factor PC vs a larger desktop case? I saw Mkenyon's thread on this. I always don't want to break the bank. Would love to stay under $800 but also want a very capable machine. I have been thinking of doing the X51 for a while now but the i7/660 model is a little more than I want to pay

mackattk

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question but here I go.

I need a comfortable, yet affordable computer chair. I've been using a $30 chair from Walmart and it is the most uncomfortable thing ever. My ass can no longer put up with it. It completely hampers my gaming experience.

Any recommendations?

If you don't mind used office furniture, I would say find a used office furniture reseller in your area. Go down there and try out a bunch of different chairs. Office chairs can be pretty damn comfortable, since they are made to sit on 6-8 hours a day. That's where I found mine, and it is a hell of a lot better than the chairs at Staples/Office Max/etc. If you don't want used chairs, you can still go down there and see what brands you like, and see if they can order you a new model or find an alternative source. I try not to use stores as a showroom, but sometimes you don't have much of a choice.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Looking to use it for straight up pacing gaming and general use. I would consider building my own but I really don't want something big and bulky. Is it harder to build a small form factor PC vs a larger desktop case? I saw Mkenyon's thread on this. I always don't want to break the bank. Would love to stay under $800 but also want a very capable machine. I have been thinking of doing the X51 for a while now but the i7/660 model is a little more than I want to pay

I built this for $450 for our site: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...ft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-pc-for-less-than-450

Yea, it doesn't have a CD drive or an OS, but most people already own those. By speccing out your own system you can save a ton of money and get something far better (650 Ti vs. GT 640 is a night and day difference in performance).

kharma45

eBay and Dell Outlet are places to look for 'bargain' X51s like this maybe http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-ALIENW...1178609789?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item3f2381347d

SFF always costs more as you probably already know. From what I know SFF isn't massively hard to build but you'd need to ask some of the guys on here who've done it. You could build an ITX system that features a 7850/660/7870 for about $850. Overclocked i5 @ 4.X GHz too (and yes mkenyon I did just verbatim copy your post from the X51 thread :p).

These aren't SFF but for around $700 you can get these sort of things http://pcpartpicker.com/p/N0bC, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/N0bX and an AMD option for the CPU http://pcpartpicker.com/p/N0cn. Still wiggle room in your top end budget too for changes to them.

Smokey

Did you throw an extra touch of hyperbole in your coffee this morning?

Overrated and over priced do not have the same meaning.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So my LG monitor has a response time setting in a menu screen that I can switch between off, low, middle and high... Is there any damage risked by any option? Why would it even have a setting? I imagine off is best?

Smokey

So my LG monitor has a response time setting in a menu screen that I can switch between off, low, middle and high... Is there any damage risked by any option? Why would it even have a setting? I imagine off is best?

I'd imagine if it's anything that can hurt the monitor they will give some kind of warning before you change the settings.

Alexios

Yeah but what would be best? For games.

What about the rest settings? Sharpness and stuff? I just don't know what's best and I'm probably conditioned to shit image quality by now.

Not that this monitor will be amazing or anything as it's probably among the cheapest for 1080p, but still...

It also seems a little too dark even though its brightness setting was maxed by default.

Or it's the contrast throwing me off with better blacks, I dunno.

brentech

What about the rest settings? Sharpness and stuff? I just don't know what's best and I'm probably conditioned to shit image quality by now.

Not that this monitor will be amazing or anything as it's probably among the cheapest for 1080p, but still...

It also seems a little too dark even though its brightness setting was maxed by default.

Or it's the contrast throwing me off with better blacks, I dunno.

Which one did you get?
I bought an LG 24EN33 and the brightness was way too bright for my eyes with factory settings. I switched it down to 30, contrast 70, and left the sharpness at 5. Anything lower and things got a little washed out.

Alexios

22EA53

You're right it's not the brightness, I can set it much lower than the default max without issue too.

I set sharpness to 6, it seems a tad better.

And left contrast to 70.

I'm really not noticing a difference between the response time settings, at least in movies, so I'll leave it at default, middle, unless someone explains why that's bad.

Ashes

Banned
motherboard's giving me driver errors in win 8. it fails to wake up properly after being suspended sometimes. Is there any point in upgrading my motherboard right now? I could just wait for Haswell, which is due in a couple of months right?

Need an honest response here please.

How far should I drive to get a EVGA Geforce 9800 GX2 for $100.

I understand I'd need a new PSU to run this thing, but I figured if I had this, that would be much easier to deal with.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What is the best windows app for doing diagnostics? I haven't upgraded any parts of my pic in years so just want to make sure everything's running ok.

knitoe

I understand I'd need a new PSU to run this thing, but I figured if I had this, that would be much easier to deal with.

Why would you want to spend any money on a 5 year old video card tech? Save your money and buy something current.

0.0 miles/kilo/etc.

Could you list your current specs so we can have something to go by and then give you suggestions?

Smokey

Damn somebody is trying to play you with that card and price

gilljoy

Ok slowly but surely narrowing down the case choice:

Fractal R4
Corsair 650D
Corsair 550D

Anyone have any other recommendations?

He probably means a 6870. Which would still be a pretty good price.

I remember wanting a 6870 as a card for a older build and it was going for over 100-150 dollars at that point, plus the 6970 should be better. So yea the price is pretty crazy.

yea, there must be something wrong with it judging by prices on ebay or other retailers :/

to be fair the card could actually be fine but its weird where he's pretty much ripping you off with one card and underselling (imo) with another (assuming both deals are from the same person).

mkenyon

Banned
I'm here to smash the inductive reasoning pushing for additional VRAM over the last few pages.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying you are all wrong, I am specifically saying I WANT BETTER INFORMATION TO CONVINCE ME.

1358156581jFW1DADzbr_6_5_l.gif

1358156581jFW1DADzbr_5_6_l.gif

1358156581jFW1DADzbr_4_5_l.gif

1358156581jFW1DADzbr_3_8_l.gif

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

I'm not quoting them to make sure they are huge and in your face.

Also, you all know I'm not a fan of FPS benchmarking due to it's horribly inaccurate nature. I'm not entirely convinced that the above information is proof that more VRAM on 670s/680s is worthless. We know for a fact that it does improve modded Skyrim and Rage, but those are very tiny outliers.

But, the argument "I turned my shit up and now I'm using more than 2GB of RAM so you want more than 2GB of RAM" is a really bad one. Get some data.

Soi-Fong

Hey guys. Just wanted an answer to some of these question. Hazaro told me to post in the the forum.

I thought you might know the answer to this question. I'm planning on bringing my PC tower with me to an internship and I was hoping you could answer a question or two.

I'm planning on going by plane and brining my PC tower. I'll be taking with me on the carry on, my two main SSD's, my video card, and memory.

The rest of the tower with the CPU, my H100 cooler and motherboard along with the fans and power supply I'll leave in the tower to check in.

I just had a question on whether I should worry about the H100 leaking or whatnot because of the pressure change when going up and down.

Also, I had a question or I guess I wanted your opinion on what do you think I should bring with me in the carry on.

to be fair the card could actually be fine but its weird where he's pretty much ripping you off with one card and underselling (imo) with another (assuming both deals are from the same person).

They are two different people in different locations. The "ripper" wouldn't drive 30 minutes to meet to rip me off, so he's out of the picture

lmpaler

I'm here to smash the inductive reasoning pushing for additional VRAM over the last few pages.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying you are all wrong, I am specifically saying I WANT BETTER INFORMATION TO CONVINCE ME.

1358156581jFW1DADzbr_6_5_l.gif

1358156581jFW1DADzbr_5_6_l.gif

1358156581jFW1DADzbr_4_5_l.gif

1358156581jFW1DADzbr_3_8_l.gif

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

Also, you all know I'm not a fan of FPS benchmarking due to it's horribly inaccurate nature. I'm not entirely convinced that the above information is proof that more VRAM on 670s/680s is worthless. We know for a fact that it does improve modded Skyrim and Rage, but those are very tiny outliers.

But, the argument "I turned my shit up and now I'm using more than 2GB of RAM so you want more than 2GB of RAM" is a really bad one. Get some data.

Max Payne was so much damn fun, although the PC specs are stupid ridiculous. Those charts further enforce my love for my 670. I love this thing.

knitoe

The problem is current games are designed for 2GB VRAM. If the game starts hitting wall, they seem to be dynamically adjusting to stay under. Thus, it may not show up during FPS numbers. To overcome this, you need games with third party mods that pushes beyond the games original design, like Skyrim.

And, when people were saying 1GB was fine for 1080p, I recommended 2GB because I was pretty sure games will start using more VRAM. It's that time again. The current games 2GB are fine for 1080p, but I would still recommend 3GB or more given the games will use more once nextgen consoles becomes standard.

The problem is current games are designed for 2GB VRAM. If the game starts hitting wall, they seem to be dynamically adjusting to stay under. Thus, it may not show up during FPS numbers. To overcome this, you need games with third party mods that pushes beyond the games original design, like Skyrim.

And, when people were saying 1GB was fine for 1080p, I recommended 2GB because I was pretty sure games will start using more VRAM. It's that time again. 2GB is fine for 1080p, but I recommend 4GB given more games will use it once nextgen consoles are released.

Huh? 1GB VRAM is still fine for anything up until 1080p. There is literally zero difference between the HD7850 1GB and the HD7850 2GB.
Not saying one should still get a 1GB performance card, but 2GB seems to be the sweet spot atm imo.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't think modded Skyrim is a good indicator of what the performance will be like due to the nature of how mods are implemented.

The other thing is that very specifically, I don't think the 670/680 have the memory bandwidth and general performance to where the additional RAM will change a game from stuttery mess to playable. If a game is using that much VRAM out of the gate, I really don't think the card will even be able to keep up with pumping out frames in the first place. All the evidence I've seen supports this as well.

If we were talking about a 2GB vs. 6GB Titan, that is a different story. Or a 1.5GB vs. 3GB 7950/7970. But neither of those exist.

*edit*

And yea, 1GB of VRAM is still fine for anything up to 1080p.

*edit 2*

Enough theorizing, I just want some data to back up these theories as there isn't anything to support it other than inductive reasoning and speculation. Those aren't sound ways to offer consumer advice.

knitoe

Huh? 1GB VRAM is still fine for anything up until 1080p. There is literally zero difference between the HD7850 1GB and the HD7850 2GB.
Not saying one should still get a 1GB performance card, but 2GB seems to be the sweet spot atm imo.

I don't think modded Skyrim is a good indicator of what the performance will be like due to the nature of how mods are implemented.

The other thing is that very specifically, I don't think the 670/680 have the memory bandwidth and general performance to where the additional RAM will change a game from stuttery mess to playable. If a game is using that much VRAM out of the gate, I really don't think the card will even be able to keep up with pumping out frames in the first place. All the evidence I've seen supports this as well.

If we were talking about a 2GB vs. 6GB Titan, that is a different story. Or a 1.5GB vs. 3GB 7950/7970. But neither of those exist.

*edit*

And yea, 1GB of VRAM is still fine for anything up to 1080p.

*edit 2*

Enough theorizing, I just want some data to back up these theories as there isn't anything to support it other than inductive reasoning and speculation. Those aren't sound ways to offer consumer advice.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6359/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-review/6
The fact of the matter is that while the benchmarks don’t necessarily show it, along with Skyrim we’ve seen Crysis clobber 1GB cards in the past, Shogun II’s highest settings won’t even run on a 1GB card, and at meanwhile Battlefield 3 scales up render distance with available video memory. Nearly half of our benchmark games do benefit from 2GB cards, a subjective but important quality.
The BF3 example is why using just FPS can be misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom