• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

5QuImCb.jpg

What case is this? And anyone know the model of those monitors? It's a benq.

Looks like a CM690 II Black and White. I have one!

snack

Those are sweet cases. Now I'm torn between the military green/white Corsair Vengeance and the CM Stryker. Both look superb in my mind. But which one would you go for?

Edit: oops typo

Addnan

Those are sweet cases. Now I'm torn between the military green/white CM Vengeance and the CM Stryker. Both look superb in my mind. But which one would you go for?
I like the black and white. The Corsair was the one I was going to go for, but found a deal on the CM. I love white cases.

itf56

Question 1:

Yea its alright, PSUs will either have:

a full 8pin connector
2 - 4pin connectors
both

so just use the one you have available (ensure the big 24 pin one is connected also :p)

Question 2:

Since you wont be OCing the default fan should be alright (since hey it came with the processor) but it you want another heat sink the best choice mentioned many times in the thread is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. It does a really good job for air and is cheaper than that Noctua. (around 33 bucks or so).

I have similar memory and it worked well enough space wise though I had a better advantage due to having 2 sticks (8gb total) for 4 slots, so I could give it some "breathing" room.

link to the 212 Evo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&isNodeId=1&Description=Hyper+212+evo&x=0&y=0

Yeah, the 24 pin one is connected. I have 2 sticks too - 2 *8gb for 16Gb total. If the 212 Evo will fit (case is a Fractal R4) then I might well go for that, I've seen good reviews.

so with my new rig the other day, been having a few problems with Sleep. None of this started since i changed my video card from hd 7970 to gtx 680, but since then, the first time it wouldnt resume and i had to do a power off and when it rebooted some files were corrupt during chkdsk. then the second time i tried to sleep the mouse didnt power on after reseume and i had to unplug it and plug it back in. motherboard is an ASUS P9X79 Pro. Any ideas?

Also, when its asleep only way to wake it is by pushing power button, mouse / keyboard dont work. (This problem has always been like that). ideally would like to figure this out too. Appreciate any suggestions

HoosTrax

Those are sweet cases. Now I'm torn between the military green/white Corsair Vengeance and the CM Stryker. Both look superb in my mind. But which one would you go for?

Edit: oops typo
I like the black/white Stormtrooper look. The military green one looks nice on its own, and it goes well with the utilitarian style of the Vengeance, but it's going to be hard to match up with peripherals and such.

snack

I like the black/white Stormtrooper look. The military green one looks nice on its own, and it goes well with the utilitarian style of the Vengeance, but it's going to be hard to match up with peripherals and such.
True. I haven't seen many military themes peripherals being sold.

Is the Stryker worth the extra 35 dollars? I found white Vengeance cases for 115 and Stryker ones for 150.

MedIC86

So im looking to pickup a 7970, but i know there is this ghz edition which is supposdly faster, but i have a hard time identifying which are ghz edits. and which arent. I guess if they have a base clock of 1ghz+ they are the ghz edition (compared to the 925 standard) ? or are there other things i have to look at?

mkenyon

Banned
There's the Scout 2 White, which is no doubt the best value for that kind of aesthetic.

cm_storm_scout_2_advanced_white.jpg

The Stryker is an amazing case as well. The C70 is pretty good, but a bit overpriced. It used to be in the OP, but was booted by the Arc Midi R2.

snack

There's the Scout 2 White, which is no doubt the best value for that kind of aesthetic.

cm_storm_scout_2_advanced_white.jpg

The Stryker is an amazing case as well. The C70 is pretty good, but a bit overpriced. It used to be in the OP, but was booted by the Arc Midi R2.

I'll check out this case then. Thanks!

Okay guys, so I tweaked my build a bit. I added a 9750 w/ Boost, went one step down on my CPU, and made some other changes to bring the price down a few hundred.

Heres what I have(literally, just about everything except the keyboard):

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina 5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 550W ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1
Monitor: Asus VG23AH 23.0" Monitor
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW Wired Laser Mouse

Is there anything I should downgrade because it sticks out too much, or something I should upgrade because its too underpowered for the rest of the build?

Sorral

The price of an actual bracket, but will get more use out of that double-sided tape than the bracket it seems. Way more.

I use that mounting tape for tons of stuff, and SSDs are definitely one of the major things. I'm not kidding when I say the sheet metal my two SSDs were mounted to here actually bent in half the first time I tried to remove the SSDs without heating up the mounting tape:

Oh, damn. Similar to the one above? The guy in in the videos is a big modder and it seems that double sided tape would have saved me some trouble.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Who wants to wake me up when someone becomes smart enough to make an ATX case that ditches the 5.25 inch bays?

Looking at the 600t posted above, it would be cool if it were possible to remove the 5.25" bays and mount another front fan there.
If I remember correctly you could do this with the CM Stacker 830 back in the day since the hdd cages had 120mm fan mounts on the front.

Hi guys, could anyone tell me what the current best 3.5" HDD drives are? I have some SSDs already, looking for some more extra storage, but not horrifically slow loud drives if possible.. 2tb or 3tb would be great, I have some Samsung 1tb F3s but I understand they've gone to shit now after the Seagate saga? I'm guessing that Seagate are not worth looking at?

Shambles

Hi guys, could anyone tell me what the current best 3.5" HDD drives are? I have some SSDs already, looking for some more extra storage, but not horrifically slow loud drives if possible.. 2tb or 3tb would be great, I have some Samsung 1tb F3s but I understand they've gone to shit now after the Seagate saga? I'm guessing that Seagate are not worth looking at?

You basically have no choice any more anyways. WD or Seagate. Same shit, different pile.

Hawk269

Well if you have some of the Samsungs F3's still, why not use those? They are still great drives and very reliable. I have a WD 1tb Blue and 1 Samsung F3 in my rig for that extra storage I wanted.

Erebus

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but I'm looking for a decent laptop at an affordable price (under 600€).

I will mostly use it for web surfing, HD movie playback (so I'd rather it didn't stutter while streaming HD videos on Youtube or other sites) and maybe some lightweight gaming, thus a dedicated GPU would be nice.

So far I've found the ASUS K55VJ-SX018H 15.6'' (comes with an i3-3110M, 4GB DDR3 and an nVIDIA GT635M 2GB) priced at 500€ on a local e-store. Anyone heard of it? Any other suggestions?

Jafku

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but I'm looking for a decent laptop at an affordable price (under 600€).

I will mostly use it for web surfing, HD movie playback (so I'd rather it didn't stutter while streaming HD videos on Youtube or other sites) and maybe some lightweight gaming, thus a dedicated GPU would be nice.

So far I've found the ASUS K55VJ-SX018H 15.6'' (comes with an i3-3110M, 4GB DDR3 and an nVIDIA GT635M 2GB) priced at 500€ on a local e-store. Anyone heard of it? Any other suggestions?

I think you would get better help in the gaming laptop thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504567

Well if you have some of the Samsungs F3's still, why not use those? They are still great drives and very reliable. I have a WD 1tb Blue and 1 Samsung F3 in my rig for that extra storage I wanted.

I'm getting fibre optical internet next week, I've got over 500gb free of storage but I think I'll need some more!

Who wants to wake me up when someone becomes smart enough to make an ATX case that ditches the 5.25 inch bays?

Just 2 is fine and 3 is pushing it. Don't like any more then that though. Reason 2 or 3 can be okay is because of the other uses they have to some people. Fan controller readouts and what not.

Of course it isn't like cases aren't full of tons of extra space that most people using them will never utilize anyway. I just hate when the 5.25 bays get in the way of other things. Like for instance on the 550d case, if they had even 3 instead of 4 then they would have been able to fit an extra 2 hard drive spaces, one on each of the inserts, as well as room for 2 140mm fans in the front instead of 120.

Looking at the 600t posted above, it would be cool if it were possible to remove the 5.25" bays and mount another front fan there.
If I remember correctly you could do this with the CM Stacker 830 back in the day since the hdd cages had 120mm fan mounts on the front.

There are some things out there that fit across several 5.25 bays to add extra fan space. Normally end up looking off and not fitting the style of the case.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
By the way for when I do decide to get more fans, which way is each supposed to blow in a Carbide 400R? Top fans and side fans only most likely, not everywhere.

And what do you call the... pin things... that you use to attach the fans with? I actually have a couple fans but they used screws in my last case, this one doesn't have room for screws, just big holes.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh, side is an intake? Wouldn't that blow dust everywhere in the PC, since it doesn't have filters...

Or is inlet meaning to let the air from inside go out and I got it wrong :d

Anton668

Oh, side is an intake? Wouldn't that blow dust everywhere in the PC, since it doesn't have filters...

Or is inlet meaning to let the air from inside go out and I got it wrong :d

aftermarket filters.... or the fabric softner sheet trick...

though nothing is set in stone. if your temps are better with an exhust than run that. the article linked does say something about.... lemme look....
nvm, the comment was about only having one fan.

pretty much check out that article and really, what ever give you the best temps depending on what fans / how many / and in what case, works best for you

Anton668

What's that?

And why don't they put filters in every fan position anyway, it doesn't seem like the filter it has on the bottom would be expensive...

take a softner sheet and cut it to size of fan then stick it in front of fan so air goes through it first. granted it does restrict airflow so there is that...

tsef

I have the possibility to buy 4 samsung 840pro 128go at the same price as a 512go is it interesting to mount a raid0 of 4 ssd or should I just buy a 512go.

I saw that trim is now available for raid but as I am not sure, I wanted advice from someone with more knowledge on the matter.

Zaph

I have the possibility to buy 4 samsung 840pro 128go at the same price as a 512go is it interesting to mount a raid0 of 4 ssd or should I just buy a 512go.

I saw that trim is now available for raid but as I am not sure, I wanted advice from someone with more knowledge on the matter.
Get the 512.

You'll hardly ever experience the full performance of a 840pro if it's just a gaming rig, so raiding them would be pointless. Also, that's 4 points of failure vs. 1.

tsef

Get the 512.

You'll hardly ever experience the full performance of a 840pro if it's just a gaming rig, so raiding them would be pointless. Also, that's 4 points of failure vs. 1.

Thank you I thought as much :)

Also, higher capacity SSD's have better read/writes. I'd get the 512 Pro.

I did not know that, thank you

If anyone is interrested you can use the following code on http://www.ldlc.com : SSD840 to get 25€ off the initial price, only works with the 128go (I'm not sure if they ship outside of France)

tsef

I have that same SSD, you'll love it. It's insanely fast.

I can't imagine how fast it is, I already have an intel postville and a raid0 of raptor both were fast when I bought them but when I saw the bench of the 840pro I was amazed by those high numbers.

Can't wait for my new rig :)

knitoe

Asus AC66U is the updated and better router. I have no experience with that modem. The specs seem fine. You will probably have to call / register the modem with Cox for it to work. Any reason why you don't keep asking them for a replacement until your issue is resolve?

tsef

I need a recommendation on a good cable modem. The piece of shit cox provided for me keeps shitting the bed.

EDIT: Good idea to combine these two?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007IMPMW4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QB1RPY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have no experience with cable modem so I can't really be of any help, but the router looks nice if you are using the 5ghz band. It has everything you could ask for, the interface seems easy enough to understand.

If you don't need the 5ghz band and/or just need to share your internet connection you could find a router for a lot less.

Be careful than your internet provider don't use proprietary modem

oatmeal

Banned
Just ordered my first big computer since 2007 (When I bought my Quad-Core Mac Pro...and have since upgraded it significantly).

This will be a Hackintosh, btw.

Items Ordered Price 1 of: NZXT Source 210 -Inches ELITE-Inches Midtower Case with 3.0 USB - White
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $43.13
1 of: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $315.99
2 of: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $154.62
1 of: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI Dual LAN Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD5H
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $174.98
1 of: Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD2
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $188.47
1 of: 2.5" To 3.5" Ssd/sata Convert
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $14.99
1 of: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10)
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $224.99
1 of: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2680-KR
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $477.78
1 of: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n,WEP, WPA/WPA2
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $39.99
1 of: Cooler Master GX - 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply (RS750-ACAAD3-US)
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $94.99

Grand Total: $1,928.44

knitoe

Just ordered my first big computer since 2007 (When I bought my Quad-Core Mac Pro...and have since upgraded it significantly).

This will be a Hackintosh, btw.

Items Ordered Price 1 of: NZXT Source 210 -Inches ELITE-Inches Midtower Case with 3.0 USB - White
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $43.13
1 of: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $315.99
2 of: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $154.62
1 of: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI Dual LAN Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD5H
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $174.98
1 of: Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD2
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $188.47
1 of: 2.5" To 3.5" Ssd/sata Convert
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $14.99
1 of: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10)
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $224.99
1 of: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2680-KR
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $477.78
1 of: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n,WEP, WPA/WPA2
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $39.99
1 of: Cooler Master GX - 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply (RS750-ACAAD3-US)
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $94.99

Grand Total: $1,928.44
$1,729.93 was the total I calculated. Are you counting taxes? Why do you need a SSD/Sata convert? You don't need 32GB of RAM unless it's need for workload. For gaming, even 16GB, is a luxury.

Get Coolmaster 212 Evo fan/heatsink to OC. 1GHz OC is a huge performance gain. Save money on the RAM, and think about getting a 4GB GTX 680 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom