• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGamer

fucking juniors
What's the deal with the overclocking guides listed in the OP? It says for all motherboards but both links specifically say for Gigabyte mobos.

daebo

Okay, I have a dumb question, figured I throw it in here. I've tried google, but all my different ways of answering the question has helped.

I was installing a new video card. It was installing the updates/drivers. The pc crashed during the drivers update.

Next thing I know is.. when I turn it on... it's like it doesn't read the card and it just keeps the screen black. Not even turning on all the way it seems.

I put in a different video card and it does the same thing - which makes me think (as a non pc fixing guy) that maybe the pcie on the mobo is messed up? I plug the monitor into the onboard gpu, and take the new video card out and it'll load up and work fine.

Do i need to reset the mobo or did something bad happen to the pciexpress?

Thanks for any help.

brentech

Okay, I have a dumb question, figured I throw it in here. I've tried google, but all my different ways of answering the question has helped.

I was installing a new video card. It was installing the updates/drivers. The pc crashed during the drivers update.

Next thing I know is.. when I turn it on... it's like it doesn't read the card and it just keeps the screen black. Not even turning on all the way it seems.

I put in a different video card and it does the same thing - which makes me think (as a non pc fixing guy) that maybe the pcie on the mobo is messed up? I plug the monitor into the onboard gpu, and take the new video card out and it'll load up and work fine.

Do i need to reset the mobo or did something bad happen to the pciexpress?

Thanks for any help.
Have you removed video card and used the onboard to get you able to do a full uninstall of video card drivers?

Once that's done try putting GPU back in and installing proper drivers again.

Pandemic

Updated pictures again since I switched cases to the R4:

8646028770_58db0dfa40_z.jpg

Real solid. I don't see any reason why I would switch cases in the future if the fit works. Really love it. I wasn't a fan of my old case's blue fan in the front. The R4 manages to remain clean and minimalistic even with the side window version.

Looks sick, that's the case I ordered with my PC build.

demented

As I'm replacing 90% of my PC I have a question about fans. Atm mine are like that, 2 on top, 1 at side blowing towards heatsink (and it's own cooler) and I have one on bottom blowing up, but I turned off bottom and top ones due to annoying noise they started making and bottom one was blocked by psu cables and now I'm wondering if I should fix them and turn them all on?
I'm just worried about having all of them blowing from all sides and creating whirlpools or something and not actually getting the hot air out or maybe I' wrong about it? (cooler master cosmos 1000 case). I'm really looking forward to some quiet because my graphics card fan has been driving me insane with the noise it's making, like a dying whale or something.

brentech

Top and rear fans are almost always exhaust fans, while almost any other location is an intake fan. Not to say some don't use the side as an exhaust, but I think if it's used, it should generally be an intake fan.

That said, some fans are best not used in horizontal applications. You want good quality fans if they are installed on the top or bottom due to that. They'll end up dying faster than if used in vertical setups and can cause annoying noises that you mention. Have a read:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/779-computer-case-fan-bearing-differences

I should mention the fans you see mounted in the top of my case aren't recommended for that application as they are sleeve bearing fans. But I figure they'll likely last long enough till when I'm ready to switch to water cooling and replace with radiator or just better fans.

Forkball

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but my friend is trying to sell a laptop with these specs:

ef0c8pQ.jpg

Anyone have an idea? It seems high end for a gaming laptop, but I have no idea what the top of the line stuff is in gaming laptops right now.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So, all, what say you?

Corsair 900D for $340ish
Caselabs SM5 for $375ish
Lian Li X-500 for $225ish

?

LCGeek

formerly sane
What's the deal with the overclocking guides listed in the OP? It says for all motherboards but both links specifically say for Gigabyte mobos.

Cause all you need is a basic guide on what multiplers and and safe voltages.

If you need specific tweaks type in the manufacturer and the processor which should get you to something more specific.

Pandemic

With this new PC of mine, is it bad to put it under my desk where my feet go? It's got room to breath but I was wondering is their a lot of difference compared to putting it on top of the desk? Dust wise, etc.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any fan recommendations for the Enhanced under $1k Hanzaro build from the op? I got the BitFenix case w/o the window. Recommendations appreciated.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186033
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006
or
Spectre Pro

A ton of other fans are also good, but cost slightly more (and some like Corsair aren't even PWM)
As I'm replacing 90% of my PC I have a question about fans. Atm mine are like that, 2 on top, 1 at side blowing towards heatsink (and it's own cooler) and I have one on bottom blowing up, but I turned off bottom and top ones due to annoying noise they started making and bottom one was blocked by psu cables and now I'm wondering if I should fix them and turn them all on?
I'm just worried about having all of them blowing from all sides and creating whirlpools or something and not actually getting the hot air out or maybe I' wrong about it? (cooler master cosmos 1000 case). I'm really looking forward to some quiet because my graphics card fan has been driving me insane with the noise it's making, like a dying whale or something.
See the NEWS link about fans in the OP (Vortez)

Buy some Fluid Bearing fans! (See above)
With this new PC of mine, is it bad to put it under my desk where my feet go? It's got room to breath but I was wondering is their a lot of difference compared to putting it on top of the desk? Dust wise, etc.
I've always kept it below since my desk is small and my living area is dust central anyway.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Granted your carpet is good and it has air it's better. As for dust that's dependent on what is causing it.

Pandemic

I've always kept it below since my desk is small and my living area is dust central anyway.

Oh okay, cool. Thanks for the speedy response. How often do you need to clean it for dust?

Granted your carpet is good and it has air it's better. As for dust that's dependent on what is causing it.

It'll be on wooden floorboards so it will get a good flow of air. But yeah, I'm just worried about the dust.

Thanks.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Oh okay, cool. Thanks for the speedy response. How often do you need to clean it for dust?

It'll be on wooden floorboards so it will get a good flow of air. But yeah, I'm just worried about the dust.

Thanks.

Get filters as the other person mentioned if it's that bad or you smoke. My problem isn't dust it's dander and hair from my pets especially this cat during the humid part of the year which is now till basically november.

Pandemic

Need? Never :p

It doesn't get that bad with the filters on the Arc Midi. Probably like once per 2 months if that. I'm pretty lazy about it.

Hmm, interesting. I'll monitor my PC when I get it. I didn't clean out my current PC for probably 2 years, there was a shit load of dust, but it's still kicking up until now, making it around 4 years which is pretty good.

Get filters as the other person mentioned if it's that bad or you smoke. My problem isn't dust it's dander and hair from my pets especially this cat during the humid part of the year which is now till basically november.

Nah, I don't smoke. I'm just very eager to make sure this $2500 computer doesn't fuck up because of dust. I'll see how I go.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hmm, interesting. I'll monitor my PC when I get it. I didn't clean out my current PC for probably 2 years, there was a shit load of dust, but it's still kicking up until now, making it around 4 years which is pretty good.
With how much of modern cases is mesh you'll notice the build up pretty easily and want to clean it off.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Nah, I don't smoke. I'm just very eager to make sure this $2500 computer doesn't fuck up because of dust. I'll see how I go.

Don't fret too much just check it every few months and when you see build up lock it down.

Smidget

What's more future proof: 670 with 2GB or a 660 TI with 3GB? Wanting to convert to Nvidia from ATI.

I game at 2560x1440 @ 27" (more M/KB only games) and also 1080p on my projector (more 360 controller type games).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186033
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006
or
Spectre Pro

A ton of other fans are also good, but cost slightly more (and some like Corsair aren't even PWM)

See the NEWS link about fans in the OP (Vortez)

Buy some Fluid Bearing fans! (See above)

Can vouch for the Cougars. Have 3 and love them.

DTKT

GHG

What's more future proof: 670 with 2GB or a 660 TI with 3GB? Wanting to convert to Nvidia from ATI.

I game at 2560x1440 @ 27" (more M/KB only games) and also 1080p on my projector (more 360 controller type games).

Get the 670 4gb version if you are only ever going to run a single gpu.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any feedback on this?

I can't recommend the Cougars if you are using PWM. At anything but full speed, they are a very noticeable "whine" coming from the motor.

Here is the kind of noise it produces: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41US0XZg-GI&t=1m21s
LE seems alright from specs at least.
I like my Arc Midi, grab some extra fans though. Supports 140mm.

One of the reviewers states 1/4 had that problem, dunno how common it is.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
Owners of the Coolmaster HAF922 or NZXT Phantom 410 cases. Is there any sort of SSD adapter included? If not what did you use to mount your ssd?

Crucial M4 I plan on buying does not appear to come with one.

Owners of the Coolmaster HAF922 or NZXT Phantom 410 cases. Is there any sort of SSD adapter included? If not what did you use to mount your ssd?

Crucial M4 I plan on buying does not appear to come with one.

Haf 922 here. No adapter is included. Just use those velcro patches and mount it where you see fit. Mine is mounted in the bottom bay.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
Last question for a while.

Plan on making a Raid1 array with either 1TB or 2TB drives for movies and music and then of course playing them off that drive.

My options seem to boil down to:
WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2 TB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T3GRN2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236404

Only difference I can find is the WD Greens are slower RPM (internet seems to think its 5900) and blues only go up to 1TB. Thoughts on one drive over another?

Sorral

I find WD's more reliable than Seagate's from my own experience. Definitely go for Blue over Green.
I don't know if you need the 2TB, but that Barracuda doesn't look bad from the reviews it is getting.

And this:
On storage get 1 or 2 WD10EZEX's imo. Black is too loud and costly. Seagate is probably fine, but I dislike them atm.

nicjac

I am planning on getting back to PC Gaming for the first time in 10+ years. I am completely out of the loop but this thread is proving very useful!

I am wondering if anyone in the UK could help me figure out whether I am better off buying separate parts or get a pre-built system? I have been looking at systems from YOYOTECH (http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/) as they are based not too far away from where I live in London but I have absolutely no idea how good their prices are.

I would like a build that lasts for a while but I am definitely not looking at getting high end components. I just want to experience the latest releases in good conditions. This computer would also be used for my research work (image processing). Ideally, it would have at least 4 cores and 16GB of ram (this last point shouldn't be an issue seeing how dirt cheap ram is these days...).

Any help would be appreciated! I am not against putting it together myself if it means I can get better performance for my money.

Ieu

I am wondering if anyone in the UK could help me figure out whether I am better off buying separate parts or get a pre-built system?

Typically you can expect better value for money if you self build but if you need this for work purposes it might be worth paying that bit more for a professionally made system so that you don't have to worry so much about reliability.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ can help you decide if the hardware you're looking at is worth the asking price at Yoyo but always remember to factor in the cost of Windows.

nicjac

Typically you can expect better value for money if you self build but if you need this for work purposes it might be worth paying that bit more for a professionally made system so that you don't have to worry so much about reliability.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ can help you decide if the hardware you're looking at is worth the asking price at Yoyo but always remember to factor in the cost of Windows.

That sounds good, thanks for the link. I was wondering how good their £1k build is. If it is a good baseline, I might use it as a reference for comparison.

itf56

I'm nearly done with my build, but have two questions, one of which I'm hoping is relatively straightforward, if stupid.

I got a Be Quiet! PSU, and I'm connecting the smaller of the two power connectors on my mainboard, a P877-V Pro. It looks the connector is broken down into two connectors on the power supply (IE, let's say it's 8 pin, it's a 4 and a 4) - does that sound right? The cable I'm using is labelled as 4+4-pin ATX12V/EPS12V (550mm) on the box and it fits, but I've not powered on yet (still waiting on the CPU and GPU).

My second question is that I'm not going to be overclocking, so is the i7 3770's bundled heat sink and fan adequate? If not, I realised too late that my RAM (Corsair, 16Gb) has large fins - is there anything half decent that will fit? I was thinking maybe the Noctua NH-L12 but don't want to spend that much.

Anton668

That sounds good, thanks for the link. I was wondering how good their £1k build is. If it is a good baseline, I might use it as a reference for comparison.

just throwing parts together based off those specs I came up with around £865

thing I would want to find out, is what power supply and mother board are they using?

Go to a hardware store. Lots cheaper there

oh I will for sure. But right now either way its only in the pipe dream stage... :(

MisterNoisy

damn it! did you really need to post that link?!?!?!?

now I gotta go see how much a sheet of 1" acrylic is gonna cost me....

grumble.... grumble......

1", as in 1" thick? What are you using it for? When I've put windows in, I've pretty much only used 1/8" thick stuff - 1" material would be as thick as a case fan frame (~25mm).

Ieu

It certainly does look good based on the surface specs but without knowing the components they are using it's a bit too hard to judge exactly how good it is. Get in contact with them and start asking questions; the more cagey they are the more you should be wary of the hardware and their service.

mkenyon

Banned
*****************PSA**************

NCIX (CA AND US) HAVE THE ARC MIDI R2 FOR $69.99. BUY IT NAO

Ya, I did that too. But now thinking of getting one of these. I don't want to rely on that tape. D:
I use that mounting tape for tons of stuff, and SSDs are definitely one of the major things. I'm not kidding when I say the sheet metal my two SSDs were mounted to here actually bent in half the first time I tried to remove the SSDs without heating up the mounting tape:

the whole door is acrylic. needs to be thick to accommodate the latches.

I have a 600T
ibpT8AoPDpFE9x.jpg
You can buy those straight from MNPCTech.

I'm nearly done with my build, but have two questions, one of which I'm hoping is relatively straightforward, if stupid.

I got a Be Quiet! PSU, and I'm connecting the smaller of the two power connectors on my mainboard, a P877-V Pro. It looks the connector is broken down into two connectors on the power supply (IE, let's say it's 8 pin, it's a 4 and a 4) - does that sound right? The cable I'm using is labelled as 4+4-pin ATX12V/EPS12V (550mm) on the box and it fits, but I've not powered on yet (still waiting on the CPU and GPU).

My second question is that I'm not going to be overclocking, so is the i7 3770's bundled heat sink and fan adequate? If not, I realised too late that my RAM (Corsair, 16Gb) has large fins - is there anything half decent that will fit? I was thinking maybe the Noctua NH-L12 but don't want to spend that much.

Question 1:

Yea its alright, PSUs will either have:

a full 8pin connector
2 - 4pin connectors
both

so just use the one you have available (ensure the big 24 pin one is connected also :p)

Question 2:

Since you wont be OCing the default fan should be alright (since hey it came with the processor) but it you want another heat sink the best choice mentioned many times in the thread is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. It does a really good job for air and is cheaper than that Noctua. (around 33 bucks or so).

I have similar memory and it worked well enough space wise though I had a better advantage due to having 2 sticks (8gb total) for 4 slots, so I could give it some "breathing" room.

link to the 212 Evo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&isNodeId=1&Description=Hyper+212+evo&x=0&y=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom