• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna ask again since i got no reaponse the first time.

Is it really a big deal to have 2 monitors which are not identical? I want to go 120hz, but seems pointless to do it with 2 monitors since only 1 will be used for gaming

Demon Ice

Banned

Is it really a big deal to have 2 monitors which are not identical? I want to go 120hz, but seems pointless to do it with 2 monitors since only 1 will be used for gaming

I've seen two non identical monitors being used at once, BUT they were both 60 Hz, so idk if one being 120 Hz and the other being 60 Hz will be an issue or not. I'm sure mkenyon can shed some light on that.

I've seen two non identical monitors being used at once, BUT they were both 60 Hz, so idk if one being 120 Hz and the other being 60 Hz will be an issue or not. I'm sure mkenyon can shed some light on that.

Yea thats the main thing i worry about. in a game the other monitor will be off, but normal desktop usage ill be using both and constantly switching back and forth between the two. worried it might cause some sort of subliminal eye discomfort

oatmeal

Banned
$1,729.93 was the total I calculated. Are you counting taxes? Why do you need a SSD/Sata convert? You don't need 32GB of RAM unless it's need for workload. For gaming, even 16GB, is a luxury.

Get Coolmaster 212 Evo fan/heatsink to OC. 1GHz OC is a huge performance gain. Save money on the RAM, and think about getting a 4GB GTX 680 instead.
It's for video editing (and a lot of AE). I need the ram. Not gaming. Don't need 4GB of GPU ram, premiere/AE won't use the full 2.

Did you add two WD drives?

I don't need an enclosure for the drive? Oh, I assumed I did to make it work in the 3.5 trays.

(Edit)
No taxes on amazon, 40 of it was overnight shipping.

knitoe

It's for video editing (and a lot of AE). I need the ram. Not gaming. Don't need 4GB of GPU ram, premiere/AE won't use the full 2.

Did you add two WD drives?

I don't need an enclosure for the drive? Oh, I assumed I did to make it work in the 3.5 trays.

(Edit)
No taxes on amazon, 40 of it was overnight shipping.

Yeah. Difference was another HDD and overnight shipping. You can stick / tape the SDD anywhere. SDD have no moving parts. You should still get the 212 EVO cooler. CPU temps would be much lower, and if you want to overclock, 1GHz increase can greatly help in video editing.

oatmeal

Banned
Yeah. Difference was another HDD and overnight shipping. You can stick / tape the SDD anywhere. SDD have no moving parts. You should still get the 212 EVO cooler. CPU temps would be much lower, and if you want to overclock, 1GHz increase can greatly help in video editing.
I already ordered.

Is the 212 cooler a replacement or additional?

Edit:

And how quiet is it? I will totes order it if it is just an extra piece :)

I'd also prefer to not tape it. Having it in the bay will be nice like that. Meh.

oatmeal

Banned
Addition. Well worth the ~$30.
Before I order it, is it easy to install? Can you briefly describe what it will do? Sorry I'm a total noob. Is it the heatsink for the CPU?
Edit
I'm dumb. I just scrolled down on it. Heh. I will order thanks for the tip.

ORDERED! I shall overclock the CPU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just ordered my first big computer since 2007 (When I bought my Quad-Core Mac Pro...and have since upgraded it significantly).

This will be a Hackintosh, btw.

Items Ordered Price 1 of: NZXT Source 210 -Inches ELITE-Inches Midtower Case with 3.0 USB - White
While I have one and think it's nice, some of the other cases at $60-$100 are very nice. Did you not like anything in the OP or keeping costs down where you could?

Nope, I have a 120 and a 60.
Yea thats the main thing i worry about. in a game the other monitor will be off, but normal desktop usage ill be using both and constantly switching back and forth between the two. worried it might cause some sort of subliminal eye discomfort
You don't use Fullscreen Windowed on everything?

No discomfort at all, it's LCD no CRT. Static image, just different refresh rates. One will look smoother, that's all.
Before I order it, is it easy to install? Can you briefly describe what it will do? Sorry I'm a total noob. Is it the heatsink for the CPU?
Edit
I'm dumb. I just scrolled down on it. Heh. I will order thanks for the tip.

ORDERED! I shall overclock the CPU.
Oatmeal... oatmeal... why does that sound familiar?

It's kind of a PIA to install compared to other heatsinks, but the only major problem is getting that darn clip in. Also iirc you'll want to have the spring pins in the middle indent for Socket 1155. There are multiple install videos on youtube though, you'll be fine. It's worth it.

Yeah, the 24 pin one is connected. I have 2 sticks too - 2 *8gb for 16Gb total. If the 212 Evo will fit (case is a Fractal R4) then I might well go for that, I've seen good reviews.

That case is good to go (there was some recent pics in this thread of a completed build with both of them IIRC)

You don't use Fullscreen Windowed on everything?

idk, for some reason I've always felt like things were faster / smoother in exclusive mode. And also not all games offer full screen windowed. And still others, when you play in full screen windowed mode, don't lock the cursor to the game window, which makes it basically unplayable.

I think I've isolated the sound in my case to the PSU. It's a AX1200, and it's just whirling away nonstop. Would putting the fan pointing in the case help that at all?

knitoe

I think I've isolated the sound in my case to the PSU. It's a AX1200, and it's just whirling away nonstop. Would putting the fan pointing in the case help that at all?

From online reviews, the PSU fan is suppose to be quiet. Since yours is making so much noise, time for a RMA.

mkenyon

Banned
Who wants to wake me up when someone becomes smart enough to make an ATX case that ditches the 5.25 inch bays?
Here's a list of cases that move in that direction off the top of my head:

Lian Li A55, A05, V700, V750, A75, A76. (one or two)

Cubitek Magicube AIO (one)

Fractal Arc Midi R2, Arc Mini, Define R4, Define XL R2 (all have two)

In Win H Frame (one)

CaseLabs, they can be 3.5, 5.25", radiator mounts, or fan mounts.

LittleDevl, same as above.
Is it super high pitched? If so, probably coil whine. When you get a PSU with more than 750W, it becomes a fairly common event.

oatmeal

Banned
While I have one and think it's nice, some of the other cases at $60-$100 are very nice. Did you not like anything in the OP or keeping costs down where you could?

Oatmeal... oatmeal... why does that sound familiar?

It's kind of a PIA to install compared to other heatsinks, but the only major problem is getting that darn clip in. Also iirc you'll want to have the spring pins in the middle indent for Socket 1155. There are multiple install videos on youtube though, you'll be fine. It's worth it.
Reviews were good, I didn't actually look at the OP in this thread.

As for oatmeal, you're probably thinking of the comic dude. Not me.

Hatten

My only interest in haswell is for a new Linux box since Intel is the only one providing good graphic drivers.

Nvidia's are decent, but AMD's are rubbish.

knitoe

Is it super high pitched? If so, probably coil whine. When you get a PSU with more than 750W, it becomes a fairly common event.

Can't imagine it's "common" thing. The pro reviews didn't mention it other then it's very quiet, even at full load. No way, this PSU would have been recommended if that was the case. I also quickly went through 100 lastest comments on Newegg and saw only 1 person mentioning coil whine. If I spent $300 this PSU, I would definitely RMA it.

And, my 1000W PSU is silent.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Any really good deals on monitors right now? Looking to buy a 23"+ monitor. Would really like to not spend more than $200.

red731

Hi there. Just a quick question regarding intake and outtake of the air in Desire R4.

I have fans like it is shown -the GREEN arrows on three voltage switch, BLACK is out of course and RED cage is removed.

2.5h gameplay of Tomb Raider maxed 7970 Ghz to max 66°C and all four cores on 3770K to max 51°C -

zpajXpP.jpg

Fans are in correct positions I assume or now I think that I should invert the fan on top to take in the air - three IN and out back OUT, right?

Also temperatures, are they okay? Tomb Raider is using the gfx on 100% - settings more than ultimate@1080+tressFX.

edit: hold up, there are two positions for top fans. I have that one closer to front of the case. I might push it back.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Hi there. Just a quick question regarding intake and outtake of the air in Desire R4.

I have fans like it is shown -the GREEN arrows on three voltage switch, BLACK is out of course and RED cage is removed.

2.5h gameplay of Tomb Raider maxed 7970 Ghz to max 66°C and all four cores on 3770K to max 51°C -

zpajXpP.jpg

Fans are in correct positions I assume or now I think that I should invert the fan on top to take in the air - three IN and out back OUT, right?

Also temperatures, are they okay? Tomb Raider is using the gfx on 100% - settings more than ultimate@1080+tressFX.

edit: hold up, there are two positions for top fans. I have that one closer to front of the case. I might push it back.

I'm not familiar with that case, but the general way of doing things is to have a top-mounted fan over the CPU area at the rear of the case. At the front I would imagine it'd suck the cool air out before it had a chance to reach the CPU, and to a lesser extent the GPU.

If you can't mount it at the rear try removing it as it might be making things worse.

Pandemic

G'day, so I sent in my list a few days ago, and they told me today that they couldn't get the.. CPU Cooler
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Black 2TB WD2002FAEX
CPU Cooler: Enermax Liquid CPU Cooler ELC240
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX
Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Black 24x DVDRW OEM
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid M850 850W

Which was $129, is anyone able to recommend one that is equivalent to $129 or a little more? From this website would be easiest, heres the list of coolers available.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_160_45

red731

I'm not familiar with that case, but the general way of doing things is to have a top-mounted fan over the CPU area at the rear of the case. At the front I would imagine it'd suck the cool air out before it had a chance to reach the CPU, and to a lesser extent the GPU.

If you can't mount it at the rear try removing it as it might be making things worse.

Okay. I can put the top fan more to rear, to have it over CPU and to take the air out.

edit: I can and I will. Thanks Andy

AndyBNV

Nvidia
G'day, so I sent in my list a few days ago, and they told me today that they couldn't get the.. CPU Cooler

Which was $129, is anyone able to recommend one that is equivalent to $129 or a little more? From this website would be easiest, heres the list of coolers available.

Most of the folks here swear by the Corsairs, but I'm not sure which model in particular. mkenyon would know.

cripterion

zpajXpP.jpg

I have the same case and wondering how I should orient my fans for maximal airflow. I currently have 2 intake in front, my hyper evo 212 on CPU and then one out the rear. I ordered a second asus 670 to go SLI coupled with 2 120 and a 140 fans from Corsair. I still have 2 spots left on the top, one on the side, and one at the bottom.

Where should I put these new fans? Was thinking of putting the 140 on the side to blow on the SLI cards while having the two fans left taking out hot air, one on the top rear and the other one at the bottom.

Any suggestions?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I have the same case and wondering how I should orient my fans for maximal airflow. I currently have 2 intake in front, my hyper evo 212 on CPU and then one out the rear. I ordered a second asus 670 to go SLI coupled with 2 120 and a 140 fans from Corsair. I still have 2 spots left on the top, one on the side, and one at the bottom.

Where should I put these new fans? Was thinking of putting the 140 on the side to blow on the SLI cards while having the two fans left taking out hot air, one on the top rear and the other one at the bottom.

Any suggestions?

Overkill in my opinion :) 2 front, 1 top above the CPU, 1 rear, 140mm blowing onto the 670s should be more than enough unless you live somewhere extremely hot.

Over the years I've had 4 GTX 580s, 3 GTX 680s and now 2 GTX Titans and have only ever had 1 front blowing over the HDDs, 1 rear behind the CPU, and 1 160mm over the GPUs, which is only required in the Summer when it's 30C+.

cripterion

Overkill in my opinion :) 2 front, 1 top above the CPU, 1 rear, 140mm blowing onto the 670s should be more than enough unless you live somewhere extremely hot.

Over the years I've had 4 GTX 580s, 3 GTX 680s and now 2 GTX Titans and have only ever had 1 front blowing over the HDDs, 1 rear behind the CPU, and 1 160mm over the GPUs, which is only required in the Summer when it's 30C+.

Ok thanks! I'm receiving the rest of my config tomorrow so will try this out and monitor temps.

Mad Max

You could get the corsair h100i instead. However you should keep in mind that in the fractal r4 a 240mm rad will only fit in the top position if your mobo and ram don't get in the way, so it's hard to judge if this will actually work. Also I'm not sure you can put a 240mm rad in the front without modding either.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

H80/H80i or H100i (Read up on compatability with boards if possible. IIRC top mounted rads on the R4 can be slightly picky or something. Ask mkenyon.

zpajXpP.jpg

Check the Fan / Cooling links in the News section of the OP.

Rubius

So, I just started Tomb Raider, and it play well on high (50fps with some drops to 30ish outdoor), but if I try to use the Tressfx it drop to 15 fps. So, I was wondering, how much would a pc who can 60fps with tressfx cost? 1200-1400? Would you need a double graphic card for that?

General info:

GAF, help me out here. I currently have a fairly old HTPC in my living room that I'm looking to upgrade to a gaming-capable PC with HTPC functions.
I have a high level of PC parts understanding and I've been building my own PCs for 15+ years, I just need to run this by you since I haven't built a new PC since ~2010.

So my current HTPC is this:

Case: Silverstone Lascala LC17 case - an older model though, without USB 3.0 but AFAIK, the same dimensions and internal configuration
MBO: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4, rev 1.1.
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2180, 2GHz
MEM: 1GB DDR2 Corsair RAM
GPU: Gigabyte GV-RX26T256H, Radeon 2600XT
BR: Pioneer Blu-Ray BDROM/DVDRW
PSU: Fortron 350W
HDD: Samsung 80GB HDD
SW: Windows 7 Professional x86

TV: 1080p Panasonic TX-P50V10E, 50" plasma, 1920x1080 native resolution through HDMI
Sound: Pioneer VSX-D814 5.0 through coax connection

and it serves just one purpose: streaming 1080p content from my media server through a 1Gbps home LAN alongside other media: music, pictures, etc.

I use XBMC and it serves my current needs perfectly.

Future use:

End result of this project would be a gaming-capable HTPC.

Budget? I don't know honestly. That's what I'll discuss here with you. You have to take into consideration that I live in Croatia, so Newegg, Amazon.com, etc. don't mean anything to me since prices are completely different here.

The main use of this new machine would be the same level of HTPC functionality (1080p streaming over my home network) but with gaming functionality added.

What this new rig must absolutely do: provide me with a comfortable 1080p/60fps gaming for the next couple of years on High/Ultra settings.

I'll be playing Tomb Raider, Kingdoms of Amalur, Skyrim, Dark Souls 2, The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, etc. ...so anything. :)

I'll be using the X360 wired controller almost exclusively combined with Steam Big Picture mode and Origin.

I'll be playing other games that require K/B such as Starcraft 2, X-Com on my main PC in the work room.

So what I need is (my suggestions are in italic):

MBO: Asus Z77-based MBO
CPU: Core i5
cooler: stock cooler good enough? or should I look into Corsair Hxx solutions?
MEM: 8 or 16 GB DDR3?
GPU: this is my main point of concern. 660/670 or 78xx/79xx?
PSU: 500-600W?

Keep in mind: 1080p is set in stone for me. I don't plan to switch to 4K TV anytime soon and if I ever go there, that means I have the money to buy a top notch i7 Haswell beast. :))))))))

Looking to reuse any parts?

I plan to reuse the following parts from the current configuration: Case, BR and HDD. TV and sound ofc. :)

When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two?

In a month or two time.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

No overclocking whatsoever.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm considering upgrading my graphics card to a GTX 690. Can someone please tell me if it will work in my current set-up? My specs are below, but I have a few concerns I'd like alleviated. First is my motherboard. It's a PCI-e 2.0 and the card is a 3.0. A friend of mine said this may be an issue, so I did a google search and found - - - - - this article, - - - - - which said I should be fine, but I figured I'd ask around as well just to be sure since I can post my specs here. He also said, that I might have some trouble with it fitting in my case properly. Unless this GPU is gigantic, I don't think I'll have a problem. Last is my power supply. It's a 750W (min specs for a 690 says 650W) so I assume it should be okay, but I'd like to get others opinion on this before I go any further.

I'm using a 1080p monitor (also below) and my main reason for upgrading is that I'm currently using a 560 Ti and I have to switch to a 720p monitor to get a decent framerate with high settings for my games now. What I'd really like to do is be able to play a game like Crysis 3 with max settings in 1080p w/60 fps without upgrading anything else by my GPU. I really don't want to have to switch my power supply out and I'd prefer to stick with a single graphics card set-up as well. I guess the only other question would be should I wait for the next line of GPUs to come out before upgrading? I would consider holding off if Nvidia is likely to release another dual GPU card in the not too distant future that's PCI-e 2.0 compatible. That may just be wishful thinking though. Anyway, here are my specs:

Samsung 1080p monitor
Intel Core i7 - 2600K CPU
ASUS P8P67 Mobo
Corsair Vengeance DD3 1600 (8 GB)
750W Power Supply
Cooler Master Elite 430 Case
560 Ti GPU

demented

Can anyone help me out with this, I'm selling my used parts and I usually sell them to my friend, and he offered 225 euros (almost 300$) for all this, I want to know if that's too low and should I try selling it myself for more. One thing to note, fan on graphics card probably gotta be replaced. I don't mind losing a bit but if it's 50-100e/$ more..

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel.

ASUS EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80569Q9450

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler I5 775 AMD compatible

LevelOne WNC-0500 32bit PCI MIMO Wireless Card

MedIC86

Can anyone help me out with this, I'm selling my used parts and I usually sell them to my friend, and he offered 225 euros (almost 300$) for all this, I want to know if that's too low and should I try selling it myself for more. One thing to note, fan on graphics card probably gotta be replaced. I don't mind losing a bit but if it's 50-100e/$ more..

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel.

ASUS EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80569Q9450

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler I5 775 AMD compatible

LevelOne WNC-0500 32bit PCI MIMO Wireless Card

Im not really sure but i would be glad if someone offered me 300$ for that. PC stuff devaluates very quickly.

brentech

Quick question, is it true that the.. Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 is faster than the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680?

And another thing, I'm new to computers but why is this...
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21806

Cheaper than this..
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20140

Yet the AMD one can go up to 4.2GHz, yet the Intel one can only go up to 3.9GHz, or am I reading somethign wrong.
Because

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=551

Intel's tech is better in almost every single tested category on that bench. (Just make sure to read whether higher or lower score is better for each test)

mkenyon

Banned
Quick question, is it true that the.. Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 is faster than the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680?

And another thing, I'm new to computers but why is this...
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21806

Cheaper than this..
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20140

Yet the AMD one can go up to 4.2GHz, yet the Intel one can only go up to 3.9GHz, or am I reading somethign wrong.
Because the per-thread performance with AMD procs is really shitty. In gaming, it's pretty much in line with the first gen Core series of processors, which are now 4 years old.
Can't imagine it's "common" thing. The pro reviews didn't mention it other then it's very quiet, even at full load. No way, this PSU would have been recommended if that was the case. I also quickly went through 100 lastest comments on Newegg and saw only 1 person mentioning coil whine. If I spent $300 this PSU, I would definitely RMA it.

And, my 1000W PSU is silent.
Definitely RMA worthy, but it is fairly common. Out of ~20 PSUs I've gone through for builds of friends or my own with big PSUs, I'd say a good 5+ of them have had coil whine. Lots of discussion on it over at Overclock.net.
You could get the corsair h100i instead. However you should keep in mind that in the fractal r4 a 240mm rad will only fit in the top position if your mobo and ram don't get in the way, so it's hard to judge if this will actually work. Also I'm not sure you can put a 240mm rad in the front without modding either.
Not true, you can just screw it into the mesh (rather than defined fan holes) to offset it.

Irobot82

Yeah I saw someone that did this, but I've read that it's not always possible, because some high end motherboards have huge VRM cooling these days.

120MM radiators are easy to do in the front. You just need to buy some customer screws. It was easy peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom