• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Trying to keep things near $300 right now.

For sub $300 there is this on a tight budget

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TnJ8

CPU: Intel Pentium G2020 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Biostar H77MU3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.59 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.15 @ NCIX US)
Total: $268.70

Money leftover for more RAM if you want it bumped up to 8GB, I was just aiming low for this first build. Since you've got a dedicated GPU already I'd rule out the APU and go for an Ivy Bridge Pentium which seems to fall nicely within budget (if you've a Microcenter nearby it's even cheaper again). With that H77 board you'd have scope to upgrade to anything from an i3 3220 to a i7 3770 (not the K model as H77 cannot overclock). Intel will as you already know be dropping 1155 but there performance difference between it and Ivy Bridge is only about 10% clock for clock, and has Intel is so popular there will be plenty of CPUs from this generation to upgrade to.

Addnan

Building an ITX computer for my uncle with the prodigy, he seems to have fallen in love with the case once he saw it. Anyway the budget is pretty low. £500 before OS. Could possibly extend a little, but only if its really worth it.

I don't know much about ITX builds, but here is what I have so far.

Case: Bitfenix prodigy
CPU: i3 3220
Motherboard: GA-H77N-WIFI
GPU: GTX 650
HDD: 500GB Caviar Blue
RAM: 4GB Corsair
PSU: 430W BeQuiet Are these any good?

With case, plus shipping it seems to be a bit below £500, not much around £470. Anything to add or change?

He doesn't want to do too much gaming, just the football manager and the odd indie platformer, which are not exactly graphics intense.

kharma45

Building an ITX computer for my uncle with the prodigy, he seems to have fallen in love with the case once he saw it. Anyway the budget is pretty low. £500 before OS. Could possibly extend a little, but only if its really worth it.

I don't know much about ITX builds, but here is what I have so far.

Case: Bitfenix prodigy
CPU: i3 3220
Motherboard: GA-H77N-WIFI
GPU: GTX 650
HDD: 500GB Caviar Blue
RAM: 4GB Corsair
PSU: 430W BeQuiet Are these any good?

With case, plus shipping it seems to be a bit below £500, not much around £470. Anything to add or change?

He doesn't want to do too much gaming, just the football manager and the odd indie platformer, which are not exactly graphics intense.

7770 is a better bet than the 650. Bar that I'd change nothing really unless you wanted to upgrade the 3220 to an i5 to make full use of the budget.

kharma45

Would this one do? http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...8nm-gpu-1000mhz-640-cores-dport-dl-dvi-hdmi-p I actually have never built with AMD before, so don't really know much about them.

and the i5 3350p is £136 at ebuyer Think thats worth the £30 over the 3220?

Yeah it'd be fine. For that sort of price range the 7770 is the better buy at that sub £100 price point

AVG%20Perf%20LOW.png

As for the CPU for indie games he'd not benefit but for Football Manager it should process the game faster. Thinking again you'd probably be better upgrading the GPU and keeping the i3 as it is.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Haswell/Broadwell are both set to use DDR3
Skylake/Skymont are both set to use DDR4

this is still the case right?

Does this matter for most of GAF? I mean sure if you are using really heavy duty PCIe devices that uses as much bandwidth as the chipset allows, you could benefit from more. But do typical devices like GPUs get bottlenecked by this bandwidth?

I've sort of lost interest in legacy CPU performance now that we're capped in the upper 4 GHz range. Software needs to use AVX.

Hente

For sub $300 there is this on a tight budget

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TnJ8

Money leftover for more RAM if you want it bumped up to 8GB, I was just aiming low for this first build. Since you've got a dedicated GPU already I'd rule out the APU and go for an Ivy Bridge Pentium which seems to fall nicely within budget (if you've a Microcenter nearby it's even cheaper again). With that H77 board you'd have scope to upgrade to anything from an i3 3220 to a i7 3770 (not the K model as H77 cannot overclock). Intel will as you already know be dropping 1155 but there performance difference between it and Ivy Bridge is only about 10% clock for clock, and has Intel is so popular there will be plenty of CPUs from this generation to upgrade to.

Neat, didn't expect a response like this, thank you. I actually never thought of Microcenter and as it turns out, there is one about 20 mins from my house. Is the H77 board still worth it at $65?

Hawk269

You want to do surround over optical or coax digital? Then you need a motherboard that can do Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive (or a sound card that can do it). Most on board audio can only output surround for movies (prerecorded) over optical or coax digital, but they do have 7.1 analog outs for everything else.

Another option if your receiver supports HDMI...see if you can hook it up that way from your video card. I haven't tried only sending audio and not video over HDMI to a receiver myself, though.

Wait....

Let me think about this. MY GPU has DVI, DVI D, HDMI and Display Port. I am using Display Port to hook up to my 2560x1440 monitor, but are you saying that I could possibly hook up the HDMI cable to the GPU as well and just have it send audio?

Before I got the monitor, I use to run HDMI from the GPU into my receiver to get 7.1 and Video on my HDTV. So is it possible to have the video output to Display Port and send the audio to the HDMI? If so, that would be the best because I still have the HDMI cable connected to my receiver.

Will this actually work? Never tried connecting 2 different devices to my GPU.

kharma45

Neat, didn't expect a response like this, thank you. I actually never thought of Microcenter and as it turns out, there is one about 20 mins from my house. Is the H77 board still worth it at $65?

Seems to get reasonable reviews on Amazon and Newegg where it is $80.

Your other choices at that sort of price range are B75 boards like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RQ0HSA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 or even a cheapy H61 board as well if it has Ivy Bridge support.

If you buy the Pentium from Microcenter there is room in your budget to go for 8GB RAM should you so wish to, or go for the Source 210 Elite if you want a front USB 3.

Has anyone picked up the nMEDIAPC 7000B and how is this case? I've been looking for a Gaming/HTPC like case to place in my AV Stand which is open all around for air flow.

From the videos that I have seen, it looks like a decent case and not too compact and has some decent room to work with.

411261_415992_01_product_thumbnail.jpg

67525_4.jpg

Hente

Seems to get reasonable reviews on Amazon and Newegg where it is $80.

Your other choices at that sort of price range are B75 boards like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RQ0HSA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 or even a cheapy H61 board as well if it has Ivy Bridge support.

If you buy the Pentium from Microcenter there is room in your budget to go for 8GB RAM should you so wish to, or go for the Source 210 Elite if you want a front USB 3.

I think I'm going to stick to the H77 for all those additional slots for only $5 more than the B75. Just have a couple of more questions and I think I'll be done.
Since there are no front panel USB 3.0 ports on the normal Source 210, would I still be able to hook them up to the mobo's 3.0 header's while they run as 2.0?

Also I read in some reviews that the mobo cannot go online with generic LAN drivers, so would I be able to get onto a different computer, transfer the data on the driver disk to a flash drive then bring it over to the new build? Alternatively, could I just download the mobo drivers from their site and transfer them to the new build?

I really appreciate the help, thank you so much.

snack

Hi y'all.

Friend is looking for a CPU Fans & Heatsink for his x4 955. It's making a lot of buzzing noises and he wants it replaced. Which heatsink/fan would you recommend him? ty

bro1

Banned
Just got a xonar dgx sound card. Before I install it, should I first uninstall the drivers for my inboard audio and disable it in the bios?

Dave_6

I just bought BF3 off of Origin but forgot that I have Origin installed on my SSD. I want to download the game onto my HD; is that possible?

brentech

I just bought BF3 off of Origin but forgot that I have Origin installed on my SSD. I want to download the game onto my HD; is that possible?

Pretty sure you can change the settings in Origin for where games install to. Just search under the general Origin settings/preferences

Guise...the new PSU is so quiet. I wanna cry. Just need to upgrade my graphics card to something with an aftermarket cooler. Probably just wait for 780.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Friend is looking for a CPU Fans & Heatsink for his x4 955. It's making a lot of buzzing noises and he wants it replaced. Which heatsink/fan would you recommend him? ty

If he wants to replace it cheaply, a CM Hyper 212+ would be effective

Just got a xonar dgx sound card. Before I install it, should I first uninstall the drivers for my inboard audio and disable it in the bios?

Exactly

1. Uninstall the mobo audio drivers
2. Disable onboard audio in bios
3. Plug in sound card and install drivers

kennah

Sweet. Just spent the last four hours getting a hackintosh working. Not bad specs for cheap/free purchases

I7-2600k
Gigabyte h61n-usb3-b3
8gig ddr3
Gtx 470
And 2x 36gig 10,000 rpm drives

Stuffed into a sg05

Literally stuffed. One is resting on top of the h40 and the other is jammed next to the radiator.

Everything is working except usb3. Which should be native... More tinkering needed when i don't have to get up in 5 hours

kharma45

I think I'm going to stick to the H77 for all those additional slots for only $5 more than the B75. Just have a couple of more questions and I think I'll be done.
Since there are no front panel USB 3.0 ports on the normal Source 210, would I still be able to hook them up to the mobo's 3.0 header's while they run as 2.0?

Also I read in some reviews that the mobo cannot go online with generic LAN drivers, so would I be able to get onto a different computer, transfer the data on the driver disk to a flash drive then bring it over to the new build? Alternatively, could I just download the mobo drivers from their site and transfer them to the new build?

I really appreciate the help, thank you so much.

I'm not 100% sure, hopefully someone else knows. I would presume they'd work but I'm not definite on that.

And yeah you'd be able to do that using a USB stick.

Hi y'all.

Hyper 212 Evo.

Guise...the new PSU is so quiet. I wanna cry. Just need to upgrade my graphics card to something with an aftermarket cooler. Probably just wait for 780.

What PSU did you get?

Decided to increase my budget and go all out, my old SSD was Intel and not that great, so now getting an SSD and Windows installed from Ava Direct.

getting 16GB RAM...because it wasn't that much more than 8GB.

What do you guys think? Ava Direct, so yea, its 25% more expensive than putting it together myself. But working 70 hours a week already, I would rather not spend time working on putting this together.

DESKTOP PC Core™ i5 / i7 Z77 2-way SLI® / CrossFireX™ Performance Custom Computer System $1521.56 $1521.56
COOLER MASTER CM 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 Black Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, Steel/Plastic
SEASONIC M12II-650 Bronze 650W Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 80 PLUS® Bronze, 24-pin ATX12V 2x EPS12V, 4x 8/6-pin PCIe, Retail
ASUS P8Z77-V LK, LGA1155, Intel® Z77, DDR3-2400 (O.C.) 32GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /1+1*, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /4, 6Gb/s /2, DP + HDMI + DVI + VGA, USB 3.0 /6, HDA, GbLAN, ATX, Retail
INTEL Core™ i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.8GHz TB, HD Graphics 4000, LGA1155, 6MB L3 Cache, DDR3-1600, 22nm, 77W, EM64T EIST VT-x XD, Retail
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler, Socket 2011/1155/1156/1366/775/FM1/AM3/AM2, Copper/Aluminum
CORSAIR 16GB (4 x 4GB) Vengeance™ LP Blue PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
GIGABYTE GV-N66TOC-2GD, GeForce® GTX 660 Ti 1032MHz, 2GB GDDR5 6008MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, DP + HDMI + 2 x DVI, Retail
SAMSUNG 128GB 840 Pro Series SSD, MLC Samsung MDX, 530/390 MB/s, 2.5-Inch, 7mm, SATA 6 Gb/s, Retail
WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB WD Caviar® Blue™ (WD10EZEX), SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache, OEM
RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, OEM
MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM w/ Media
WARRANTY Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)

Is there a "PC Maintenance" thread? I think my hard drive is dying (slower info retrieval, slightly louder sounds) but I need a good way to find out for sure. A lot of "HDD Health" software just checks whether the hard drive is completely dead or completely alive, which is completely useless IMO.

I just noticed a clicking when my computer is powered on. I thought that it could be a wire or something up against a fan. When I pulled it apart and listened, it wasn't from any of my case fans, but from the power supply. It still sounds like something is clicking on the fan, but with it being in the power supply, it would be really hard to remove without unhooking all my cables and having to re-run them.

My question to PC GAF, do you guys think it is just something rubbing onto the PSU fan or is my PSU going out?

News Bot

Banned
Considering adding SSD's to my budget. Is a 64GB OCZ Vertex 4 acceptable? Considering getting two, one for OS and one for games. I don't need much storage for either of those since I usually only have one or two games installed at any given time.

GHG

So, I'm looking at building a new PC when the Haswell CPUs are released. Made a few decisions about the computer already and I'm very excited by the case (albeit I'm pretty sure I will find it difficult to home it but still...

http://www.ebuyer.com/454380-cooler...ransforms-to-testbench-atx-case-rc-902xb-kkn1

MiGsPeQ.jpg

It just looks beautiful.

Are there any indicators on the price of the new CPUs?

I have this case, fucking love it. Keeps everything amazingly cool. You may want to swap out the 2 front intake fans for 2 silent fan though if you are sensitive to fan noise. I'd also suggest 1 exhaust fan (rear or top, your choice) as well to keep the airflow going.

LegoDad

Is there a "PC Maintenance" thread? I think my hard drive is dying (slower info retrieval, slightly louder sounds) but I need a good way to find out for sure. A lot of "HDD Health" software just checks whether the hard drive is completely dead or completely alive, which is completely useless IMO.

Have you used chkdsk that's in windows?

What is a good program to gauge temps in the case? I bought a decent sized HTPC case but I am still concerned by the layout of this case and that there are only 2 fans on the case. I might have to either modify this case to get another fan or two on it or take it back to get the beast HAF XB. I also have my 560 2GB in here and the way this case is setup its not too far from the power supply.

This is what it looks like and the open space in the upper right hand corner is a tray for a DVD and to add my second HDD. I added the second HDD, so I can't add a third fan to the right side.

htpcj.jpg

Decided to increase my budget and go all out, my old SSD was Intel and not that great, so now getting an SSD and Windows installed from Ava Direct.

getting 16GB RAM...because it wasn't that much more than 8GB.

What do you guys think? Ava Direct, so yea, its 25% more expensive than putting it together myself. But working 70 hours a week already, I would rather not spend time working on putting this together.

DESKTOP PC Core™ i5 / i7 Z77 2-way SLI® / CrossFireX™ Performance Custom Computer System $1521.56 $1521.56
COOLER MASTER CM 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 Black Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, Steel/Plastic
SEASONIC M12II-650 Bronze 650W Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 80 PLUS® Bronze, 24-pin ATX12V 2x EPS12V, 4x 8/6-pin PCIe, Retail
ASUS P8Z77-V LK, LGA1155, Intel® Z77, DDR3-2400 (O.C.) 32GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /1+1*, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /4, 6Gb/s /2, DP + HDMI + DVI + VGA, USB 3.0 /6, HDA, GbLAN, ATX, Retail
INTEL Core™ i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.8GHz TB, HD Graphics 4000, LGA1155, 6MB L3 Cache, DDR3-1600, 22nm, 77W, EM64T EIST VT-x XD, Retail
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler, Socket 2011/1155/1156/1366/775/FM1/AM3/AM2, Copper/Aluminum
CORSAIR 16GB (4 x 4GB) Vengeance™ LP Blue PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
GIGABYTE GV-N66TOC-2GD, GeForce® GTX 660 Ti 1032MHz, 2GB GDDR5 6008MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, DP + HDMI + 2 x DVI, Retail
SAMSUNG 128GB 840 Pro Series SSD, MLC Samsung MDX, 530/390 MB/s, 2.5-Inch, 7mm, SATA 6 Gb/s, Retail
WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB WD Caviar® Blue™ (WD10EZEX), SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache, OEM
RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, OEM
MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM w/ Media
WARRANTY Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom