• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kAmui-

I'm hopefully getting my new pc next week and I'm now thinking which windows should I install. I've heard a lot of bad things about windows 8 but I'm still kind of interested in trying it out. I'd like to hear your opinions about which version should I go with and some of the good and the bad about win8.

I'm hopefully getting my new pc next week and I'm now thinking which windows should I install. I've heard a lot of bad things about windows 8 but I'm still kind of interested in trying it out. I'd like to hear your opinions about which version should I go with and some of the good and the bad about win8.

I upgraded to Windows 8 when it came out, after testing it in beta. It's not perfect, they should have given an option to boot to the desktop right away, but I don't miss the start menu. If it's a program that I access a lot, than I have it pinned to my taskbar. If I need to find an obscure program that I don't use as often, then I use file explorer(aka Windows Explorer) or the search function on the start screen. Other than that, it's faster in almost every way in regards to boot times and file transfers. Speaking as someone who has used Vista and ME, Windows 8 is very stable. You'll have no worries in that regard.

If you choose to get it, take the time to learn how to use Windows 8 and keep your mind open. Learn keyboard shortcuts like Windows Key + D to get to the desktop. Worst case scenario, there is a ton of free and cheap commercial programs to make Windows more old fashioned like a lot of people are used to.

neonille

I'm gonna be needing a new motherboard, unfortunately.

From what i understand amd is gonna focus om am3+ a while now.

First they have steamroller coming out next year, then there's excavator in 2015. So if your not to much of a "i want the fastest cpu possible" but want to stick to one socket, then go with the 8350 for now.

mkenyon

Banned
Socket doesn't imply future compatibility with AMD. Chipset is also important. I've been burned by this a few times in the past.

plainr_

Amazon doesn't care if its opened for a return ;)

Careful. Returning these expensive items might raise a red flag on your account though. Now imagine returning two. There is a high chance you'll be banned for life. They seem to be trigger happy on the ban hammer.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Careful. Returning these expensive items might raise a red flag on your account though. Now imagine returning two. There is a high chance you'll be banned for life. They seem to be trigger happy on the ban hammer.

No worries, been testing them all day such a huge difference over the 660ti I had in the pcs before. I love them.

Hawk269

Mwhahahahahahaha

titan.jpg

Welcome to the club! :)

Now plug them in and give them a good workout. Do some testing on each card individually first however, then put them together and enjoy the brute force of the Titan's in SLI!

Let me know if you have any OC questions.

brentech

I had a clicking noise from one of my 6 new corsair case fans. Unplugging it proved it to be the culprit.
Made a Corsair RMA and they said I wouldn't even need to ship anything back to them, they're just going to send me a new fan.
So if that works out as stated, much props to them for the simplicity.

kharma45

Socket doesn't imply future compatibility with AMD. Chipset is also important. I've been burned by this a few times in the past.

Yeah I would expect it to be OK for Steamroller but I would worry past that, so it'd be no better than going Intel as they'll be using 1150 for two gens too.

Hawk269

Need some help.

I received today the Asus Sound card that I ordered, but it does not fit into the PCI slots on my motherboard. The first part where the circuit board shows the gold contacts that plug into the slot, the first part is longer than what is on my mother board. I am not sure if I am explaining it well though. The slot, like a memory slot has the part where you can only plug it in one way. On the PCI slot on my mobo, it is smaller than what is on the sound card.

Here is a pic and a link to the sound card I bought. I have a ASUS Rampage Extreme IV motherboard.

29-132-007-S01.jpg

That first 1/4 part is longer than what is on my motherboard, not allowing it to plug in. My cannot get a PCI Express one, the ones with the small connector because my GPU's are using the cover plate. So I need to use one of the express slots.

Sorry if I sound like a complete noob, I am sick and very tired and tried to do this while not feeling well...so if I sound like a complete noob at this, you know why! lol

Hawk269

PCI doesn't fit into PCI-E yo.
Get a Xondar DGX or something. A x1 card can fit into a x16 slot.

Maybe I did not explain it well. PCI Express is the small interface on the motherboard correct? It is about 1 1/2 in length. Where a PCI slot is about 4-4.5" in length. I tried hooking up that sound card in the a PCI Slot, but looking at the sound card, that first part that is closes to the inputs is a bit longer that the interface on the mother board. FUCK! I know I am explaining this way wrong, but I am just too feverish to type correctly.

All I am saying is the length of the part that goes into the PCI slot seems to be about the right length, but when trying to insert it it does not fit properly.

garath

I had a clicking noise from one of my 6 new corsair case fans. Unplugging it proved it to be the culprit.
Made a Corsair RMA and they said I wouldn't even need to ship anything back to them, they're just going to send me a new fan.
So if that works out as stated, much props to them for the simplicity.

Corsair has some pretty amazing customer service. They're just pretty slow. Don't be afraid to ping them again if they don't follow through. They will eventually.

brentech

Corsair has some pretty amazing customer service. They're just pretty slow. Don't be afraid to ping them again if they don't follow through. They will eventually.

They just contacted me about the RMA today, and just a few hours ago I received a tracking number for the package.

Mandoric

Banned
Maybe I did not explain it well. PCI Express is the small interface on the motherboard correct? It is about 1 1/2 in length. Where a PCI slot is about 4-4.5" in length. I tried hooking up that sound card in the a PCI Slot, but looking at the sound card, that first part that is closes to the inputs is a bit longer that the interface on the mother board. FUCK! I know I am explaining this way wrong, but I am just too feverish to type correctly.

All I am saying is the length of the part that goes into the PCI slot seems to be about the right length, but when trying to insert it it does not fit properly.

Edit: nvm, yeah, that board's bottom slot is PCI-E.

Hawk269

www.amazon.com/Xonar-DGX-PCI-E-GX2-5-Engine/dp/B007TMZ1BK/

Will fit into any of your open slots. Large or small.

ASUS Xonar line or Creative both have PCI-E options.

Haz-

I really appreciate you helping me and I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but are you saying the one you linked can plug into one of slots that generally a GPU uses?

I am looking for a good quality 7.1 capable audio card that can fit into my one open/slot (last bottom one) of my ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Haz-

I really appreciate you helping me and I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but are you saying the one you linked can plug into one of slots that generally a GPU uses?
Yes

I am looking for a good quality 7.1 capable audio card that can fit into my one open/slot (last bottom one) of my ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard.
I dunno about 7.1, I suggest you ask Head-Fi.org and post your setup and what you are looking for.

Anything under 7.1 I've heard good things about the Creative Z series.

Hawk269

I dunno about 7.1, I suggest you ask Head-Fi.org and post your setup and what you are looking for.

Anything under 7.1 I've heard good things about the Creative Z series.

Haz the one you linked says it is a PCI E card, so can any PCI E Card fit into a slot that is generally reserved for a GPU? If that is the case, there are a ton of them that are 7.1. It just seems odd that the one you linked would plug into a GPU interface slot.

thanks again.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Haz the one you linked says it is a PCI E card, so can any PCI E Card fit into a slot that is generally reserved for a GPU? If that is the case, there are a ton of them that are 7.1. It just seems odd that the one you linked would plug into a GPU interface slot.

thanks again.
It's a x1 card, but x1 cards can fit into x16 slots. The extra pin outs section is unblocked unlike PCI to allow x1, x4, or x8 into x16 slots. The extra pins can go unused as they are for extra data transfer.

A4gvYd9.jpg

Hawk269

It's a x1 card, but x1 cards can fit into x16 slots. The extra pin outs section is unblocked unlike PCI to allow x1, x4, or x8 into x16 slots. The extra pins can go unused as they are for extra data transfer.

A4gvYd9.jpg

So what is the one on the sound card I provided then? It looks like it would work in x16 slot but that first part is too big and it does not fit. I am so f'n confused right now. I guess tons of Nyquil is having it's effect.

Demon Ice

Banned
So what is the one on the sound card I provided then? It looks like it would work in x16 slot but that first part is too big and it does not fit. I am so f'n confused right now. I guess tons of Nyquil is having it's effect.

Your sound card is standard PCI, which is not compatible with any type of PCI-express card.

The PCI express 1x card will fit in any PCI express slot, even the 16x ones that graphics cards normally use.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah I would expect it to be OK for Steamroller but I would worry past that, so it'd be no better than going Intel as they'll be using 1150 for two gens too.
But if AMD is already two generations behind, then Steamroller will only get you to Sandy Bridge performance. MAYBE.

So with Ivy, you're still ahead of the game. :p

scogoth

Your sound card is standard PCI, which is not compatible with any type of PCI-express card.

The PCI express 1x card will fit in any PCI express slot, even the 16x ones that graphics cards normally use.

What they are saying is PCI is not the same as PCI-e (express). PCI-e comes in different slot lengths (1x 4x 8x and 16x) but any PCI-e card will fit in any PCI-e slot that is the same length or bigger. You bought a PCI card unfortunately. You need a PCI-e card

Hawk269

So would this one (linked below) fit into one of my open PCI Express Slots that are the long ones normally used for GPU's?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

If so, then that is what I will order. I just want to make sure this is going to work.

Thanks!

Demon Ice

Banned
So would this one (linked below) fit into one of my open PCI Express Slots that are the long ones normally used for GPU's?

If so, then that is what I will order. I just want to make sure this is going to work.

Thanks!

Yes, that will work. There will be extra unused space since a 16x slot is a lot longer than a 1x slot, but that won't be an issue, the card will work fine.

mkenyon

Banned

Thanks!
Yes.

PCI and PCI-E are not the same and are never compatible . PCI-E x1 will work in any PCI-E slot, long or short.. PCI-E x16 (video cards) will not work in PCI-E x1 slots.

Hawk269

Yes.

PCI and PCI-E are not the same and are never compatible . PCI-E x1 will work in any PCI-E slot, long or short.. PCI-E x16 (video cards) will not work in PCI-E x1 slots.

Thanks everyone.

A few more questions....

Before I decide to get the correct Sound Card, does anyone know why the on-boar sound does not work beyond 2 stereo output? My mother board claims to be able to do 7.1 audio and I tried hooking up a Toslink Digital Audio Cable from the motherboard to my home receiver and all I get is stereo. I tried every setting I could find, latest drivers etc, but found no way to get 7.1 audio out of the motherboard, heck I could not even get 5.1.

So, before I decide to get the correct sound card, is there anyone that knows how to properly get 7.1 or even 5.1 out of a motherboards on board sound system?

Thanks

Pavaloo

Hey everyone, first time building a PC so I need some help.

Is it foolish of me to want to build this thing to dual boot OS-X and Win 7? I'm building this thing to game, but I'll mostly use it heavily for design work (photoshop, udk, maya, premiere pro, etc.). Aside from that, I want to boot to OS-X as an option to run programs like Logic.

Here's what I've got so far:

1. Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K Unlocked Quad Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.5GHZ Ivy Bridge 8MB - $329.99
  2. Motherboard: ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 DVI HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard - $149.99
  3. RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL Ripjaws X 16GB 2X8GB Kits 240PIN DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory - $119.98
  4. Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 Windforce 900MHZ 3GB 5GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XDP PCI-E Video Card - $329.99
  5. HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - $89.99
  6. Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 650W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply PFC 80+ Bronze Modular 8PIN PCI-E 120mm Fan - $109.99
  7. Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120mm - $29.98
  8. Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT Dolby Digital DTS 105DB SNR W/ Headphone AMP - $33.48
  9. SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB 2.5IN SSD MLC 25nm SATA3 Solid State Disk Flash Drive OEM - $129.99
  10. Tower: Fractal Design Define R2 XL Black E-ATX Tower Silent Computer Case 4X5.25 10X3.5INT USB3.0 No PS - $149.99
  11. Keyboard: Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 English Black USB - $16.99
  12. Mouse: Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 Black for Business - $19.99

Total: $1,510.35

Any input would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Is it foolish of me to want to build this thing to dual boot OS-X and Win 7? I'm building this thing to game, but I'll mostly use it heavily for design work (photoshop, udk, maya, premiere pro, etc.). Aside from that, I want to boot to OS-X as an option to run programs like Logic.

1. Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K Unlocked Quad Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.5GHZ Ivy Bridge 8MB - $329.99
  2. Motherboard: ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 DVI HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard - $149.99
  3. RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL Ripjaws X 16GB 2X8GB Kits 240PIN DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory - $119.98
  4. Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 Windforce 900MHZ 3GB 5GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XDP PCI-E Video Card - $329.99
  5. HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - $89.99
  6. Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 650W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply PFC 80+ Bronze Modular 8PIN PCI-E 120mm Fan - $109.99
  7. Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120mm - $29.98
  8. Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT Dolby Digital DTS 105DB SNR W/ Headphone AMP - $33.48
  9. SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB 2.5IN SSD MLC 25nm SATA3 Solid State Disk Flash Drive OEM - $129.99
  10. Tower: Fractal Design Define R2 XL Black E-ATX Tower Silent Computer Case 4X5.25 10X3.5INT USB3.0 No PS - $149.99

Take a gander here and read up: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.8.3#Motherboards

Swap PSU to a G series from Seasonic or a Corsair HX or Seasonic X unit.
SSD Samsung 840 Pro
Sound Card make sure you have an open PCI (regular) slot, or buy a Xonar DGX
Get a 212 EVO for like $3 more
A FULL TOWER is very large, do you need the space? Measure it out? R4 and other cases are very nice.

Please buy a better keyboard at least. :(

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Take a gander here and read up: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.8.3#Motherboards

SSD Samsung 840 Pro
A FULL TOWER is very large, do you need the space? Measure it out? R4 and other cases are very nice.

And for the mouse I'd recommend a Logitech G500, for two reasons:

1) It's an extremely good mouse
2) The G500 is heavily discounted in a number of online stores so the stock can be cleared for the new and improved G500S

May have said this before, but GeForce Experience is snazzy.

Thank you, kind sir (or madam).

Pavaloo

SSD Samsung 840 Pro

Ah does this mean I can only use the motherboards, sound cards, network cards, etc. listed here? Or is it mostly just the motherboard? I plan to use the SSD to install the OSes on, do you think I would need more space than 128gb between Windows and Mac?

Okay so I swapped the PSU to: Corsair Professional Series HX650 650W ATX 12V 87A 24PIN ATX 80PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply
Got the Samsung 840 pro 128gb SSD
Sound card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channel PCI-E Sound Card 24BIT Dolby Digital 116DB SNR W/ Low Profile Bracket
and I got the 212 EVO.

Ahahaha, yeah you know I really just never used a high end keyboard or mouse so I don't know what to get. I'm really digging the Logitech K750 in the OP, I might get that.

You're right about the tower being huge! I wasn't even thinking about that, I just saw the quiet option lol. Do you have any recommendations on compact cases? I honestly didn't know they were a thing until I visited this thread. This looks cool, but I guess I have to measure what can fit inside of that. Also, thanks a lot for the input, it's a lot of help!
And for the mouse I'd recommend a Logitech G500, for two reasons:

1) It's an extremely good mouse
2) The G500 is heavily discounted in a number of online stores so the stock can be cleared for the new and improved G500S

Thanks for the recommendation! I look forward to trying a weighted mouse.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Thanks for the recommendation! I look forward to trying a weighted mouse.

Love the design (have done ever since I got a prototype G5 from Logitech at an event), but hate weights :)

Really though, think about what you play and what you need. For example, if you play MMOs you might want something with more buttons.

Argyle

Thanks everyone.

A few more questions....

Before I decide to get the correct Sound Card, does anyone know why the on-boar sound does not work beyond 2 stereo output? My mother board claims to be able to do 7.1 audio and I tried hooking up a Toslink Digital Audio Cable from the motherboard to my home receiver and all I get is stereo. I tried every setting I could find, latest drivers etc, but found no way to get 7.1 audio out of the motherboard, heck I could not even get 5.1.

So, before I decide to get the correct sound card, is there anyone that knows how to properly get 7.1 or even 5.1 out of a motherboards on board sound system?

Thanks

You want to do surround over optical or coax digital? Then you need a motherboard that can do Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive (or a sound card that can do it). Most on board audio can only output surround for movies (prerecorded) over optical or coax digital, but they do have 7.1 analog outs for everything else.

Another option if your receiver supports HDMI...see if you can hook it up that way from your video card. I haven't tried only sending audio and not video over HDMI to a receiver myself, though.

Hente

I'm nearly set on a new budget build, it's just that I'm having a hard time deciding on a CPU so I have a question. Should I go for an A4-5300 or a G1610? Kind of concerned with future upgrade options since Haswell is being released soon. With that, I feel like Intel will be dropping the 1155 socket while the FM2 socket is still being developed for, though I'm kind of uneducated in how this stuff goes. I don't really want to have to end up buying a new mobo along with a new CPU in the future.
I'll also be using an 8800 GT for the time being so that integrated GPU in the A4 isn't really relevant, probably going to be upgrading to a 7850 eventually as well.

I will be using this for Adobe PS, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Sony Vegas & emulating games/gaming, especially with the Oculus Rift whenever that is released.

Sarcasm

I am getting ready to reformat my PC...does the install upgrade than upgrade still work? Also..I need to backup %appdata% my documents for save games...what else?

Oh man. I tried my first game with Hydravision on, and it was amazing. It's a bit awkward with just two monitors, so I won't be doing it very much. Tempts me to grab a third monitor at some point, but I kinda feel that's gonna be overkill.

kennah

You are going to have a real bad time trying to install os x on that unless you are a very experienced builder/tinkerer. In addition to what Hazaro said check out tonymacx86.org and look at the Guides and Golden Builds.

In particular you kinda want to go Gigabyte motherboards and either 6xxx series amd or nvidia for video card

kharma45

I'm nearly set on a new budget build, it's just that I'm having a hard time deciding on a CPU so I have a question. Should I go for an A4-5300 or a G1610? Kind of concerned with future upgrade options since Haswell is being released soon. With that, I feel like Intel will be dropping the 1155 socket while the FM2 socket is still being developed for, though I'm kind of uneducated in how this stuff goes. I don't really want to have to end up buying a new mobo along with a new CPU in the future.
I'll also be using an 8800 GT for the time being so that integrated GPU in the A4 isn't really relevant, probably going to be upgrading to a 7850 eventually as well.

I will be using this for Adobe PS, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Sony Vegas & emulating games/gaming, especially with the Oculus Rift whenever that is released.

what is your overall budget?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Thanks everyone.

A few more questions....

Thanks

Do you also have multi-GPUs?

Lots of motherboards share buses with different connectors, and often the two PCIex16 lanes train differently depending on what's connected to the 3rd.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ah does this mean I can only use the motherboards, sound cards, network cards, etc. listed here? Or is it mostly just the motherboard? I plan to use the SSD to install the OSes on, do you think I would need more space than 128gb between Windows and Mac?

Okay so I swapped the PSU to: Corsair Professional Series HX650 650W ATX 12V 87A 24PIN ATX 80PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply
Got the Samsung 840 pro 128gb SSD
Sound card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channel PCI-E Sound Card 24BIT Dolby Digital 116DB SNR W/ Low Profile Bracket
and I got the 212 EVO.

Ahahaha, yeah you know I really just never used a high end keyboard or mouse so I don't know what to get. I'm really digging the Logitech K750 in the OP, I might get that.

You're right about the tower being huge! I wasn't even thinking about that, I just saw the quiet option lol. Do you have any recommendations on compact cases? I honestly didn't know they were a thing until I visited this thread. This looks cool, but I guess I have to measure what can fit inside of that. Also, thanks a lot for the input, it's a lot of help!
Compact is stuff under mid-towers. I like the Shinobi and many love their R4's for mid towers. Below that designs get funny so it's a large matter of personal preference.

As for buying I'd check this out (since I researched a bit more): http://www.tonymacx86.com/344-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-april-2013.html

Looks like Gigabyte + nVidia is the way to go, although a very recent OSX update added support for 78xx / 79xx cards. I'm not sure how well that is working.

If you get an mATX motherboard you can use something like the Arc Mini which I also like. Cases like the SG09B and FT03B are also options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom