• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlisle

Hello there PC Gaf. I'm planning out my first build and looking to do some gaming with it. Here's what I'm thinking so far.

CPU: i5 3570
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX ($263 total for combo with CPU @ Microcenter)
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 ($303 SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ($80 Newegg)
PSU: Rosewill Hive 550W 80 PLUS ($56 Amazon)
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($30 Outlet PC)
Total: $732

(Taking 8GB ram, HDD, and optical drive out of my current PC... not sure about the brands)

I can't seem to decide on that GPU, though. I didn't want to spend that much, so I kept swapping between a 660/Ti and a 7870/XT. Opinions seemed pretty split between 660 models and 7870 models, so I just gave up and threw the 7950 in there for now since it's clearly the best of the 3. But I'd still prefer to save a little bit and get one of the other two if it's reasonable.

Thanks!

Is it normal for one CPU core to be running much higher than the other three? I have an i5-3570k.

EDIT: I guess I should add that I'm playing Minecraft and Java is using most of my memory, etc. But why only one core?

d2tc9S4.png

Looks like this.

abunai

Hello there PC Gaf. I'm planning out my first build and looking to do some gaming with it. Here's what I'm thinking so far.

(Taking 8GB ram, HDD, and optical drive out of my current PC... not sure about the brands)

I can't seem to decide on that GPU, though. I didn't want to spend that much, so I kept swapping between a 660/Ti and a 7870/XT. Opinions seemed pretty split between 660 models and 7870 models, so I just gave up and threw the 7950 in there for now since it's clearly the best of the 3. But I'd still prefer to save a little bit and get one of the other two if it's reasonable.

Thanks!

I can't check american websites right now but last time (like, a week ago) I looked at some UK websites, the 7870 XT was a good 50£ cheaper than the 660Ti and gave almost the same performance. If you want to hit a note for price/performance then I'd go with that. If you want the best performance out of the cards you listed, it'd be the 7950. 7950 overclocks really well, if you're interested in that - would increase performance notably.

Is it normal for one CPU core to be running much higher than the other three? I have an i5-3570k.

EDIT: I guess I should add that I'm playing Minecraft and Java is using most of my memory, etc. But why only one core?

Yeah, it's normal. IIRC it's to do with temperature diode being inaccurate when the cpu senses the delta TJmax is large. If you're CPU is 40-50 degrees away from the maximum threshold there's no real reason to be 100% accurate in reporting temperatures. They get more accurate as the delta TJ max decreases.
Edit: just saw you updated your post and weren't talking about temperatures. Whoops!

kharma45

Ah that's great, might shell out the extra £50 for a 128GB in that case. Thanks! :)

SSD wise in the UK the Kingston HyperX 3K is probably the best value for money at £80. I've the V300 myself but the price of the HyperX 3K has plummeted of late for some reason. It's an excellent drive and the best at this end of the market. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007R67FNA/

Thanks!

I presume that 3570 is the K model?

Celcius

°Temp. member
What is a good program to gauge temps in the case?
htpcj.jpg

I would use Realtemp/Coretemp for the cpu and GPU-Z to look at the videocard's temp. If you're using an ssd, there should be software available from the manufacturer's website to show the status/temp of it as well (intel ssd toolbox, samsung ssd magician, etc). Improving the cable management should definitely help. Judging by the pic, are both of those fans at the top set to exhaust? Adding an intake fan to the bottom would help to blow some fresh/cool air over your components as well. Lastly, you can also see idle temps in your bios for the cpu/chipset.

I would use Realtemp/Coretemp for the cpu and GPU-Z to look at the temps of the various components. If you're using an ssd, it should also come with software to show the status/temp of it as well. Improving the cable management would definitely help. Judging by the pic, are both of those fans at the top set to exhaust? Adding an intake fan to the bottom would help to blow some fresh/cool air over your components as well. Lastly, you can also see idle temps in your bios for the cpu/chipset.

Celcius, this was half way through the build so the cables were all over the place so I can figure out where I was going to place them.

There are only 2 fans, on the right side of the box where the CPU sits. There are a tons of vents on the back and a vent on the left side. There are no intake fans or vents on the top of the case. I was thinking of maybe modding the top of the case to maybe get 2 intake fans on it. But I am not sure if I want to go through all that yet or not.

I'll take some pics here in a few and post some temps. I just don't want to fry anything in this case since its not heavily ventilated.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I bought a Dell Studio XPS 7100 a couple years ago, and I can't tell what speed of SATA ports it has. I want to upgrade to a SSD, but I was hoping to get a SATA III drive. Any thoughts?

Carlisle

I can't check american websites right now but last time (like, a week ago) I looked at some UK websites, the 7870 XT was a good 50£ cheaper than the 660Ti and gave almost the same performance. If you want to hit a note for price/performance then I'd go with that. If you want the best performance out of the cards you listed, it'd be the 7950. 7950 overclocks really well, if you're interested in that - would increase performance notably.
Thanks!

I presume that 3570 is the K model?
That would be such a troll combo to offer that mobo with a locked 3570 haha, Carlisle make sure it's the 3570K!!
Haha yes it is K! Thanks for making me double check though. Must've stopped the cursor highlighting a bit too soon when I did the copy/paste.

Thanks for the insight. Really tempted to stick with that 7950 now since it sounds like it'll really future-proof the rig for a bit longer than the others. Otherwise, I don't think the little money I'd save by getting the 660TI would be worth the performance hit, dropping from a 7950. 7870 seems like the better price/power ratio, as per abunai's suggestion. Aside from the cards, the rest of the build is sound then?

Thanks again

Edit: One last thought, PC part picker estimates my power consumption at 386W. Is a 550W supply overkill then? My current PC has a 460W (Cooler Master RS-460-PSAR-J3, to be exact) in there now, so the layman in me says that should be plenty. I have a feeling I'm somehow reading these numbers wrong or missing something, though.

These are my temps with this case after an hour of playing Bioshock Infinite at about Normal/High settings. I really like this case and how it looks since I originally wanted the HAF XB case, but that is one huge case to place on an AV stand.

My specs:

i5 2500K (not overclocked)
8 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ
EVGA 560 2GB SC
550W Ultra PSU
ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
500 GB HDD
1 TB HDD

How do my temps look to you guys?

There are only 2 outtake fans, should I try to modify an intake fan or two? I am also surprised that the top of this case has no vents open to even release heat.

htpc1v.jpg

htpc6.jpg

htpc5.jpg

htpc4.jpg

htpc3.jpg

htpc2.jpg

Demon Ice

Banned
Edit: One last thought, PC part picker estimates my power consumption at 386W. Is a 550W supply overkill then? My current PC has a 460W (Cooler Master RS-460-PSAR-J3, to be exact) in there now, so the layman in me says that should be plenty. I have a feeling I'm somehow reading these numbers wrong or missing something, though.

I'd stick with the 550 watt, it's always good to have that headroom for overclocking and future GPU upgrades. Kharma had a really good 550 watt PSU he was recommending earlier in this thread, I forget the model though.

Mandoric

Banned

Java is bad at threading. It doesn't really take advantage of multiple cores.

mhayze

Waiting for the 700 series to be out this May (if it comes out this May) is agonizing. I just want to buy my build already.

I thought the rumor was at Computex (in June) for the new Titan-based 780. This is all info from the usual suspects (Fudzilla, SA, etc.) so I'd take it with a grain of salt. Are you looking for a high end card?

I thought the rumor was at Computex (in June) for the new Titan-based 780. This is all info from the usual suspects (Fudzilla, SA, etc.) so I'd take it with a grain of salt. Are you looking for a high end card?

Yes, that'll last me for 2 years. Might just go with the 7970 GHz like I've said before in this thread.

Bombadil

Banned
Hey, all you PC enthusiasts. A great way to flex your PC's muscles and help the world at the same time is to download this client from Stanford University. It's called Folding@Home and it combines the CPU power of thousands of people (with no limit) to run calculations that are helping to find cures for major diseases including but not limited to cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and Huntington's.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Once you download the client and choose a username, you can also choose to be part of a team that earn points together and move up in the global rankings. NEOGAF has a team! The team number is 51353.

The application uses both CPU and sometimes GPU to perform tasks. It is incredibly easy to use.

nvidia_folding2.jpg

Additionally, you can also contribute to research with the community grid application from UC Berkeley. It's called BOINC and it focuses on many diseases including the ones mentioned before but also diseases such as schistosoma, which is caused by a protozoan parasite infection. The goal of this research is to help give scientists better understanding of how proteins fold so better drugs can be made to cure diseases. Additionally, projects about nuclear fusion, astrophysics, biofuel, water projects, and clean energy projects are performed on BOINC.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

Screensaver_HPF_Phase2_BOINC.png

So, if you want to make your e-peen just a little bit bigger, please download these clients to show us just how powerful your beast rig really is.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I bought the ARMA3 Alpha yesterday, and put about 2hrs into it, tonight.

MAN, what a breath of fresh air it is. The mouse controls are spot-on, which is huge, IMO. Love the way the cursor moves. I have absolutely ZERO(!) idea what I'm doing - I think I got about four kills, but died over 30 times. But it's very obvious it's a game that rewards patience, strategy, skill, and teamwork - things that games like BF3 and COD fail to embrace.

I had ARMA2, but never played more than a few hours of it because it ran like garbage. On my new 670 (versus a 5870 and 570), it seems to stay above 30fps in multi so long as I turn the AA down. While a far cry from the 60fps I'd prefer, it "feels" okay running at 30 - and it's a whole lot better than the 10-20fps I was getting in the last game.

Plus, at some points, it looks absolutely breathtaking:

Anyhoo - reason I'm posting is this is a game that will DEFINITELY put your card to work - curious how two 670s would fair...

Jordan

I have this case, fucking love it. Keeps everything amazingly cool. You may want to swap out the 2 front intake fans for 2 silent fan though if you are sensitive to fan noise. I'd also suggest 1 exhaust fan (rear or top, your choice) as well to keep the airflow going.

Do you have any photos of your case with everything in?

abunai

Can anyone here speak for the 3570k when it comes to Planetside 2?

I haven't played in two months or so, but I used to get 45~ fps on highest settings in enormous BioLab fights - i'd normally tone it down to lock 60fps. This was before the big optimisation updates that SOE promised, so it's probably irrelevant now. 4.6GHz 3570k, GTX 670.
edit: just did a quick google, seems the performance patches either did nothing or doubled people's FPS. ~SOE programming~

Decided to increase my budget and go all out, my old SSD was Intel and not that great, so now getting an SSD and Windows installed from Ava Direct.

getting 16GB RAM...because it wasn't that much more than 8GB.

What do you guys think? Ava Direct, so yea, its 25% more expensive than putting it together myself. But working 70 hours a week already, I would rather not spend time working on putting this together.

Not a good time to get a 2GB GPU imo, especially since you're going over $1500 too. With a worse case I managed to put the following PC:

DESKTOP PC Core™ i5 / i7 Z77 Performance Custom Computer System $1560.43 $1560.43
COMPUCASE HEC 6C28B Black Mid-Tower Case, No PSU, ATX
HEC X-Power 585 585W Power Supply, 24-pin ATX12V, Dual 80mm Fans, OEM
GIGABYTE GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, LGA1155, Intel® Z77, DDR3-2400 (O.C.) 32GB /4, PCIe x16, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /4, 6Gb/s /2, HDMI + DVI + VGA, USB 3.0 /4, HDA, GbLAN, mATX, Retail
INTEL Core™ i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.8GHz TB, HD Graphics 4000, LGA1155, 6MB L3 Cache, DDR3-1600, 22nm, 77W, EM64T EIST VT-x XD, Retail
CORSAIR 16GB (4 x 4GB) Vengeance™ LP Blue PC3-17000 DDR3 2133MHz CL11 (11-11-11-27) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
ZOTAC ZT-60103-10P, GeForce® GTX 680 1058MHz, 4GB GDDR5 6008MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI + HDMI + DP, Retail
SEAGATE 1TB Barracuda®, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache
SAMSUNG 128GB 840 Pro Series SSD, MLC Samsung MDX, 530/390 MB/s, 2.5-Inch, 7mm, SATA 6 Gb/s, Retail
RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
LITE-ON iHAS124 Black 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, OEM
MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM w/ Media
WARRANTY Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty

if you want my opinion it will be better if you downgraded to 8 GB Ram and got a 3770K insted, CPU is way more important. Of course you can always pay $70-$100 for the 16GB if money is not an issue.

DESKTOP PC Core™ i5 / i7 Z77 Performance Custom Computer System $1576.85 $1576.85
COMPUCASE HEC 6C28B Black Mid-Tower Case, No PSU, ATX
HEC X-Power 585 585W Power Supply, 24-pin ATX12V, Dual 80mm Fans, OEM
GIGABYTE GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, LGA1155, Intel® Z77, DDR3-2400 (O.C.) 32GB /4, PCIe x16, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /4, 6Gb/s /2, HDMI + DVI + VGA, USB 3.0 /4, HDA, GbLAN, mATX, Retail
INTEL Core™ i7-3770K Quad-Core 3.5 - 3.9GHz TB, HD Graphics 4000, LGA1155, 8MB L3 Cache, DDR3-1600, 22nm, 77W, EM64T EIST HT VT-x XD, Retail
CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance™ PC3-15000 DDR3 1866MHz CL9 (9-10-9-27) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
ZOTAC ZT-60103-10P, GeForce® GTX 680 1058MHz, 4GB GDDR5 6008MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI + HDMI + DP, Retail
SEAGATE 1TB Barracuda®, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache
SAMSUNG 128GB 840 Pro Series SSD, MLC Samsung MDX, 530/390 MB/s, 2.5-Inch, 7mm, SATA 6 Gb/s, Retail
RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
LITE-ON iHAS124 Black 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, OEM
MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM w/ Media
WARRANTY Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)

Edit: You should probably get a better PSU too.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I haven't played in two months or so, but I used to get 45~ fps on highest settings in enormous BioLab fights - i'd normally tone it down to lock 60fps. This was before the big optimisation updates that SOE promised, so it's probably irrelevant now. 4.6GHz 3570k, GTX 670.
edit: just did a quick google, seems the performance patches either did nothing or doubled people's FPS. ~SOE programming~

Thank you

Demon Ice

Banned
Not a good time to get a 2GB GPU imo, especially since you're going over $1500 too. With a worse case I managed to put the following PC:

if you want my opinion it will be better if you downgraded to 8 GB Ram and got a 3770K insted, CPU is way more important. Of course you can always pay $70-$100 for the 16GB if money is not an issue.

Edit: You should probably get a better PSU too.

Solid advice but he could probably save some cash and get some free games in the process by going for a 3 GB HD 7970 instead of the 4 GB 680. Price premium isn't really worth it for the 4 GB 680.

These are my temps with this case after an hour of playing Bioshock Infinite at about Normal/High settings. I really like this case and how it looks since I originally wanted the HAF XB case, but that is one huge case to place on an AV stand.

My specs:

i5 2500K (not overclocked)
8 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ
EVGA 560 2GB SC
550W Ultra PSU
ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
500 GB HDD
1 TB HDD

How do my temps look to you guys?

There are only 2 outtake fans, should I try to modify an intake fan or two? I am also surprised that the top of this case has no vents open to even release heat.

htpc1v.jpg

htpc6.jpg

htpc5.jpg

htpc4.jpg

htpc3.jpg

htpc2.jpg

I hate to bump one of my own threads, but I was wondering how my temps are in my system? I'm worrying about overheating the everything in the case. As I'm reading around, these temps seem to be safe, I was hoping for some GAF PC expert advice.

Are the 2 HDD's ok with how I have them setup since these were 2 slots where they would go? I was thinking of adding a Blu-ray drive at some point, which would go above the HDD on the upper right hand corner of the main image.

I bought this new case yesterday which is geared towards HTPC but I am using it more for comfy couch gaming so I could place it in my AV stand.

knitoe

I hate to bump one of my own threads, but I was wondering how my temps are in my system? I'm worrying about overheating the everything in the case. As I'm reading around, these temps seem to be safe, I was hoping for some GAF PC expert advice.

Are the 2 HDD's ok with how I have them setup since these were 2 slots where they would go? I was thinking of adding a Blu-ray drive at some point, which would go above the HDD on the upper right hand corner of the main image.

I bought this new case yesterday which is geared towards HTPC but I am using it more for comfy couch gaming so I could place it in my AV stand.

Temps are fine. The CPU can run high with the stock cooler. Get 3rd party cooler and OC the CPU. And, get a SSD. It makes a big difference Windows load and snappiness.

Neonglitz

Banned
hey some guy is telling me that dont upgrade now wait for haswell it will support DDR4. guys will it make any major difference if i upgrade to a 3770 now?

bro1

Banned
Picked up the Xonar DXG sound card to replace the onboard sound of my Sabertooth Z77 mobo. I am using Sennheiser 595 headphones and the difference is night an day. Bass is much deeper and the overall audio is a richer experience. Love it so far. Need to test out the Dolby Surround a bit more.

Temps are fine. The CPU can run high with the stock cooler. Get 3rd party cooler and OC the CPU. And, get a SSD. It makes a big difference Windows load and snappiness.

I can look at 3rd party coolers, any good recommendations?

The SSD is something that I want to add here in the next few months.

If the Nvidia 700 series doesn't release next month or this year as rumored, I might jump on a 660 TI 3GB.

My biggest concern is that do you guys think that I can overheat any components in this case with them only having 2 exhaust fans? Those exhaust fans pull out a hell of a lot of air for sure. I was thinking of modding this case to add one more fan

kennah

I can look at 3rd party coolers, any good recommendations?

The SSD is something that I want to add here in the next few months.

If the Nvidia 700 series doesn't release next month or this year as rumored, I might jump on a 660 TI 3GB.

My biggest concern is that do you guys think that I can overheat any components in this case with them only having 2 exhaust fans? Those exhaust fans pull out a hell of a lot of air for sure. I was thinking of modding this case to add one more fan

You're overthinking it. Temps will be fine. Get a Noctua low profile cooler like the NH-L12
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=46&lng=en

Really the most important thing for what you're doing is placement - make sure none of the sides are obstructed. Where is the computer going?

You're overthinking it. Temps will be fine. Get a Noctua low profile cooler like the NH-L12
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=46&lng=en

Really the most important thing for what you're doing is placement - make sure none of the sides are obstructed. Where is the computer going?

Yeah I am over thinking this way too much. This is going to sit on an AV stand where all 4 sides of the stand are wide open. There is nothing obstructing the fans or openings of the case.

If I add the 660 TI to this, that card runs much cooler than my 560 2gb correct since its Kepler?

kennah

He made me confused. i am upgrading from C2D E7500.

3770 would be a huge huge huge increase. But if you can, wait until Haswell, at the very least you'll get a socket that'll last longer.

Yeah I am over thinking this way too much. This is going to sit on an AV stand where all 4 sides of the stand are wide open. There is nothing obstructing the fans or openings of the case.

If I add the 660 TI to this, that card runs much cooler than my 560 2gb correct since its Kepler?

Yep.

3770 would be a huge huge huge increase. But if you can, wait until Haswell, at the very least you'll get a socket that'll last longer.

Yep.

Thanks Kennah.

I was also wondering about Blu-ray drives. Do they come with software to be able to run BD movies? I wanted to move my dedicated BD player upstairs and use my PC to play BD movies. Since my card or any future card I purchase can decode DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD I should be good there.

BlueMagic

So after some more research (see: this), I decided I'm probably gonna go with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 (not k)
Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-V

Considering the info of my situation of the first post (not great budget, etc), how bad/good is the combo? Should I really stretch for another motherboard/CPU?
Not really planning on overclocking, I mostly need this to run Visual Studio and such programs, which already worked well on my 965 and I'm figuring it will not bother me luckily for another (couple of) year(s) or so (since gaming is not really the priority), at which point I'll be ready to buy a brand new build.

Ty4on

So after some more research (see: this), I decided I'm probably gonna go with this:

Considering the info of my situation of the first post (not great budget, etc), how bad/good is the combo? Should I really stretch for another motherboard/CPU?
Not really planning on overclocking, I mostly need this to run Visual Studio and such programs, which already worked well on my 965 and I'm figuring it will not bother me luckily for another (couple of) year(s) or so (since gaming is not really the priority), at which point I'll be ready to buy a brand new build.
You can unlock a lot of performance with overclocking. Let's say you get 4.4 Ghz (not that hard with a decent cooler) then the clock rate is 22% faster than full turbo on all cores. If you delid 5Ghz suddenly starts to be possible, near 40% increase in clock rate.
I am now pleased with my 3570k running at 4.2 Ghz (H60, runs 70ish, but the voltage hasn't been tweaked because I'm lazy) and I like to know that when it starts to be slow in apps I can take the risk delidding it to get that extra boost in cooling.

Delidders: You are putting on that awesome metal-like thermal compound on the CPU and putting the heatspreader back on it again? Putting the cooler directly onto the chip seems very hard because the coolers aren't made for it and risky as the chip itself can break.
Cracked Ivy Bridge.

mkenyon

Banned
Built a new HTPC this weekend. AMD A8 5600K, some high clocking Samsung ram (running at 2133 right now), on the ASRock FM2 ITX board. Put it in a Prodigy with an H55, two Spectre Pro fans. This allowed me to OC it to 4.2GHz while keeping things cool.

It runs amazingly well. Playing non intensive games like Bastion, Trials Gold, and that sort of thing is a piece of cake. I'm really liking this APU.

Do you need VT-d support?
You can unlock a lot of performance with overclocking. Let's say you get 4.4 Ghz (not that hard with a decent cooler) then the clock rate is 22% faster than full turbo on all cores. If you delid 5Ghz suddenly starts to be possible, near 40% increase in clock rate.
I am now pleased with my 3570k running at 4.2 Ghz (H60, runs 70ish, but the voltage hasn't been tweaked because I'm lazy) and I like to know that when it starts to be slow in apps I can take the risk delidding it to get that extra boost in cooling.

Delidders: You are putting on that awesome metal-like thermal compound on the CPU and putting the heatspreader back on it again? Putting the cooler directly onto the chip seems very hard because the coolers aren't made for it and risky as the chip itself can break.

Cracked Ivy Bridge.
Use this to attach the heatspreader back on. It ends up functioning like solder.

Otherwise, EK makes mounting kits for their waterblocks to use specifically without a heatspreader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom