• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some additional testing tonight with this case and the damn thing got very hot due to the limited amount of fans and airflow. After an hour, I was at about 80 degrees C which is probably not too bad, but I am concerned of frying anything out.

I'm thinking of just going back to my original plan, the HAF XB.

MiGsPeQ.jpg

n0n44m

Just want to make sure i'm not crazy while looking at this Fractal R4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020

There is the option to have 2 fans on the front but the door completely covers them when closed. I see all the sound proofing material on the door which is great for keeping it silent but what is the point of those fans if 1 side is being covered?

the long, thin grills on the side of the frontpanel allow for enough room to "breathe"

of course the airflow will still be less than in a case with an open front, but it should be plenty for pretty much any configuration.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
the long, thin grills on the side of the frontpanel allow for enough room to "breathe"

of course the airflow will still be less than in a case with an open front, but it should be plenty for pretty much any configuration.
Wow and I just through those were for show. Thanks!

Radec

Hey fellas, I don't know where can I ask this so I just put it here,

Is there a way to do this?

V8PQGaM.jpg

I use my 32" LED TV as my PC monitor and I got Bioshock Infinite for free in PC and since i'm sitting like 3 ft from the TV, playing FPS makes me dizzy. (I mostly play these games on console sitting 5-6ft away).

So, is there a way to do that ? I tried windowed mode but Windows 8's borders are too distracting :/. Also the screen resize on my TV is disabled when connected to PC. On Consoles, it's enabled. weird.

PS: Can a 450w PSU handle a GTX650 Ti Boost ?

V8PQGaM.jpg

I use my 32" LED TV as my PC monitor and I got Bioshock Infinite for free in PC and since i'm sitting like 3 ft from the TV, playing FPS makes me dizzy. (I mostly play these games on console sitting 5-6ft away).

So, is there a way to do that ? I tried windowed mode but Windows 8's borders are too distracting :/. Also the screen resize on my TV is disabled when connected to PC. On Consoles, it's enabled. weird.

It's funny you ask, I bought a new monitor yesterday and it came like that by default. I have an amd card, so I went into Catalyst control center to set the overscan to 0% to make it normal. Just go in there and do the reverse.

This thread is probably helpful!
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284642-33-black-border-scrren-5770-hdmi

EDIT: Now I see you have an Nvidia card, not exactly sure what to do, but its probably very similar. Also, if your PSU is a good brand, I would think it would handle a GTX650Ti Boost just fine.

Echoplx

http://i.imgur.com/V8PQGaM.jpg

Go into the the NV control panel and change your settings to this, set the resoultion in game to something lower than your TVs native res and it should work.

edit: I'm not sure what hardware you have but for AMD it should be similar.

Addnan

Was excited to build an ITX today, but the stupid delivery company says they couldn't find house. Lol. Same company delivered here on Friday.

Radec

It's funny you ask, I bought a new monitor yesterday and it came like that by default. I have an amd card, so I went into Catalyst control center to set the overscan to 0% to make it normal. Just go in there and do the reverse.

This thread is probably helpful!
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284642-33-black-border-scrren-5770-hdmi

EDIT: Now I see you have an Nvidia card, not exactly sure what to do, but its probably very similar. Also, if your PSU is a good brand, I would think it would handle a GTX650Ti Boost just fine.

Go into the the NV control panel and change your settings to this, set the resoultion in game to something lower than your TVs native res and it should work.

edit: I'm not sure what hardware you have but for AMD it should be similar.

hey those work great. :)

Thanks!

Alacrity

Neo Member
I was wondering which wireless router you guys would suggest? I plug my PC, Xbox, and PS3 in directly so i need a few ethernet ports. The wireless will be mostly for my Tablets/phones/laptops or friends.

I have 50mbps Cable internet DOCSIS 3.0 and I was looking at the motorola SBG6580 on amazon here : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GZ2QKO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: not sure if it matters, but I'm moving into a 1700 sq ft townhome with 2 levels. Powerline internet is not something I really want to deal with cost wise.

I was wondering which wireless router you guys would suggest? I plug my PC, Xbox, and PS3 in directly so i need a few ethernet ports. The wireless will be mostly for my Tablets/phones/laptops or friends.

I have 50mbps Cable internet DOCSIS 3.0 and I was looking at the motorola SBG6580 on amazon here : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GZ2QKO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: not sure if it matters, but I'm moving into a 1700 sq ft townhome with 2 levels. Powerline internet is not something I really want to deal with cost wise.

I have the Linksys EA4500 and I'm satisfied.

mkenyon

Banned
I did some additional testing tonight with this case and the damn thing got very hot due to the limited amount of fans and airflow. After an hour, I was at about 80 degrees C which is probably not too bad, but I am concerned of frying anything out.

I'm thinking of just going back to my original plan, the HAF XB.

MiGsPeQ.jpg
It reminds me of an OG X-Box that decided to start using steroids and calling everyone 'brah'.

It reminds me of an OG X-Box that decided to start using steroids and calling everyone 'brah'.

Yeah, this case does look like its on a heavy dose of steroids. I was looking at it again today while at TigerDirect and I really like this case. I like the red LED lights too, was trying to decide of going with the red or the blue.

On my way home from work, going to stop at Microcenter to swap out nMedia 7000B for this one. I really wish the nMedia had more spots for fans or even open ventilation on the top of the case. Oh well, I was trying to use the case well beyond what it was designed to do.

kennah

Thinking of selling the SG05 and getting a Node instead. Decisions...

Would an H40 or H100 or Hyper 212 fit in a small Node?

Demon Ice

Banned
I'll still use my Phenom II X6 for awhile longer, but the video card has to get replaced soon. Its a 5770 HD from ATI. What is the best option, under $100 if possible?

You're not gonna find a good card under $100 unless you go used. If you want a brand new card for slightly more than that price point that would be a great replacement for a 5770 look into the Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost or AMD HD 7790.

I'll still use my Phenom II X6 for awhile longer, but the video card has to get replaced soon. Its a 5770 HD from ATI. What is the best option, under $100 if possible?

There's this in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. That'd be a nice upgrade from your 5770.

Want to sell used Asus GTX 560 Ti. Photo here, Newegg link here. Card was slightly overclocked and completely stable, includes box and everything originally included. Looking for $115 shipped.

kn1ves24

I really liked the design of the HAF XB, and I almost bought one, it just was out of my price range at the time.

Question for anybody out there. I have a ASRock mobo (can't remember the exact model) with an AMD FX6100 in it. I have two 5770's crossfired. What would be a good replacement for the 5770's? I would like to keep the cost down, so something in the 200 dollar range is preferable. The mobo only supports crossfire, its not one that can do sli and crossfire. I would like to stick with AMD as to leave the possibility open to crossfire later.

Any suggestions are welcome.

mkenyon

Banned
I really liked the design of the HAF XB, and I almost bought one, it just was out of my price range at the time.

Question for anybody out there. I have a ASRock mobo (can't remember the exact model) with an AMD FX6100 in it. I have two 5770's crossfired. What would be a good replacement for the 5770's? I would like to keep the cost down, so something in the 200 dollar range is preferable. The mobo only supports crossfire, its not one that can do sli and crossfire. I would like to stick with AMD as to leave the possibility open to crossfire later.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Also consider the Fractal Node 605:

One of my smurf pseudonyms is Broletariat.

I was looking at the Node 605 and it is really out of my price range. The Node 605 is very classy looking and looks rather roomy. The issues is that I want to add an SSD and a new GPU in the next month so I want to save the difference towards those. The GPU is rather needed at this point, my 560 is struggling with Bioshock Infinite.

Are there any new graphics cards on the horizon soon?

I'm targeting a summer build so I can wait to see what the new Intels are like, but I'll wait a but longer if there are new GPUs.

LCGeek

formerly sane

I'm targeting a summer build so I can wait to see what the new Intels are like, but I'll wait a but longer if there are new GPUs.

Certain groups of us here are waiting for possible announcement on nvidia cards that are due sometime late this month or sometime earlier in june.

mkenyon

Banned

680 and 670 rumored to get a MHz bump and rebrand to 770 and 760Ti. New 780 might be Titan Lite. We'll know for sure sometime in May or June.

kn1ves24

Saw this on the egg wasn't sure if it was posted earlier on (didn't see it).

Newegg link

Seems like a decent deal to me, considering the extra games thrown in. I haven't had any experience with this brand before though. Has any one?

Demon Ice

Banned
Saw this on the egg wasn't sure if it was posted earlier on (didn't see it).

Newegg link

Seems like a decent deal to me, considering the extra games thrown in. I haven't had any experience with this brand before though. Has any one?

Don't let the games be a deciding factor as that bundle is offered with every HD 7850 regardless of brand.

That said, my old HD 5770 was from Powercolor and I had no issues with it at all.

kn1ves24

Don't let the games be a deciding factor as that bundle is offered with every HD 7850 regardless of brand.

That said, my old HD 5770 was from Powercolor and I had no issues with it at all.

That's true, I was just saying considering that its still around 40-50 dollars cheaper than similarly spec'd 7850's and still comes with the games was a nice bonus. Good to hear about Powercolor too.

RaoulDuke

just got my Sapphire 7950 today and its about an inch too long to fit in my case! so frustrating. so now i want to swap it for another one that is a bit shorter. Can anyone recommend a shorter model?

Amazon lists the sapphire card at 12.5 inches long, but that is the size of the box. the actual card is just over 11 inches long.

This XFX is listed at 10.5 inches, so that should fit... hopefully.

Katyusha

just got my Sapphire 7950 today and its about an inch too long to fit in my case! so frustrating. so now i want to swap it for another one that is a bit shorter. Can anyone recommend a shorter model?

Amazon lists the sapphire card at 12.5 inches long, but that is the size of the box. the actual card is just over 11 inches long.

This XFX is listed at 10.5 inches, so that should fit... hopefully.

I would NOT go with the XFX one, I haven't heard any good things about it or any of their cards

Anyways, the MSI 7950 is 10.28 inches, according to newegg

neoanarch

Lian Li PC-7HX

Its on the first post and on sale at newegg. But there are hardly any reviews for it. Is it a must buy at 50 after mir?

Arsenic

I don't know where else to post this, but I guess I'll give you guys a crack at this.

I was servicing a friend's computer today (a recent built) and after installing a new SSD and reinstalling windows on the drive (Cloning failed, disk imaging failed), a load of new problems came up.

1) Some USB ports are no longer working. I've experienced this issue myself, but the problems shifted to different ports around the computer after my friend received it. This i feel is very important as it can indicate hardware problems leading to other problems....

2) Network adapter is no longer working. MY friend uses ethernet only and when going to My network and connections > Change adapter settings, there's no network adapter to enable. I can't fix this issues since there's no internet connection whatsoever.

3) Final problem is a dual monitor issue. Hes running two older HP monitors to a Radeon 7970 via DVI, and the other via HDMI. Both monitors turn on and mirror one another. Under settings, windows recognizes just one monitor and theres no option to enable the other as an extension.

Please, any help would be appreciated. I will be away for about a week and can't service his computer, and he needs it for work. I feel awful leaving it at its current state and would really love to resolve one or two of the issues asap. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom