• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

I've got a xfx 7950 dd and it works great. I've had for almost 6 months no issues at all, except that it was too big for my previous case.

Now you've heard something good about xfx :)

They're not bad in isolation, but compared to the competition there is better out there for the same or better money.

mkenyon

Banned
*drool*

Where'd his drives go? All the bays look empty. Did he toss them in the bottom or the 5.25" bays for airflow? Also No EATX is a cosmos? For shame :p
1) SSDs
2) You can't paint an EATX motherboard like that. Only the Sabertooth can do that.

This is a WIP pic though, lots to be done.

Vicros

Any recommendations for a Bluray drive? A brand or specific drive people are happy with?

All I want to do is watch movies on my pc, so I don't need a burner. Preferably one that comes bundled with software. Is there really no free software that can play Bluray discs?

Demon Ice

Banned
Also general question, what's the best way to universally force triple buffering in all my DirectX games? I know the setting in the Nvidia CP only works in Open GL, is there a program where I can set a single global setting to force TB in all DX games?

Reposting on new page, anybody care to shed some light on this for me? Much appreciated!

Correct, most people hit a hardware wall before temp becomes a problem.

As for overclocks you can get stuff like this:

Altho, these are validated i dont reckon they are very stable. Sometimes during these oc contests all they need is to be able to boot in windows and get it validated.

7GHz, daaaamn. Although it looks like they had to deactivate 3/4 of the cores? I wonder what the highest "working" OC they could get and maintain on LN2 with all 4 cores on...definitely past the 5 Ghz mark?

Pavaloo

Hey guys I'm the process of building right now.

So my motherboard didn't come with any of the "stand-off" screws that they mention in the tested build tutorial, but my tower came with only 2. My motherboard has 9 holes to screw so, am I going to need to go buy some of these tiny things?

hlhbk

So I just ordered a ASUS VS239H-P that will be delivered on Friday. I currently have an Acer 241w. I will be going from a 2ms to a 5ms response time. Is this something that will seem different to me by much? Also anyone who has this monitor what is your impressions of it? Do you like it? Any idea how it will compare to my old monitor?

I am also getting a 2nd bigger SSD drive. I want to move all of my steam games to it. Do I need to reinstall Steam or is there an easy way to move the games without having to reinstall them in Steam?

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys I'm the process of building right now.

So my motherboard didn't come with any of the "sand-off" screws that they mention in the tested build tutorial, but my tower came with only 2. My motherboard has 9 holes to screw so, am I going to need to go buy some of these tiny things?
Your case probably has them preinstalled, or has the bumps that work as standoffs. What case?
I am also getting a 2nd bigger SSD drive. I want to move all of my steam games to it. Do I need to reinstall Steam or is there an easy way to move the games without having to reinstall them in Steam?
Drag and drop the whole steam folder. Easy as pie.

Pavaloo

Your case probably has them preinstalled, or has the bumps that work as standoffs. What case?

There's definitely bumps where the screws should go. I have the bitfenix ghost case, currently trying to install the Gigabyte Z77-UD5H motherboard

edit: there are definitely spots in all the right places for my motherboard to screw in, but it all looks to be slightly off so none of it lines up.. fuck.

mkenyon

Banned
There's definitely bumps where the screws should go. I have the bitfenix ghost case, currently trying to install the Gigabyte Z77-UD5H motherboard

edit: there are definitely spots in all the right places for my motherboard to screw in, but it all looks to be slightly off so none of it lines up.. fuck.
Yep, those bumps are what you use instead. Did a build in the same case myself.

You just need to push your motherboard harder into position.

Pavaloo

Ah thank you! And you're right, there was just a cushion in the way of where the motherboard meets up with the back panel, all is well. Now to figure out what screws to use lol

neoanarch

Yes yes yes yes yes. I meant to post this yesterday. It's the deal of the century.

Lian Li PC-7HX is so discounted right now that you would be foolish to pass on it. It's a $120 case for $50 after MIR, $60 out the door. Full aluminum, all black interior, classy as hell.

That was my fear. I was trying to hold off on a case, but after the samsung 8gb kit at 30$ I can't miss this either.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's a good video card you can get these days for around 200$? I'm not looking for something very powerful, just a replacement for my 560 Ti that seems to be dying slowly with all the little graphical glitch i see on dark pictures/games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What's a good video card you can get these days for around 200$? I'm not looking for something very powerful, just a replacement for my 560 Ti that seems to be dying slowly with all the little graphical glitch i see on dark pictures/games.
Too bad, get a 7850 or a GTX 660 :p

Is it not in the warranty period? It probably is.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys hoping to get some advice re headsets etc....

My PC is hooked up to my TV. I have a great 5.1 Yamaha system and a pair of Sennheiser HD598s.

I was thinking I just buy a clip on mic for use with the HD598s and a cheapish Bluetooth headset for when I am using my 5.1 setup.

Thoughts??

Bisnic

Demon Ice

Banned

mkenyon

Banned
RMA your video card. Warranties are always like 3 years nowadays.

None of those cards are very big improvements over your 560Ti.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I saw another for 215$ instead of 230$ and 7.50$ shipping with about the same specs, but i dont know how good EVGA cards are usually.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130826
eVGA is good for warranties. Their cards are ok and all use stock coolers while having a premium which is bad.

I'd personally go with a 7870 OC: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=69492&vpn=GV-R787OC-2GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1280
You also get the game bundle which is bonkers:
Never Settle Reloaded Bioshock Infinite
Tomb Raider
FC3 Blood Dragon Digital Download *AMD Promo*

Or a GTX 660: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=76367&vpn=GTX660-DC2O-2GD5&manufacture=ASUS
The 7870 is significantly faster.

*Oh and also check if you can RMA your GPU. Like I said before it should be in warranty, although some people only offer 2 years now, or CA support might be lacking.

Bisnic

RMA your video card. Warranties are always like 3 years nowadays.

None of those cards are very big improvements over your 560Ti.

I am satisfied with my 560 Ti, i'm not really looking for a big upgrade, i just want a replacement before my 560 Ti give up, those little red dots that i see on some dark pictures is worrisome.

eVGA is good for warranties. Their cards are ok and all use stock coolers while having a premium which is bad.

I'd personally go with a 7870 OC: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=69492&vpn=GV-R787OC-2GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1280
You also get the game bundle which is bonkers:

Or a GTX 660: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=76367&vpn=GTX660-DC2O-2GD5&manufacture=ASUS
The 7870 is significantly faster.

*Oh and also check if you can RMA your GPU. Like I said before it should be in warranty, although some people only offer 2 years now, or CA support might be lacking.

Thanks, one last thing though, what kind of power supply do these cards need? Mine is 600W and its been working fine for my 560 Ti, so i guess video cards that are a little upgrade like that will be fine.

I'm not sure how i can check if i can RMA my GPU, or if i can even do it. I don't have the box anymore.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks, one last thing though, what kind of power supply do these cards need? Mine is 600W and its been working fine for my 560 Ti, so i guess video cards that are a little upgrade like that will be fine.

I'm not sure how i can check if i can RMA my GPU, or if i can even do it. I don't have the box anymore.
Punch your numbers on the back of your card sticker into your manufactuer's website, or just write them down and call them.
Check your invoice from Amazon/Newegg/NCIX and print that info out too.

PSU same is fine. They'll use the same or less power off the top of my head.

Bisnic

Punch your numbers on the back of your card sticker into your manufactuer's website, or just write them down and call them.
Check your invoice from Amazon/Newegg/NCIX and print that info out too.

PSU same is fine. They'll use the same or less power off the top of my head.

Thanks again, i'll probably take a look this weekend. I bought this card in May 2011, so i should be fine i guess.

Hente

I have the opportunity to get a used PNY 560Ti for $70, should I go for it? Going to be replacing an old 8800GT, and if it matters I'm using a G2020 + 4 GB ram.

kennah

Do it, that's a pretty solid upgrade from your 8800. Save up a buck or three to get a better CPU and you'll probably have something that'll carry you for a while if you've lasted that long :)

Hente

^It's someone on craigslist, I'm going to be testing it out beforehand though.
One more question with the 560Ti and another question with hard drives. Will I be able to power the 560Ti with an Antec VP450?
And would I be able to use an old Laptop hard drive as my primary drive without a 2.5 to 3.5 bay adapter? Planning on just setting the drive down somewhere, unsecured probably, maybe in the 5.25 bay.

Do it, that's a pretty solid upgrade from your 8800. Save up a buck or three to get a better CPU and you'll probably have something that'll carry you for a while if you've lasted that long :)

Cool, thanks. I'm actually still running a Pentium 4 haha, was planning on using the 8800 in the new build but for $70 I don't think I'd be able to pass up a better GPU.

mkenyon, you had to recommend the Fractal Design Node 605 the other day. LOL! I am going to cave tomorrow. I boxed up the HAF XB and getting ready to return it to Microcenter tomorrow. It is an awesome case, but it's just too big for my AV stand. Hoping Microcenter doesn't kick my ass tomorrow for returning case #2, but I'll be spending more money so hopefully they should be cool.

kennah

mkenyon, you had to recommend the Fractal Design Node 605 the other day. LOL! I am going to cave tomorrow. I boxed up the HAF XB and getting ready to return it to Microcenter tomorrow. It is an awesome case, but it's just too big for my AV stand. Hoping Microcenter doesn't kick my ass tomorrow for returning case #2, but I'll be spending more money so hopefully they should be cool.

Good choice, loooooove the Node.

AMd announce a couple new CPU's, the 4350 and 6350.

4350=4.2 ghz quad core, 4.3 turbo, and 8MB L3 cache instead of 4MB/3.8 ghz on the 4300. $122 MSRP

6350 is a six core, 3.9 ghz, $132. (6300=3.5ghz)

Both have TDP's of 125 watts as opposed to 95 for the 4300 and 6300.

I'm always trying to support underdog AMD and these seem like pretty good values. I've been kicking around upgrading my rig forever and still haven't done it, but if I do part of me wants to take a flyer and build a cheap 6350 rig or something, and hope it grows into a good cheap gaming CPU over time (next gen consoles and all that). Not sure if I could pull the trigger though over tried and true Intel.

http://www.slashgear.com/next-gen-amd-fx-4350-and-6350-join-the-fx-cpu-family-01280190/

Right so I am sending back my Sensei the left mouse button is erratic when I click it and it is doing my head in. I was looking at the Shogun Bros Ballista mk-1 anyone know if it is good? PC Gamer gave it high praise and it looks quite nice.

abunai

Right so I am sending back my Sensei the left mouse button is erratic when I click it and it is doing my head in. I was looking at the Shogun Bros Ballista mk-1 anyone know if it is good? PC Gamer gave it high praise and it looks quite nice.

There's a good chance it's just dust underneath the sensor of the mouse button on your Sensei. You could always open the mouse up (screws will be under the 'feet') and give it a clean to see if that fixes your problem. You can't really get a better mouse than the Sensei, honestly. I can recommend Roccat Kone+ highly, as I have used both a lot and have zero issues with either.

For the Titan, there's 3 different versions?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/promo/nvidia-titan.html

One from Asus, Gigabyte and Zotac. They're all exactly the same?

Yeah, the cards themselves are all the same. I remember reading that nvidia would eventually allow custom oem coolers, but as of now they are all the same nvidia reference. I assume the only difference out-with the card, would be return/customer support of the manufacturer.

There's a good chance it's just dust underneath the sensor of the mouse button on your Sensei. You could always open the mouse up (screws will be under the 'feet') and give it a clean to see if that fixes your problem. You can't really get a better mouse than the Sensei, honestly. I can recommend Roccat Kone+ highly, as I have used both a lot and have zero issues with either.

Yeah, the cards themselves are all the same. I remember reading that nvidia would eventually allow custom oem coolers, but as of now they are all the same nvidia reference. I assume the only difference out-with the card, would be return/customer support of the manufacturer.

I think something is broken more than a cleaning problem. The right click is a lot more responsive than the left it makes a proper click whereas the left is a lot less audible. Whilst I love the Sensei it just isn't working out, I think I will prefer the Ballista a lot more as it has a more preferable shape. Thanks for the suggestions though.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

HoosTrax

Seeing duct blowers on GPUs make me instinctively cringe. I don't think I've seen any noise benchmarks where they were capable of producing lower noise than something like the DirectCU II cooler, or what Gigabyte uses now.

zeelman

So I put together my new computer last night. I'm using this case. It has a fan on top of the case, on the back end of the case right near the top case, and one in the bottom front end of the case. My Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is blowing downwards towards my graphics card. Is that ideal?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
So I put together my new computer last night. I'm using this case. It has a fan on top of the case, on the back end of the case right near the top case, and one in the bottom front end of the case. My Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is blowing downwards towards my graphics card. Is that ideal?

The EVO fan is literally facing downwards? CPU fans are meant to draw air across the heatsink and out towards the exhaust fan, which removes the hot air.

kennah

212 fan should be blowing towards the exhaust fan at the back of the computer. Rotate it 90 degrees.

If you opt for 16GB of RAM is it better to go quad or dual channel?

I'm assuming there is not actually a massive difference....but maybe there is?

Socket 1155 doesn't support Quad Channel, only 2011 does. If you can do it do it, since when you're at that level you may as well anyway. But it does increase the odds of a lesser over clock.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
The EVO fan is literally facing downwards? CPU fans are meant to draw air across the heatsink and out towards the exhaust fan, which removes the hot air.

Like this:

Small%20(13%20of%2013).jpg

Ty4on

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Don't think he wants to take off the heatsink.
I would just change it to this as it really shouldn't effect performance to the stock setup.

Top fans usually blow upwards. Make sure the fans blow in the same/similar direction so either turn your heatsink to blow back in your case, or just move the fan to blow up. Blowing air down onto the GPU is rarely ideal because it is pushing air away from the exausts. With a top fan blowing down (like a SG09) the tower heatsink should push air back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom