• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
somebody should design some good looking monitors. Except Apple Display, there is literally no wonderful looking display. I wonder why this is. I mean, unlike the computer, you always witness the monitor(or the frame).

ACE 1991

So guys, is it worth it to upgrade my GPU in the next coming months? My current setup:

1GB 6950
i5 2500K @ 4.0ghz
8gb Ram

I'm wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to to a new card in 2 or or wait until next gen hits. I'm hoping I can ebay my 6950 for about 50-100 and then use that cash towards purchasing a 250-300 GPU. I assume my CPU and ram should be next-gen capable, right?

So guys, is it worth it to upgrade my GPU in the next coming months? My current setup:

1GB 6950
i5 2500K @ 4.0ghz
8gb Ram

I'm wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to to a new card in 2 or or wait until next gen hits. I'm hoping I can ebay my 6950 for about 50-100 and then use that cash towards purchasing a 250-300 GPU. I assume my CPU and ram should be next-gen capable, right?

Personally, I'd upgrade IF you find current games not running to your expectations. If they're fine, I'd hold out. I'm on a similar setup (2500K @ 4.1, GTX 560 Ti being the only differences) and I feel OK for now. Looking forward to getting a 2 GB+ GPU, but I am gonna hold for the next iteration of cards at this point. Oh, and CPU/RAM are probably A-okay still.

Okay, so i'm thinking of upgrading my CPU a bit, right now i have a phenom II x2 545 unlocked to quad core and overclocked to 3.5GHz, i'm thinking of getting either a Phenom II X4 965 (3.4 stock) or a Phenom II X6 1045T (2.7 stock). Or is it not really worth upgrading to either of those?

ACE 1991

Personally, I'd upgrade IF you find current games not running to your expectations. If they're fine, I'd hold out. I'm on a similar setup (2500K @ 4.1, GTX 560 Ti being the only differences) and I feel OK for now. Looking forward to getting a 2 GB+ GPU, but I am gonna hold for the next iteration of cards at this point. Oh, and CPU/RAM are probably A-okay still.

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with the way current games are running, so I guess it makes the most sense to just hold out.

zakislam

Hey guys, I'm buying 2 Titans from Nvidia. What kind of motherboard from Intel would work well with the Titans? Price is not a barrier; want to invest in a great PC that I don't have to upgrade for years. Thanks.

kharma45

Okay, so i'm thinking of upgrading my CPU a bit, right now i have a phenom II x2 545 unlocked to quad core and overclocked to 3.5GHz, i'm thinking of getting either a Phenom II X4 965 (3.4 stock) or a Phenom II X6 1045T (2.7 stock). Or is it not really worth upgrading to either of those?

If you're going AMD I would go for an 8320 or 8350 if your mobo can take it.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to take a second to thank everyone who makes this thread work. A few weeks after buying my new rig (for home media and gaming use) I am very happy. Only wish I made my purchase sooner (i.e years ago).

Even with a HD 7850 I am also content with the way Farcry is running at 1080p on my TV. Looking forward to upgrading the card at the end of the year.

Also love my Logitech K810 and Razer Mamba set up (coupled with the fact my rig is hidden out of sight)! So only seeing a stylish mouse and keyboard passes the all important GF test!

Returning to PC gaming is just glorious. Looking forward to moving through my backlog of dirt cheap amazing games at my own pace.

Also consider the Fractal Node 605:

One of my smurf pseudonyms is Broletariat.

I did get the HAF XB last night and the case is a beast, freakin thing is fairly huge but I will say airflow is fantastic if that is what others are looking for in a case. The Node 605 would have been awesome but I didn't feeling like spending the money on it. Like some of the reviews said, the HAF XB does take some getting used to on initial setup. You literally have to put all components on the bottom half first and route all cables. My only complaint with it so far is that the front fans like many reviewers have said are too loud. A lot of people have recommended just swapping them out with quieter fans, which I plan to do this week. The stock fans sound like your in a server room.

Yeah, my motherboard supports AM3+, I'm just not looking to spend that much. Under $100 is my price range, mainly i just want a little more performance while not having to over volt my RAM quite so much for stability.

kharma45

Yeah, my motherboard supports AM3+, I'm just not looking to spend that much. Under $100 is my price range, mainly i just want a little more performance while not having to over volt my RAM quite so much for stability.

The 965 probably isn't that great an upgrade from your unlocked CPU you have at the minute.

RaoulDuke

I would NOT go with the XFX one, I haven't heard any good things about it or any of their cards

Anyways, the MSI 7950 is 10.28 inches, according to newegg

gah, now i am thinking to just go get a new case since i will want to upgrade the cpu/mb soon anyway.

i was thinking about the NZXT Source 210 in the OP, but I would rather not have the side vent. any cheap recomendations that will fit a full length card?

Also, thanks for the advice, i really apprciate this thread so much. Its the best way to keep up with the PC world.

mkenyon

Banned
Lian Li PC-7HX

Its on the first post and on sale at newegg. But there are hardly any reviews for it. Is it a must buy at 50 after mir?
Yes yes yes yes yes. I meant to post this yesterday. It's the deal of the century.
somebody should design some good looking monitors. Except Apple Display, there is literally no wonderful looking display. I wonder why this is. I mean, unlike the computer, you always witness the monitor(or the frame).
Samsung S23A950D.

But, I'd rather have a monitor $50 cheaper with a more plain cabinet than a super fancy looking one. I'd imagine most people are in the same boat. There's a reason why the ACD is so expensive while monitors with the same panel range from $300-500.
Stop enabling. SHAME
gah, now i am thinking to just go get a new case since i will want to upgrade the cpu/mb soon anyway.

i was thinking about the NZXT Source 210 in the OP, but I would rather not have the side vent. any cheap recomendations that will fit a full length card?

Also, thanks for the advice, i really apprciate this thread so much. Its the best way to keep up with the PC world.
Lian Li PC-7HX is so discounted right now that you would be foolish to pass on it. It's a $120 case for $50 after MIR, $60 out the door. Full aluminum, all black interior, classy as hell.

Hawk269

Hey guys, I'm buying 2 Titans from Nvidia. What kind of motherboard from Intel would work well with the Titans? Price is not a barrier; want to invest in a great PC that I don't have to upgrade for years. Thanks.

Why are you limiting yourself to Intel brand Motheboards? Or are you asking Intel compatible motherboard? But the bigger question before anyone here can give you advice on a motherboard is...."What processor are you getting"??? We need to know that before recommending a motherboard.

I would highly suggest a strong I7 CPU to feed 2 Titans.

mkenyon

Banned
He had a low budget (which in the end turned out to be $100), and they're not bad CPUs by any stretch. If you're already on AM3+ they're a perfectly acceptable way to go if you don't want to shell out for a new mobo.
I know, it was good advice. I'm just sticking to this as an in-joke :p
This could basically serve as the 'Ultimate' build in the OP:

Mobo: Rampage IV Formula
CPU: Intel 3930K
RAM: 4x4GB of 1866+ DDR3
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Fans: 3xCorsair AF140 Quiet Editions to replace Fractal fans
SSD: Crucial M500 480GB or 960GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z or Xonar Essence STX
Video cards: Two Titans

Demon Ice

Banned

Do you mean Intel brand specifically or just supporting Intel processors? If price isn't an object then go all out like mkenyon said, get the Asus Rampage IV mobo. Asus Sabertooth and MSI MPOWER also look like great boards for less, but if you want the best of the best it would be the Rampage IV.

mkenyon

Banned
Do you mean Intel brand specifically or just supporting Intel processors? If price isn't an object then go all out like mkenyon said, get the Asus Rampage IV mobo. Asus Sabertooth and MSI MPOWER also look like great boards for less, but if you want the best of the best it would be the Rampage IV.
This is why I was suggesting Rampage IV Formula. It's a good bit cheaper than the Extreme, and the benefits of the Extreme are generally meant for people who want to put their stuff under LN2.

Demon Ice

Banned
This is why I was suggesting Rampage IV Formula. It's a good bit cheaper than the Extreme, and the benefits of the Extreme are generally meant for people who want to put their stuff under LN2.

I had no idea that was even possible. Liquid nitrogen? How does that not destroy the components?

MedIC86

I had no idea that was even possible. Liquid nitrogen? How does that not destroy the components?

Most people i know who had permanent LN2 cooling (some people do it once and usual with the pc laid out on the table) use a special case for it like this:

500x1000px-LL-9d0a7263_22.jpeg

that way it generally works the same like when you install a watercooler, but you also have a big ass compressor in the case below.

zakislam

Why are you limiting yourself to Intel brand Motheboards? Or are you asking Intel compatible motherboard? But the bigger question before anyone here can give you advice on a motherboard is...."What processor are you getting"??? We need to know that before recommending a motherboard.

I would highly suggest a strong I7 CPU to feed 2 Titans.

Sorry, I meant any motherboard. I meant to ask which processor from Intel (the best one preferably) would go well with 2 Titans. Also, is 2 Titans overkill? Can I definitely max out any game in terms of graphical settings such as Crysis 3 with 2? I'm also getting it to edit video. On my dual core it'd take literally half the day to save, say, a 1 GB video file on Sony Vegas Pro. So I'm presuming it'd be much faster with such a powerful computer?

I was inspired by this - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-ultimate-gaming-pc - which has 3 Titans.

mkenyon

Banned
Sorry, I meant any motherboard. I meant to ask which processor from Intel (the best one preferably) would go well with 2 Titans. Also, is 2 Titans overkill? Can I definitely max out any game in terms of graphical settings such as Crysis 3 with 2? I'm also getting it to edit video. On my dual core it'd take literally half the day to save, say, a 1 GB video file on Sony Vegas Pro. So I'm presuming it'd be much faster with such a powerful computer?

I was inspired by this - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-ultimate-gaming-pc - which has 3 Titans.
Yeah, you'd want the PC I laid out above.

Alternatively, you could swap the CPU with a 3770K and a Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 motherboard, or MSI MPower. It'd be a bit cheaper, but definitely not as fast in video editing.

The Titans are great cards to have for additional editing power. Vegas prefers AMD, Premiere prefers NVIDIA. You can definitely use NVIDIA cards in Vegas though.

You can also get a nicer case, but it wouldn't do anything other than look prettier. This is important to people like me, but I definitely understand that not being a priority.

If you are needing someone to build it for you, I'd be more than happy to get it set up and running.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'll echo this.

Demon Ice

Banned
Most people i know who had permanent LN2 cooling (some people do it once and usual with the pc laid out on the table) use a special case for it like this:

that way it generally works the same like when you install a watercooler, but you also have a big ass compressor in the case below.

It's for overclocking competitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBVQndT_ZRg

You use pots which hold the LN2 on the stuff you are cooling. They're like big heatsinks that you can pour into. The rest of the stuff is covered in grease.

Huh. That's really intense. I shouldn't be surprised haha, what kind of CPU clocks are achievable on LN2? I'm guessing there's some limitation of the architecture that they'll hit before the temps become an issue.

Also general question, what's the best way to universally force triple buffering in all my DirectX games? I know the setting in the Nvidia CP only works in Open GL, is there a program where I can set a single global setting to force TB in all DX games?

MedIC86

Huh. That's really intense. I shouldn't be surprised haha, what kind of CPU clocks are achievable on LN2? I'm guessing there's some limitation of the architecture that they'll hit before the temps become an issue.

Correct, most people hit a hardware wall before temp becomes a problem.

As for overclocks you can get stuff like this:

big_002.jpg

Altho, these are validated i dont reckon they are very stable. Sometimes during these oc contests all they need is to be able to boot in windows and get it validated.

I don't know what to do. Since I was leaving for college last fall I needed some money and didn't want to bring my tower with me so I sold it. My Xbox just bit the dust so I don't plan on buying another one. I don't know whether I should get back into PC gaming or just get next gen consoles. Lately low framerates have been giving me headaches. Fc3, Dark Souls and other titles just nauseate me with their bad framerates. I really miss the 1080p 60fps glory that I experienced last year. My steam and origin library were both pretty packed with good games and now they're just sitting there dormant. Hmmmm so conflicted!

Addnan

Made the small ITX pc today, ended up going for the Cooler Master 120 case instead of the Prodigy. The thing is tiny, was pretty hard getting the front connectors in, probably would be a lot easier if there was a way to make my hands shrink.

kharma45

I don't know what to do. Since I was leaving for college last fall I needed some money and didn't want to bring my tower with me so I sold it. My Xbox just bit the dust so I don't plan on buying another one. I don't know whether I should get back into PC gaming or just get next gen consoles. Lately low framerates have been giving me headaches. Fc3, Dark Souls and other titles just nauseate me with their bad framerates. I really miss the 1080p 60fps glory that I experienced last year. My steam and origin library were both pretty packed with good games and now they're just sitting there dormant. Hmmmm so conflicted!

If you've an extensive Steam and Origin library come back. Plenty of SFF options if space is a concern.

Mad Max

I've decided to keep my hd7950 (Asus DC2T) for a while longer, so I figure I might as well put a nice full cover WC block on it. I'm currently looking at the EK-FC7950 and the alphacool ATXP 7950 blocks since they are the most affordable (~€80), but reviews are quite rare, so can anyone offer me some advise on this?

RaoulDuke

mkenyon

Banned
Any thoughts on the Antec 300 two? im partial to picking one up instore so i dont have to wait for shipping. The local Frys has this for $70. If its not so good, ill just get the Lian Li from newegg.
It's not nearly as good.

Full aluminum with lots of space and options vs. cheap plastic and SECC with some outdated design.

mkenyon

Banned
Small form factor PC. Easy choice.

A.Romero

I would NOT go with the XFX one, I haven't heard any good things about it or any of their cards

Anyways, the MSI 7950 is 10.28 inches, according to newegg

I've got a xfx 7950 dd and it works great. I've had for almost 6 months no issues at all, except that it was too big for my previous case.

Now you've heard something good about xfx :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom