• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Don't think he wants to take off the heatsink.
I would just change it to this as it really shouldn't effect performance to the stock setup.

Top fans usually blow upwards. Make sure the fans blow in the same/similar direction so either turn your heatsink to blow back in your case, or just move the fan to blow up. Blowing air down onto the GPU is rarely ideal because it is pushing air away from the exausts. With a top fan blowing down (like a SG09) the tower heatsink should push air back.

Wouldn't the efficiency be significantly decreased in that config? Typically you have your front fan bringing in cool air to the CPU heatsink and fan, but there all you've got is the hot air rising off the rear of the GPU.

It'll no doubt be AOK, but the temps will be higher, which will mean the fan has to run that bit quicker to keep everything cool under load.

Ty4on

Wouldn't the efficiency be significantly decreased in that config? Typically you have your front fan bringing in cool air to the CPU heatsink and fan, but there all you've got is the hot air rising off the rear of the GPU.

It'll no doubt be AOK, but the temps will be higher, which will mean the fan has to run that bit quicker to keep everything cool under load.

Yeah, but I don't know how keen he'll be on moving the heatsink.

mkenyon

Banned
New Gigabyte Z87 boards:

UP7

0e7f1075_Gigabyte-GA-Z87X-OC-635x476.jpeg

UD3H

G1.Killer M5

G1.Killer 5

The latter two have supposedly really nice onboard sound with an upgradable OP-Amp.

ziadoz

Neo Member
Are there any particular NAS devices people recommend? I'm looking for something with 2TB of storage that supports Windows/OSX/Linux, and I'll mostly be using it for storage and video streaming. I've heard decent things from a colleague about Western Digital's My Book Live 2, but other than that I'm totally stumped.

mkenyon

Banned
Are there any particular NAS devices people recommend? I'm looking for something with 2TB of storage that supports Windows/OSX/Linux, and I'll mostly be using it for storage and video streaming. I've heard decent things from a colleague about Western Digital's My Book Live 2, but other than that I'm totally stumped.
Synology or Qnap + WD Reds, Blacks, or Seagate Barracuda if you don't mind replacing them every so often.
Ugh. I was reading this thread backwards and when I got to the topmost image, I thought DFI had come back from the dead.
I'm fairly certain if those were DFI boards, there would be a requisite faux-Rave LAN background with tons of UV lights.

mkenyon

Banned
So perfect! I feel young again looking at that. Brings back memories of Rocket Arena and CS till 6AM, with a distinct smell of dozens of emptied mountain dew cans lingering.

n0n44m

don't forget to pop some UV-reactive rounded IDE cables in that badboy so you can fill your 60GB Hitachi Deathstar with some divx movie rips you'll never watch

zeelman

212 fan should be blowing towards the exhaust fan at the back of the computer. Rotate it 90 degrees.

I'm sorry, I should've posted a picture with it. This is the inside of the case:

SjulrYJ.jpg

So the cooler needs to point towards the fan in the back?

How would I rotate it? I followed the directions and that's the direction I got. I'm not sure how to turn it. Is it going to mess up my thermal paste?

Could I just take the fan off and point it towards the top fan? Or is that not an exhaust fan?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know, I know... I don't need a super huge, super expensive case for air. But the thing is, I want something big, roomy, room for water if I ever upgrade, and great build quality.

Was originally gonna go with the Corsair 900D - but honestly, it kind of sucks for air and it seems to have a fair bit of plastic and cheaper parts.

Then was pretty set on a Caselabs SM5 or SM8. I still might go with that - but I don't know; the aesthetic is certainly nice, but it doesn't scream nice.

Now I'm looking at the Little Devil LD-PC-47. The black with a red interior looks super sexy - gorgeous. I love how you can buy it with fan control knobs installed on the top. Has two big and uninterrupted places for 120mm fans on the front for good airflow. And has a nice build quality. Just wish it was cheaper.

I've taken a look at Lian-Li, of course... but the interiors may be built well, but they look cheap and plain. And honestly, cable management doesn't look nearly as pretty as what you can do with competitors.

Anything else I should look at? All the others in the OP don't really do much for me. I don't mind the cost so long as the cost is worth it, if you know what I mean.

mkenyon

Banned
The PC-V7 just went in stock at Frozen CPU too. I have a code that essentially discounts it for free shipping.

Despite having a Caselabs case, I keep going back and forth on ordering a PC-V7 anyway for a different build. It's so fricken pretty.

With Lian Li cases, you just need to see them in person. Once you see one in person, it makes buying any other case really difficult due to the insane build quality and finish. Pictures *never* do them justice.

Short list of my fav high end cases besides those mentioned in the OP:

Silverstone FT02, Silverstone TJ07 (needs a bit of work to get it there), Lian Li X900/X1000 (hard to find, SilverPC's has the X1000 in stock though), Lian Li X2000, and the Cubitek Magicube AIO.

Arsenic

Can anyone help me with this? I beg

I don't know where else to post this, but I guess I'll give you guys a crack at this.

I was servicing a friend's computer today (a recent built) and after installing a new SSD and reinstalling windows on the drive (Cloning failed, disk imaging failed), a load of new problems came up.

1) Some USB ports are no longer working. I've experienced this issue myself, but the problems shifted to different ports around the computer after my friend received it. This i feel is very important as it can indicate hardware problems leading to other problems....

2) Network adapter is no longer working. MY friend uses ethernet only and when going to My network and connections > Change adapter settings, there's no network adapter to enable. I can't fix this issues since there's no internet connection whatsoever.

3) Final problem is a dual monitor issue. Hes running two older HP monitors to a Radeon 7970 via DVI, and the other via HDMI. Both monitors turn on and mirror one another. Under settings, windows recognizes just one monitor and theres no option to enable the other as an extension.

Please, any help would be appreciated. I will be away for about a week and can't service his computer, and he needs it for work. I feel awful leaving it at its current state and would really love to resolve one or two of the issues asap. Thanks guys!

knitoe

Can anyone help me with this? I beg

I am guessing Windows if fucked up on the SSD. Disconnect the SSD, put in the old HDD, bootup and see if everything normal. Try doing a fresh install on the SSD. If you still get errors, probably, the SSD is bad. What SSD?

AppleMIX

Ok I have a problem. I just installed a new CPU and it doesn't start. I reinstalled the old CPU and it works fine. Did I get a defective product?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So perfect! I feel young again looking at that. Brings back memories of Rocket Arena and CS till 6AM, with a distinct smell of dozens of emptied mountain dew cans lingering.
Ew.

Ty4on

I'm sorry, I should've posted a picture with it. This is the inside of the case:

SjulrYJ.jpg

So the cooler needs to point towards the fan in the back?

How would I rotate it? I followed the directions and that's the direction I got. I'm not sure how to turn it. Is it going to mess up my thermal paste?

Could I just take the fan off and point it towards the top fan? Or is that not an exhaust fan?
The cooler should blow air towards the back. If you move the cooler you have to clean the thermal paste before reapplying it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ugh. I was reading this thread backwards and when I got to the topmost image, I thought DFI had come back from the dead.

Those were the days lol. Seems like just yesterday I modded my NF4 Ultra-D with the SLI hack (using a conductive pen lol). I actually loved the color scheme but I can see why some didn't like it. The boards were rock solid and great clockers as well. *Nostalgic Sigh*
That reminds me of the socket 939 Opteron craze...

I just passed the 220-802 test for A+ certification. I passed the first one(801) 3 weeks ago. Feels good. Now to get an actual IT job...

Congrats!

jarosh

Hey guys. I downgraded my new Samsung notebook to Win 7 and the only driver missing right now is the USB 3.0 controller. Any idea how I can determine the brand/find the right driver?

what do you think of my build
NZXT Phantom 410 ATX Steel Computer Case
ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II 1006MHZ 4GB GDDR
Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1155
Patriot P34G169UB Black Mamba 4GB 1600MHz Memory
Fractal Integra R2 650W ATX 12V 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply 120mm Sleeve Bearing Fan
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5in Internal Hard Drive
LG GH24NS95 24X SATA Internal DVD Writer Black OEM
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm (3)

kennah

Drop down to a 670 and get an SSD and I hope that you are getting two sticks of ram.

Also why not wait a month for haswell?

brentech

The addition of an SSD is more valuable than the difference between 670 and 680. It really is a big deal, and that's what he's implying.

abunai

Hey guys. I downgraded my new Samsung notebook to Win 7 and the only driver missing right now is the USB 3.0 controller. Any idea how I can determine the brand/find the right driver?

Open up device manager (devmgmt.msc in Run) and look for any usb hosts or similar without any drivers installed, they'll most likely have a name attached. If nothing shows up, a google of your laptops serial code (sticker on the bottom?) would probably turn up which usb controller it uses. edit; duh i'm stupid. Then go to here and plop your code in, and there'll be a support tab with all the drivers on it.

B-Dex

OK guys feedback:

GTX 660 Ti 2GB
i5 3570k
msi z77a-g45 mobo
samsung 840 120gb ssd
wd black 1tb hdd
samsung dvd drive
corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3 1600
cm hyper 212
bitfenix shinobi
CM extreme 2 power plus 625W psu
win 8 ( :( )

jarosh

Open up device manager (devmgmt.msc in Run) and look for any usb hosts or similar without any drivers installed, they'll most likely have a name attached. If nothing shows up, a google of your laptops serial code (sticker on the bottom?) would probably turn up which usb controller it uses.
win 7 has no native usb 3 support, so just shows a generic usb bus controller it doesn't know what to do with. my laptop (samsung 900x3e, came out just a month ago) had win 8 installed, there are no "official" win 7 drivers for it for download. but they're all easy to find. however, in this particular case it doesn't even come with usb 3 drivers, it just used the built-in win 8 ones. and the mainboard identifies itself as "samsung 900x3e" in cpu-z. :/

edit: appreciate the added link, but sadly... well, see above

abunai

win 7 has no native usb 3 support, so just shows a generic usb bus controller it doesn't know what to do with. my laptop (samsung 900x3e, came out just a month ago) had win 8 installed, there are no "official" win 7 drivers for it for download. but they're all easy to find. however, in this particular case it doesn't even come with usb 3 drivers, it just used the built-in win 8 ones. and the mainboard identifies itself as "samsung 900x3e" in cpu-z. :/

edit: appreciate the added link, but sadly... well, see above

ah, must've misinterpreted you then, sorry. If you go into the properties of the usb controller in device manager, and click on the details tab and select the hardware ID from the dropdown and paste it here that'd be helpful. I might be able to get another driver for that manufacturer's USB controller that you could use (I have a hdd of this sort of junk lying about for situations like this). No promises, but I can certainly look.

Baleoce

Hey PC GAF,

Need your opinion on something:

I've been given the task of buying a gaming PC for £500 (for my brothers girlfriends son..). Not ideal, but I figured at worst it would be just about doable. I followed the guidelines on this thread for the "standard - very capable" line of machines based on the i3 3220 builds. But the downside I had was, they needed a monitor/OS/peripherals and junk thrown in. I wanted to be able to build one from scratch, but the more I looked at the budget the less feasible it became.

After a week or so of looking through deals and whatnot, I eventually managed to find a build that would appease the need for monitor/OS/peripherals on a i3-3220 machine, funnily enough from PC World, which is the last place I imagined finding such a base machine. But also with a 560 Ti (apparently overclocked, although I'm skeptical), and a 1080p HDMI/DVI capable monitor.

There's 3 links here that cover all the parts I'll possibly be buying:

1. Main Unit: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...8ca1f02&istItemId=xxraxitxi&istBid=t#longDesc

2. Graphics Card: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sparkle-G...140?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3a806389bc

3. Monitor: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21-5-Asus...mputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item1e78a4807a

-----------------------

Basically I wanted GAFs 2nd opinion on this machine. It comes in around £509 (taking into account delivery costs).

kennah

The addition of an SSD is more valuable than the difference between 670 and 680. It really is a big deal, and that's what he's implying.
That's exactly what I meant :)

Ok. Selling the SG05 and getting a Node. Should I use my hyper 212 or H40? Stock clocks 2600K

Arsenic

Did you install the drivers?

Drivers were automatically installed i assume? Is it possible that maybe they were lost when i deleted the OS on the HDD?
I am guessing Windows if fucked up on the SSD. Disconnect the SSD, put in the old HDD, bootup and see if everything normal. Try doing a fresh install on the SSD. If you still get errors, probably, the SSD is bad. What SSD?
SSD is the samsung 840 pro. I will have him do a fresh install (I'm states away from doing it myself). The problem is i was looking to maintain his cad programs and files.

Addnan

Hey PC GAF,

Need your opinion on something:

I've been given the task of buying a gaming PC for £500 (for my brothers girlfriends son..). Not ideal, but I figured at worst it would be just about doable. I followed the guidelines on this thread for the "standard - very capable" line of machines based on the i3 3220 builds. But the downside I had was, they needed a monitor/OS/peripherals and junk thrown in. I wanted to be able to build one from scratch, but the more I looked at the budget the less feasible it became.

After a week or so of looking through deals and whatnot, I eventually managed to find a build that would appease the need for monitor/OS/peripherals on a i3-3220 machine, funnily enough from PC World, which is the last place I imagined finding such a base machine. But also with a 560 Ti (apparently overclocked, although I'm skeptical), and a 1080p HDMI/DVI capable monitor.

There's 3 links here that cover all the parts I'll possibly be buying:

1. Main Unit: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...8ca1f02&istItemId=xxraxitxi&istBid=t#longDesc

2. Graphics Card: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sparkle-G...140?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3a806389bc

3. Monitor: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00976428Y/ (Don't judge me! I'm at the end of the budget. I have no clue who this manufacturer is xD)

-----------------------

Basically I wanted GAFs 2nd opinion on this machine. It comes in around £509 (taking into account delivery costs).
Any idea what PSU that comes with. They usually have enough to meet the minimum. I don't know if it would be enough to power a 560ti.

My quick attempt at a build. In bed so can't link individually, just a screenshot. http://i.imgur.com/8dh4KUL.png. <doesn't include OS though. Not sure how much that is. Last time I bought OS it was £15. Think that might be over though.

plainr_

That's exactly what I meant :)

Ok. Selling the SG05 and getting a Node. Should I use my hyper 212 or H40? Stock clocks 2600K

How much for the SG05? :p

I bought one recently and love it. Now I want to convert my big for nothing desktop rig to another SFF pc.

Baleoce

Any idea what PSU that comes with. They usually have enough to meet the minimum. I don't know if it would be enough to power a 560ti.

My quick attempt at a build. In bed so can't link individually, just a screenshot. http://i.imgur.com/8dh4KUL.png. <doesn't include OS though. Not sure how much that is. Last time I bought OS it was £15. Think that might be over though.

That was my first concern too, I have no idea what PSU it comes with. Thanks for the build, but it would be way over budget after taking into account the OS and a monitor. I definitely concede that it will be difficult to know for certain whether this base rig will be capable of supporting a 560 with an unknown and probably skimped power supply.

Also, updating the monitor in OP with this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21-5-Asus...mputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item1e78a4807a

Would sleep far easier knowing they were using this one, and it's the same price.

Addnan

Drivers were automatically installed i assume? Is it possible that maybe they were lost when i deleted the OS on the HDD?

SSD is the samsung 840 pro. I will have him do a fresh install (I'm states away from doing it myself). The problem is i was looking to maintain his cad programs and files.
No they are not automatically, with a fresh OS install you would need to install drivers again. Go onto the motherboards website and it will all be listed there. Also the video card drivers will be on its website.

kennah

How much for the SG05? :p

I bought one recently and love it. Now I want to convert my big for nothing desktop rig to another SFF pc.
Honestly I'd be happy to get 20-30 plus shipping. However it comes with no powersupply or drive mounts (unless I canget them from the guy I bought it from) :p

I won't be able to send until the splash comes in though

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The PC-V7 just went in stock at Frozen CPU too. I have a code that essentially discounts it for free shipping.

Despite having a Caselabs case, I keep going back and forth on ordering a PC-V7 anyway for a different build. It's so fricken pretty.

With Lian Li cases, you just need to see them in person. Once you see one in person, it makes buying any other case really difficult due to the insane build quality and finish. Pictures *never* do them justice.

Short list of my fav high end cases besides those mentioned in the OP:

Silverstone FT02, Silverstone TJ07 (needs a bit of work to get it there), Lian Li X900/X1000 (hard to find, SilverPC's has the X1000 in stock though), Lian Li X2000, and the Cubitek Magicube AIO.

Yeah, I saw they were posted on Frozen CPU when I was lurking another forum - that's what kind of made it a "serious contender" now.

cst-1360_3.jpg

Gorgeous.

Do you think the sound-dampening is worth it for the extra $100? I don't mind a little noise - hell, I currently have my fans on max right now cause my case has terrible cooling. $100 seems pretty steep; but if it makes a big difference for an air-cooled rig, I might consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom