• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

From reading the guide, your CPU can't go over the 21 multi. Only in turbo boost mode can it. The amount depends on how many cores are active, 22X for 4 cores, 23X for 3 cores and etc. You overclock by down adjusting the multi and increasing the BLK.

To overclock, for example, 21 multi X 200 BLK = 4.2GHz.

It probably can't run at that speed.

So, you lower to 18 multi:

18 multi X 200 BLK = 3.6GHz.

Keep in mind, you might not be able to run at 200 BLK so you need to adjust that down too.

After sandy bridge, overclock became so much more easy with only needing to increase multi and adding more CPU voltage.

I don't see anywhere the option to adjust the BLK. All I see is the multiplier.

mkenyon

Banned
Ahhhhhhhh

Yeah, this is one of the major reasons we try to steer people away from prebuilts.

You could grab a cheap used P55 board.

Akai__

Ahhhhhhhh

Yeah, this is one of the major reasons we try to steer people away from prebuilts.

You could grab a cheap used P55 board.

Don't see why I, because Haswell and LGA 1150 is out soon. I'm okay with the performance, which I got for now. Just wanted to experiment a little. :p

Pavaloo

After literally spending my entire day trying to progress on this OS X set up, I give up..

Just going to launch about Windows and forget about OS X for now. I'll try again some other day. I made progress at least, I can finally boot into safe mode and access multibeast, but it's all downhill from there.

In other news, it's really nice playing games in ultra so effortlessly. This is a whole new world.

plainr_

After literally spending my entire day trying to progress on this OS X set up, I give up..

Just going to launch about Windows and forget about OS X for now. I'll try again some other day. I made progress at least, I can finally boot into safe mode and access multibeast, but it's all downhill from there.

In other news, it's really nice playing games in ultra so effortlessly. This is a whole new world.

I kinda gave up on this hackintosh as well. I'm consistently receiving different errors on boot and it is hell trying to diagnose the problem. I'll attempt this again when I have more free time.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well I just had a HDD fail on me - damn Blu Ray backups are gone forever. Luckily I have my disc drive, but still kinda sucks. I didn't back 'em up cause they take so much space.

Anyhoo.... looks like I'm in the market for a replacement.

I want to get two 4TB drives. I want one to hold games (going to install my entire PC gaming library), and I want the other for media. I'd prefer them to be the same - I hate this damn WD Green Drive; I don't care if it eats more energy and is a bit more noisy - I want the fastest 4TBs out. Unfortunately, it looks like they all kind of suck.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Well I just had a HDD fail on me - damn Blu Ray backups are gone forever. Luckily I have my disc drive, but still kinda sucks. I didn't back 'em up cause they take so much space.

Anyhoo.... looks like I'm in the market for a replacement.

I want to get two 4TB drives. I want one to hold games (going to install my entire PC gaming library), and I want the other for media. I'd prefer them to be the same - I hate this damn WD Green Drive; I don't care if it eats more energy and is a bit more noisy - I want the fastest 4TBs out. Unfortunately, it looks like they all kind of suck.

You just had a HDD fail and you lost tons of stuff, and you're not going to RAID1 these 2? Why?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You just had a HDD fail and you lost tons of stuff, and you're not going to RAID1 these 2? Why?

Because I don't put anything terribly important on them. I'd rather save the Benjamin and just re-download my games if I lose 'em. Same with media - I just drop .mkv Blu-Ray rips on them when I buy it for easier access - but again, not terribly important.

My OS/C 128GB SSD is backed up. My pictures are backed up. My Macbook Pro is backed up. That's the only stuff that really matters.

zam

Thanks for the info. You say you have 5 fans but the controller only supports 3, what are you using the control the voltage for all of them?

Curious since I'm probably going to do 2 on the front for intake, 1 on the back for exhaust, and 1 on the top for exhaust. Might add intake on the side pending how my temps are.

Using one of these http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=5&prod=80 to control the other fans.

If you are going to add an extra intake put it on the side first, since a side intake is the best for improving temps. Most people also recommend having more intakes than exhausts to keep dust out.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
Using one of these http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=5&prod=80 to control the other fans.

If you are going to add an extra intake put it on the side first, since a side intake is the best for improving temps. Most people also recommend having more intakes than exhausts to keep dust out.
Thanks again for the info zam. I've been poking around for fan controllers and there ain't much out there. I did end up looking at the adjust 108 shortly after your post.

Any major gripes about it? Not a lot of reviews but some say its height is a little on the low side for a 5.25 bay.

zam

Thanks again for the info zam. I've been poking around for fan controllers and there ain't much out there. I did end up looking at the adjust 108 shortly after your post.

Any major gripes about it? Not a lot of reviews but some say its height is a little on the low side for a 5.25 bay.

No complaints at all, fits perfectly in my Define R4, and unsurprisingly it matches the look and feel of the case perfectly. Only downside is it might be a little pricey compared to other fan controllers.

knitoe

knitoe, could you recommend me a good access point? Already have the router portion covered, I just need a second device to serve as a super solid access point with a good horizontal signal.

Price range? You could go with Asus AC66U or N66U router (access point mode) + Asus WL-ANT-157 (directional antannae).

News Bot

Banned
What CPU would offer the best performance for games? Say for instance a CPU-intensive game like DayZ, what would be the best? Dual (2500K/2700K)or Quad (3570K)?

knitoe

What CPU would offer the best performance for games? Say for instance a CPU-intensive game like DayZ, what would be the best? Dual (2500K/2700K)or Quad (3570K)?

All three are quad core CPUs. The 2500K / 2700K are sandy bridge tech while the 3570K is newer ivy bridge tech. At the same clock speed, the 3570K has slightly better performance.

News Bot

Banned
All three are quad core CPUs. The 2500K / 2700K are sandy bridge tech while the 3570K is newer ivy bridge tech. At the same clock speed, the 3570K has slightly better performance.

Really? Didn't know that haha. Still wrestling with whether to get a new CPU now or wait until Haswell, even though the only real gain would be integrated graphics which I don't care about, but I like to squeeze as much performance out as possible.

kennah

Really? Didn't know that haha. Still wrestling with whether to get a new CPU now or wait until Haswell, even though the only real gain would be integrated graphics which I don't care about, but I like to squeeze as much performance out as possible.

Wait for Haswell. The biggest change there that affects you is the change of socket. If you go 1155 now, the best chip you're going to put into it is the 3770K... and that's it. Haswell socket has support and new chips for the next couple years.

News Bot

Banned
Wait for Haswell. The biggest change there that affects you is the change of socket. If you go 1155 now, the best chip you're going to put into it is the 3770K... and that's it. Haswell socket has support and new chips for the next couple years.

That's a good point. Thanks! Gives me a bit of time to build up my budget, too.

Akai__

This is often the source of me spending money on computer parts!

An expensive hobby, right? :p

That's a good point. Thanks! Gives me a bit of time to build up my budget, too.

In addition to what kennah said, Haswell will gain a performance increase (even if little) and a wattage decrease.

Now I'm kicking around the idea of a low cost AMD rig...

For some reason I really want to go AMD. For something different.

AMD just cut the price of the 6300 to $112 (although the cheapest I actually see it online is $119, and newegg so far still has it at $139)

Even though it may not make a whole lot of sense, and I'm not that hard up for cash, that six cores of 3.5 ghz Piledriver goodness is attractive. Judging on this "review" of the 6350/4350

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/FX-6350-CPU-256517/Tests/Test-AMD-FX-6350-FX-4350-1068215/

It should be quite the improvement on my aged Q6600 anyway.

I could then pick up a cheap AM3+ motherboard for ~$70, 8GB RAM for $50, and a GTX 650 TI Boost for $170. Since this is meant to be "cheap", I'd just forgo that new case I want (-$100). My power supply, drives etc are fine. Total $410. Not bad (even if it is near console launch pricing)

And hell, I understand Q6600's are still in demand (dont ask me why). I might be able to get $100 back on ebay for my old stuff if I'm lucky.

Q6600s are a great over clocker and people like to buy them to push them. I had mine at 3.4ghz stable.

yeah. i've kinda sworn off overclocking cpu's since i read it's the cause of 90% of windows failures or something according to microsoft statistics.

i'm kinda ocd and just dont like the idea, however unlikely, of silent os corruption going on behind the scenes.

i also think usually the expense of overclocking defies the point. to spend even $20 or $30 on a better cooler for that Q6600 just isn't worth it imo. better to put that $30 into a better upgrade.

anyways i'm a total overclocking noob but i had it at 2.8 for a while on the stock cooler without any seeming issues. i think i tried going to 3.2 once in the most basic fashion imaginable and had some problems, gave up immediately. right now i leave it at 2.4.

judging by the q9550 in those linked benchmarks above though, that architecture is really starting to lag regardless of clocks.

it's the good stepping at least i know. that'll help if i sell it.

kharma45

yeah. i've kinda sworn off overclocking cpu's since i read it's the cause of 90% of windows failures or something.

i'm kinda ocd and just dont like the idea, however unlikely, of silent os corruption going on behind the scenes.

i also think usually the expense of overclocking defies the point. to spend even $20 or $30 on a better cooler for that Q6600 just isn't worth it imo. better to put that $30 into a upgrade.

anyways i'm a total overclocking noob but i had it at 2.8 for a while on the stock cooler without any seeming issues. i think i tried going to 3.2 once in the most basic fashion imaginable and had some problems, gave up immediately. right now i leave it at 2.4.

judging by the q9550 in those linked benchmarks above though, that architecture is really starting to lag regardless of clocks.

Well that likely explains your aversion to it. Plus now OCing is much easier, it's literally changing two values with Ivy Bridge in the BIOS.

OCing is definitely worth it, I've never heard of that figure for failures being related to it.

Right I need a new mouse again I loved my Shogun Bros one but the first one broke on me and the second which I just received today is also broken so I am moving on.

Any suggestions? No sensei please I had one and lo and behold that one broke on me too.

knitoe

yeah. i've kinda sworn off overclocking cpu's since i read it's the cause of 90% of windows failures or something according to microsoft statistics.

i also think usually the expense of overclocking defies the point. to spend even $20 or $30 on a better cooler for that Q6600 just isn't worth it imo. better to put that $30 into a upgrade.

I don't recommend overclocking on a stock cooler when $30 cooler performs much better. Secondly, after overclocking, you should run test, like Prime95, to make sure it's stable. Thus, you won't be getting errors. In my case, running 2600K@4.5GHz (1.1GHz over stock) for 2 years, it's huge performance gain, in games, rendering and etc.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
No complaints at all, fits perfectly in my Define R4, and unsurprisingly it matches the look and feel of the case perfectly. Only downside is it might be a little pricey compared to other fan controllers.
You're a gentleman and scholar. You've sold me on the Adjust 108. :)

Thanks again!

mkenyon

Banned
Reposting this:
NZXT just released details on the new case. Named the H630.

"Clean. Modern. Silent."

Some screens. Awaiting on details but the site has crashed. http://www.nzxt.com/shhh/
941325_10152829811630301_1620392334_n.jpg

310000_10152829813355301_193430956_n.jpg
The big deal that I found out from their rep is that the entire chassis is steel. The top and front panels even are actual metal, not plastic.

It can fit a 360mm rad on the top and front, or even a 400mm rad on the front.

This may be the first NZXT case I buy.

Reposting this:

The big deal that I found out from their rep is that the entire chassis is steel. The top and front panels even are actual metal, not plastic.

It can fit a 360mm rad on the top and front, or even a 400mm rad on the front.

This may be the first NZXT case I buy.

RSR9QAw.jpg

Surprised at how much room there is inside. Didn't look this big from the outside shots.

NZXT always got to do something weird though. Can't just have a rectangle cpu cutout, no no no. Symmetrical front? Fuck that shit son. Whatever though, nice looking case.

mkenyon

Banned
What I'm excited about is the fact that the whole thing is steel. This means the whole thing can be powdercoated. This will be the home for a long time build I've been throwing around.

What I'm excited about is the fact that the whole thing is steel. This means the whole thing can be powdercoated. This will be the home for a long time build I've been throwing around.

And for what looks like the same price as the 550d. 150 usd isn't a lot for a full atx steel case with all the other things they got going in there.

BWwwPrw.jpg

Black one's interior without the cages. Tons of room.

Also top fans look like there are vents all along the side, but not the front. Guess the front fans will be geting air from the top and bottom.

Akai__

Gigabyte Z87X-OC

Nice, that will be my board then. Any price yet?

Nope.

I'd imagine it'll be in the $300-400 range, unless they've cut some features that were on the Z77 UP7. I do notice one less NIC. The expensive part was in the PLX chip for multiplying PCI-E lanes as well as the power delivery for the CPU. If I'm not mistaken, the price for just the area around the Z77 CPU socket was $200 alone.

Sounds very good to me.

mkenyon

Banned
Nope.

I'd imagine it'll be in the $300-400 range, unless they've cut some features that were on the Z77 UP7. I do notice one less NIC. The expensive part was in the PLX chip for multiplying PCI-E lanes as well as the power delivery for the CPU. If I'm not mistaken, the price for just the area around the Z77 CPU socket was $200 alone.

mkenyon

Banned
SHIT JUST GOT REAL

AMD Radeon HD 9970 Hawaii Detailed, Volcanic Islands GPUs Set for Late 2013

What we do have is the bare list of GPU specs. The 20nm chip has 4,096 Stream Processors, four geometry engines, 16 SPUs (serial processor units), 256 TMUs, 64 ROPs and a GDDR5 interface of 512 bits.

Think this is thread worthy?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's a ChipHELL rumor, so we'll see who half-confirms this story.
Either way, more new stuff would be nice.

Not liking the full shield on the Z87 MPower. Should be broken up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom