• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

My p8p67pro does that. I can't ever turn it off, if i do it's hard to turn back on again. I have to flick the power switch on the psu off and on repeatedly until it starts up again.

Have you updated the Bios? Originally, when the MB first came out, they had problems cold booting, but that was fixed in a early Bios update.

Smash88

Banned
ASUS Z87 Sabertooth

I2wx5SN.jpg

I know what I'm getting for my new build in June.

scogoth

Did you move?

No just a trip. Needed something to distract me because 50 shades of GAF build has been put on hold until mkenyons move and Compact Water Wonder has been put on hold until you get your case.

Just glad the laptop went through cause I left like 4 days after the shipping error

You really don't need that much RAM. 8GB is generally more than enough.

I'm a 3D modeler and I work with huge Maya and PhotoShop files. At the same time. And I will have 2 monitors running. With movies and Twitch streams. I'm not sure 8 GB is going to cut it. Maybe 16 would, but why stop there? I see no reason not to just fill this thing up with the best and most memory this MB can handle now and never mess with it again.

Sanic

Right now, I have an AMD Phenom II 840 and i'm looking to upgrade, but the thought of spending around $300 for both an intel cpu AND mobo is kind of hard for me to swallow. I feel like I already know the answer, but would I be truly cheating myself by going with some AMD cpu to cut down costs? I'm simply tired of being cpu limited in basically everything I play (esp PS2, performance is awful for me), and so it would be nice to have just a newer proc that can get me through the next couple years until I do a new build from scratch. Basically if I can get through the next year without being cpu limited, i'll be happy.

Dosia

Do these 27" and 30" ips monitors require a beefy gpu to play games, or would my 560ti handle them and make the purchase worth it?

kennah

Right now, I have an AMD Phenom II 840 and i'm looking to upgrade, but the thought of spending around $300 for both an intel cpu AND mobo is kind of hard for me to swallow. I feel like I already know the answer, but would I be truly cheating myself by going with some AMD cpu to cut down costs? I'm simply tired of being cpu limited in basically everything I play (esp PS2, performance is awful for me), and so it would be nice to have just a newer proc that can get me through the next couple years until I do a new build from scratch. Basically if I can get through the next year without being cpu limited, i'll be happy.

What motherboard do you have?

knitoe

Do these 27" and 30" ips monitors require a beefy gpu to play games, or would my 560ti handle them and make the purchase worth it?

At 1440p and 1600p, you need highend cards, even SLI / CF, to run the higher settings. If you are only using a 560ti, performance would not be worth it for those resolution.

Sanic

Take the $180 for that chip.

Put it to the side.

Wait one month. Adding to that pile as you can.

Sell current mobo and chip for $120

Buy Haswell for $300.

I agree in principle, but I guess it's more about my use case and not so much money. Ivy Bridge doesn't bench that much better (if at all) than the 8350 at 1080p on a single GPU (660 in my case), and Haswell as we all know will only offer a small boost over IB at stock clock speeds.

I guess from my perspective, it's more of a case where I don't have to hassle with selling anything, save money, and get the performance I need for the next year or two until I build again. I almost feel like blowing all of that money on a decent Haswell is like throwing out the baby with the bath water; i'm just throwing away money I don't have to.

ChanHuk

Banned
Will the IGP on Haswell be enough to run Dolphin and PCSX2 at 30fps 1080p? Hell, I'll settle for 720p. Basically I want to build a HTPC that can be an emulation box on the cheap. Figured to with Haswell and later down the road throw in a midrange GPU if I ever decide to do PC gaming.

mkenyon

Banned
I agree in principle, but I guess it's more about my use case and not so much money. Ivy Bridge doesn't bench that much better (if at all) than the 8350 at 1080p on a single GPU (660 in my case), and Haswell as we all know will only offer a small boost over IB at stock clock speeds.

I guess from my perspective, it's more of a case where I don't have to hassle with selling anything, save money, and get the performance I need for the next year or two until I build again. I almost feel like blowing all of that money on a decent Haswell is like throwing out the baby with the bath water; i'm just throwing away money I don't have to.
Throwing away money is buying a Piledriver/Bulldozer CPU. They just don't cut it when it comes to gaming performance. We're talking about an additional $130 for a motherboard, which isn't a whole lot of money.

Regardless, your 760G chipset wouldn't even be able to get the most out of a CPU upgrade. You'd be severely limited in overclocking potential, which is the only upshot of Piledriver.

In any game where CPU is a bottleneck, it ends up competing against FIRST GEN core series processors. With Haswell, that is now three generations old.

skyrim-99th.gif

skyrim-beyond-16.gif

arkham-99th.gif

arkham-beyond-50.gif

If you were talking about building a PC for heavily threaded applications where per-thread performance isn't a concern, like rendering video, the 8350 starts to make a lot more sense. But when talking about a gaming machine, there's no reason to buy an 8350.

*edit*
I just read your post again, I must have blanked out on this part:

Ivy Bridge doesn't bench that much better (if at all) than the 8350 at 1080p on a single GPU (660 in my case)

You have to be careful on looking at benchmarks. Ideally, you want to find benchmarks of games that are known to be CPU intensive. BF3 SP, Crytek stuff, and Metro would be the ones to avoid as they generally perform the same regardless of CPU due to how hard they put a bottleneck on GPUs. Anything that is UE3, Source, Blizzard, among others, and the 8350 competes with i3s, first gen core i5s, and even Core 2 Quads in some instances.
Will the IGP on Haswell be enough to run Dolphin and PCSX2 at 30fps 1080p? Hell, I'll settle for 720p. Basically I want to build a HTPC that can be an emulation box on the cheap. Figured to with Haswell and later down the road throw in a midrange GPU if I ever decide to do PC gaming.
There aren't any benchmarks out. In either case, both of those are far more dependent upon CPU power, and you'll want to OC it to 4.5ish to get solid performance. Dolphin is single threaded and PSCX2 is dual threaded.

Sanic

You're right, I should probably stop trying to rationalize the AMD to myself . I'll just grab a decent intel mobo from the OP and go for it, thanks.

ChanHuk

Banned
There aren't any benchmarks out. In either case, both of those are far more dependent upon CPU power, and you'll want to OC it to 4.5ish to get solid performance. Dolphin is single threaded and PSCX2 is dual threaded.

I'm guessing I should opt for Haswell or find an older SB i5 if I want an emulation box?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm guessing I should opt for Haswell or find an older SB i5 if I want an emulation box?
If you think you can wait a month, definitely worth it.
You're right, I should probably stop trying to rationalize the AMD to myself . I'll just grab a decent intel mobo from the OP and go for it, thanks.
Yeah, it's really sad right now.

I'm praying that the move to n-threaded games next gen will see a good leveling of the playing field. Until then, there's really only one choice for gaming machines.

Ocho

So I'm looking for really silent fans for my case working @ 100%. My mic is picking up my PC airplane-ish dull.

Any recommendations?

mkenyon

Banned
Basically any fan around 1000-1200RPM is going to push air while being really quiet.

Cougar Vortex and Arctic Cooling F12 come to mind as good ~$10 options. You could go for low speed Yate Loons as well if you wanted to go down in price. Noiseblockers if you wanted to go up in price.

Ocho

Basically any fan around 1000-1200RPM is going to push air while being really quiet.

Cougar Vortex and Arctic Cooling F12 come to mind as good ~$10 options. You could go for low speed Yate Loons as well if you wanted to go down in price. Noiseblockers if you wanted to go up in price.

As always, mkenyon to the rescue. Thanks a bunch.

+1 for the Cougars. VERY quite, especially if you use the rubber screws.

Reposting this:

The big deal that I found out from their rep is that the entire chassis is steel. The top and front panels even are actual metal, not plastic.

It can fit a 360mm rad on the top and front, or even a 400mm rad on the front.

This may be the first NZXT case I buy.

Isn't that like a step back after the SM5?
I don't think I can do steel cases anymore after working on a friend's Lian Li!

teiresias

Well, my ASUS RMA seems to finally be wrapping up - took them long enough.

Since they don't have any of the GTX670 DCUII Top in stock to replace my broken one with they'll be sending me a non-Top (but still slightly factory overclocked) GTX680 (specifically the GTX680-DC2O-2GDR5). Seems fine to me so I accepted it, only annoyance is the GTX680 will take up 3 PCI-E slots so I'm going to have to take out my Xonar soundcard until I upgrade to Haswell and get a mobo that will accomadate them both. Soundcard isn't a big deal though since I mainly play on my plasma via HDMI and pass the sound to the entertainment center that way - bypassing the sound card altogether.

mkenyon

Banned
Isn't that like a step back after the SM5?
I don't think I can do steel cases anymore after working on a friend's Lian Li!
Who says anything about after? :p

Right now, I have:

Rampage Gene IV/3820/690 system (caselabs sm5)
Gigabyte Z77X-UP7/3570K/7970 Matrix system (test bench, probably headed for LD PC-V7)
ASUS P8Z77-I/2500K/670 system (Prodigy)

and when Haswell launches I'll add an MPower Max, 4770K, and who knows what for GPU. That'll likely be the one to go in it.

I may end up going with the Gigabyte G1.Killer mATX board with a 4770K, and opt for the Corsair 350D though.

Specifically, this is Sandy Bridge Enthusiast. Socket 2011, meant for workstations and high end gaming rigs. That means 6 cores and 12 threads of beastmode Intel processing with 48 PCI-E lanes as opposed to 16 with consumer Sandy/Ivy.

There will also be a drop-in upgrade CPU option with IvyBridge-E which will be released in September/October this year.

Okay, so I'll basically propose two different systems. #1 is all out beast encoding machine of doom. This should overclock to 4.7-5.0 GHz. I'm leaving out the GPU as it sounds like you'll want to wait at least a few weeks to see what NVIDIA will be doing. Otherwise, I strongly recommend the 7970 as the Titan will push you over your budget.

CPU - Intel 3930K - $570
Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - $270
Memory - 16GB Ripjaws 2133MHz - $140 or 32GB Ripjaws 2133MHz - $285
Solid State Drive - Crucial m500 240GB - $209 or Samsung 840 500GB - $370 (though is often on sale for $300-320)
PSU - Corsair AX760 Platinum - $170 ($153 through tomorrow w/ code MAPS10)
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i - $106
Case - Fractal Arc Midi R2 - $100

Total $1565-$1880

The second one serves as both an option as a 'buy now' or wait for Haswell, as the CPU and motherboard prices will be exactly the same. This will do great for multimedia creation albeit not quite as fast as the 3930K. It will have identical gaming performance though. Again, omitting the video card for reasons said above.

CPU - Intel 3770K $330
Motherboard - MSI MPower - $200
Memory - 16GB 2133MHz MPower - $230
Solid State Drive - Crucial m500 240GB - $209 or Samsung 840 500GB - $370 (though is often on sale for $300-320)
PSU - Corsair AX760 Platinum - $170 ($153 through tomorrow w/ code MAPS10)
CPU Cooler - Corsair H60 - $65
Case - Fractal Arc Midi R2 - $100

Total - $1304-$1463

Factor in $450-600 for either a 7970 or GTX 780.

As for monitor, it really depends on what you want out of it. The Dell U2412M at $300 sounds like it is what you want. Alternatively you can go for the ASUS VG23AH at $200, or any sort of the 27" 1440p monitors out there which will set you back $500-700.

For keyboard, since you program, I'd definitely recommend a mechanical keyboard. Here's a link to a search for fullsized, backlit mechanical keyboards. People tend to love Cherry Red keys (linear and light actuation) as well as Cherry Browns (tactile feedback and light actuation). Cherry Blues tend to be the favorite of typists, but are really loud if you don't like that.

Thanks! I've been looking at some of the Haswell info. Seems there wont be a hexa-core released this summer? Although I read that the gaming performance is better than SB and IB? I've been waiting 5 years to build this, I think I can wait a month more (HA watch me get impatient xD )

Yea, I'll see what Nvidia gots cooking at the end of the month. I hear there might be a new edition of the Titian?

Might need a larger PSU though.

Smokey

Who says anything about after? :p

Right now, I have:

Rampage Gene IV/3820/690 system (caselabs sm5)
Gigabyte Z77X-UP7/3570K/7970 Matrix system (test bench, probably headed for LD PC-V7)
ASUS P8Z77-I/2500K/670 system (Prodigy)

and when Haswell launches I'll add an MPower Max, 4770K, and who knows what for GPU. That'll likely be the one to go in it.

I may end up going with the Gigabyte G1.Killer mATX board with a 4770K, and opt for the Corsair 350D though.

I thought you got a titan

mkenyon

Banned
With the LE rumor, nah.

I've contemplated trying to pick up the premiere card from the last 5 or so gens for a cool office display. Maybe I'll eventually just put the 690 in an argon-filled glass case.

appaws

Banned

A great article. Everybody should go read it. Cutress is good.

My takeaway for this thread....as far as builds go, we maybe should be recommending that everybody put as much as possible into the GPU as opposed to everything else, particularly at the lower end/1080p gaming setup. I have read that conventional wisdom is that you should put 1/3 of your budget into a video card....but under current conditions that should be much higher for building a gaming rig...maybe 50% would be a better guide....

I mean, he had to go to ridiculous extremes to get to a level that differentiates between these CPUs.

mkenyon

Banned
The article is missing a lot of information. I don't intend to sound crass, I mean this in a literal way: Average FPS has been shown to be a nearly meaningless figure over the last 6 months.

I get that there was a *ton* of testing to be done. Going in depth with the numbers would expand the test to the point that it would be overwhelming. Literally, it would take hundreds of hours to do it.

But, Anandtech knows better, and I'm truly surprised they would put out an article like this without any proper frame time testing.

It's been shown time and time again that CPUs have a significant effect on performance. It just entirely depends on the engine.

Skyrim, a game known to be CPU dependent:

skyrim-99th.gif

Arkham City, UE3 based which is very CPU dependent:

arkham-99th.gif

BF3 Single Player, not CPU dependent at all:

bf3-99th.gif

Crysis 2, not very CPU dependent:

crysis-99th.gif

Here's Dota 2 and Tribes: Ascend, the prior Source engine, the latter UE3 engine. This is on the same processor, and simply overclocking it with fairly significant differences in frame times.

*edit*

This is all with a 7950, by the way.

So I had some money to blow and decided to order a maxed out Alienware m18x R2. Placed my order on 4/20 and Dell's delayed it three times now, with my new and current delivery date set for 5/17, which they note is NOT a guarantee and further delays should be expected.

They called and left an automated message asking for approval to proceed with the order, giving me the option to cancel. So... trying to make a decision - keep it, or cancel and wait for Haswell and the 700m series and place a new order?

I'm a bit annoyed with the delays given the fortune they charge, so I'm leaning toward canceling.

mkenyon

Banned
Since you walked into the desktop thread, I'll go ahead and put this out there since someone else definitely will.

Is there a specific reason why you need a laptop instead of a desktop?

In any case, Haswell's big deal is power savings and mobile performance. I definitely would not be buying a new laptop right now.

kennah

So I had some money to blow and decided to order a maxed out Alienware m18x R2. Placed my order on 4/20 and Dell's delayed it three times now, with my new and current delivery date set for 5/17, which they note is NOT a guarantee and further delays should be expected.

They called and left an automated message asking for approval to proceed with the order, giving me the option to cancel. So... trying to make a decision - keep it, or cancel and wait for Haswell and the 700m series and place a new order?

I'm a bit annoyed with the delays given the fortune they charge, so I'm leaning toward canceling.

Cancel it. Wait for the new stuff since it's this close.

Since you walked into the desktop thread, I'll go ahead and put this out there since someone else definitely will.

Is there a specific reason why you need a laptop instead of a desktop?

In any case, Haswell's big deal is power savings and mobile performance. I definitely would not be buying a new laptop right now.

I've already got a killer i7-3970X desktop with two 690's in quad SLI, this was just more of a money to burn purchase to replace my aging Vaio notebook. I think I'll just cancel it and wait for the fresh offerings they announce at E3.

knitoe

I've already got a killer i7-3970X desktop with two 690's in quad SLI, this was just more of a money to burn purchase to replace my aging Vaio notebook. I think I'll just cancel it and wait for the fresh offerings they announce at E3.

Quad SLI scaling is terrible. Sale the 690's and go Dual / Triple Titans.

Demon Ice

Banned

Two Titans will obliterate two 690's for the same price and with less power draw, just an FYI. Quad SLI scaling is atrocious.

nitric0

I haven't kept up with computer hardware for over a year. I mainly play Starcraft 2 and my Phenom II X4 965BE is showing its age when there are a lot of units on screen :(

Is it worth upgrading to the 3570k or should I wait for the Haswell chip benchmarks?

Current setup:
PII X4 965BE
HD6870
8GB RAM (1333)

mkenyon

Banned
About that Anandtech article. The author is a member on OCN, and said this when asked why he only included average FPS numbers.

Time limitations: Reviewing is a freelance gig - we get paid per review. If we spend too much time fixing product X rather than reviewing it, it means less money at the end of the month. This article is going to be a progressive one, with this article taking place over 3 months of testing (alongside other testing. As a result, I need benchmarks that can just go, with me checking every 10 minutes for a number. This is why it's all benchmarks with benchmark modes or timedemos - dealing with 1400+ sets of numbers, each taking 10 minutes to get, with FRAPs would both kill me (with boredom) and cause me to go bankrupt. I'm sorry it's the situation we have.

I'm seriously appalled that Anandtech would even post that article.

kharma45

I haven't kept up with computer hardware for over a year. I mainly play Starcraft 2 and my Phenom II X4 965BE is showing its age when there are a lot of units on screen :(

Is it worth upgrading to the 3570k or should I wait for the Haswell chip benchmarks?

Current setup:
PII X4 965BE
HD6870
8GB RAM (1333)

Your CPU is still good enough so I would wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom