• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok

I'm caving in, I can't wait any longer.

I've been gaming on my current PC for 7 years now: And have missed out on BF3, Far Cry 3 and what not.

ATI Radeon 5570

Core2Duo 2.6ghz Intel

3gb RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium

I need final thoughts on my buy list, is it a decent build? I sure do hope this will be easy assembling it, since my only experience in putting on together is a low profile hp PC

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/VACd

Addnan

Ok

I'm caving in, I can't wait any longer.

I've been gaming on my current PC for 7 years now: And have missed out on BF3, Far Cry 3 and what not.

ATI Radeon 5570

Core2Duo 2.6ghz Intel

3gb RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium

I need final thoughts on my buy list, is it a decent build?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/VBs4
Looks good, but you can go with a lower wattage power supply and that cooler isn't really needed with 3570K unless you just want it to look good. Something like the hyper 212 got me to 4.6ghz and don't see it going any higher under liquid. Try to add SSD.

Looks good, but you can go with a lower wattage power supply and that cooler isn't really needed with 3570K unless you just want it to look good. Something like the hyper 212 got me to 4.6ghz and don't see it going any higher under liquid. Try to add SSD.
I'm planning on getting another 670 a few days before BF4 comes out, I have no idea how to calculate the wattage

On getting an SSD, I'm sticking with my old OS in my hard drive

edit: changed the cpu cooler http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Vmw6

Hopefully I can get a decent price for my gtx 670.

Assuming what they are saying is true, would you really sell your 670 for a 770 for a measly 5% performance increase? Unless you plan on getting a 780 which I'd image to have a 10-15% performance increase at best.

Akai__

Preparing for Haswell, aswell for building my 1st PC by myself. :)

ynkExA6.jpg

Thanks for recommending the BitFenix Shinobi XL mkenyon. I really like it, especially with the orange logo and stripes. <3

zam

Best 140mm fan for a Fractal R4?

The ones that comes with the case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352007

or worth spending the extra buck a fan for Corsair AF140? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181028

Could care less about if they match. Just looking for something that pushes some air and isn't loud as hell. I'm not an OCer so don't need anything insane.
The Define R4 comes with 2 fans already mounted (1x intake 1x exhaust) and the 140mm Fractal fans are perfectly fine if you aren't going to OC or you're not super sensitive to fan noise. Especially since the R4 has a fan controller on the front for up to 3 fans so you can run them very quiet on low-voltage. I have 5x 140mm Fractal Design fans on my R4 and with the fans on low voltage I can't hear them at all. If you aren't going to OC then 2 fans should suit your needs (possibly another intake fan if you really want it).

musicjunkie

Neo Member
The Define R4 comes with 2 fans already mounted (1x intake 1x exhaust) and the 140mm Fractal fans are perfectly fine if you aren't going to OC or you're not super sensitive to fan noise. Especially since the R4 has a fan controller on the front for up to 3 fans so you can run them very quiet on low-voltage. I have 5x 140mm Fractal Design fans on my R4 and with the fans on low voltage I can't hear them at all. If you aren't going to OC then 2 fans should suit your needs (possibly another intake fan if you really want it).
Thanks for the info. You say you have 5 fans but the controller only supports 3, what are you using the control the voltage for all of them?

Curious since I'm probably going to do 2 on the front for intake, 1 on the back for exhaust, and 1 on the top for exhaust. Might add intake on the side pending how my temps are.

Mad Max

Wasn't there some kind of issue with the upcoming Haswell mobo? A bug or something?

Yes, there is a bug in early chipsets that affects S3 sleep. I believe the problem is that when the PC goes into sleep mode with certain USB3 thumbdrives plugged in, it will fail to display PDF files and resume videos after it wakes up, so you'll have to restart the PC. I think Intel fixed the problem a while ago in a later stepping, but early mobos may still have the problem.

Personally I don't mind this too much for a normal PC, since I never use the sleep function anyway. However on a laptop I could see this being annoying if you have one of the affected thumbdrives.

Vyer

Took the system I built a few years ago and did a few mid level upgrades. Currently:

i5 2500K (original)
ASUS P8P67 (original)
GTX 660 (New up from GTX 460)
10GB DDR3 1600 (+4GB added)
1TB 7200RPM HDD (New up from 500GB, added 500 as additional storage)
Enermax Ostrog Case (New from...I dunno, some other case I had)

Obviously an SSD would be the next upgrade. Do you guys think it's worth it to go all the way with a new CPU/MB?

bro1

Banned
Took the system I built a few years ago and did a few mid level upgrades. Currently:

i5 2500K (original)
ASUS P8P67 (original)

Obviously an SSD would be the next upgrade. Do you guys think it's worth it to go all the way with a new CPU/MB?

I think getting the SSD would tide you over for a while especially if you OC your i5.

kennah

i5 2500K (original)
ASUS P8P67 (original)

are you overclocked? Probably not much point in upgrading right now.

i5 2500K (original)
ASUS P8P67 (original)

Rocking the 2500k OC'd right now and I see no point in upgrading personally. I'd go for an SSD, such a useful upgrade. Smaller drive for OS + few games and a larger drive for storage.

big_z

Best 140mm fan for a Fractal R4?

The ones that comes with the case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352007

or worth spending the extra buck a fan for Corsair AF140? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181028

Could care less about if they match. Just looking for something that pushes some air and isn't loud as hell. I'm not an OCer so don't need anything insane.

the case fans that come with the R4 are okay. they would be good if they had a better motor/bearing. at all speeds they make a high pitch noise that can be heard.

the corsair af140s are even louder than the stock fans but the noise is lower pitch, i do not recommend them if you care about low noise.

bequiet silent wings 2 have similar specs the the stock R4s but with much better motor design. i have yet to try them myself but i plan to soon. apparently they're some of the quietest fans out there while still performing quiet well.

DJ_Lae

Then why upgrade at all? Sounds hyperbolic but spending £1000 without getting one is a very bad idea imo.

Can't argue with this. My last computer (an budget even at the time X2-7750) I upgraded with an SSD to keep it more usable for general stuff to stave off the eventual complete overhaul.

And man, it made a huge difference even on that pig of a machine, everything was so much snappier. Sure, it didn't help with gaming performance or anything but everyday use I could never go back.

Akai__

I'm running Prime95 currently. Core temps never went over 70°C under 100% CPU load. Is this a good result?

Edit: Running since 90 minutes.

Vyer

I think getting the SSD would tide you over for a while especially if you OC your i5.

are you overclocked? Probably not much point in upgrading right now.

Rocking the 2500k OC'd right now and I see no point in upgrading personally. I'd go for an SSD, such a useful upgrade. Smaller drive for OS + few games and a larger drive for storage.

I think I'll keep my 2500K until Intel releases mainstream CPUs with 6 cores.

Thanks guys, kinda what I figured. I haven't OC'd yet though I've always meant to. I assume the process is fairly straightforward.

kennah

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/VDUv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/VDUv/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/VDUv/benchmarks/
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.63 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($199.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($219.00 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($229.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($427.37 @ DirectCanada)
Case: BitFenix Ghost (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.84 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($65.00 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($100.92 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Total: $2022.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-07 13:01 EDT-0400)

I think this is the build I'm going to put together for a friend for his production computer. Actual purchase will be the haswell/7xx equivalents.

Smokey

i5 2500K (original)
ASUS P8P67 (original)

My Rocket bruh -- 2500k/2600k till death ya dig

ShOcKwAvE

Just graduated from a Corsair Hydro H100i (for overclocking needs) to a Hydro 110, maybe I can get up to a stable 4.8GHz on my 2600k!!!

Also, just ordered two GTX Titans.

....Two day delivery prices blow..

How much will the H110 improve your temps? A few degrees at most? I doubt that's what's holding you back.

I'm running Prime95 currently. Core temps never went over 70°C under 100% CPU load. Is this a good result?

Edit: Running since 90 minutes.

Definitely not a bad result, but I suggest the Intel Burn Test:

Intel Burn Test

Akai__

I thought I could overclock my i7-860, before Haswell comes out, but it looks my Motherboard is not letting me.

The multiplier is set to 21 and the Bus Speed to 133Mhz, but I can only decrease the multiplier, not increase it.

I guess this will not work, with my cheap motherboard, which came with the pre-build PC, 2 1/2 years ago. :(

Argonis

Do yall think an upgrade from an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition to an Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz is a pretty good upgrade?

I keep getting the below warning sometimes when exiting games:

HRVsT.png

It can't be because of my specs can it?

CPU - Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.4Ghz
RAM - Corsair Memory Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 @ 2000MHz
CPU - 4GB EVGA GTX 680 Classified

Whatever it is, it's driving me nuts!

bro1

Banned

HRVsT.png

I get that every now and then. I think it's mainly on old games

knitoe

I thought I could overclock my i7-860, before Haswell comes out, but it looks my Motherboard is not letting me.

The multiplier is set to 21 and the Bus Speed to 133Mhz, but I can only decrease the multiplier, not increase it.

I guess this will not work, with my cheap motherboard, which came with the pre-build PC, 2 1/2 years ago. :(

Read up with this guide:
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

HRVsT.png

I am running 2600K@4.5GHz & SLI Titans and still get that error sometimes. Never had it happen while running CF 6970 so I am assuming it's a Nvidia driver issue.

Akai__

I hope nVidia is allowing custom coolers for their new cards. And is this really legit or is this just a troll, who engraved GTX 770 and GTX 780 to a Titan? Probably the 1st. :D

Read up with this guide:
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

I am running 2600K@4.5GHz & SLI Titans and still get that error sometimes. Never had it happen while running CF 6970 so I am assuming it's a Nvidia driver issue.

Will do, thanks.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

HRVsT.png

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Whats more annoying it never goes away even when choosing not to show the error again.

HRVsT.png

I used to get that with Windows 7 running on both gtx 570 and gtx 670 and alt tabbing out of games like WOW. Now i'm running gtx 670 on Windows 8. I think it has something to do with combination of aero, windows 7, and nvidia if it doesn't happen in AMD cards as was posted a few posts above me.

Akai__

Yeah generally the prebuilt motherboards don't support overclocking. What Brand/model/chipset is it?

I missed your post earlier, sorry. It's the Medion MS-7651 and chipset is P55.

I looked into the article, but it didn't fix the problem. I can't go over the 21 multiplier and I don't see an option to adjust other things described in the article.

Well, Haswell isn't that far away, luckily. At least my PC is silent now. :p

I'm in the market for a new monitor.

I've got a 1440x900 resolution monitor right now, I think it's around 19".

I was going to go for a 24" monitor but I really want something that matches the visual quality of the retina screens you see on iPads or on the new iMac. I've noticed my photographs look fantastic on those displays but a bit low res on my current monitor and I'm assuming that's down to the resolution.

Would one of the 24" monitors in the OP give me what I want?

knitoe

I missed your post earlier, sorry. It's the Medion MS-7651 and chipset is P55.

I looked into the article, but it didn't fix the problem. I can't go over the 21 multiplier and I don't see an option to adjust other things described in the article.

Well, Haswell isn't that far away, luckily. At least my PC is silent now. :p

From reading the guide, your CPU can't go over the 21 multi. Only in turbo boost mode can it. The amount depends on how many cores are active, 22X for 4 cores, 23X for 3 cores and etc. You overclock by down adjusting the multi and increasing the BLK.

To overclock, for example, 21 multi X 200 BLK = 4.2GHz.

It probably can't run at that speed.

So, you lower to 18 multi:

18 multi X 200 BLK = 3.6GHz.

Keep in mind, you might not be able to run at 200 BLK so you need to adjust that down too.

After sandy bridge, overclock became so much more easy with only needing to increase multi and adding more CPU voltage.

mkenyon

Banned
knitoe, could you recommend me a good access point? Already have the router portion covered, I just need a second device to serve as a super solid access point with a good horizontal signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom